Post by FMUBart »

Ketch wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:46 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:21 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:14 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:53 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:25 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:16 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:08 pm
man:down wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:11 am Nice to see some chatter again! I think we will see Herlihy running middie again after a tough injury-filled time at attack last year. Greene too - that seems to be his happier place. They seem to also like Delano and Rosa running out of the box a bit. The take-away may be constantly mixing this up which would mean a variety of combinations at attack (Barthelme and Ward play really well together for example) and more (confusing) looks in the midfield. On D, Duby has been part of man-down forever and he is exceptionally fast so I'd like to see him get lots of close D time. And I agree on Turner too - not only is he good, but he's mean and he goes to the goal as part of the face-off unit. Get him on the field!
Speaking of Rosa, heard you nearly had both this fall as Max apparently considered a transfer to play with his brother for his Sr year. Think he could have played a two way role if you needed it.
We’ve been trying.
Kid's as tough as nails, think he would likely be a starter at SSDM for you guys (though I admit I don't know your SSDM situation). His PT has been mostly as a back up at Cuse as his foot speed isn't quite there for top end middies but you can't doubt his grit and toughness. Good player, thought he might make the jump.
That’s been Alex largely as well who played in rotation but a lot of man up. Rides well does the small stuff. Same with former W Genny unheralded player Dattellas. Even if section 3 has tailed off I love the ethic of many of these kids who aren’t going to travel club ball etc.
Ya I saw some of Alex in HS, good player who I thought needed some time to acclimate to D1 but thought SU might offer. As you noted Sec 3 has tailed off producing upper D1 guys for sure but it has produced a good number of borderline guys or guys just below that threshold ie the Rosa's, Datellas as you noted, Madonna, Delano and number of other Westhill players etc. I thought Hobart did a real nice job of grabbing Sec 3 kids just under SU's radar and keeping them from other D1 programs in state.
I chalk that up to Brundage mostly. Maybe some Raymond.

Many have that one piece that’s missing to be in your regular zone. Delano is just a bit too small if tough. Dattellas is a great worker but think he needs to be respectfully. Hes been injured a lot but Chad Bach out of tiny Lowville is a ACC/Big Ten athlete. Just hasn’t been healthy for more than 8-9 games in a season in college. There’s been a few that drop from you like Tanner Wood who was a early commit out of staples that Cuse dropped (early recruiting big kids got the benefit of the doubt)

I was hooked get Will Hardy but while he’s in the portal now I understand he’s got Ivy caliber academic portfolio and Jax had given him a package that was unmatchable.
Too bad we didn’t get Will, who obviously has his smarts from mom, lol.
Hobart never took a sniff, even after the dad mentioned to Raymond that Hobart would be a good fit. Too bad
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:22 pm
Ketch wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:46 am
man:down wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:11 am Nice to see some chatter again! I think we will see Herlihy running middie again after a tough injury-filled time at attack last year. Greene too - that seems to be his happier place. They seem to also like Delano and Rosa running out of the box a bit. The take-away may be constantly mixing this up which would mean a variety of combinations at attack (Barthelme and Ward play really well together for example) and more (confusing) looks in the midfield. On D, Duby has been part of man-down forever and he is exceptionally fast so I'd like to see him get lots of close D time. And I agree on Turner too - not only is he good, but he's mean and he goes to the goal as part of the face-off unit. Get him on the field!
Speaking of Rosa, heard you nearly had both this fall as Max apparently considered a transfer to play with his brother for his Sr year. Think he could have played a two way role if you needed it.
We’ve been trying.
Kid's as tough as nails, think he would likely be a starter at SSDM for you guys (though I admit I don't know your SSDM situation). His PT has been mostly as a back up at Cuse as his foot speed isn't quite there for top end middies but you can't doubt his grit and toughness. Good player, thought he might make the jump.
That’s been Alex largely as well who played in rotation but a lot of man up. Rides well does the small stuff. Same with former W Genny unheralded player Dattellas. Even if section 3 has tailed off I love the ethic of many of these kids who aren’t going to travel club ball etc.
Ya I saw some of Alex in HS, good player who I thought needed some time to acclimate to D1 but thought SU might offer. As you noted Sec 3 has tailed off producing upper D1 guys for sure but it has produced a good number of borderline guys or guys just below that threshold ie the Rosa's, Datellas as you noted, Madonna, Delano and number of other Westhill players etc. I thought Hobart did a real nice job of grabbing Sec 3 kids just under SU's radar and keeping them from other D1 programs in state.

Many have that one piece that’s missing to be in your regular zone. Delano is just a bit too small if tough. Dattellas is a great worker but think he needs to be respectfully. Hes been injured a lot but Chad Bach out of tiny Lowville is a ACC/Big Ten athlete. Just hasn’t been healthy for more than 8-9 games in a season in college. There’s been a few that drop from you like Tanner Wood who was a early commit out of staples that Cuse dropped (early recruiting big kids got the benefit of the doubt)

I was hooked get Will Hardy but while he’s in the portal now I understand he’s got Ivy caliber academic portfolio and Jax had given him a package that was unmatchable.
Too bad we didn’t get Will, who obviously has his smarts from mom, lol.
Hobart never took a sniff, even after the dad mentioned to Raymond that Hobart would be a good fit. Too bad
Thats a shame. They don't seem receptive to inbound interest from many anecodtes I've heard.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Latest podcast. Raymond talks about letting the SSDM guys be more involved with the early offense.. Wilson starting goalie with the 2 FY pushing him. Not much to say about the D, which worries me. Nor does he commit to who the starters are except for Shea and Wilson. Vermont plays a lot of the box ball movement game. We haven't faired well against that. Look at the Cornell game from the past 2 seasons. It's only a scrimmage with 2 more after that. So, time to get a handle on things before it gets real.

Podcast:

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/side ... -pod69.mp3
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I'm with those who see great potential for Duby and Turner on close D. Duby is quick and has great skills, including footspeed. As a first year he made some great plays, but got lost in decisionmaking choices afterwards. The defensive system wasn't flexible enough for his opportunistic style. The criticism of him is that he isn't mean enough. Turner is a beast and I'd be sorry to see him leave LSM. But he'd lay it on the line at close D. With Kinslow in the mix, and Orlando and Firth as experienced guys, there is great potential. But can the coaches build a system that fits the talents these guys bring? Coach Fisher will have his work cut out, but I'm hopeful he'll benefit from the insights of coach Mueller. He was arguably the best D IQ on the team in the last 10 years. Plus, with Wilson's growing maturity, and two FY competing, it's looking up. So sorry we've never gotten Corbett out there ... injuries make it unlikely we'll see him.
Heard we have a 3rd generation Bennett from MD committed. There were high hopes at the start of last season, but this year looks better IF we settle defensively. Brundage must be in heaven with the options he has. I'm sure there will be many looks in the next two weeks. Anyone going to the scrimmage and reporting?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

BIG NEWS!!!

The head coaching job at Hobart is now an endowed position!

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2024/1/25 ... ition.aspx
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Does anyone know if they're letting the general public into tomorrow's scrimmage if there's space? Who to contact to find out?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Give a call to the lacrosse office or email coach Mueller. There is usually no general admission, but there is usually room for people to attend.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Ketch wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:05 am Does anyone know if they're letting the general public into tomorrow's scrimmage if there's space? Who to contact to find out?
I was told(by a Vermont parent) that no spectators were allowed..
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FMUBart wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:56 am
Ketch wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:05 am Does anyone know if they're letting the general public into tomorrow's scrimmage if there's space? Who to contact to find out?
Thanks! I was going to combine some lacrosse with watching the Hobart hockey team play Elmira, but I guess that's a no-go.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ketch wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:15 pm
Thanks! I was going to combine some lacrosse with watching the Hobart hockey team play Elmira, but I guess that's a no-go.
Heard it's limited availability even for parents.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

We’ve been trying.

Agreed, Hobart is in a tough spot recruiting wise as when your talking about 3 stars and below there is usally one element that missing or not as pronounced in a players game ie Size, strength, foot speed, stick skills etc. Wood's a good example former high end recruit where the skills didn't keep up with his early recruit rankings. Looked like he barely played for you guys to which is unfortunate.

From my outside of view I think Raymond has done a pretty good job recruiting wise, Hobart usually has a pretty good 1st line across the board and the offenses for the most part have been above average for the limitations Hobart has in recruiting with $ and conf affiliations. Like most non power teams obviously the main issues that I think hurt are lack of quality depth (Syracuse has had an issue with this as well) and Hobart usually seems to struggle in the middle of the field on O and D mid which I mentioned last year. I know a few times in some of the closer SU/Bart Matchups SU ended up coming out on top because they were able to go through the midfield and really attack Bart's short sticks and 3rd defender. Same defensively, a few years ago we played at Bart and the game was tied late 2nd quarter and Madonna was terrorizing a short stick. SU moved Brett Kennedy onto him and he didn't a have point the rest of the game. Its an area I know Albany has really struggled with the last few years under Marr as well.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:33 pm
I've walked in without tickets after the first 1/2 hour many times.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:54 pm
I'm sure a lot of us would appreciate you doing so tomorrow...
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:45 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:54 pm
I'm sure a lot of us would appreciate you doing so tomorrow...
I think that I may have gotten myself in. Thanks to all. Lacrosse, hockey, and then some good food. Should be a great day!
brodad

Post by brodad »

Hobart looked pretty good yesterday vs. UVM.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

brodad wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:17 am Hobart looked pretty good yesterday vs. UVM.
I think the final tally was 23-13. I think we handled them well. Our offense just kept running new people in who would score. UVM couldn’t really ever tell where or who was going to shoot
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Looking forward to reading some analysis. Wondering about starters, etc... Any FY talent out there?
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Bartfromboston wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:49 am
brodad wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:17 am Hobart looked pretty good yesterday vs. UVM.
I think the final tally was 23-13. I think we handled them well. Our offense just kept running new people in who would score. UVM couldn’t really ever tell where or who was going to shoot
That score sounds around right. I lost track when we got in the high teens. We were pretty much able to score at will…
Starting attack: Patterson, Barthelme and Dattellas (Ward first in after that)
First midfield: Delano, Herlihy and Considine (Bach not dressed)
Second midfield: Rosa, Peterkin, and Greene
Defense: Firth, Comella, and the FY Brooks Rhine (wasn‘t really paying attention to who came in after that)
Goal: Wilson, then Faiola, then Sotiropoulos
SSDMs: rotation of the four Dino, Gullace, Race, Wimer
LSMs: rotation of Turner, Duby, Cavo
Faceoff: just Shea and Schofield

I‘ll leave it to the analysts to analyze. What I saw was an excellent offensive team with a lot of balance and scoring coming from everywhere. No one person stood out to me. We had the ball often from the outset and jumped out to a 6-2 lead. The bad news is that when they had the ball, which eventually happened as we weren‘t at all dominant at the X, our defense wasn‘t exactly lockdown. The defense still needs a lot of work. Goal play not that great either. We‘re definitely going to be able to put up a lot of goals, but how many teams are we actually going to be able to outscore? Defense is going to be the key as to how far we will be able to go.

Caught the Statesmen hockey team as well in their 5-0 win over #3 Elmira. Quite a performance as we had gutted them 7-2 on Friday night as well. Too bad the team doesn‘t have a better facility than The Cooler. Kind of dumpy for a top-rated team.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Thanks for the info Ketch. Heard from another observer that while the offense was "decent", the D was not very organized. He called it "overall, sloppy". Wing play on faceoffs was non-existent...again!! Once Vermont remembered how to throw, catch and clear after Q1, the play was fairly even. It sounded like the goalie situation is still wide open. Wilson had "more than a few" 1 on 1 situations that UVM capitalized on. That doesn't sound like good D. He did say that a number of scores came off of caused turnovers at the midfield.

Preseason #10 Yale and Fairfield next. Yale has one of the top attacks this season. It will be a much tougher test for our D. Shea will need more help at the dot as well. Watch the films, practice hard and get better.
man:down

Post by man:down »

The in-game highlights (mostly offense / how Hobart scored) can be found on that hobartlaxfans twitter (X?) account - if you want to read about who scored. For first years, there was mention of a FY (Swisher?) getting in and scoring and #11, Patterson may be the best offensive player on the team. 2 FY goalies got in the game.

Handfull of 3-goal guys - Rosa, Ward, Patterson, Dattelas and Barthelme... Herlihy looked great too by the way. He seems very solid back at middie.

Hobart was relentless on ground balls in the first 2 quarters and the D was pretty well organized at first - but as was stated above, once Vermont started playing smarter, the D was less effective for sure.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”