Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
coda

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by coda »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:30 am
FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:19 am You're man down, so someone's open by definition?? There were 2.9 seconds to go, It had to be a quick pass and shot...why even cover the guy starting with the ball? That may have been the worst coaching--or non-coaching--play I've ever seen. And JJ scored the last several goals yet he's able to catch and shoot? Reminds me of the NY Giants handing the ball off & fumbling against the Eagles instead of victory formation :roll:
If you leave the guy with the ball open, 2.9 seconds is easily enough time to get to the cage. So, you're sliding or rotating eventually. If you want to shut off Sillstrop, that's fine. But ultimately 3 seconds is enough time to get off a shot in a couple of different ways.
Should have pushed out. I didnt even like the Denver set. Probably should have had 2 guys screening. No need for a back up there.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:38 am
primitiveskills wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:59 am
78Jay wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:53 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:55 pm Hunter Chauvette: 3 shots, 3 SOGs, 3 goals.

I doubt any freshman in Hopkins history has started his career like that.

DocBarrister :shock:
Mike O’Neil vs Virginia at home 1975. 5 goals and Chic called a TO to set up the game winner that Mike scored on.
Didn't Terry Riordan score 4 in his first game?
Did O’Neil and Riordan score on the first three shots of their career? That’s what I’m looking at.

Lots of Hopkins greats had memorable initial games. Did anyone else score three goals on their first three shots?

DocBarrister
Good question. 1992 was way too long ago for my age-addled brain (much less 1975!). But the pre-internet days were awesome because every once-in-awhile some guy like Riordan (who you probably had never seen or even heard of unless you were living on LI and going to HS games) would suddenly appear, have a first game like that, and your mind would be blown!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

coda wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:47 am
FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:19 am You're man down, so someone's open by definition?? There were 2.9 seconds to go, It had to be a quick pass and shot...why even cover the guy starting with the ball? That may have been the worst coaching--or non-coaching--play I've ever seen. And JJ scored the last several goals yet he's able to catch and shoot? Reminds me of the NY Giants handing the ball off & fumbling against the Eagles instead of victory formation :roll:
If you leave the guy with the ball open, 2.9 seconds is easily enough time to get to the cage. So, you're sliding or rotating eventually. If you want to shut off Sillstrop, that's fine. But ultimately 3 seconds is enough time to get off a shot in a couple of different ways.
Should have pushed out. I didnt even like the Denver set. Probably should have had 2 guys screening. No need for a back up there.
Fine, then don't cover the guy on the far backside(watch the replay)--could easily pick-off a long pass; there's no way someone inside the box should be able to catch and shoot unimpeded..
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

primitiveskills

FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:56 am
Fine, then don't cover the guy on the far backside(watch the replay)--could easily pick-off a long pass; there's no way someone inside the box should be able to catch and shoot unimpeded..
Too painful to watch the replay! But that's a fair point. If Denver had a guy far backside, yes, leave him alone and take your chances. I just assumed Denver had 3 on the crease, a screener in the high crease, and Sillstrop up top. To Coda's point, that was a not-great set-up by Denver.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Yep, cover the restart guy and shut off everyone else except the guy on the far side. Fine.

Lots of better options than what the Blue Jays actually did.

And again … Quint K made the exact correct call in the booth regarding the play Denver was going to run. PM and JK should have known right away, too, and called the right defensive set.

Coaches blew it. There can be no reasonable debate on this point. NONE.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:07 am
Yep, cover the restart guy and shut off everyone else except the guy on the far side. Fine.

And again … Quint K made the exact correct call in the booth regarding the play Denver was going to run. PM and JK should have known right away, too, and called the right defensive set.

DocBarrister
How about covering Sillstrop with a pole considering he just scored the last two goals? Truly an epic colapse.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:13 am
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:32 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:42 am
flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:58 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:28 pm Smith's dumb penalties directly cost hop the game but coaching decision to put offense into hibernation in 4q was reason why Denver was able to get back into game
Jays need that snarl out of Smith. They just do. It’s not a 2 minute penalty. The refs blew that one
Hopkins had the ball w 33sec. w a 12-11 lead. The clearing pass to the bench side was totally unnecessary. Go to your goalie and redirect. He basically threw it out of bounds. And, the penalty will be called all day . That was blatant shot to the head. Defense had a meltdown. Letting Sillstrop lay around and ping corners, poor clearing pass, the obvious high hit penalty. And btw, Irelan was 48% for the day.
it was a shot to the head, and it's within ref's discretion (quint was wrong and reciting high school rules), but i saw that as a one minute deal there. mcdermott was not fouled, he was d'ed up, spun, and got handled. i couldn't see the ball hitting the pipe for a restart of the clock. didn't look like trajectory changed, but couldn't tell fo sho.

as far as allowing those final 2 regulation goals. 1st was on the crease slide to a dummy/no angle dodge that was already covered quite well. that forced the 2 top d and backside ssdm to come help crease, and 2 simple passes left sillstrop a way-too-easy hands free rip.

on the final regulation play... they are man down and someone is going to be left open. it probably should've been whoever was at top of box on backside, but chances that guy is taking the same shot sillstrop is. 18-19 yards. ierlan has to have that. he was not screened (no idea what quint was talking about). you have to have a guy on the ball
he was getting a restart @ 20 yards @ gle with 2.6 (2.9?) seconds left. if you leave him alone, he's getting a free shot @10-12 yards with an angle. that would've been a disaster.

game in hand was lost on the bad slide and the ridiculous clearing pass.
I agree on the play at the end of regulation. You're man down, so someone is open by definition. If it's the guy at 20 yards, I think you have to take that anytime over the guy at 5-10 yards. I think Ierlan would tell you the same thing. I'm sure he would love to have that one back. And Hopkins has its lengthiest pole (Szuluk) approaching Sillstrop; so it's not as though they didn't anticipate that. On watching the replay, one problem was that Szuluk allows himself to be screened too easily. If he works underneath that screen (towards Sillstrop's shooting hand) rather than over the top he probably gets there to disrupt the shot. But the bottom line is that, as you say, an unscreened 18 yarder probably should be saved.
yeah, on szuluk i had noticed that, too when watching live. he knew his assignment was gonna be to sillstrop if the feed went there, stepped on top of high crease before restart, and then let the kid step back in front of him very easily obvious to be a pick.

quick rewatch, it looked like they played it right otherwise. guy on ball. gotta use 2 d men for the 2 low creasemen. if szuluk's shutting off sillstrop, the backside mid was actually down at 13 yds ish, and you're relying on top backside pole to both cover high crease and knockdown or get out to a guy @ 13 yds not 20 if the pass is fired. plus, he could very easily cut. i actially think denver had a pretty good setup there, and would've preferred hopkins play it differently.

szuluk should've made sure he started out topside of high crease man. barring that, and this is where coaching most everywhere isn't done well almost anywhere... he should've trucked that dude, not tried to get over or under. 3 seconds left, every d man should know the circumstances allow for u to foul like crazy on anything at that point. and it's very rarely done. pass inside, foul. dodge, foul. pick, foul. there are no rules up 1 with 3 seconds left. 18-19 yarder is the worst case outcome here, and that has got to be a save. like 95-97% of the time, wasn't even that good of a shot.
DocBarrister

The Legendary Quack Play

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:44 am
primitiveskills wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:13 am
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:32 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:42 am
flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:58 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:28 pm Smith's dumb penalties directly cost hop the game but coaching decision to put offense into hibernation in 4q was reason why Denver was able to get back into game
Jays need that snarl out of Smith. They just do. It’s not a 2 minute penalty. The refs blew that one
Hopkins had the ball w 33sec. w a 12-11 lead. The clearing pass to the bench side was totally unnecessary. Go to your goalie and redirect. He basically threw it out of bounds. And, the penalty will be called all day . That was blatant shot to the head. Defense had a meltdown. Letting Sillstrop lay around and ping corners, poor clearing pass, the obvious high hit penalty. And btw, Irelan was 48% for the day.
it was a shot to the head, and it's within ref's discretion (quint was wrong and reciting high school rules), but i saw that as a one minute deal there. mcdermott was not fouled, he was d'ed up, spun, and got handled. i couldn't see the ball hitting the pipe for a restart of the clock. didn't look like trajectory changed, but couldn't tell fo sho.

as far as allowing those final 2 regulation goals. 1st was on the crease slide to a dummy/no angle dodge that was already covered quite well. that forced the 2 top d and backside ssdm to come help crease, and 2 simple passes left sillstrop a way-too-easy hands free rip.

on the final regulation play... they are man down and someone is going to be left open. it probably should've been whoever was at top of box on backside, but chances that guy is taking the same shot sillstrop is. 18-19 yards. ierlan has to have that. he was not screened (no idea what quint was talking about). you have to have a guy on the ball
he was getting a restart @ 20 yards @ gle with 2.6 (2.9?) seconds left. if you leave him alone, he's getting a free shot @10-12 yards with an angle. that would've been a disaster.

game in hand was lost on the bad slide and the ridiculous clearing pass.
I agree on the play at the end of regulation. You're man down, so someone is open by definition. If it's the guy at 20 yards, I think you have to take that anytime over the guy at 5-10 yards. I think Ierlan would tell you the same thing. I'm sure he would love to have that one back. And Hopkins has its lengthiest pole (Szuluk) approaching Sillstrop; so it's not as though they didn't anticipate that. On watching the replay, one problem was that Szuluk allows himself to be screened too easily. If he works underneath that screen (towards Sillstrop's shooting hand) rather than over the top he probably gets there to disrupt the shot. But the bottom line is that, as you say, an unscreened 18 yarder probably should be saved.
yeah, on szuluk i had noticed that, too when watching live. he knew his assignment was gonna be to sillstrop if the feed went there, stepped on top of high crease before restart, and then let the kid step back in front of him very easily obvious to be a pick.

quick rewatch, it looked like they played it right otherwise. guy on ball. gotta use 2 d men for the 2 low creasemen. if szuluk's shutting off sillstrop, the backside mid was actually down at 13 yds ish, and you're relying on top backside pole to both cover high crease and knockdown or get out to a guy @ 13 yds not 20 if the pass is fired. plus, he could very easily cut. i actially think denver had a pretty good setup there, and would've preferred hopkins play it differently.

szuluk should've made sure he started out topside of high crease man. barring that, and this is where coaching most everywhere isn't done well almost anywhere... he should've trucked that dude, not tried to get over or under. 3 seconds left, every d man should know the circumstances allow for u to foul like crazy on anything at that point. and it's very rarely done. pass inside, foul. dodge, foul. pick, foul. there are no rules up 1 with 3 seconds left. 18-19 yarder is the worst case outcome here, and that has got to be a save. like 95-97% of the time, wasn't even that good of a shot.
Or … why not just have every Hopkins player on the field and on the bench start flapping their arms wildly and quacking loudly like a duck 🦆?

At worst, it would throw the Denver players off for 0.2 or 0.3 seconds, enough to run out the clock before the shot goes in the goal.* Even the Legendary Quack Play would have been better than what the Blue Jays actually did.

*Denver player post-game: “I’m still not sure what happened. One moment I’m holdin’ the ball with 2.6 seconds left, and the next thing I see, every crazy-a$$ Hopkins player is a flappin’ their arms and quacking loudly like a d*mn duck. Is that even legal?!?”

Coach PM during post-game news conference: “Well, as usual, I was too preoccupied chewing my gum like a cow chews cud to come up with a real defensive play. So I just started running down the sideline and yelling at everyone to start flapping their arms and quack like a duck. It worked … on to Towson.”

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Agree, I would hugged/tackled JJ as soon as whistled started, game over
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

It was a comprehensive meltdown. Lot of blame to go around. A panicked failed clear that would have iced that game after they had been clearing so well the entire game. An unforced turnover off an easy exchange pass in the 4th quarter. Smith making an unnecessary hit. Ierlan botching an easy save. Szuluk nowhere to be found on the game-tying and winning goals. All of these things needed to happen to let Denver back in the game, and they happened. If any one of them doesn't happen, the Jays probably win. So it's hard to blame one person or one play in particular. Basically no one did what they needed to do late to ice the game. It was a team loss and they've just go to own it and move on.

On a positive note, we've got H. Chauvette and Kilrain for 4 seasons. Can't remember the last freshman duo that was this impressive. From the same high school, no less. Keep these L'Ville kids coming. Playing in that program is like getting to start college early. They're all ready to go from the first day on campus and it shows.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:55 pm Hunter Chauvette: 3 shots, 3 SOGs, 3 goals.

Mike O’Neil vs Virginia at home 1975. 5 goals and Chic called a TO to set up the game winner that Mike scored on.
Great game...I was there. The crowd went bonkers , mostly students then.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:05 pm It was a comprehensive meltdown. Lot of blame to go around. A panicked failed clear that would have iced that game after they had been clearing so well the entire game. An unforced turnover off an easy exchange pass in the 4th quarter. Smith making an unnecessary hit. Ierlan botching an easy save. Szuluk nowhere to be found on the game-tying and winning goals. All of these things needed to happen to let Denver back in the game, and they happened. If any one of them doesn't happen, the Jays probably win. So it's hard to blame one person or one play in particular. Basically no one did what they needed to do late to ice the game. It was a team loss and they've just go to own it and move on.

On a positive note, we've got H. Chauvette and Kilrain for 4 seasons. Can't remember the last freshman duo that was this impressive. From the same high school, no less. Keep these L'Ville kids coming. Playing in that program is like getting to start college early. They're all ready to go from the first day on campus and it shows.
Yes. The last minute has been beaten to death and it was bad, but Hopkins didnt play well in the second half. You are not going to win many games scoring 3 goals in thee 2nd half.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:08 pm

Bill Morrill _ 5 _ vs. Yale (3-30-1957), ok, so Morrill was a sophomore back when freshman couldn't play varsity.
primitiveskills

10stone5 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:48 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:08 pm

Bill Morrill _ 5 _ vs. Yale (3-30-1957), ok, so Morrill was a sophomore back when freshman couldn't play varsity.
3-30-57. The craziest thing about that is that we will play our tenth(!) game of the season on March 30 this year, not the opener.
molo

Post by molo »

Fatigue yet you run three midfield. How can attackmen and midfielders that run in waves be fatigued in mildly cool weather?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:47 pm Attending the game, I felt midway from the 3rd quarter to the end of the game amounted to coaching malpractice. Crawley started off the game with a second midfield of Collinson, English and H. Chauvette. That second midfield accounted for 4 of Jays first 7 goals. Yet that combination disappeared as the offense went flat after going up 11-7. H. Chauvette only took one more shot after going 3-3. As fans, we all expected the Jays to put Denver away. But Crawley became too clever by half by running all sorts of new combinations of midfields. Instead of attacking, the offense languished with shot clock violations.

The defensive coaching malpractice was not shutting off Sillstrop, Denver’s only consistent outside threat. Everybody in the stadium, except Coach K and his defense, knew Sillstrop was going to take the last shot with two seconds remaining. It was pass and shoot. Yet the defense ignored the obvious play.

How did the defense that went three quarters without committing a penalty suddenly melt down with three penalties in the last eight minutes, each one more egregious than the one before? For Smith, who otherwise had a good game, to get TWO UNRELEASABLES in the last 3 minutes was a personal meltdown.

Denver, for much of the game, couldn’t be bothered to back up shots. Yet Hopkins handed them the game by coaching complacency and inattention.

I thought before the game that the Jays may have read too many of their lofty predictions. The meltdown may show them that they are not as good as they think they are.
Collison, Peshko, English, Chauvette have to play more.

Bauer, Grimes and McDermott starting perplexed me and continues to although someone suggested it was a Senior send off. Either way that group produced one goal.
78Jay

Post by 78Jay »

Mike won his first game.

And Chic called a TO to set up a play for him to score the winning goal, which he did.

And it’s “O’Neill”.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:07 am

DocBarrister
Maybe Coach K can worry more about end of game sets and less about camera time.

This is the most talented Jays team they have fielded in years. We’ve got lacrosse media saying the staff is the best in D1. They need to show it. PM did own not having the timeout available in the post game interview. It would have been nice to have that.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

deleted

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”