Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Do NOT Purchase from FloLive/FloSports

Post by primitiveskills »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:59 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:42 pm
genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:13 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:49 am Is there a free trial at all? That's one thing I was having trouble finding. Though I may have exhausted that with the debacle 2 years ago
I do remember from 2 years ago i wasn't careful when i signed up to watch just that 1 game and the default is billing you up front on the annual plan.
So i paid $150 to watch Hopkins get trounced on a crappy school feed with a Georgetown student doing the play by play, i might try it again on the monthly plan just because I'm a masochistic idiot
The scumbags based in Texas stole my money as well. Don’t purchase anything for GT games.

DocBarrister
Don’t buy anything from these scumbags. I cannot believe GT still allows these scumbags to sell their fraud on the school’s athletic websites.

A class action suit was actually filed because of their deceptive practices:

For several years their subscription model has emphasized the per-month price, while the actual subscription was billed annually.[45][46] As a consequence, in 2022 a class action lawsuit was filed against FloSports in New York federal court due to their business practices. The suit claimed that FloSports 'misleads customers into believing they are only being charged a monthly fee — rather than the full annual fee — when they first sign up for the sports streaming service.'[47] FloSports later settled this case out of court in November 2023.[48]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FloSports

These Texas scumbags also sold their customers’ private information without their permission.

https://www.flosportsvppasettlement.com/

Georgetown should be banned from all sports until they cut ties with these turds.

DocBarrister
To further Doc's post, a couple of things for those who got stuck with an annual subscription they didn't think they signed up for...
- if still active, you can cancel and still catch the Georgetown-JHU game (cancellation won't take effect until next Monday), and
- you can file a claim under the class action settlement until next Monday
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by jhu06 »

-This is a veteran team and a veteran staff. They should be ready to execute. They've played 7 mostly excellent quarters.
-The athletic department chose the turf, the kiddos practice on it. That's not an excuse. If anything I think the new turf helped because the lines were fresh and clear and there was a call early in the denver game Hopkins got because the refs could see the lines so well.
-They need to draw more penalties in the offensive zone.
-Too early to say on the mazzone replacements.
-51 was right. Clearing is up to 93 percent from 88 percent last year.

-There was a massive Inside Lacrosse article last week on the program over the last few years and probably the last on the DP to PM transition. I need to read it fully.
molo

Post by molo »

It’s an interesting article, mentioning the improvement last year but discussing some issues from previous years that some remaining reservations about the current head coach. It also says that a current Ivy coach could have had the job had he accepted the offer.
The article provides no insight into the parting of ways with the offensive coordinator.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I don't know whether it was 5,000 words or not but regardless I am not sure Foy achieved his goal if it was somedefinitive history. I had some of the following reactions:
- The annual Hopkins threads covered and covers all of these topics to the nth degree - so there was no surprises on MIlliman's style or in virtually anything he said - he's hands-off/concentrates on culture/delegates to AC's etc. etc. Did not have to be sitting down for any of that.
- I liked all of Baker's comments - it would appear she is pretty smart - thinks before she speaks AND she wants to win
- The Murphy thing was poorly addressed IMO - casually adding one detail yet still very ambiguous - and then asking MIlliman - of course he can't say anything about a player that's still on another team let alone Maryland
- Epstein - Probably had to be covered in such an article but while giving Milliman a chance to walk back and praise the player - all anybody is going to remember are the quotes - Foy introduces the topic mentioning PM "learning" but he doesn't emphaisze the point given that now MIlliman doesn't say anything and has obviously practiced and mastered coach speak - asked by Russell on that podcast for a freshman supperstar - you got Eric Chick. He also doesn't mention that after Epstein's injury he was never close to the same player that set all the Hopkins freshmen records - which IMO contributed mightily to his performance on the field and his resulting dissatisfaction in the team and himself
- I thought DeSimone's comments were interesting and well measured - very high road

2 Biggest things
- Petro and timing - this one drives me nuts. If someone can explain to me when - if the admin has decided a change is necessary andthey want a different direction - in the life cycle of a college season the optimal time to dismiss a coach is I think you could sell that one for a lot of money. SO what if - and this is at least a reasonable scenario - COVID had never escaped the bat or pangolin - and Hopkins had finished their 2020 season with road games against Navy and Delaware and the BIG (Maryland/Penn State/Rutgers and Ohio State all had very decent teams)? They would have had to finish 5-2 to get above 500. I say probabilities were slim. So in mid May the season is over and then Petro goes? What's the difference? There is no time in the season cycle where dismissing a coach or a coach leaving on his own doesn't affect the current players. You can't hold MIlliman to one standard - COVID is not an excuse just win baby - and then think DP should have gotten a COVID pity extra year. The bottom line is that when a coach like David has so much success and contributes so much to the program folks are going to be upset if he leaves not on his terms. SO to my mind if you made the decision - make it - and rip the band aid off. They got a new coach within a month. I can't be clear enough - if they were petty with David in terms of final compensation that was wrong - even if legally correct - and lacked class.
- Even with DeSimone's comments - I don't believe the reader received any insight into how players feel about their head coach or react to him. Using the old line - they don't have to like him but do they respect him? Do they understand the culture and are they all willing to make the boat go faster? There's various anecdotes that he's probably not grabbing the open mic night at the local comedy club but what's the day to day like? Is he Bear Bryant climbing the tower and directing things behind the curtain? Or is it something else? I think if you are going to write an article with much of the focus on the coach's personality - there should be more reaction to that personality.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wasn't impressed with the IL article. Felt like it was meandering, jumped around all over the place in both time and topic, and ultimately failed to hammer home a central thesis. There was hardly anything there that could not already be inferred from public comments. And rehashing stuff that, quite frankly, no one is interested in anymore (including some of the parties involved, who'd like to move on with their lives), strikes me as missing a more interesting story about why there appears to be a turnaround in favor of dredging up old drama. The author really fashions himself some kind of grand storyteller but I think the story fell short of what he was aiming for. I appreciate the effort to write and report a "definitive narrative" of the program in its current form but at the end of the day it didn't exactly accomplish that. Perhaps part of that is because PM is by design a bit of a tough nut to crack, but that just means you either need to try harder or find a different angle.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:46 pm Wasn't impressed with the IL article. Felt like it was meandering, jumped around all over the place in both time and topic, and ultimately failed to hammer home a central thesis. There was hardly anything there that could not already be inferred from public comments. And rehashing stuff that, quite frankly, no one is interested in anymore (including some of the parties involved, who'd like to move on with their lives), strikes me as missing a more interesting story about why there appears to be a turnaround in favor of dredging up old drama. The author really fashions himself some kind of grand storyteller but I think the story fell short of what he was aiming for. I appreciate the effort to write and report a "definitive narrative" of the program in its current form but at the end of the day it didn't exactly accomplish that. Perhaps part of that is because PM is by design a bit of a tough nut to crack, but that just means you either need to try harder or find a different angle.
Maybe one of us should just ask ChatGPT to write a narrative description of the contents of this thread over the last 3-4 years and compare?
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Agree with 51. To even mention Murphy in the IL piece, especially knowing what we now know about college sports in the transfer portal era, seems unecessary. To be clear, I've always enjoyed Murphy's game and wish him nothing but success (well, aside from one or two games a year!). Maybe his departure captured so much attention because there weren't a lot of examples of coaching changes in the portal era at the time, but in retrospect what's unusual is how few departures there were. Yet we're still talking about one kid and framing PM as some sort of proto-Deion Sanders. College team rosters in the portal era are usually decimated after coaching changes, both because of kids wanting another option and new coaches telling a bunch of kids that they aren't going to be great fits. Again, what's unusual 4 years on is that we're still talking about 1 kid.
BlueJaySince1947

Re: Do NOT Purchase from FloLive/FloSports

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:19 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:59 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:42 pm
genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:13 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:49 am Is there a free trial at all? That's one thing I was having trouble finding. Though I may have exhausted that with the debacle 2 years ago
I do remember from 2 years ago i wasn't careful when i signed up to watch just that 1 game and the default is billing you up front on the annual plan.
So i paid $150 to watch Hopkins get trounced on a crappy school feed with a Georgetown student doing the play by play, i might try it again on the monthly plan just because I'm a masochistic idiot
The scumbags based in Texas stole my money as well. Don’t purchase anything for GT games.

DocBarrister
Don’t buy anything from these scumbags. I cannot believe GT still allows these scumbags to sell their fraud on the school’s athletic websites.

A class action suit was actually filed because of their deceptive practices:

For several years their subscription model has emphasized the per-month price, while the actual subscription was billed annually.[45][46] As a consequence, in 2022 a class action lawsuit was filed against FloSports in New York federal court due to their business practices. The suit claimed that FloSports 'misleads customers into believing they are only being charged a monthly fee — rather than the full annual fee — when they first sign up for the sports streaming service.'[47] FloSports later settled this case out of court in November 2023.[48]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FloSports

These Texas scumbags also sold their customers’ private information without their permission.

https://www.flosportsvppasettlement.com/

Georgetown should be banned from all sports until they cut ties with these turds.

DocBarrister
To further Doc's post, a couple of things for those who got stuck with an annual subscription they didn't think they signed up for...
- if still active, you can cancel and still catch the Georgetown-JHU game (cancellation won't take effect until next Monday), and
- you can file a claim under the class action settlement until next Monday
So FloSports remains the only option to watch this game...?
Any audio coverage from either school ?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:36 pm Agree with 51. To even mention Murphy in the IL piece, especially knowing what we now know about college sports in the transfer portal era, seems unecessary. To be clear, I've always enjoyed Murphy's game and wish him nothing but success (well, aside from one or two games a year!). Maybe his departure captured so much attention because there weren't a lot of examples of coaching changes in the portal era at the time, but in retrospect what's unusual is how few departures there were. Yet we're still talking about one kid and framing PM as some sort of proto-Deion Sanders. College team rosters in the portal era are usually decimated after coaching changes, both because of kids wanting another option and new coaches telling a bunch of kids that they aren't going to be great fits. Again, what's unusual 4 years on is that we're still talking about 1 kid.
Yes, completely agree, primitive.

Just look at the exodus from Alabama after Nick Saban retired.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I’ve had a lot to say about Epstein, Murphy and how PM handled both. That’s a long time ago. I think we can move on. Weird approach from IL. They certainly didn’t address it at the time or shortly after but want to dive into it now?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Pat Russell and PM are back with another vodcast. Guess this is gonna be a weekly thing. They're pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJGpCzSccQI

1947 — yes unfortunately FloSports is the only way to watch. Make sure to get the $30 monthly plan, not the $150 annual plan. What an enormous ripoff. Jays, please, pleeeease win to make this all worth it.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:17 pm Pat Russell and PM are back with another vodcast. Guess this is gonna be a weekly thing. They're pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJGpCzSccQI

1947 — yes unfortunately FloSports is the only way to watch. Make sure to get the $30 monthly plan, not the $150 annual plan. What an enormous ripoff. Jays, please, pleeeease win to make this all worth it.
Like the podcast very much. Russell is improving as an interviewer pretty quickly. It’s good to see PM talk without the gum. Really enjoyed the peeks behind the scene.

HF16 forgot to mention that your monthly subscription fee includes free membership in a future class action litigation matter.

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

FloSports subscription for half the price ... https://www.flolive.tv/plans?go=%2F&rti ... nf-partner
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Jon Gordon advice for players, coaches, parents and FanLax posters. Cornell midfielder talks about the power of positivity, which many of the JHU followers will benefit from.

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... or-e2fhcm0
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

rolldodge wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:35 pm FloSports subscription for half the price ... https://www.flolive.tv/plans?go=%2F&rti ... nf-partner
Is this a channel bars would have on their tvs?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:01 am Is this a channel bars would have on their tvs?
Not too likely - not many people wandering into a bar asking for the Georgetown Hopkins lacrosse game or any of the other sports on that channel. If there was a bar that concentrated on G'town athletics it is almost assuredly in DC and then....... SInce they televise some Big East and CAA stuff your hope would be to find a bar that is the home base for a school's alumni and pays for it but that is going to be a needle in a haystack as bars are of course dedicated mostly to football/basketball which you can get anywhere - it's just an excuse to go to a bar.

MIght be a bar in Baltimore that gets it for lacrosse but then as above just endure the traffic and go to DC and watch the game
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lumpris is going to Air Force for football. Class of 2024 is down to 10 — not sure they'll add someone late considering the following class is a bit bigger.

rolldodge, appreciate that discount link.

IL podcast talked to Coach K's dad, who runs an NIL company. I met him at a game last year, very nice guy: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... erer/62549
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:17 am Lumpris is going to Air Force for football. Class of 2024 is down to 10 — not sure they'll add someone late considering the following class is a bit bigger.

rolldodge, appreciate that discount link.

IL podcast talked to Coach K's dad, who runs an NIL company. I met him at a game last year, very nice guy: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... erer/62549
There were a lot of topics the IL piece last week brought up but didn't fully address (JGJs departure and the breakdown of that relationship even though it said he and PM had a relationship going back a decade for example). They said that PM confirmed the program has a collective then went into all the success the program has had the last 2 years in getting guys like Ierlan, Mazzone, Melendez, Steubner plus the Chauvette flip but the article doesn't go into what role if any the collective had in getting those players to homewood.

Georgetown's preview does not sound like the one we saw last year where they were a preseason darling but the last visit there did not go well.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=515722

evans gets his first start of the year. Bauer back out there starting after a strong week.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Perfect conditions for lacrosse. 60 degrees and no rain/wind.

Cooper Field is a great stadium. Right on top of the action.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”