UNC 2024 Injuries

D1 Womens Lacrosse
ultravisitor

Re: UNC 2024 Injuries

Post by ultravisitor »

Is this the same injury that kept BWW out a few games last season or a different one?
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

WLaxdad wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:37 am Broken tibia! Ouch!
How are you going to come back this season with that injury? Maybe it's a small fracture or something but that's sort of an unusual one. ACL and foot/ankle injuries unfortunately I hear about all the time in Lax.
If it is a high stress fracture, you can be back in 8-10 weeks, though would probably be on a minutes restriction for a bit. I had a daughter who had a stress fracture on her tibia as a freshman in late June and she was back by mid-September.

Stress fractures in some form aren't that rare for freshman, who now must deal with a much higher workload on and off field.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

I would imagine that all of those girls will redshirt if they are going to miss more than a few games.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:20 pm I would imagine that all of those girls will redshirt if they are going to miss more than a few games.
I'm sure they would all like to, but its up to the coach to make that decision. In this era of transfer portal, I hear of many kids who want to redshirt (due to injury, likely very little PT) but are denied by the coach.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Can you imagine Jenny levy denying a red shirt to those 4 girls?? Walker Welch is one of the top cover defenders in the game today. Harden and white were two of the three best frosh last year (with Godine). And Humphrey is the chosen one.
I just can’t see it…
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:16 pm Can you imagine Jenny levy denying a red shirt to those 4 girls?? Walker Welch is one of the top cover defenders in the game today. Harden and white were two of the three best frosh last year (with Godine). And Humphrey is the chosen one.
I just can’t see it…
I think it depends on how UNC's season starts without them. If Jenny thinks this team can win a title, then I wouldn't be shocked to see them play in backhalf of season

Let's remember there is alot of talent in their last year of eligibility. A Humphrey, Wurtz, Nails, Dirks, the ECU transfer. If Jenny thinks this team can win it all and BWW or CH can contribute, I expect her to play to win.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

A. Humphrey has 2 years left … only played 22 and 23 at Stanford. Got her degree and moved on ASAP. I have said before on this forum … well played team Humphrey.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

A few thoughts regarding injuries.

American players come into college much like a high mileage car. Too many years playing too many club games, often with glaring deficiencies or nagging injuries you do not see in Europe. Further, we spend almost no time working on players and their running form when we are in a running sport.

If this were water polo you wouldn’t approach it in that manner.

I also think the college level sometimes loses sight of the big picture and can sometimes pile on too much volume, which results in injuries and setbacks. I wish more college coaches listened to the trainers to develop better programs rather than basing it off of what they learned when they played a long time ago.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:03 pm A few thoughts regarding injuries.

American players come into college much like a high mileage car. Too many years playing too many club games, often with glaring deficiencies or nagging injuries you do not see in Europe. Further, we spend almost no time working on players and their running form when we are in a running sport.

I also think the college level sometimes loses sight of the big picture and can sometimes pile on too much volume, which results in injuries and setbacks. I wish more college coaches listened to the trainers to develop better programs rather than basing it off of what they learned when they played a long time ago.
Same can be said for many of the strength coaches who are bulking the girls up in the wrong places and not focusing as much on injury prevention and sustainability. Data is out there AND there are tech devices to help monitor the workload of these athletes.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

intheknow247 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:53 am

Same can be said for many of the strength coaches who are bulking the girls up in the wrong places and not focusing as much on injury prevention and sustainability. Data is out there AND there are tech devices to help monitor the workload of these athletes.
The S&C coaches may have some input, but ultimately, the HC can and often does override suggestions. IMO there are too many coaches and some S&C coaches that don't understand how these players should train, so they try to train them like they did footballs players 10+ years ago.

The game is now about speed and if they aren't training for that first, they are missing the boat.
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

I agree with a lot of this. Until my older kid started working with a sports performance coach on speed and agility, she had zero instruction in proper running mechanics.

It's total anecdata but the girls on her club team who have had major orthopedic injuries have almost always been girls who do the soccer/basketball/lacrosse rotation in high school (which all have similar movement patterns) plus club lacrosse, and the girls who do nothing but lacrosse year-round. The girls who do sports with different movement patterns in the off-season - water polo, swimming, cross country, indoor track, rowing, wrestling - have a lower overall injury rate overall.

The level of intensity in high level college sports is a step up, even for athletes who were used to an intense training regimen in high school. I certainly found that the case as a D1 athlete in college. In high school I practiced only during the 2.5 month season. In college, I found myself practicing pretty much nonstop; depending on the time of year we had an official practice or a captain's practice (which you'd better attend if you wanted to stay in the coaches' good graces!) 5-6 days a week, plus strength and conditioning 2-3 days a week. Our team in a totally non-contact sport had one of the highest injury rates, with a lot of nagging overuse injuries that just weren't being allowed to fully heal. The volume and intensity was just so much higher than any of us had experienced in high school, and the coaches' viewpoint was that if you wanted to keep your spot, you'd continue to train and compete through the pain.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:30 pm A. Humphrey has 2 years left … only played 22 and 23 at Stanford. Got her degree and moved on ASAP. I have said before on this forum … well played team Humphrey.
Like Ashley and Chloe Humphrey...do not like UNC...and never will.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:00 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:30 pm A. Humphrey has 2 years left … only played 22 and 23 at Stanford. Got her degree and moved on ASAP. I have said before on this forum … well played team Humphrey.
Like Ashley and Chloe Humphrey...do not like UNC...and never will.
Well Nicole is transferring back to UNC so that should really make you happy Larry!!
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

ILWomen has the story:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ason/62529

Brooklyn Walker-Welch, Marissa White, and Chloe Humphrey (and Kaleigh Harden, who was injured in the fall) are all officially out for the season.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

intheknow247 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:31 pm Yikes...Brooklyn Walker-Welch, Marissa White, Chloe Humphrey...all out for the season with lower body injuries. Time to start adjusting your predictions.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:43 am
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:54 pm
Brownlax wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:25 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:31 pm Yikes...Brooklyn Walker-Welch, Marissa White, Chloe Humphrey...all out for the season with lower body injuries. Time to start adjusting your predictions.
Is this information public right now?
I havn't been able to find any verification of this. UNC lax posted practice clips from Jan 24 and Humphrey and White can be seen playing 100%. Did all three players get hurt and diagnosed with season ending injuries in the span of 7 days?

certainly possible but not likely
This information is not verified, I highly doubt its the case. Baseless speculation. Until you don't see any of them out there next Saturday, I wouldn't believe it!

Joe
Still highly doubting? Still not likely?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

intheknow247 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:34 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:43 am
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:54 pm
Brownlax wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:25 pm
Is this information public right now?
I havn't been able to find any verification of this. UNC lax posted practice clips from Jan 24 and Humphrey and White can be seen playing 100%. Did all three players get hurt and diagnosed with season ending injuries in the span of 7 days?

certainly possible but not likely
This information is not verified, I highly doubt its the case. Baseless speculation. Until you don't see any of them out there next Saturday, I wouldn't believe it!

Joe
Still highly doubting? Still not likely?
Baseless
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

intheknow247 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:34 pm Still highly doubting? Still not likely?
There you go--intheknow! You earned that victory lap.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

intheknow247 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:33 pm
I don't care who you cheer for, this is heartbreaking. Hope these kids fight back. I know I am pulling for them 100%.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:48 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:33 pm
I don't care who you cheer for, this is heartbreaking. Hope these kids fight back. I know I am pulling for them 100%.
+1

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”