Syracuse 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: Syracuse 2019

Post by stupefied »

nomofogo wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:49 pm I was at Ridley in 2015 with Albany. Gotta say is was the most unpleasant experience regarding "Stadium rules" I have ever experienced. I backed my car into a perimeter parking space and was almost arrested for not turning it around (my wife did). All cars have to face the same direction. You can drink a beer only if you stay in your own car, no drinking outside of it. As mentioned, only Pepsi products allowed when bringing post game products to the team. You are ushered to specific spots in the stadium as they don't want to mix rivals. Of course it all became tolerable with the Thompson's performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlf1xtIXesk&t=10.
In other words, take Uber, put Vodka in Pepsi cans , bring change of sportswear to switch seats and pay Thompson on the side to slip into into a Cuse uniform
molo

Post by molo »

I didn’t have the heart to mention the most nefarious act perpetrated by the managers of the RAC. Fortunately, it takes place after the game is over. I assume they do it to clear the stadium. I won’t say what it is, but about 20 years ago, the owner of a 7-11 in Catonsville was having problems with youths who were loitering outside his store. He eventually rid himself of the problem by playing the music of a certain ivon of my parents’ generation. The kids left.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

nomofogo wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:49 pm Of course it all became tolerable with the Thompson's performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlf1xtIXesk&t=10.
Those guys were pretty good :lol:
It aint over yet

Post by It aint over yet »

This game will come down as it did with Army on how Cuses close defense to contain Spencer ! I do not see Mellen as great as he is because by abke to disrupt his performance the way Surdick from Army did! Carc and others yammer on how strong Mellen is so the height difference won’t matter! Say what of course it will matter and Cuse will have to constantly double team and that’s extactjyvgow Loyola will put up its numbers early and often in this game. Desks should be ready to switch up defenders and have Fusco defend Spencer height strength r more equal , Army did hell of a job but besides AJ Berretto coming up huge it was Surdick who forced Loyola out of their game! When it comes to Spencer Mellen isn’t Surdick plain and simple
tech37

Post by tech37 »

It aint over yet wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:44 pm This game will come down as it did with Army on how Cuses close defense to contain Spencer ! I do not see Mellen as great as he is because by abke to disrupt his performance the way Surdick from Army did! Carc and others yammer on how strong Mellen is so the height difference won’t matter! Say what of course it will matter and Cuse will have to constantly double team and that’s extactjyvgow Loyola will put up its numbers early and often in this game. Desks should be ready to switch up defenders and have Fusco defend Spencer height strength r more equal , Army did hell of a job but besides AJ Berretto coming up huge it was Surdick who forced Loyola out of their game! When it comes to Spencer Mellen isn’t Surdick plain and simple
:D Maybe It Ain't Over. Mellen may have the best footwork/position D in D1. He's not big but he makes up for size with agility, speed, and stick work. If Spencer is healthy enough and decides to continuously dive at the goal, that could be a problem though.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Army played with tremendous energy that day and their goalie was on. Surdick is huge and difficult to shoot over or back down. As terrific on ball as Mellen is that wont be the case.. Expecting a higher scoring game (o/u 25) that is tight and entertaining. Two good teams, I give the winner a decent shot at beating PSU
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:16 am Army played with tremendous energy that day and their goalie was on. Surdick is huge and difficult to shoot over or back down. As terrific on ball as Mellen is that wont be the case.. Expecting a higher scoring game (o/u 25) that is tight and entertaining. Two good teams, I give the winner a decent shot at beating PSU

Stupified: I'm a Loyola guy and I agree about the follow-on game against (presumably) PSU. Cuse might have more of an edge against PSU than the Hounds, but both will make that a game and can surprise the PSU faithful. If Cuse beats Loyola tomorrow, I'll be cheering for Cuse the rest of the way. We're big Brendan Curry fans in Baltimore and want to see him do well.
a fan

Post by a fan »

What a great year. Pleasure to watch this squad.

My advice for next year: don't draw the 2nd leading scorer in D1 history in the first round.
molo

Post by molo »

If Spencer was hurt, he seems to have made a nice recovery.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Very tough loss for Syracuse. Basically came down to Stover and Spencer demanding to play next week.

Good season, Syracuse.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
tech37

Post by tech37 »

stupefied wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:16 am Army played with tremendous energy that day and their goalie was on. Surdick is huge and difficult to shoot over or back down. As terrific on ball as Mellen is that wont be the case.. Expecting a higher scoring game (o/u 25) that is tight and entertaining. Two good teams, I give the winner a decent shot at beating PSU
Good call on Spencer/Mellen
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Good year Cuse. For a while looked as if you'd get a shot at the Qtrs.
It aint over yet

Post by It aint over yet »

Great game In the 3rd Q when Cuse started losing faceoffs and Loyola started scoring consecutively u would expect Cuse coaching staff make changes on the X but far as I could tell they sat on their hands!!
DMac

Post by DMac »

tech37 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:18 pm
Yup, it was obvious that Spencer is just too big and strong for Mellen, so why don't you switch and put Bomberry on him?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:16 am
Yup, it was obvious that Spencer is just too big and strong for Mellen, so why don't you switch and put Bomberry on him?
I disagree regarding Mellen, he would have been fine had he thrown no checks. That is exactly what Duke and Towson did. Attackmen don't mind when you throw checks...why? because they know as soon as the stick touches them, it is leaving and the gate is now open.

During the games today, watch how many times the ball carrier, typically attackmen, will make their move towards the cage immediately following a check.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:25 am
I disagree regarding Mellen, he would have been fine had he thrown no checks. That is exactly what Duke and Towson did. Attackmen don't mind when you throw checks...why? because they know as soon as the stick touches them, it is leaving and the gate is now open.

During the games today, watch how many times the ball carrier, typically attackmen, will make their move towards the cage immediately following a check.
Yes....opening the gate. I used that terminology when I was coaching young defenders....
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I agree, to a point. The problem with telling your #1 defender that in effect he isn't up to the task is, you are messing dangerously with kids' pride. That all said, if you have seen Pat's play all year long, you will see that he tends to feast on smaller defenders no matter how good they are, whereas he has a harder time with the bigger defenders.

BTW, reading Twitter post game, the 'Fire Desko' chants were in full swing which I find so silly. No coach imo has his team better prepared than Desko day in and day out.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Might be worth a look but Spencer too fast for Bomberry IMO.

Spencer and who covered him isn't the issue re this game in my mind...what happened in the middle of the field after third qtr, including FOs and wing play which Cuse had been dominating?
DMac

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:25 am

Disagree, Spencer muscled his way through Mellen which is why I would've put Bomberry on him instead (this is not in hindsight, said it in the 1st qtr during the game).
Completely understand what you're saying about checks not much bothering attackmen but this was much more about the size and strength advandate Spencer had over Mellen, IMO.

Agree, tech, that would be the next problem, could Bomberry keep up with him. I would have put Bomberry on him to bang him around a bit to see if that could slow him down. Now you've got Mellen to do what he does against someone who isn't so much bigger and stronger.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:37 am
Might be worth a look but Spencer too fast for Bomberry IMO.

Spencer and who covered him isn't the issue re this game in my mind...what happened in the middle of the field after third qtr, including FOs and wing play which Cuse had been dominating?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”