D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by nyjay »

Man, oh man, 34 is fun.
Finster

Post by Finster »

nyjay wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:53 pm Man, oh man, 34 is fun.

Very slick with a ton of confidence for a freshman.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Way to finish. Chauvette and Degnon—1,2 outside punch.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:22 pm Ref lays the biggest hit of the game
And then he could barely hide his smile.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

3-0 4th quarter was nice to see. Jays won every category.

Aviles made noticeable impact off the ground and in the clearing game. Definitely helps with SSDM depth.

The Jays statkeeper was rather thrifty tonight, felt like Smith had at least 3 or 4 caused turnovers but was only credited with 1. Still had a goal and 5 GBs. Great rebound game from him after the penalty debacle vs. Denver, what you want/expect from your AA defenseman. The close D rendered their attackmen utterly obsolete. They combined for 1 point. Woof.

Love Webb coming in at the end and shutting the door with 3 saves to end it. Not easy ones either. Towson scored 1 goal in the second half. That's good no matter who you're playing.

Getting absolutely nothing from the two big lefty midfielders, and that's gotta change starting Saturday.

We're onto the Hoyas.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

40-18 GB edge for Jays. Very consistent effort: 20 in 1st half, 20 in 2nd half.

10 CTs, including brilliant takeaway and GB by Kilrain.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Well, unlike Saturday, the Blue Jays finished and won this one going away.

This was one of the best groundball games I have ever seen from a Hopkins team. The laser shots from Chauvette and Degnon will get star billing, but this game was won off the ground.

Speaking of which, 10 gbs for Logan Callahan. Three gbs for Aviles in his Hopkins debut.

Nine CTs was pretty cool, and the D did a good job in the second half. But the D still needs some work in defending “The Knowns.”

Bauer has really changed and developed as a player. It used to be that there wasn’t a shot or reckless dodge that Bauer didn’t like. Now, after what must have been a lot of hard work, Bauer has transformed himself into a savvy playmaker.

Two games, two hat tricks for Hunter Chauvette. 😮😳

Nice response by the Blue Jays.

Now, it’s time to beat GT.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

A quick note … Hunter Chauvette has 6 goals on 6 SOGs.

Basically, if he puts the ball on net, it’s going in.

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Hoponboard wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:13 pm 40-18 GB edge for Jays. Very consistent effort: 20 in 1st half, 20 in 2nd half.

You don't see a 40-18 GB advantage at this level that often. Granted Callahan and the CTs accounted for much of that, but what I loved were GBs at the offensive end. Would have to watch again but seems like we got a bunch of bonus possessions. Huge. I think Ayers himself came up with 3. Incredibly deflating for the opposing D.
primitiveskills

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:35 pm A quick note … Hunter Chauvette has 6 goals on 6 SOGs.

Basically, if he puts the ball on net, it’s going in.

DocBarrister :shock:
He definitely missed one in the 4th, maybe didn't make the stats. Still, if his hands are free, it's going in. Towson goalie even guessed correctly on that low-to-high from the wing and he still didn't get close to it.

Edited to say, you did say SOGs not shots. Absolutely!. Eventulally he might hit the goalie by mistake, but if not it's in!
Last edited by primitiveskills on Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
primitiveskills

When Towson transitioned from D to offense in the second half, Smith often rotated up top to pick up Weishaar coming out of the box. Great adjustment that really killed Towson's offense.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:56 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:13 pm 40-18 GB edge for Jays. Very consistent effort: 20 in 1st half, 20 in 2nd half.

You don't see a 40-18 GB advantage at this level that often. Granted Callahan and the CTs accounted for much of that, but what I loved were GBs at the offensive end. Would have to watch again but seems like we got a bunch of bonus possessions. Huge. I think Ayers himself came up with 3. Incredibly deflating for the opposing D.
Even if Ayers doesn't score a point (and he will, it's coming), he's real valuable to have out there. Tenacious riding it back and fighting through bodies to come up with the rock, especially at his size. Part of that may be his hockey background. Wouldn't be shocked to see him on the faceoff wing this season.

Can't get over the "Towson's entire attack scored 1 point" stat. That's wild. Not sure I've ever seen that before. Why that Weishaar kid ever leaves the field I have no idea. Good player but was much quieter after we managed to maintain some matchup integrity and keep Deans/Smith in his vicinity, as you mentioned.

Man-up was better but still feel like it needs to be more dialed. With those shooters, it really should be one of the best in the country.

Brown came in and immediately caused a turnover, perhaps that earns him some more PT, though it certainly appears as though he's now the #3 LSM behind Deans and Kilrain. Meanwhile, Kaufman came in late to replace Stoebner as the third close defensemen. Good sign that you'd feel comfortable with all six of those guys in meaningful roles.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Well - certainly the needed result and a good example of good and bad February lacrosse. Aside from the soph middie - Towson looks to be a couple quarts low on offensive oil. And yet it was still 7-5 with 20 minutes left.
Callahan fueled the margin with his consecutive run at the face-off - the wings did compete very well to help him out
They certainly are pumping up the stat sheets by playing 9-10 at the mid-field - Grimes Collison and Evans haven't figured out how to join the party yet (Combined 0-14 1 gb)
Arteaga got better as the game went on - he was the proverbial chicken losing his head early on - Aviles helps
There's alot of pieces to put together but they are nice pieces - hate to slightly revisit Saturday but the debacle puts some extra pressure on these next two games - Bundy is not likley to go 0-8/Carroll is not likley to go 1 for 10 - Hoyas still put 21 shots on goal and had 44 shots so the defense that gave up 18 to Loyola has to be exploited
Hopkins avg. 5 shot clock violations per game and 15.5 turnovers per game
Chauvette's ability to pick the near side high corner from that angle is pretty special - a right handed goalie has no chance
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:09 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:56 pm

Even if Ayers doesn't score a point (and he will, it's coming), he's real valuable to have out there. Tenacious riding it back and fighting through bodies to come up with the rock, especially at his size. Part of that may be his hockey background. Wouldn't be shocked to see him on the faceoff wing this season.

Can't get over the "Towson's entire attack scored 1 point" stat. That's wild. Not sure I've ever seen that before. Why that Weishaar kid ever leaves the field I have no idea. Good player but was much quieter after we managed to maintain some matchup integrity and keep Deans/Smith in his vicinity, as you mentioned.

Man-up was better but still feel like it needs to be more dialed. With those shooters, it really should be one of the best in the country.

Brown came in and immediately caused a turnover, perhaps that earns him some more PT, though it certainly appears as though he's now the #3 LSM behind Deans and Kilrain. Meanwhile, Kaufman came in late to replace Stoebner as the third close defensemen. Good sign that you'd feel comfortable with all six of those guys in meaningful roles.
Am I missing something there? Now granted I’m not at practice but Brown looks to be a stronger LSM than Deans. Deans seems like a LSM reacting versus Brown who often makes things happen
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Chauvette's rocket shots remind me of the low to high lasers Arlyn Marshall pumped into opponent's goals using a wooden stick...!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:34 am Am I missing something there? Now granted I’m not at practice but Brown looks to be a stronger LSM than Deans. Deans seems like a LSM reacting versus Brown who often makes things happen
To be clear- I Am not saying you are missing anything and I was/am a big fan of Brown (and mildly surprised he has lost some time so far) but maybe Deans is more consistent? Brown is certainly conspicuous when he is out there - nice caused turnover that better be made - otherwise Chayse is turning and raking most likely. He was also the defender on the goal mouth call at the end of the first. While he received some credit for not fouling - he had the kid pretty well penned in with no time left and let him slip inside. I'll take Deans/Brown/Kaufman and KIlrain for 25 - with reputed ground ball machine Eye on the way - would be a team strength.

Here's a very important question - does anyone have a good handle/understanding of this Flosports which might appear to be the way to stream the Georgetown game? Not a crystal clear web-site at least for me
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Admittedly in limited shifts with a small sample size between scrimmages and now games but to my eye so far this year Brown has looked a little more suspect. A hair late on a slide, bad angle on ball defending, losing his mark when off ball. May just be taking some time to ramp back up into season form but I can only assume the mistakes are also showing up in practice as well with more regularity than his peers (all defenders are going to screw up at some point) hence the "demotion".
primitiveskills

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:35 am
flalax22 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:34 am Am I missing something there? Now granted I’m not at practice but Brown looks to be a stronger LSM than Deans. Deans seems like a LSM reacting versus Brown who often makes things happen
To be clear- I Am not saying you are missing anything and I was/am a big fan of Brown (and mildly surprised he has lost some time so far) but maybe Deans is more consistent? Brown is certainly conspicuous when he is out there - nice caused turnover that better be made - otherwise Chayse is turning and raking most likely. He was also the defender on the goal mouth call at the end of the first. While he received some credit for not fouling - he had the kid pretty well penned in with no time left and let him slip inside. I'll take Deans/Brown/Kaufman and KIlrain for 25 - with reputed ground ball machine Eye on the way - would be a team strength.

Here's a very important question - does anyone have a good handle/understanding of this Flosports which might appear to be the way to stream the Georgetown game? Not a crystal clear web-site at least for me
FloSports. Ugh. Unless anyone else knows a better way, it's a subscription service/ app where you pay $30/month to watch the worlds' most obscure sports in low-def.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:45 am Chauvette's rocket shots remind me of the low to high lasers Arlyn Marshall pumped into opponent's goals using a wooden stick...!
Pat Fraser
“I wish you would!”
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Is there a free trial at all? That's one thing I was having trouble finding. Though I may have exhausted that with the debacle 2 years ago

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”