Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by primitiveskills »

With the end-of-game beaten to death, here's a sky-is-not-falling take. We'll be fine. Better than fine. Its February 3rd. Penn St lost to 'Gate. The Terps needed 2 OTs to beat Richmond. Sh*t happens in February. Denver is a good team and JJ Sillstrop's a beast.

There's simply too much talent and experience on both ends of the field for this not to be a great year. One huge area of concern was FO/ wing play; I'd say its no longer an area of concern. Ierlan should have had that save at the end of regulation, but otherwise it looks like he's an upgrade/ steadying force, particularly in the clear game. Stoebner looks like a great add. Great contribution from freshmen. Hunter Chauvette is going to score a bunch of goals over the next four years. Quilrain... enough said. Ayers looks great off-ball; could have had a couple of goals off great cuts to the crease but no one found him.

Only real concern is injuries(?) on the defensive end. Didn't see Brown, Aviles, Ince at all. Rope unit was completely worn down at the end. Hopefully those guys are back soon.

I'm expecting us to bounce back strong. Its a long season.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:51 pm With the end-of-game beaten to death, here's a sky-is-not-falling take. We'll be fine. Better than fine. Its February 3rd. Penn St lost to 'Gate. The Terps needed 2 OTs to beat Richmond. Sh*t happens in February. Denver is a good team and JJ Sillstrop's a beast.

There's simply too much talent and experience on both ends of the field for this not to be a great year. One huge area of concern was FO/ wing play; I'd say its no longer an area of concern. Ierlan should have had that save at the end of regulation, but otherwise it looks like he's an upgrade/ steadying force, particularly in the clear game. Stoebner looks like a great add. Great contribution from freshmen. Hunter Chauvette is going to score a bunch of goals over the next four years. Quilrain... enough said. Ayers looks great off-ball; could have had a couple of goals off great cuts to the crease but no one found him.

Only real concern is injuries(?) on the defensive end. Didn't see Brown, Aviles, Ince at all. Rope unit was completely worn down at the end. Hopefully those guys are back soon.

Brown got a shift or two, got scored on, and we didn't see him again.

Would love to know what the deal is with Aviles...was told he's not hurt. Saw him on the sideline and looked fine. Ince has a lower body injury but don't think it's serious.

Martin had a hell of a game. Deserves every bit of the recognition he's getting. Thought the shorties played general well despite the short bench. Raposo had a couple important GBs off the faceoff wing.
primitiveskills

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:56 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:51 pm With the end-of-game beaten to death, here's a sky-is-not-falling take. We'll be fine. Better than fine. Its February 3rd. Penn St lost to 'Gate. The Terps needed 2 OTs to beat Richmond. Sh*t happens in February. Denver is a good team and JJ Sillstrop's a beast.

Brown got a shift or two, got scored on, and we didn't see him again.

Would love to know what the deal is with Aviles...was told he's not hurt. Saw him on the sideline and looked fine. Ince has a lower body injury but don't think it's serious.

Martin had a hell of a game. Deserves every bit of the recognition he's getting. Thought the shorties played general well despite the short bench. Raposo had a couple important GBs off the faceoff wing.
That would be concerning about Aviles. He looked phenomenal in the fall. Could have used him today. Jaronski, in partiucular, was dead on his feet at the end.

But I agree that SSDMs weren't a major factor in the "L" today. Still, D needs to be cleaned up (which I suspect it will be). Sagging way too far in off-ball. I'm not that concerned about the pens, we slide hard and that's part of the risk you take by playing that way. Also, the offense did the D no favoprs in the last 20 minutes. We had 5 (I think, without going back to watch a game that I have no intention of going back and watching!) possessions up 11-7. Two saveable shots (that were saved), 2 unforced TOs, and offsides. That was the game. We gave them way too many chances and played way too much defense at the end. All easily correctable stuff, though.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Where was Collision today...? Did he have any shots ?
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Collison was 0-3 shooting.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

stupefied wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:28 pm Smith's dumb penalties directly cost hop the game but coaching decision to put offense into hibernation in 4q was reason why Denver was able to get back into game
Jays need that snarl out of Smith. They just do. It’s not a 2 minute penalty. The refs blew that one
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:58 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:28 pm Smith's dumb penalties directly cost hop the game but coaching decision to put offense into hibernation in 4q was reason why Denver was able to get back into game
Jays need that snarl out of Smith. They just do. It’s not a 2 minute penalty. The refs blew that one
Plus, the zebras had already established that they were allowing physical play today. If you want to call it a penalty, fine, but you have to adjudicate it consistently across the whole game and they didn't. I don't blame Smith for thinking he'd get away with that especially after McDermott was mugged on the other end of the field and there was no call.

Basically everything that could possibly go wrong at the end there went wrong. The good news is it'd be difficult for another 4th quarter to be as cursed as this one was. Somebody at Homewood messed with the wrong voodoo doll.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Going to see this chart in my nightmares

Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Hopkins had the ball w 33sec. w a 12-11 lead. The clearing pass to the bench side was totally unnecessary. Go to your goalie and redirect. He basically threw it out of bounds. And, the penalty will be called all day . That was blatant shot to the head. Defense had a meltdown. Letting Sillstrop lay around and ping corners, poor clearing pass, the obvious high hit penalty. And btw, Irelan was 48% for the day.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

A lot of complaining on here re refs yesterday. Were there many reviews?

I watched MD vs Rich knowing I can see Hop game on espnu later today.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Great game, but a terribly unnecessary loss. Gotta get past it and move on, because this team can beat anyone.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Coaching let our boys down...
primitiveskills

tech37 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:49 am A lot of complaining on here re refs yesterday. Were there many reviews?

No reviews (thankfully!). Like any game, there were some questionable calls, but none fit into the pointless review categories that are in place. I think most of the comments here were on Smith's late 2-minute unreleasable; it was probably late and high, but probably not direct to the head, but its out of your hands on that sort of late/ high approach. The one that was pretty influential in the outcome, where review might have helped, was a the shot in OT that audibly (and visually, on replay) hit the post and should have reset the shot clock. But didn't. Oh, well.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:57 am
tech37 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:49 am A lot of complaining on here re refs yesterday. Were there many reviews?

No reviews (thankfully!). Like any game, there were some questionable calls, but none fit into the pointless review categories that are in place. I think most of the comments here were on Smith's late 2-minute unreleasable; it was probably late and high, but probably not direct to the head, but its out of your hands on that sort of late/ high approach. The one that was pretty influential in the outcome, where review might have helped, was a the shot in OT that audibly (and visually, on replay) hit the post and should have reset the shot clock. But didn't. Oh, well.
Amazing game obviously. I agree that the OT reset was huge...review not allowed in that case? I couldn't tell from live play.

Looked like refs let a lot go both ways all game but thought Hop got away with a lot of pushes from behind that would normally have been called. Otherwise pretty even.

IMO, have to give Denver credit for the win much more than discrediting Hop for the loss. Hop looked great until the 11 (i think) min mark in 4th, up by 4. TOs and lost FOs from that point didn't help. Very good D by Denver in 4th more of a factor than Hop slowing their offense.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:04 pm
Plus, the zebras had already established that they were allowing physical play today. If you want to call it a penalty, fine, but you have to adjudicate it consistently across the whole game and they didn't. I don't blame Smith for thinking he'd get away with that especially after McDermott was mugged on the other end of the field and there was no call.

Basically everything that could possibly go wrong at the end there went wrong. The good news is it'd be difficult for another 4th quarter to be as cursed as this one was. Somebody at Homewood messed with the wrong voodoo doll.
Who's defensive bright idea was it to leave Silstrop wide the EFF open with two seconds in regulation, with his strong hand, and a wide open shot at the cage?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:29 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:04 pm

Who's defensive bright idea was it to leave Silstrop wide the EFF open with two seconds in regulation, with his strong hand, and a wide open shot at the cage?
Yeah, that's definitely on the coaching staff. However, after the game, PM said they had very little time to organize the defense before that restart (there was no timeout, technically) so they were forced to scream orders from the sideline to the other end of the field. I suppose something could have gotten lost in translation. But, yeah, either way, the sequence was bungled. And even so you hope your goalie can make a save on a shot from nearly 20 yards out.

Learning experience. It stings beyond belief right now but I tend to think this moment could help them in the long run. (Unless, of course, they lose out on an at-large spot to Denver. :D) Certainly do not think they are going to take any lead even remotely for granted from now on.
coda

Post by coda »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:57 am

Based on what I saw, announcers, and the refs the English shot hit the base of the goal, not the frame of the goal. That is not a reset. If you have a replay that shows it hitting the front frame of the goal, I would love to see it
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Difficult way to lose a season opener but just one loss that shouldn't alter the big pic . This viewer thought Hop looked like a championship team for over 3q. Stronger than I thought and as good as preseason polls suggested. #5 able to rip with Lampert out perplexed. Hop can go far if certain spots hold up their end.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Attending the game, I felt midway from the 3rd quarter to the end of the game amounted to coaching malpractice. Crawley started off the game with a second midfield of Collinson, English and H. Chauvette. That second midfield accounted for 4 of Jays first 7 goals. Yet that combination disappeared as the offense went flat after going up 11-7. H. Chauvette only took one more shot after going 3-3. As fans, we all expected the Jays to put Denver away. But Crawley became too clever by half by running all sorts of new combinations of midfields. Instead of attacking, the offense languished with shot clock violations.

The defensive coaching malpractice was not shutting off Sillstrop, Denver’s only consistent outside threat. Everybody in the stadium, except Coach K and his defense, knew Sillstrop was going to take the last shot with two seconds remaining. It was pass and shoot. Yet the defense ignored the obvious play.

How did the defense that went three quarters without committing a penalty suddenly melt down with three penalties in the last eight minutes, each one more egregious than the one before? For Smith, who otherwise had a good game, to get TWO UNRELEASABLES in the last 3 minutes was a personal meltdown.

Denver, for much of the game, couldn’t be bothered to back up shots. Yet Hopkins handed them the game by coaching complacency and inattention.

I thought before the game that the Jays may have read too many of their lofty predictions. The meltdown may show them that they are not as good as they think they are.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:47 pm Attending the game, I felt midway from the 3rd quarter to the end of the game amounted to coaching malpractice. Crawley started off the game with a second midfield of Collinson, English and H. Chauvette. That second midfield accounted for 4 of Jays first 7 goals. Yet that combination disappeared as the offense went flat after going up 11-7. H. Chauvette only took one more shot after going 3-3. As fans, we all expected the Jays to put Denver away. But Crawley became too clever by half by running all sorts of new combinations of midfields. Instead of attacking, the offense languished with shot clock violations.

The defensive coaching malpractice was not shutting off Sillstrop, Denver’s only consistent outside threat. Everybody in the stadium, except Coach K and his defense, knew Sillstrop was going to take the last shot with two seconds remaining. It was pass and shoot. Yet the defense ignored the obvious play.

How did the defense that went three quarters without committing a penalty suddenly melt down with three penalties in the last eight minutes, each one more egregious than the one before? For Smith, who otherwise had a good game, to get TWO UNRELEASABLES in the last 3 minutes was a personal meltdown.

Denver, for much of the game, couldn’t be bothered to back up shots. Yet Hopkins handed them the game by coaching complacency and inattention.

I thought before the game that the Jays may have read too many of their lofty predictions. The meltdown may show them that they are not as good as they think they are.
Completely agree with all of this.

It’s early February and just the first game. It’s a meltdown that is easy to excuse on that basis.

But this is a veteran team led by a Head Coach starting his fourth season.

The loss was embarrassing, but more so because it came on Homewood Field. Does Homewood Field even mean anything anymore?

Let’s see how the coaches and players respond to this loss. The season is just starting, but the tenor of the entire season will depend on how the Blue Jays play their next few contests.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”