D1 Mens Lacrosse
BlueJaySince1947

Re: Georgetown 2024

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Indeed...Hopkins will be a VERY difficult opponent 🐦
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

No one got more out of the portal than Transfer U, wondering if they are back to normal. Still plenty of talent and we have seen them start slow and rally.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Hoyas better get on Chauvette’s hands all day. Man that kid can rip it.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HGK wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:06 pm Hoyas better get on Chauvette’s hands all day. Man that kid can rip it.
Ummm … as a completely neutral and objective observer, I would recommend that the Hoyas focus on Collison and leave Chauvette alone. After all, he’s just a freshman. What harm could he do???

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
HGK

Post by HGK »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:30 pm
HGK wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:06 pm Hoyas better get on Chauvette’s hands all day. Man that kid can rip it.
Ummm … as a completely neutral and objective observer, I would recommend that the Hoyas focus on Collison and leave Chauvette alone. After all, he’s just a freshman. What harm could he do???

DocBarrister :P
Doc, Hoya faithful will take that advice with the proverbial grain of salt but thank you!
HGK

Post by HGK »

Bit of prisoners dilemma but something to consider- would you run zone a good percentage of time vs Hopkins? Downside is they have snipers. Upside is you lessen the amount of off ball layups we saw vs Loyola. Possible big upside is Moore sees it well and handles the outside shots as opposed to what he saw Saturday. If Ball is healthy, and can do well again at the dot, Hoyas can control the time of possession and Hoya offense can maybe win a 12-10 type game. If Hoyas play it straight up and Hopkins gets the looks Loyola got is a major problem. Maybe run it 50% of time. Let Moore see some shots he actually has a chance of saving and let this brand new defense slowly improve and get the confidence and cohesiveness to play it straight up 90+% of the time down the road.
random observer

Post by random observer »

HGK wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:08 pm Bit of prisoners dilemma but something to consider- would you run zone a good percentage of time vs Hopkins? Downside is they have snipers. Upside is you lessen the amount of off ball layups we saw vs Loyola. Possible big upside is Moore sees it well and handles the outside shots as opposed to what he saw Saturday. If Ball is healthy, and can do well again at the dot, Hoyas can control the time of possession and Hoya offense can maybe win a 12-10 type game. If Hoyas play it straight up and Hopkins gets the looks Loyola got is a major problem. Maybe run it 50% of time. Let Moore see some shots he actually has a chance of saving and let this brand new defense slowly improve and get the confidence and cohesiveness to play it straight up 90+% of the time down the road.
I really think the last thing you want to do against Hopkins is go zone. They're not a team of blazing athletes that just blow by you, they move the ball really well. And now with Chauvette's arrival, they have a two-headed monster up top between him and Degnon. They both have range from 15+ and you can't shade to both of them without compromising your integrity in high percentage shooting areas closer to the cage.
HGK

Post by HGK »

random observer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:33 pm
HGK wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:08 pm Bit of prisoners dilemma but something to consider- would you run zone a good percentage of time vs Hopkins? Downside is they have snipers. Upside is you lessen the amount of off ball layups we saw vs Loyola. Possible big upside is Moore sees it well and handles the outside shots as opposed to what he saw Saturday. If Ball is healthy, and can do well again at the dot, Hoyas can control the time of possession and Hoya offense can maybe win a 12-10 type game. If Hoyas play it straight up and Hopkins gets the looks Loyola got is a major problem. Maybe run it 50% of time. Let Moore see some shots he actually has a chance of saving and let this brand new defense slowly improve and get the confidence and cohesiveness to play it straight up 90+% of the time down the road.
I really think the last thing you want to do against Hopkins is go zone. They're not a team of blazing athletes that just blow by you, they move the ball really well. And now with Chauvette's arrival, they have a two-headed monster up top between him and Degnon. They both have range from 15+ and you can't shade to both of them without compromising your integrity in high percentage shooting areas closer to the cage.
Nor is Loyola and the game was lost on off ball defense. You win 70% of faceoffs and lose by 8 goals. Not sure status quo is the answer. In fairness i am not advocating the zone, just merely throwing the idea out there. Warne is a defensive coach and whatever he decides to do I will think the D improves.
lilax

Post by lilax »

If a coach were to zone Hopkins, they would over play the left side of the field, and take their chances with the Rightys bombing it from the outside. The problem is now you are allowing Melendez to have his hands free or Angelus to wheel and deal.

I don't think Georgetown zones Hopkins. Especially with a freshman goalie who still looks like he's settling in.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Hands free from 17 yards better than hands free on the doorstep, which is what our man defense allowed last weekend.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

lilax wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:16 pm
If a coach were to zone Hopkins, they would over play the left side of the field, and take their chances with the Rightys bombing it from the outside. The problem is now you are allowing Melendez to have his hands free or Angelus to wheel and deal.

I don't think Georgetown zones Hopkins. Especially with a freshman goalie who still looks like he's settling in.
Blue Jays’ O requires a certain amount of rhythm … more than most.

If I were coaching against the Blue Jays, I would ride hard to disrupt clears and constantly switch things up between zone and man-to-man.

Oh, and I would completely ignore that Hunter Chauvette kid, who has already proven to be a bust and not at all worth paying attention to.

Hope that helps ….

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HGK wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:09 pm
Nor is Loyola and the game was lost on off ball defense. You win 70% of faceoffs and lose by 8 goals. Not sure status quo is the answer. In fairness i am not advocating the zone, just merely throwing the idea out there. Warne is a defensive coach and whatever he decides to do I will think the D improves.
it's a legitimate question, but i'd be much more inclined to have hopkins show they can score more than 12 or 13 goals, and have to do that against my base defense, the one the players know and have been repping. as mentioned, you only change that up 180° if you're outmanned physically.

maybe the one silver lining in getting worked is that you can't brush off breakdowns bc you got good outcomes. great saves, dropped passes by opponent, pipes, etc....they're laid bare and you can identify them and hope that your pupils understand the urgency of getting mistakes fixed.
random observer

Post by random observer »

HGK wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:57 pm Hands free from 17 yards better than hands free on the doorstep, which is what our man defense allowed last weekend.
Chauvette and Degnon are a combined 10/20 shooting on the season, and a combined 10/11 on SOG...almost all of them have been outside shots. Put simply, if it's on net it's going in, and if it's not on net, they just keep possession and re-roll. Small sample size but for those guys a 15+ yard shot with hands free is like 10 yards for most guys.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

For watching Saturday's game looks like we have to subscribe to FloSports again. :evil:

I remember last year there was a "Big East only" package that was a lot less than the regular monthly subscription. Anyone come across that again this year?

EDIT: found it https://www.flolive.tv/plans?go=%2F&rti ... nf-partner
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:37 pm
HGK wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:09 pm
it's a legitimate question, but i'd be much more inclined to have hopkins show they can score more than 12 or 13 goals, and have to do that against my base defense, the one the players know and have been repping. as mentioned, you only change that up 180° if you're outmanned physically.

maybe the one silver lining in getting worked is that you can't brush off breakdowns bc you got good outcomes. great saves, dropped passes by opponent, pipes, etc....they're laid bare and you can identify them and hope that your pupils understand the urgency of getting mistakes fixed.
In my mind, you go with a zone when you have a bunch of players that can follow a scheme, but you don't have the athletes to match up physically. In Georgetown's case, I think they have they guys that can match up physically, they just haven't (yet) been coordinated behind the scheme. Going to a zone (which requires as much if not more coordination) doesn't help with that.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Very fair point. Again, I only mentioned it as a possibility given the off ball issues Saturday. Hopefully they are more in synch man to man and we make Hopkins work harder for quality shots. Hearing Ball is good to go so that’s a positive as well.

Go Hoyas!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:04 am Very fair point. Again, I only mentioned it as a possibility given the off ball issues Saturday. Hopefully they are more in synch man to man and we make Hopkins work harder for quality shots. Hearing Ball is good to go so that’s a positive as well.

Go Hoyas!
Good news on Ball. Unfortunately, looks like Tominovich is out. https://x.com/SwezeyLacrosse/status/175 ... 23670?s=20
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Not a bad half. Defense much improved from last week. Need to figure out a way to get Bundy involved in the offense.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Nice goal from Bundy, but too little too late. Why are they not trying to get Bundy into better situations? They have him carrying water most of the game for the younger guys...
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Much better game from the Hoyas on the defensive end. Like to see Banks and Moore settling in and nice effort from Foley filling in for an injured Tominovich. Short stick D-mids continue to be a bright spot.

On the FOs looks like Ball is still a bit banged up as well as running into an official that did not mesh with his style. His violations were not obviously violations.

Offensively, we look like a bunch of midfielders out there ... because they are. They have exactly one guy, Wray, who is skilled inside. I'd love to see them get some run for Caggiano on the 6v6 (he's running EMO). He's a skilled shooter and slick on the inside.

Turnovers in the 4th Quarter negated any chance for a comeback.

Biggest issue I have is not doing more to get Bundy into good positions and matchups. They should be setting him up for step down shots and secondary dodges once the initial dodge and ball movement have gotten the D spinning and created space. If you get Bundy rolling it will open up the offense for the rest of the team.

Another two tough games on the road with Penn and Notre Dame. Hoping to see some continual improvement. Go Hoyas!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”