wgdsr

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by wgdsr »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:02 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:07 am
FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:56 am
coda wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:47 am
primitiveskills wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:30 am
FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:19 am You're man down, so someone's open by definition?? There were 2.9 seconds to go, It had to be a quick pass and shot...why even cover the guy starting with the ball? That may have been the worst coaching--or non-coaching--play I've ever seen. And JJ scored the last several goals yet he's able to catch and shoot? Reminds me of the NY Giants handing the ball off & fumbling against the Eagles instead of victory formation :roll:
If you leave the guy with the ball open, 2.9 seconds is easily enough time to get to the cage. So, you're sliding or rotating eventually. If you want to shut off Sillstrop, that's fine. But ultimately 3 seconds is enough time to get off a shot in a couple of different ways.
Should have pushed out. I didnt even like the Denver set. Probably should have had 2 guys screening. No need for a back up there.
Fine, then don't cover the guy on the far backside(watch the replay)--could easily pick-off a long pass; there's no way someone inside the box should be able to catch and shoot unimpeded..
Yep, cover the restart guy and shut off everyone else except the guy on the far side. Fine.

Lots of better options than what the Blue Jays actually did.

And again … Quint K made the exact correct call in the booth regarding the play Denver was going to run. PM and JK should have known right away, too, and called the right defensive set.

Coaches blew it. There can be no reasonable debate on this point. NONE.

DocBarrister
Maybe Coach K can worry more about end of game sets and less about camera time.

This is the most talented Jays team they have fielded in years. We’ve got lacrosse media saying the staff is the best in D1. They need to show it. PM did own not having the timeout available in the post game interview. It would have been nice to have that.
yes. give the offense an opportunity to draw up a play. i'm sure that would've gone over great.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:16 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:19 am You're man down, so someone's open by definition?? There were 2.9 seconds to go, It had to be a quick pass and shot...why even cover the guy starting with the ball? That may have been the worst coaching--or non-coaching--play I've ever seen. And JJ scored the last several goals yet he's able to catch and shoot? Reminds me of the NY Giants handing the ball off & fumbling against the Eagles instead of victory formation :roll:
If you leave the guy with the ball open, 2.9 seconds is easily enough time to get to the cage. So, you're sliding or rotating eventually. If you want to shut off Sillstrop, that's fine. But ultimately 3 seconds is enough time to get off a shot in a couple of different ways.
Should have pushed out. I didnt even like the Denver set. Probably should have had 2 guys screening. No need for a back up there.
Fine, then don't cover the guy on the far backside(watch the replay)--could easily pick-off a long pass; there's no way someone inside the box should be able to catch and shoot unimpeded..
Yep, cover the restart guy and shut off everyone else except the guy on the far side. Fine.

And again … Quint K made the exact correct call in the booth regarding the play Denver was going to run. PM and JK should have known right away, too, and called the right defensive set.

DocBarrister

This is the most talented Jays team they have fielded in years. We’ve got lacrosse media saying the staff is the best in D1. They need to show it. PM did own not having the timeout available in the post game interview. It would have been nice to have that.
yes. give the offense an opportunity to draw up a play. i'm sure that would've gone over great.
Well it worked out great the way it went down, didn’t it. Did it look like the D was well prepared for those final seconds?

As someone else said the clock is ticking down you could literally tackle your cover and get away with it
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:57 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:16 pm

DocBarrister

Well it worked out great the way it went down, didn’t it. Did it look like the D was well prepared for those final seconds?

As someone else said the clock is ticking down you could literally tackle your cover and get away with it
yeah. i actually said that. that is 20/20 hindsight. the guy literally shot from 18-19 yards, the top of the box. while on man down. they played it fine vs the alternatives. it was a rough last quarter and a half.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OK - let's recap the 4th quarter - while I believe it is always wise to save 2nd half timeouts - I'm not sure what the coaches could have done or said to prevent the following:
- A push at the end of the 3rd quarter by your 6 year grad student twice captain leading to no face-off
- A turnover by your 5 year unquestioned QB at the 12:30 minute mark
- A turnover by a senior mid-fielder (caused)
- Failed clear at the 9.5 minute mark
- 1 minute later - a tripping penalty by your 5th year grad student SSDM leading to a goal a mere 19 seconds into the EMO
- Lose a face-off but it doesn't hurt you since there is a Denver turnover
- Timeout by your head coach - 7:13 left in the game - you've played half the quarter - you have had 3 turnovers/1 lost face-off/1 failed clear and a personal foul with a technical foul affecting the quarter - and 0 shots and about 1.5 minutes of offensive possesion time - now given what transpired could you have wanted a time-out back? Yes - but was the timeout decision defensible? IMO heck yeah as your team and your senior/grad student leaders were making the mistakes and playing like crap
- So if you have a transcript of what either PM of JC said during the time out I'd love to hear it. My best guess is they were reminded the defense was gassed and work for a good shot and maybe don't take one right away - I doubt it was hold the ball don't shoot and let the 80 run out. Now ultimately - The possession led to 1 shot and a shot clock violation - so did the time out prove effective? No
- Denver scores with 5 mintues left but the lone bright spot of the quarter is a face-off win and a goal from Peshko so up 3 with 4 minutes left
- Face-off violation leads to Denver's 2nd uncontested possesion of the quarter - goal by Denver's most known quantity lead down to 2 with 3:30
- In addition your senior consensus pre-season AA defenseman takes a cross checking foul - leading to a time-out JHU - this is the one where I wonder more than the 1st - yes your defense is tired and you want to be set in case you lose the face-off but.... that situation should be covered in practice
- So defense holds but a turnover attributed to a senior middie - 2nd of the quarter - gives Denver the ball back and they score with 44 seconds left
- Then there is the much discussed last 33 seconds or so involving an incredibly poor decision by your 5 year senior co-captain - a beyond horrible decision by your consensus pre season AA leading to a man down with 2 seconds left and a failure by a pre-season HM AA goalie to stop a close to 20 yard shot.
So in summary - aside from Peshko's goal (And Angelus' assist) your seniors and grad students contribute the following stats - 0 shots/4 turnovers/3 personal fouls/a technical foul that affected the quarter and a failed save when you needed it most

The head coach calls 2 timeouts during the quarter - very likely to get someone's head on straight. As far as comments on some of the more infamous plays of the ast 33 seconds:
- I don't often totally disagree with 16 but there was nothing about Smith's hit that was advisable or beneficial to the future because "We need him on that wall". It was incredibly ill advised given the situation so while you can argue till the moon turns green about whether it was a hit to the head and deserved 2 minutes non releasable it was late and it was unnecessary so it's 1 minute for sure. And then the last millisecond goal - you are likely coached in that type of last second situation to not let a crease feed occur - tackling the opponents - especially man down is probably not on the whiteboard - they reverted to what they were taught - they were tired - and they packed it in to not allow a quick stick. Have to depend on your goalie sometimes.

Now play me a tape of practices or the 4 stoppages in play (the 2 JHU time-outs/the Denver timeout and the between the 3rd quarter and 4th) where the coaches say to hold the ball - tighten up in the 4th - and not play and I'll agree with you - this one IMO is on the leaders of the team - they failed.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Which is an opportunity to learn and grow.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Absolutely - coaches too - they have to wear this one. Not trying to totally absolve them - but it would have been one thing if you had a young team making all those mistakes and then you think oh maybe they could have been better prepared - but this is a heavily veteran laden team where we were all thinking they were so prepared and ready to take care of business. The only 2 non senior/grad students that were mentioned on the stat sheet in the 4th quarter for JHU were Callahan on face-offs and the 1 shot by Hunter Chauvette.

I think this game this afternoon will lead to some thoughts on the coaching staff for me. No one is going to give Hopkins the Denver win if they beat Towson by a margin. They don't need to come out with their hair on fire - expend a ton of emotional energy - go up by 3/4 goals and then have Towson rally and you have no legs. They need focus not anger.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:41 am - I don't often totally disagree with 16 but there was nothing about Smith's hit that was advisable or beneficial to the future because "We need him on that wall". It was incredibly ill advised given the situation so while you can argue till the moon turns green about whether it was a hit to the head and deserved 2 minutes non releasable it was late and it was unnecessary so it's 1 minute for sure. And then the last millisecond goal - you are likely coached in that type of last second situation to not let a crease feed occur - tackling the opponents - especially man down is probably not on the whiteboard - they reverted to what they were taught - they were tired - and they packed it in to not allow a quick stick. Have to depend on your goalie sometimes.
I said nothing of the sort, that might have been someone else. What I said was Smith's decision to go was likely influenced by the fact that the Jays had already gotten away with a few similar hits. Even so, it was still a dumb hit to make, even if the 2-minute unreleasable was excessive. The hit was late but it was simply not to the head. Shoulder to the chest, doesn't leave his feet. Regardless, you've got to trust Martin there, he had the caused TO on the trail check and didn't need the aggressive slide help.

Also maybe it's poor sportsmanship or whatever but with 2-3 seconds left, "tackling the opponents" absolutely should be in the playbook. Not just in this game but in general. Herm Edwards was right about one thing — you play to win the game. Until they change the rules to make it so the game can't end on a penalty, you take the penalty along with your win.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:41 am - In addition your senior consensus pre-season AA defenseman takes a cross checking foul - leading to a time-out JHU - this is the one where I wonder more than the 1st - yes your defense is tired and you want to be set in case you lose the face-off but.... that situation should be covered in practice
Assuming I'm remembering the situation correctly they called timeout here entirely due to disarray and not wanting to get hit with a subsequent delay of game foul most likely. There was a bunch of confusion and it was taking a while to get things set. Looked like we had substitutes going in and out guys going to the wrong parts of the field, too many men on the field. Some elements of the staff and players were not fully on the same page with I think some of them unaware it was a man down faceoff. PM was not remotely happy about having to use the timeout.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Apologies if I mis-represented or mis-attributed a thought. Without combing thorugh pages - I thought - while clearly identifying Smith's foul as a mistake - you gave him a bit of leeway saying that aggressive mind-set is essentially what makes Smith Smith.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:26 am Assuming I'm remembering the situation correctly they called timeout here entirely due to disarray and not wanting to get hit with a subsequent delay of game foul most likely. There was a bunch of confusion and it was taking a while to get things set. Looked like we had substitutes going in and out guys going to the wrong parts of the field, too many men on the field. Some elements of the staff and players were not fully on the same page with I think some of them unaware it was a man down faceoff. PM was not remotely happy about having to use the timeout.
Yes I am sure you are correct - I was going by the JHU stat sheet and not completely matching it up to the game as it appeared visually - so there was definitely a bit of antiseptic to the presentation e.g. I believe one - especially if a black and blue fan - of McDermott's turnovers could have been rightly called a foul. I was unsure of MIlliman's comments about using a timeout for not getting to spots was an overall comment of play on the first part of the quarter or the disarray after the Denver goal.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

I sure hope the Blue Jay players and staff don't take a cue from their fans -- still talking about Saturday's game when the next opponent is in four hours. ;)
Last edited by rolldodge on Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

rolldodge wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:07 pm I sure hope the Blue Jay players and staff don't take a queue from their fans -- still talking about Saturday's game when the next opponent is in four hours. ;)
Don't worry, we'll still be talking about it even after the Towson game
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Just went to ESPNU and that intolerable gasbag Q the K is back again...gag.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:04 pm Just went to ESPNU and that intolerable gasbag Q the K is back again...gag.
“intolerable gasbag”

I’m not arguing that one
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Still no Aviles or Ince
primitiveskills

Nevermind. There's Aviles.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This offense is much harder to defend when Angelus is a threat to take it to the rack himself, which he has been these first two games. Good stuff.
primitiveskills

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:23 pm This offense is much harder to defend when Angelus is a threat to take it to the rack himself, which he has been these first two games. Good stuff.
So much more decisive this year. He looks great.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Q the K mindless babbling during the last five minutes of the quarter...shut up you idiot !!!
primitiveskills

Towson's entire offense is the two quick middies (who are really good). The entire attack are fish. We should really be able to shut them down.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”