Ivy League 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Ivy League 2019

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:19 pm Sorry Ivies.
I’m venting on your thread.
Why the Hades are Yale and Penn in the same bracket, watching the Yale game now :?: :!:
A more pressing question ... why does the Georgetown fight song following each goal sound like the band music from a Little Italy festival?!?

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Quakes finally win one, after 30 years :!:

Still feel bad about 2014.

Welp, Yale - Penn.
So guaranteed Ivies get to Semis.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Well done, Quakers.

Now, third time is the charm.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Top of your conference looked fantastic today. Next weeks game should be one of the better played games of the tournament.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:47 pm Top of your conference looked fantastic today. Next weeks game should be one of the better played games of the tournament.
They looked like they don't deserve each other in the quarters
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

flyerfan17 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:13 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:47 pm Top of your conference looked fantastic today. Next weeks game should be one of the better played games of the tournament.
They don't. Penn deserved a 2 or 3 seed.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Chousnake wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:01 pm
No matter. Play on.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:38 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:01 pm
No matter. Play on.
Penn looked great — congratulations on advancing.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Saw the post game interview with Simon Mathias. The players don't care that they get Yale. Someone has to get them, and you have to win 4 games...doesn't matter who it is.

I'd like to see 2 Ivies meet farther into it, but I don't think the players really care. I think the Penn players might actually like it.

Next game. Next team. Play on.

Yes, Penn was underseeded. At this point, so what? Play on.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Yale and Penn both capable of winning it all, and so are several other teams still remaining. Penn has slightly outplayed Yale the two times they have faced each other this year. I suspect as well as am hoping we see the best from both this coming weekend. Two very good teams going toe to toe with their seasons on the line. What lax fan could ask for more?
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

I could ask that they did not play each other again until at least the Final Four. They are both to good for this to be a final 8 match-up. And to both be in the bracket with PSU vs all the other big names,with less game, this year is criminal.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Well, this is the second consecutive year with two Ivies in the NCAAs, two straight years they both won their first-round games. I've seen some very good arguments that Cornell deserved to be in this dance more than Hop. I certainly wish Cornell had been given a chance, feel the Big Red would have done better than JHU did (hindsight makes a head-to-head comparison in South Bend too easy). Okay, I will be absolutely delighted if Yale wins Sunday, but in either case, come the Final Four I will be cheering for the remaining Ivy team. I hope that next year the Ivy has three teams indisputably good enough to get into the NCAA tourney and that the selection committee doesn't botch it.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Not sure I understand the last seeding. Two teams ranked 2 and 3 and they come out of a great conference game and they come out to 4 5. I'm sure we'll hear how the ACC once again has 2 or 3 teams in the final 4. Both Penn and Yale final four worthy.
Lux et veritas
calourie

Post by calourie »

Would love to see either of the Ivies hoist the trophy, and thereby increase the status of the league in the eyes of the doubters. Both Penn and Yale between them gave #1 Penn State all they could handle this year and then some. Leads one to believe they both have what it takes to go all the way. If they are both as good as some in here and elsewhere in Fanlax like to tout, one or the other will end up with a plum opportunity to show that the selection committee got the seeding wrong. Sunday sets up to be must see TV.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Agree! And actually haven't decided which direction I'm supporting. Do I go for the repeat Ivy NCAA Championship... or a NEW Ivy NCAA Champion, therefore spreading the wealth and Ivy domination in the NCAA tourney?! It's a tough one for me. I'm an unabashed TD fan, so sway toward the Eli's side on that one... but then look at Penn winning the Ivy outright and start pulling for them... either way, i'll be cheering for whoever wins Sunday! That's for sure!
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Looks identical to 2016 bracket, guarantees only one Ivy makes final four. 4/5 Penn/Yale today, 4/5 Yale/Brown then. Apologies for beating the dead horse.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Only Ivy still standing with any sort of legitimate beef regarding their seeding is Penn, and even then comparing their resume to Duke's and Virginia's I don't see any egregious crime committed by the tournament committee in seeding the three in the order in which it has been done. And so Yale and Penn are left to fight it out one last time between themselves for a final four slot and an ongoing shot at the crown. Both teams deserve to be proud of what they have achieved so far, and the winner should be ecstatic to have made it to Philley.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

I thought Penn should be a 3, possibly a 2. Duke faded, while Penn improved, which I thought could get Penn the 2 seed. But given Duke schooled Penn head-to-head early in season, no issue with Duke getting the 2 seed ahead of Penn. But how did they give UVA the 3 seed? Thats what I don't get. But its only 1 spot, so, whatever.

But look at it like this:

If Penn had the 3 seed, they'd be on the other side of the bracket, and it would break up the "ACC group" on that side. Duke, ND, UVA, UMD (still ACC in my book). That would be good for the ACC. Right now they beat eachother.

And the 3 seed would break up the Yale-Penn matchup, giving us a Yale-UVa game. Both more interesting at this point in the tourney.

But not a huge crime, you still have to win 4 games, no matter what the order. I think we as fans care more about it than the players. The players probably wouldn't mind knocking out their nemesis as early as possible.

Would Yale rather have UVa and Penn have UMD? I don't think it matters. Those games would be just as difficult. These next 4 games could be a mix and match between any of the 8 teams, and you'd still have 4 great contests. These teams are all pretty equal. ANY of them can win it all.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Agree that Penn should have been 2 or 3: 2 on all factors, 3 if you consider the loss to Duke. But, how can Duke be at #2 when they didn't win their conference title and Virginia did (even if not an AQ)? It seemed like a selection Sunday slight-of-hand-pick-your-stat-swap by the committee to have two ACC teams leap over two Ivy teams. For the record: 1. PSU, 2. Penn, 3. Virginia, 4. Yale or Duke, 5. Yale or Duke.
Lux et veritas
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Agreed. But we have what we have now, and all remaining games good matches. The champ will have to navigate 3 tough games. Don't think it matters much who. Maybe when you would play someone, but ya still gotta play and win.

Do you think any of the teams feel slighted at their positions right now? I think they'd all say "roll the ball out and lets play." If Penn was the 3 seed they'd have UMD instead of Yale. Any difference there? UMD bet Penn early in season, Penn beat Yale twice this season. Whats the difference? Duke may have gotten the easier path, but RIchmond was no cake-walk, and ND looks pretty strong right now, so.....

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”