~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Drcthru

Re: ~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

Post by Drcthru »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:25 pm Super!

It’s always great to stick a fork in Cuse.
+1 :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

tech37 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:16 pm Nice game Hounds...congrats. Good luck rest of way.
Yes. great game...would have loved to be there, but am recovering from watching the women play in Princeton yesterday....Keep it up...And Lets go Hounds!
molo

Post by molo »

Thanks for the free ChikFilA!
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Te RAC looked packed and the fans were certainly fired up as the Hounds gained steam and momentum in the 3rd. A very entertaining game. Hats off the Spencer, Stover and Savio. Cuse will compete hard next year....thats a given!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Pat freaking Spencer!! Wow what a game. If they continue to play like this and not get rattled, they could do some damage
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

Cuse was the perfect team for the Hounds to play today. I dusagree anyone can win it. Damn shame the 3 best teams. Penn St Yale and Penn all in the bracket with the 2 PL teams.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

So much to say here.

First, congrats to Stover and Spencer for basically earning this win. Total team victory obviously, but like Desko said after the game, the two seniors drew a line in the sand and led the Hounds to a win.

I still say that Stover is the best goalie in D1. He keeps proving it every game, yet doesn't get the attention he deserves.

Pat Spencer earned the Tewey yesterday. I was worried we would lose and that he might go quietly. That would have opened the door for Ament to make his case. But Pat's play was inspiring. You can almost always tell with Spencer in the first quarter if he is going to light up the scoreboard. His BTB goal was on SportsCenter Top 10, the 3d time this season he has done this, which must be a record for a lax player. He is also now #2 all time scorers in D1, as well as being highest assist points leader. You will not be able to argue against those facts regardless of next game.

Once the 2nd half started, you could see that Bailey and the GB battle swung our way, especially in Q4. That is the first time this season I believe we have come back from a deficit of that size in the second half. THAT IS A GREAT SIGN! The legs are fresh. Toomey is probably happier with that fact than anything from yesterday. Defense stood tall in Q4. Great job. Middies were en fuego. Honestly, everyone played well and we needed that. PJ Brown was great. Loved seeing McNulty get a goal.

We can discuss next week once we know who we play. For all the PSU homers already counting the victory today, all I will say is UMBC's defense isn't the same since the start of the year. So be careful assuming easy wins at this stage of the season.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I couldn't say it any better than Peter Brown. We saw two awesome teams and great programs battle it out yesterday. Going down four with less than 4 minutes to play in the 3rd I was a bit nervous. My Cuse friend I saw at halftime was a little giddy and we both knew this was a good game that would would play out for 60 minutes.

Savio and wing play picked it up in the third - credit Cuse double poling on face offs all game. Wicked.

BUT - at the 12 minute mark in the 4th when Stover (doesn't get the credit he desreves) made the stop I felt the momentum shift and knew the Hounds had a very good chance to win this game. I believed!!

Duffy and PJ Brown - 2 goals apeice - NICE!! The D picked it up - bending but never breaking. Making good stops. You could see the much larger Cuse Defense getting a little tired but you know they were going all out and wouldn't quit.

It was a tale of two half's...First belong to Cuse... the final and deciding half belonged to the Hounds.

Great last game at Ridley for this group of Seniors.

Spencer! Enough has been said. He's the guy.
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

It was a great day of college lacrosse; Ridley is an ideal venue, and it was an entertaining game. That said, the D played by either side was hard to get excited about. Yes Loyola shut down Cuse in the late 3'rd and 4'th but Stover stood on his head. Happy for the Hounds and I thought they would expose the Cuse D and that Spenser would go off. It is hard to see the Hounds keeping PSU in check enough to out score them.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Greyhounds.
You’ve got your work cut out for you :!: :!:
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

well its official. Loyola vs Penn State next Saturday.

Spencer vs Ament. It's what so many fans wanted to see

Winner to the Final Four, and most likely locks up the Tewey.

Game on Boys
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
New2lax

Post by New2lax »

houndace1 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:59 pm well its official. Loyola vs Penn State next Saturday.

Game on Boys
No the Tewey was locked up yesterday!! How classless was it for PSU to be up by 16 points and still have your starters in...Wow what were they trying to prove??? Loyola will play with a carefree, just have fun attitude...because they are not expected to win. They played like that against UVA and Hopkins.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Tambroni took his players out fairly early.
State still continued to score with their subs.
I didn’t see anything classless.
UMBC had there chances to put a couple more on the board, they just couldn’t connect.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

You have to win Face offs... UMBC couldn't and the defense was just worn down. Offense never got rythym. It could've been closer but...

Different topic on the Spencer vs Ament chatter:

Ament and Spencer have similar offensive numbers points wise 109 to 103. But let's consider this. Both have similar numbers of turnovers - 32 (Spencer) and 31 (Ament). But GBs and Caused Turnovers is all Spencer: 36 to 17 on GB's and 8 to 1 on CTO's. Just shows some overall tenacity IMO by Spencer. Don't make him mad.

Gonna be an exciting game next week. Don't count the Hounds out. They're the underdog for sure and have nothing to loose.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Hounds are plenty good enough to beat State. Looking forward to all the games next weekend.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:59 pm well its official. Loyola vs Penn State next Saturday.

Game on Boys

Houndace1: Spencer locked up the Tewey on Saturday.

The matchup to look at next weekend isn't Spencer versus Ament, but rather Bailey versus Arceri at FO. If Bailey can keep the numbers respectable, Loyola will stand a good chance of winning this one. But, if Arceri goes off for a close-to 100% day, we're in for a world of hurt.

I will say, if you wanted a clinic on how NOT to position wings versus Arceri, UMBC gave every other coach all they need to look at. What were the Retrievers doing?!?!? I mean, they were comically positioned, and whenever they could get to the scrum before the pop-out, they always stood right on top of each other, meaning when the ball popped out, they were useless. Painful to watch.

I trust Charley will look hard at that tape...

Here's some really good news. PSU's defense is really bad and getting worse as the season progresses. Kniese's stats aren't super impressive because other teams get to shoot right on top of him. Hint to anyone shooting at Kniese: shoot to his off-stick hand...all these opponent laxers playing catch with a righty goalie drives coaches insane.

PSU (and Yale for that matter) loses when they lose at FO dot. This isn't complicated.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter, how would you account for Penn State's deep midfield runs? they have about 3 lines of really good middies as opposed to our good 1st line and okayish second?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

houndace1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:13 am Peter, how would you account for Penn State's deep midfield runs? they have about 3 lines of really good middies as opposed to our good 1st line and okayish second?
Defensively Loyola rotates it's short sticks a decent amount which is more of a direct matchup than the number of offensive middies. My feeling is on offense Loyola should run with the first middies and Swindell most of the time and just try to gut it out. I don't think the second midfield is doing enough to get a bunch of runs in a game where you have to score a ton.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:13 am Peter, how would you account for Penn State's deep midfield runs? they have about 3 lines of really good middies as opposed to our good 1st line and okayish second?

I don't think you account for it; they are good, deep, and well coached. Making it almost impossible for opposing teams, they have a great FOGO. But I like our 1.5 lines of middies as much as PSU's...having 3 good lines of middies doesn't do you much good when you can only play 1.5 of them in any game.

Bear in mind, Hopkins had their game won against PSU; if Hubler's shot goes in, Hopkins wins and HOP isn't exactly a world beater. Hopkins almost got the better of PSU because they nearly split FO's with Arceri, and Epstein decided his defender wasn't all that good.

Every FOGO has his kryptonite; Ierlan has his with the kid at Penn. Aerceri might have his with Bailey.

All I will say is if you can split FO's with PSU, and your offense is good (ours is), you stand a very good chance of beating PSU in 2019.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Why is Peter Brown always writing my Post?? :lol: Was going to say same thing and probably did on a previous one about UMBC hardly winning any face offs and how that affects the rest of the game plan. X will be the key. But I could be wrong. I'd like to write something meaningful here but it's all been said before. Practice and execute on Sunday. Seniors get to spend 7 more days together and Coach has enough time to tweak a thing or two - nothing dramatic.

I'm actually feeling very confident about this game. Just gotta go for 60 minutes. I know the Hounds will have left all they have on the field when the final whistle blows.

To be the best you need to play your best against the best. Hounds are up to it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”