Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
genghiskhanbluejay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by genghiskhanbluejay »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:49 am Is there a free trial at all? That's one thing I was having trouble finding. Though I may have exhausted that with the debacle 2 years ago
I do remember from 2 years ago i wasn't careful when i signed up to watch just that 1 game and the default is billing you up front on the annual plan.
So i paid $150 to watch Hopkins get trounced on a crappy school feed with a Georgetown student doing the play by play, i might try it again on the monthly plan just because I'm a masochistic idiot
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:48 am
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:45 am Chauvette's rocket shots remind me of the low to high lasers Arlyn Marshall pumped into opponent's goals using a wooden stick...!
Pat Fraser
Pardon...?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:38 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:48 am
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:45 am Chauvette's rocket shots remind me of the low to high lasers Arlyn Marshall pumped into opponent's goals using a wooden stick...!
Pat Fraser
Pardon...?
Chauvette’s lefty lasers were also similar to Pat Fraser’s who is of more recent vintage. That’s is all that I meant.
“I wish you would!”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

2 games and 1 big article

Up
-The new field. Last years was unsightly and a real embarassment to the program and university. Early in the Denver game a call went Hopkins way because the refs could see the lines. Quint was right-the NAG jay would've been cool at center field, but the Schnydman tribute is world class.
-Chauvette/Kiltrain
-The 2 goalies. I think both have been fine, good to see webb in there and very cool to have a charles village guy on the roster.
-Callahan-much improved. Excellent last night.
-Roster depth. So many pieces. Martin/Jaronski/Raposo/McDermott/Arteaga lot of choices there.
-Aviles-looked good last night. Did not know Kiltrain was a cuse guy, glad to have him and not to have to see him in orange.
-Ayers-the confidence is there, the stats will come.
-McDermott. What an athlete and bulldog. Must have taken an awful lot of work for him and 20 to transition to ssdm physically and otherwise and both have given the team incredible depth and minutes.
-Angelus/Degnon/Melendez. They are reliable. Known knowns. You're not getting consistent 1st team all american stuff from them as a group every game but they have the talent.
-Bauer real energy and hustle in the towson game. All over the field.

Down
-The coaching. Borderline cocky to see stuart phillips out there on man up game one. The second half of the denver game was a meltdown that should not have happened. Brown was in game 1 as a head coach and denver got better as the game went on.
-The veterans. You can not quit like that in the 4th quarter of the denver game. Some of the clearing has been brutal.
-Man Up unit. 6 on 4 against a reeling Towson defense and one awful shot. They offense does not have enough dodgers. As we've seen for years too much cute passing and reliance on outside shooting.
-Collison/Grimes 0-12 to start the year.
-The smith blunder gave me flashbacks to foley falling down against loyola.

TBD
-Playing 60 minutes or stuffing teams away was a major issue last year and it haunted them against Denver. Too many games they'd either get strong starts and go to sleep or start slowly. They have so many pieces this year that the fresh bodies should prevent that. The Virginias, Marylands, Dukes, Notre Dames have won so many games the last decade and a half because they put so many games away early. Denver should have been that game. The offense worries me. Too passive, and they're not drawing enough penalties.

I have to rewatch to see the defense.
coda

Post by coda »

If you have Degnon and Chauvette on the field at the same time, dodging is going to have to come from others. Both can really shoot, but neither are dodgers or feeders
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

06, buddy, McDermott is not playing SSDM. He's taking some runs on the wing on faceoffs, in addition to shifts on offense. That doesn't make him an SSDM. Also, it's rather interesting that you're giving Bauer and McDermott some major props considering you've said they should be benched multiple times. I'm sure you'll be back to your old catchphrases in no time though.

It's not "borderline cocky" to think the literal leading scorer in last year's Minto Cup might be able to help on the man-up unit. They've tried Phillips, Marquis, and Peshko all in that inside role. None of them have separated themselves, but those are exactly the right players to try in that spot. I'd consider giving Marquis another go as a way to get him involved (or perhaps the frosh Sorichetti), but the issue with the EMO so far is not one of personnel.

That was Kuhn against Loyola a few years back, not Foley, though I have absolutely no idea how that's in any way related to Smith's penalty vs. Denver.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:39 pm 06, buddy, McDermott is not playing SSDM. He's taking some runs on the wing on faceoffs, in addition to shifts on offense. That doesn't make him an SSDM. Also, it's rather interesting that you're giving Bauer and McDermott some major props considering you've said they should be benched multiple times. I'm sure you'll be back to your old catchphrases in no time though.

It's not "borderline cocky" to think the literal leading scorer in last year's Minto Cup might be able to help on the man-up unit. They've tried Phillips, Marquis, and Peshko all in that inside role. None of them have separated themselves, but those are exactly the right players to try in that spot. I'd consider giving Marquis another go as a way to get him involved (or perhaps the frosh Sorichetti), but the issue with the EMO so far is not one of personnel.

That was Kuhn against Loyola a few years back, not Foley, though I have absolutely no idea how that's in any way related to Smith's penalty vs. Denver.
51 has said a number of times for a number of years this offense lacks dodgers and finishers. That remains the case. Thought it was foley against the loyola guy.

Bauer and McDermott have both had their moments over the years-not consistently though. I haven't read them say it, but my guess is the hope of crawley/pm is that with all the talent they have on offense that rival teams have to contend with-angelus, degnon, melendez, collison, grimes, peshko, english, now chauvette, bauer, evans, ayers eventually some guys are going to find the right matchup each week and have the big days we need.

Callahan's improvement has been really something. He looks really comfortable out there.

Aviles looked very fluid. Going to get us a lot of possessions.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:14 pm The veterans. You can not quit like that in the 4th quarter of the denver game. Some of the clearing has been brutal.
Well - I will grant you 2 of the failed clears were debacles throwing it to a covered guy by the box area - but Hopkins clear rate is at 93%. I can remember recent early seasons where the clear rate might not have had an 8 handle.
For the record - Hopkins did not quit against Denver. They were tired - it was the first game of the season and they failed to execute the plays - they did NOT QUIT. WIsh Smith had quit - that way he wouldn't have taken out the Denver kid and the game would have been over. Yeah can't for the life of me understand the comparison of a guy being faked badly by one of the all time greats and a kid committing an over aggressive penalty.
jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:14 pm Playing 60 minutes or stuffing teams away was a major issue last year and it haunted them against Denver. Too many games they'd either get strong starts and go to sleep or start slowly. They have so many pieces this year that the fresh bodies should prevent that. The Virginias, Marylands, Dukes, Notre Dames have won so many games the last decade and a half because they put so many games away early. Denver should have been that game. The offense worries me. Too passive, and they're not drawing enough penalties.
Ridiculous - very few teams play a perfect 60 minutes - games between competitive teams are going to have big swings in momentum typically. SO which is it - are all these bodies going to keep them fresh or are these bodies going to prevent them from finding the units that work the most effectively? They are averaging 39 shots in the 2 games and in 1/8 of that time they took 2 - they are clearly more aggressive and while I would like fewer shot clock violations it's true that you can take multiple shots during an 80 second possession - barely miss the cage - have a decent offensive set and still suffer a shot clock violation.
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:42 pm Chauvette’s lefty lasers were also similar to Pat Fraser’s who is of more recent vintage. That’s is all that I meant.

Not a critical distinction but Fraser reminds me much more of Degnon - both require a slightly longer fuse to fire the cannon. Chauvette's ability to generate such pace with an extremely quick release is what is special. He's only played two games so we will have to see what adjustments defenses make and then what Hopkins does. He makes a sliding decision off of him an incredibly risky proposition.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

'06, i'm pumped you're good with the new turf!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:47 pm 51 has said a number of times for a number of years this offense lacks dodgers and finishers. That remains the case. Thought it was foley against the loyola guy.
I have said it in the past - Melendez/Angelus at his real position/Collison/English - some of the current seniors getting stronger and more experience - this team has people to create slides and getting the defense moving - the issue IMO will be fitting the pieces together and figuring out the bext combos because as Milliman said in that podcast - when it comes to crunch time - which I took to mean the BIG schedule and beyond - you want your best personnel on the field.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:01 pm
jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:14 pm The veterans. You can not quit like that in the 4th quarter of the denver game. Some of the clearing has been brutal.
Well - I will grant you 2 of the failed clears were debacles throwing it to a covered guy by the box area - but Hopkins clear rate is at 93%. I can remember recent early seasons where the clear rate might not have had an 8 handle.
For the record - Hopkins did not quit against Denver. They were tired - it was the first game of the season and they failed to execute the plays - they did NOT QUIT. WIsh Smith had quit - that way he wouldn't have taken out the Denver kid and the game would have been over. Yeah can't for the life of me understand the comparison of a guy being faked badly by one of the all time greats and a kid committing an over aggressive penalty.
jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:14 pm Playing 60 minutes or stuffing teams away was a major issue last year and it haunted them against Denver. Too many games they'd either get strong starts and go to sleep or start slowly. They have so many pieces this year that the fresh bodies should prevent that. The Virginias, Marylands, Dukes, Notre Dames have won so many games the last decade and a half because they put so many games away early. Denver should have been that game. The offense worries me. Too passive, and they're not drawing enough penalties.
Ridiculous - very few teams play a perfect 60 minutes - games between competitive teams are going to have big swings in momentum typically. SO which is it - are all these bodies going to keep them fresh or are these bodies going to prevent them from finding the units that work the most effectively? They are averaging 39 shots in the 2 games and in 1/8 of that time they took 2 - they are clearly more aggressive and while I would like fewer shot clock violations it's true that you can take multiple shots during an 80 second possession - barely miss the cage - have a decent offensive set and still suffer a shot clock violation.
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:42 pm Chauvette’s lefty lasers were also similar to Pat Fraser’s who is of more recent vintage. That’s is all that I meant.

Not a critical distinction but Fraser reminds me much more of Degnon - both require a slightly longer fuse to fire the cannon. Chauvette's ability to generate such pace with an extremely quick release is what is special. He's only played two games so we will have to see what adjustments defenses make and then what Hopkins does. He makes a sliding decision off of him an incredibly risky proposition.
👌
“I wish you would!”
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

The Jays still don't yet have anyone proven to be "the guy" on offense which is sorta the problem and will likely continue to be the problem. Ideally you can find someone with a hot hand or favorable match up from game to game with how many generally talented bodies the roster has but as of yet still no one is probably actually a proper Tewaaraton contender on the squad. We'll see if anyone puts the pieces together and figures it out over the next month or two.

Angelus is the closest at this point and is currently checking in at an impressive 5 PPG but I think we need to see him have the ability to call his own number against the tougher heart of the schedule.

06 isn't really wrong about the offense going to sleep. First game of the season and they're still getting into the swing of things of course but 3 goals in the second half like against Denver is not inspiring and isn't going to cut it.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

What's with Collison...?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:55 pm 06 isn't really wrong about the offense going to sleep. First game of the season and they're still getting into the swing of things of course but 3 goals in the second half like against Denver is not inspiring and isn't going to cut it.
I don't think anybody is saying the 2nd half performance against Denver was inspiring or should be the standard to cut it. However, in the 3rd quarter Hopkins took 14 shots - had 2 more ground balls than Denver - 50/50 on face-offs - perfect in clears - 0 penalties and 3 turnovers which isn't complete dreechh and most important they extended the lead by a goal.
In the 4th quarter they had 6 turnovers - a failed clear - 2 shots and 3 personal fouls and Denver had 5 EMOs with Hopkins enjoying - according to the stat sheet 4.8 minutes of possession - so yes the offense shares a bunch of the responsibility as turnovers occurred en masse but they didn't go to sleep - they never had the ball - there's credit to extend to Denver as well
'16 said we would be talking about it still
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

denver was probably a better team than people give them credit for last year. tbd, but they may turn out to be a better team than expected this year also.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:13 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:49 am Is there a free trial at all? That's one thing I was having trouble finding. Though I may have exhausted that with the debacle 2 years ago
I do remember from 2 years ago i wasn't careful when i signed up to watch just that 1 game and the default is billing you up front on the annual plan.
So i paid $150 to watch Hopkins get trounced on a crappy school feed with a Georgetown student doing the play by play, i might try it again on the monthly plan just because I'm a masochistic idiot
The scumbags based in Texas stole my money as well. Don’t purchase anything for GT games.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Do NOT Purchase from FloLive/FloSports

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:42 pm
genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:13 pm
The scumbags based in Texas stole my money as well. Don’t purchase anything for GT games.

DocBarrister
Don’t buy anything from these scumbags. I cannot believe GT still allows these scumbags to sell their fraud on the school’s athletic websites.

A class action suit was actually filed because of their deceptive practices:

For several years their subscription model has emphasized the per-month price, while the actual subscription was billed annually.[45][46] As a consequence, in 2022 a class action lawsuit was filed against FloSports in New York federal court due to their business practices. The suit claimed that FloSports 'misleads customers into believing they are only being charged a monthly fee — rather than the full annual fee — when they first sign up for the sports streaming service.'[47] FloSports later settled this case out of court in November 2023.[48]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FloSports

These Texas scumbags also sold their customers’ private information without their permission.

https://www.flosportsvppasettlement.com/

Georgetown should be banned from all sports until they cut ties with these turds.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:05 pm '06, i'm pumped you're good with the new turf!
It might look good, but I can't remember two games where so many guys have tripped up and fallen over during seemingly routine change-of-direction footwork, both dodging and defending (but particularly defending). I would love to know if the players like playing on it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:16 pm What's with Collison...?
He's pressing a little bit and in his own head. Just needs to see one fall and the floodgates will open. He's gotten by his man for clean looks at the cage a handful of times but hasn't been able to finish. Once one goes I think he'll get his swagger back. When he's back to himself, that line with English and Chauvette is going to impossible to defend. Lefty power dodger + righty speed dodger + inside and outside shooting. Either Collison or English on a shortie. If you slide off Chauvette, good luck. If you don't, good luck to that too.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:11 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:16 pm What's with Collison...?
He's pressing a little bit and in his own head. Just needs to see one fall and the floodgates will open. He's gotten by his man for clean looks at the cage a handful of times but hasn't been able to finish. Once one goes I think he'll get his swagger back. When he's back to himself, that line with English and Chauvette is going to impossible to defend. Lefty power dodger + righty speed dodger + inside and outside shooting. Either Collison or English on a shortie. If you slide off Chauvette, good luck. If you don't, good luck to that too.
Even Rabil had slow starts.

Petro theorized that the slow starts were due to Rabil’s summer ball play.

One has to imagine that Collison’s summer lax had offenses that were nothing like what PM and Crawley run.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”