Lacrosse Analytics

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jimmywork

Re: Lacrosse Analytics

Post by jimmywork »

Your model has Penn v Army and UVA v RMU both as coin flips. We'll see how those play out, but it sure seems like your ELO model needs some work.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

I wanted to put all the game preview links in one place for easy access. One day away. Happy Friday...

Saturday Games:
Loyola vs Syracuse
Yale vs Georgetown
Penn vs Army
Virginia vs Robert Morris

Sunday Games:
Penn State vs UMBC
Towson vs Maryland
Duke vs Richmond
Notre Dame vs Johns Hopkins
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just curious if only the Hobart-Robert Morris final has been flipped would Hobart have moved up to 20 and would that have made enough difference for Cornell?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

And we are live with the win probabilities for the first game of the day, Loyola vs Syracuse. Enjoy
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:19 pm Just curious if only the Hobart-Robert Morris final has been flipped would Hobart have moved up to 20 and would that have made enough difference for Cornell?
No and no.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Updated list of Live Win Probability Links

- Yale vs Georgetown
- Loyola vs Syracuse
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

- Penn vs Army
- Yale vs Georgetown
- Loyola vs Syracuse
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

laxreference wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:40 pm Updated list of Live Win Probability Links

- Yale vs Georgetown
- Loyola vs Syracuse
The parts of the Georgetown/Yale game where the curve is downward at a steady rate, are you missing data there?
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

- Virginia vs Robert Morris
- Penn vs Army
- Yale vs Georgetown
- Loyola vs Syracuse
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:29 pm
laxreference wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:40 pm Updated list of Live Win Probability Links

- Yale vs Georgetown
- Loyola vs Syracuse
The parts of the Georgetown/Yale game where the curve is downward at a steady rate, are you missing data there?
No, not missing data. There are two parts to the estimate of win probability. Part of the calculation is the current time/score and what percentage of the time that the winning team holds on given those inputs.

The second part is the pre-game win probability, which steadily loses importance as the game goes on. It starts as 100% of the estimate and ends at zero of course.

During the flat line, the lead for Yale was large enough that the first part of the calculation essentially gave Georgetown a 0% chance to win. But since the pre-game estimates steadily degrade over time, that part of the estimate was moving slowly downward.

Put it another way, the volatility in the charts comes from the on-field plays as well as the time/score. Since there was no volatility on that piece, the chart itself ends up looking pretty boring.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

As always, here is the daily digest for May 11, 2019.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

The live win probability engine is up and running for Penn State vs UMBC.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

- Towson vs Maryland
- Penn State vs UMBC
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

- Notre Dame vs Johns Hopkins
- Duke vs Richmond
- Towson vs Maryland
- Penn State vs UMBC
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

As always, here is the daily digest for May 12, 2019.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Here is the weekly list of the top 20 individual statistical performances of the opening round of the tournament.

Bucaro and Ierlan had quite the duel in their game. Granted, they didn't truly go against each other, but I think the fact that they took the top two spots says a lot about how that game went. The stats don't always isolate the factors that gave a specific game its character, but in this one, I think EGA did a pretty good job.

PlayerGame_visualization(20190513).png
PlayerGame_visualization(20190513).png (54.49 KiB) Viewed 4135 times
WildPride

Post by WildPride »

I think the face off rules need to be reevaluated when 5 of the top 8 performers are FOGOS.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

- Virginia vs Maryland
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

- Duke vs Notre Dame
- Virginia vs Maryland
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

- Penn vs Yale

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”