Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by molo »

Good point about the midfields. Depth is important, but it’s also important to know who your best three are and have them out there when you need goals. Tough loss to be sure but it was to a good team that stepped up late. How do you think PSU and Maryland fans are feeling today? It’s a long season and the errors are correctable. There are those among us who are still feeling the sting of a blown lead to a peer team last May. Better to blue one in February than on MDWE.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Any thoughts on Towson...? I haven't an inkling about them this year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:25 pm Any thoughts on Towson...? I haven't an inkling about them this year.
Should be improved from last year's 6-9 record. Attackmen DeMaio and Villagomez and middie Weisshar are the names to be aware of on offense. They were pretty young on O last year so likely more comfortable now. They lose a couple pieces on D and that might be a place to exploit — their 6'7'' defenseman has finally graduated. The FOGO, who was originally a Hop commit, is good, but not as good as Denver's Stathakis, whom we largely neutralized. Expect they will compete for a CAA title but not much more than that. Would help us if they turn out to be better than expected.

The good news is, after Saturday's stunning ending, there's no chance the Jays overlook this game.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:42 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:25 pm Any thoughts on Towson...? I haven't an inkling about them this year.
Should be improved from last year's 6-9 record. Attackmen DeMaio and Villagomez and middie Weisshar are the names to be aware of on offense. They were pretty young on O last year so likely more comfortable now. They lose a couple pieces on D and that might be a place to exploit — their 6'7'' defenseman has finally graduated. The FOGO, who was originally a Hop commit, is good, but not as good as Denver's Stathakis, whom we largely neutralized. Expect they will compete for a CAA title but not much more than that. Would help us if they turn out to be better than expected.

The good news is, after Saturday's stunning ending, there's no chance the Jays overlook this game.
I like that you forgot about Schrier. 😉
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

molo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:08 pm Good point about the midfields. Depth is important, but it’s also important to know who your best three are and have them out there when you need goals. Tough loss to be sure but it was to a good team that stepped up late. How do you think PSU and Maryland fans are feeling today? It’s a long season and the errors are correctable. There are those among us who are still feeling the sting of a blown lead to a peer team last May. Better to blue one in February than on MDWE.
A long season indeed. By my count, there were 11(!) offensive players ("midfielders") who we ran out of the box yesterday. Have to think that number gets narrowed down by the time are in B1G games. And it might have been a little too experimental when we were "comfortably" ahead (or not so comfortably, as it turns out) late in the third; the last possession of the third there was a C Chauvette/ Evans/ Ayers line that was sort of a head-scratcher. But as painful as the experience was, you have to think midfield depth is a huge plus for us in the long run. There are several top teams out there that have trouble generating offense once they get beyond their top 3. We won't have that issue.

Speaking of midfield, I though Peshko looked great yesterday. Hoping for a big year from him.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Anyone know what happened with Aviles?
coda

Post by coda »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:29 pm
molo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:08 pm Good point about the midfields. Depth is important, but it’s also important to know who your best three are and have them out there when you need goals. Tough loss to be sure but it was to a good team that stepped up late. How do you think PSU and Maryland fans are feeling today? It’s a long season and the errors are correctable. There are those among us who are still feeling the sting of a blown lead to a peer team last May. Better to blue one in February than on MDWE.
A long season indeed. By my count, there were 11(!) offensive players ("midfielders") who we ran out of the box yesterday. Have to think that number gets narrowed down by the time are in B1G games. And it might have been a little too experimental when we were "comfortably" ahead (or not so comfortably, as it turns out) late in the third; the last possession of the third there was a C Chauvette/ Evans/ Ayers line that was sort of a head-scratcher. But as painful as the experience was, you have to think midfield depth is a huge plus for us in the long run. There are several top teams out there that have trouble generating offense once they get beyond their top 3. We won't have that issue.

Speaking of midfield, I though Peshko looked great yesterday. Hoping for a big year from him.
I am quite interested to see how the Chauvette at midfield works. I have watched him for a few years and never would have guessed that move. I am guessing they are just trying to find a way to get his shot on the field.
primitiveskills

coda wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:35 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:29 pm

I am quite interested to see how the Chauvette at midfield works. I have watched him for a few years and never would have guessed that move. I am guessing they are just trying to find a way to get his shot on the field.
Absolutely need to find a way to get his shot on the field. And I'm not sure many/ any of these guys are "middies" in the classic 2-way sense. More like a collection of offensive-end players.
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

I’m a Navy alum, never had any success vs you guys. But seems to me like Coach K has spent too much of his time on the team IG page. I kid, I kid.
molo

Post by molo »

Chauvette and Degnon effectively play the same position: lefty sharpshooter. Next year 34 will be a full time attackman. Meanwhile, he needs to be on the field for way more than a third of offensive possessions.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:42 am
flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:58 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:28 pm Smith's dumb penalties directly cost hop the game but coaching decision to put offense into hibernation in 4q was reason why Denver was able to get back into game
Jays need that snarl out of Smith. They just do. It’s not a 2 minute penalty. The refs blew that one
Hopkins had the ball w 33sec. w a 12-11 lead. The clearing pass to the bench side was totally unnecessary. Go to your goalie and redirect. He basically threw it out of bounds. And, the penalty will be called all day . That was blatant shot to the head. Defense had a meltdown. Letting Sillstrop lay around and ping corners, poor clearing pass, the obvious high hit penalty. And btw, Irelan was 48% for the day.
it was a shot to the head, and it's within ref's discretion (quint was wrong and reciting high school rules), but i saw that as a one minute deal there. mcdermott was not fouled, he was d'ed up, spun, and got handled. i couldn't see the ball hitting the pipe for a restart of the clock. didn't look like trajectory changed, but couldn't tell fo sho.

as far as allowing those final 2 regulation goals. 1st was on the crease slide to a dummy/no angle dodge that was already covered quite well. that forced the 2 top d and backside ssdm to come help crease, and 2 simple passes left sillstrop a way-too-easy hands free rip.

on the final regulation play... they are man down and someone is going to be left open. it probably should've been whoever was at top of box on backside, but chances that guy is taking the same shot sillstrop is. 18-19 yards. ierlan has to have that. he was not screened (no idea what quint was talking about). you have to have a guy on the ball
he was getting a restart @ 20 yards @ gle with 2.6 (2.9?) seconds left. if you leave him alone, he's getting a free shot @10-12 yards with an angle. that would've been a disaster.

game in hand was lost on the bad slide and the ridiculous clearing pass.
coda

Post by coda »

molo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:51 pm Chauvette and Degnon effectively play the same position: lefty sharpshooter. Next year 34 will be a full time attackman. Meanwhile, he needs to be on the field for way more than a third of offensive possessions.
Correct. The key is surrounding them with playmakers, so they get their open looks. Too many shooters on the field can make your offense stagnant.
coda

Post by coda »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:32 am
stupefied wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:28 pm Smith's dumb penalties directly cost hop the game but coaching decision to put offense into hibernation in 4q was reason why Denver was able to get back into game
Jays need that snarl out of Smith. They just do. It’s not a 2 minute penalty. The refs blew that one
Hopkins had the ball w 33sec. w a 12-11 lead. The clearing pass to the bench side was totally unnecessary. Go to your goalie and redirect. He basically threw it out of bounds. And, the penalty will be called all day . That was blatant shot to the head. Defense had a meltdown. Letting Sillstrop lay around and ping corners, poor clearing pass, the obvious high hit penalty. And btw, Irelan was 48% for the day.
it was a shot to the head, and it's within ref's discretion (quint was wrong and reciting high school rules), but i saw that as a one minute deal there. mcdermott was not fouled, he was d'ed up, spun, and got handled. i couldn't see the ball hitting the pipe for a restart of the clock. didn't look like trajectory changed, but couldn't tell fo sho.

as far as allowing those final 2 regulation goals. 1st was on the crease slide to a dummy/no angle dodge that was already covered quite well. that forced the 2 top d and backside ssdm to come help crease, and 2 simple passes left sillstrop a way-too-easy hands free rip.

on the final regulation play... they are man down and someone is going to be left open. it probably should've been whoever was at top of box on backside, but chances that guy is taking the same shot sillstrop is. 18-19 yards. ierlan has to have that. he was not screened (no idea what quint was talking about). you have to have a guy on the ball
he was getting a restart @ 20 yards @ gle with 2.6 (2.9?) seconds left. if you leave him alone, he's getting a free shot @10-12 yards with an angle. that would've been a disaster.

They handled that last possession poorly. Start at the end line with 10 seconds left and threw a pass to the middle of the field with 5/6 seconds left. Denver got the easy clear and about 20 yards from the end line. If you went into full turtle mode, it would have taken more time off. Technically the last goal was in the 6 v 6, as the penalty had expired a few seconds prior to the goal. By putting the ball in the corner you could have set up the attack to at least ride and take some more time off and been 6 v 6 on the defensive end.
78Jay

Post by 78Jay »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:55 pm Hunter Chauvette: 3 shots, 3 SOGs, 3 goals.

I doubt any freshman in Hopkins history has started his career like that.

DocBarrister :shock:
Mike O’Neil vs Virginia at home 1975. 5 goals and Chic called a TO to set up the game winner that Mike scored on.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:53 am

They handled that last possession poorly. Start at the end line with 10 seconds left and threw a pass to the middle of the field with 5/6 seconds left. Denver got the easy clear and about 20 yards from the end line. If you went into full turtle mode, it would have taken more time off. Technically the last goal was in the 6 v 6, as the penalty had expired a few seconds prior to the goal. By putting the ball in the corner you could have set up the attack to at least ride and take some more time off and been 6 v 6 on the defensive end.
sure. there was nothing there and that pass wasn't getting caught and scored more than 5% of the time. was a bad decision. still, they had chewed the shot clock (mostly) and got in with a chance to kill the penalty. denver has a few less seconds they probably move to get a shot quicker on man up, who knows.
primitiveskills

78Jay wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:53 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:55 pm Hunter Chauvette: 3 shots, 3 SOGs, 3 goals.

Mike O’Neil vs Virginia at home 1975. 5 goals and Chic called a TO to set up the game winner that Mike scored on.
Didn't Terry Riordan score 4 in his first game?
primitiveskills

I agree on the play at the end of regulation. You're man down, so someone is open by definition. If it's the guy at 20 yards, I think you have to take that anytime over the guy at 5-10 yards. I think Ierlan would tell you the same thing. I'm sure he would love to have that one back. And Hopkins has its lengthiest pole (Szuluk) approaching Sillstrop; so it's not as though they didn't anticipate that. On watching the replay, one problem was that Szuluk allows himself to be screened too easily. If he works underneath that screen (towards Sillstrop's shooting hand) rather than over the top he probably gets there to disrupt the shot. But the bottom line is that, as you say, an unscreened 18 yarder probably should be saved.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

You're man down, so someone's open by definition?? There were 2.9 seconds to go, It had to be a quick pass and shot...why even cover the guy starting with the ball? That may have been the worst coaching--or non-coaching--play I've ever seen. And JJ scored the last several goals yet he's able to catch and shoot? Reminds me of the NY Giants handing the ball off & fumbling against the Eagles instead of victory formation :roll:
primitiveskills

FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:19 am You're man down, so someone's open by definition?? There were 2.9 seconds to go, It had to be a quick pass and shot...why even cover the guy starting with the ball? That may have been the worst coaching--or non-coaching--play I've ever seen. And JJ scored the last several goals yet he's able to catch and shoot? Reminds me of the NY Giants handing the ball off & fumbling against the Eagles instead of victory formation :roll:
If you leave the guy with the ball open, 2.9 seconds is easily enough time to get to the cage. So, you're sliding or rotating eventually. If you want to shut off Sillstrop, that's fine. But ultimately 3 seconds is enough time to get off a shot in a couple of different ways.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:59 am
78Jay wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:53 am

Didn't Terry Riordan score 4 in his first game?
Did O’Neil and Riordan score on the first three shots of their career? That’s what I’m looking at.

Lots of Hopkins greats had memorable initial games. Did anyone else score three goals on their first three shots?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”