Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by Laxgunea »

Big question is the close D. Some of my doubts have to do with coaching. I thought we had tremendous talent on D the last two years, but couldn't get it to gel. Firth is top notch, but not clear on who else plays. Vince Orlando as a grad student is a godsend.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:11 pm Big question is the close D. Some of my doubts have to do with coaching. I thought we had tremendous talent on D the last two years, but couldn't get it to gel. Firth is top notch, but not clear on who else plays. Vince Orlando as a grad student is a godsend.
Agreed around most or all of this. But I also think having not really SSDM units prepared for a number of years put a ton of pressure on the close D so if I’m right that this group will be stronger than historical for us that should help a lot I would think.

I have no inside information just a hunch but feel like it could be Firth, Comelia & Kinslow. Could be a great unit but ton of risk and unknown/inexperience in that group. My understanding is Galiani is out for the year. Assuming Duby will play a fair bit of close D though he’s an LSM. The rest of the unit has limited experience (Porter Johnson, Michael Bennett, Liam Rubnigh, Adam Fransiak, Will Corbett then FR Kinslow, Wiest and Rhine).

I’m also of the belief we will see a strong season out of Wilson this year and that he progresses such that by season end there won’t be any doubt. (Unless a FR this class or next year can elevate to a level at or above Max S, Jackson B, Freddie P)
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Matt Turner could well be the #2 D man imho. Last year was D coach Fisher's first season with the team. Hopefully he has a better handle on personnel and schemes. As LG commented, some of the coaching decisions, or lack thereof, didn't result in effective play.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:37 pm Though we all know they run six at a time often rather than 3A/3M but as a baseline to start here is the roster listed positions for the kids:

Attack: (while we have other talent at mid of course you could fill a six off this list and feel pretty good given it includes the top 3 returning scorers plus Rosas 21pts, Wards double digits and 60% shooting, Herlihy who’s a star bogged down by knee injuries and Wharton incoming FR in Patterson)

Evnin
Delano
Snellenburg
DiTomasso
Herlihy
Patterson
Still well
Rosa
Ward
Begina
Dattellas
Barthelme

Defense (Close):

Comelia
Bennett
Rhine
galiani (out for year?)
Wiest
johnson
rubingh
Corbett
Kinslow
Fransiak
Firth

Hard to see this group now beyond Firth. I suspect Kisnlow will play a lot early and not sure who else steps up with a lot of less experienced or younger kids.

FO: Shea, Schofield, Valent - good group of healthy

G: Wilson, LS, Fox, Faoila, Daly-depth here but who starts?

LSM: NS, Turner, Cavo, Keweley, Orlando, Duby

midfield:

Bach
Greene
Cardinali
Brown
Peterkin
Campbell
Plunkett
Swisher
Considine
Delaney

SSDM:

Dino
Race
Belle-Walker
Gullace
Ballo
Stephen’s
Schleicher
Anderson
Wimer

I’m as optimistic on SSDM as I’ve been since we had Matt Smalley. I think the talent and athleticism of Dino? race, Belle Walker, schleicher & Wimer (not to disregard the others) fan stand up to physical athletic and large offenses as well as any we’ve had under Raymond.

If you go strictly by position listing, the midfield lines would be

Bach, Greene, Considine. Not the mix we have discussed here but I kind of like it when I envision it working properly. Second line probably would be Delaney, Peterkin and Swisher is my best guess if strictly going by these listings.

I’m concerned once again about close D but have some faith in Firth and have this irrational feeling Kinslow may be a star for us. Comelia is strong but small and injured part of last year. Galiani is out supposedly. Then there’s next to no game experience beyond that.

LSM feels a little unknown but I like Duby and Turner as top two. Orlando is very solid as a fifth year. Should be ok.

Goalie: I like Wilson and these two FR are good. LK can least play at this level so overall in solid shape with health. Feels like we got off track back when we lost Drennan to concussion and then bland to the pros a few years back and never recovered.

SSDM: I’m excited for this group this year. If close D figures it out I think the A10 should not look past us at all. Wimer, Dino and Race will be very good and now have experience. Belle Walker is a terrific athlete on the U18 team and Schleicher played in a competitive NJ area on a strong team.

Attack: depth looks awesome. Just have to optimize units and pairings. But I don’t think even an above average lacrosse fan with knowledge has any does the potential of this crowd. And that’s without Liam Matthews who will run second line mid at PSU this year as a FR. With health, a group that includes Herlihy, Dattellas, Barthelme, Delano, Rosa, Ward, plus some incredibly talented FR and Sophs w Patterson being perhaps the most talented offensive player to arrive since Archer is as deep as any offense since some of this 2000a Kerwick teams. Deeper than 19-21. Not sure any step up to the Aslanian, Holden, Archer level but we’ve got potential for 6 40+ pt scorers in this group.

There’s 3-4 kids who could be starting on 30 rosters (or more) that won’t be on this offense.

A prediction based on watching some of these kids in high school and the fall scrimmages (what I heard) plus inside early read from practices. Patterson is going to be A10 all freshman team. Stillwell will be in the man up rotation and get decent field time, Envin will run out of box but also get in mix on offense. This is the future attack line in a year or two. I wouldnt be surprised if 2 out of the three are starting by year end. Envin battling some injury is the one wildcard. If we can rely on some of these younger kids, our midfield first two lines will be outstanding. Bach Considine, Herlihy, Delano, Rosa. And that isn’t mentioning Dattellas, Ward, Greene — Might be one of the deepest offensives we have had in a while
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

You guys will be very happy with Stillwell...great field sense and tough as nails....a year or two in weight room and he will be exactly what you guys need at attack
man:down

Post by man:down »

Nice to see some chatter again! I think we will see Herlihy running middie again after a tough injury-filled time at attack last year. Greene too - that seems to be his happier place. They seem to also like Delano and Rosa running out of the box a bit. The take-away may be constantly mixing this up which would mean a variety of combinations at attack (Barthelme and Ward play really well together for example) and more (confusing) looks in the midfield. On D, Duby has been part of man-down forever and he is exceptionally fast so I'd like to see him get lots of close D time. And I agree on Turner too - not only is he good, but he's mean and he goes to the goal as part of the face-off unit. Get him on the field!
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

NNELax wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:31 am You guys will be very happy with Stillwell...great field sense and tough as nails....a year or two in weight room and he will be exactly what you guys need at attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c_T_0o53-Q

https://youtu.be/2c_T_0o53-Q

The kid looks like he can really rip it without a big wind up
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Thanks for posting; at first blush he(Stillwell) plays like a box-type/Canadian...reminds me of Teater(Jeff Teat). Let's hope
he fills it up for us! As LG stated, the concern is on the D end and playing with more cohesiveness. I thought
I was watching a HS team(will no second slide) several times last season. Assuming they can tighten that up, they
should be able to put up enough goals to be in every game...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bartfromboston wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:38 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:37 pm Though we all know they run six at a time often rather than 3A/3M but as a baseline to start here is the roster listed positions for the kids:

Attack: (while we have other talent at mid of course you could fill a six off this list and feel pretty good given it includes the top 3 returning scorers plus Rosas 21pts, Wards double digits and 60% shooting, Herlihy who’s a star bogged down by knee injuries and Wharton incoming FR in Patterson)

Evnin
Delano
Snellenburg
DiTomasso
Herlihy
Patterson
Still well
Rosa
Ward
Begina
Dattellas
Barthelme

Defense (Close):

Comelia
Bennett
Rhine
galiani (out for year?)
Wiest
johnson
rubingh
Corbett
Kinslow
Fransiak
Firth

Hard to see this group now beyond Firth. I suspect Kisnlow will play a lot early and not sure who else steps up with a lot of less experienced or younger kids.

FO: Shea, Schofield, Valent - good group of healthy

G: Wilson, LS, Fox, Faoila, Daly-depth here but who starts?

LSM: NS, Turner, Cavo, Keweley, Orlando, Duby

midfield:

Bach
Greene
Cardinali
Brown
Peterkin
Campbell
Plunkett
Swisher
Considine
Delaney

SSDM:

Dino
Race
Belle-Walker
Gullace
Ballo
Stephen’s
Schleicher
Anderson
Wimer

I’m as optimistic on SSDM as I’ve been since we had Matt Smalley. I think the talent and athleticism of Dino? race, Belle Walker, schleicher & Wimer (not to disregard the others) fan stand up to physical athletic and large offenses as well as any we’ve had under Raymond.

If you go strictly by position listing, the midfield lines would be

Bach, Greene, Considine. Not the mix we have discussed here but I kind of like it when I envision it working properly. Second line probably would be Delaney, Peterkin and Swisher is my best guess if strictly going by these listings.

I’m concerned once again about close D but have some faith in Firth and have this irrational feeling Kinslow may be a star for us. Comelia is strong but small and injured part of last year. Galiani is out supposedly. Then there’s next to no game experience beyond that.

LSM feels a little unknown but I like Duby and Turner as top two. Orlando is very solid as a fifth year. Should be ok.

Goalie: I like Wilson and these two FR are good. LK can least play at this level so overall in solid shape with health. Feels like we got off track back when we lost Drennan to concussion and then bland to the pros a few years back and never recovered.

SSDM: I’m excited for this group this year. If close D figures it out I think the A10 should not look past us at all. Wimer, Dino and Race will be very good and now have experience. Belle Walker is a terrific athlete on the U18 team and Schleicher played in a competitive NJ area on a strong team.

Attack: depth looks awesome. Just have to optimize units and pairings. But I don’t think even an above average lacrosse fan with knowledge has any does the potential of this crowd. And that’s without Liam Matthews who will run second line mid at PSU this year as a FR. With health, a group that includes Herlihy, Dattellas, Barthelme, Delano, Rosa, Ward, plus some incredibly talented FR and Sophs w Patterson being perhaps the most talented offensive player to arrive since Archer is as deep as any offense since some of this 2000a Kerwick teams. Deeper than 19-21. Not sure any step up to the Aslanian, Holden, Archer level but we’ve got potential for 6 40+ pt scorers in this group.

There’s 3-4 kids who could be starting on 30 rosters (or more) that won’t be on this offense.

A prediction based on watching some of these kids in high school and the fall scrimmages (what I heard) plus inside early read from practices. Patterson is going to be A10 all freshman team. Stillwell will be in the man up rotation and get decent field time, Envin will run out of box but also get in mix on offense. This is the future attack line in a year or two. I wouldnt be surprised if 2 out of the three are starting by year end. Envin battling some injury is the one wildcard. If we can rely on some of these younger kids, our midfield first two lines will be outstanding. Bach Considine, Herlihy, Delano, Rosa. And that isn’t mentioning Dattellas, Ward, Greene — Might be one of the deepest offensives we have had in a while
Can’t see more than one starting with what’s returning, Patterson specifically, but all good to hear positive things. I don’t think anyone is worried about the offense but are we going to give up big late leads like we did in 2019 with an explosive offense (two either BTB games or with one to like MSM in between which also gave away a big lead in a win IIRC - lost NEC to RoMo giving up leads but scored 15+ just above every game.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

man:down wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:11 am Nice to see some chatter again! I think we will see Herlihy running middie again after a tough injury-filled time at attack last year. Greene too - that seems to be his happier place. They seem to also like Delano and Rosa running out of the box a bit. The take-away may be constantly mixing this up which would mean a variety of combinations at attack (Barthelme and Ward play really well together for example) and more (confusing) looks in the midfield. On D, Duby has been part of man-down forever and he is exceptionally fast so I'd like to see him get lots of close D time. And I agree on Turner too - not only is he good, but he's mean and he goes to the goal as part of the face-off unit. Get him on the field!
I expect Duby to play more close D but figure Turner will play with so much they’ll have him at LSM more.

Can’t wait to see an attack of Barthelme (6’7”), Ward (6’5”) and then 5’6” Delano or 5’7” Patterson with them.
See Martin, Malcolm
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

man:down wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:11 am Nice to see some chatter again! I think we will see Herlihy running middie again after a tough injury-filled time at attack last year. Greene too - that seems to be his happier place. They seem to also like Delano and Rosa running out of the box a bit. The take-away may be constantly mixing this up which would mean a variety of combinations at attack (Barthelme and Ward play really well together for example) and more (confusing) looks in the midfield. On D, Duby has been part of man-down forever and he is exceptionally fast so I'd like to see him get lots of close D time. And I agree on Turner too - not only is he good, but he's mean and he goes to the goal as part of the face-off unit. Get him on the field!
Speaking of Rosa, heard you nearly had both this fall as Max apparently considered a transfer to play with his brother for his Sr year. Think he could have played a two way role if you needed it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:08 pm
Speaking of Rosa, heard you nearly had both this fall as Max apparently considered a transfer to play with his brother for his Sr year. Think he could have played a two way role if you needed it.
We’ve been trying.
See Martin, Malcolm
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:16 pm
We’ve been trying.
Kid's as tough as nails, think he would likely be a starter at SSDM for you guys (though I admit I don't know your SSDM situation). His PT has been mostly as a back up at Cuse as his foot speed isn't quite there for top end middies but you can't doubt his grit and toughness. Good player, thought he might make the jump.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:25 pm
We’ve been trying.
Kid's as tough as nails, think he would likely be a starter at SSDM for you guys (though I admit I don't know your SSDM situation). His PT has been mostly as a back up at Cuse as his foot speed isn't quite there for top end middies but you can't doubt his grit and toughness. Good player, thought he might make the jump.
That’s been Alex largely as well who played in rotation but a lot of man up. Rides well does the small stuff. Same with former W Genny unheralded player Dattellas. Even if section 3 has tailed off I love the ethic of many of these kids who aren’t going to travel club ball etc.
See Martin, Malcolm
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:53 pm
We’ve been trying.
That’s been Alex largely as well who played in rotation but a lot of man up. Rides well does the small stuff. Same with former W Genny unheralded player Dattellas. Even if section 3 has tailed off I love the ethic of many of these kids who aren’t going to travel club ball etc.
Ya I saw some of Alex in HS, good player who I thought needed some time to acclimate to D1 but thought SU might offer. As you noted Sec 3 has tailed off producing upper D1 guys for sure but it has produced a good number of borderline guys or guys just below that threshold ie the Rosa's, Datellas as you noted, Madonna, Delano and number of other Westhill players etc. I thought Hobart did a real nice job of grabbing Sec 3 kids just under SU's radar and keeping them from other D1 programs in state.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:14 pm
We’ve been trying.
Ya I saw some of Alex in HS, good player who I thought needed some time to acclimate to D1 but thought SU might offer. As you noted Sec 3 has tailed off producing upper D1 guys for sure but it has produced a good number of borderline guys or guys just below that threshold ie the Rosa's, Datellas as you noted, Madonna, Delano and number of other Westhill players etc. I thought Hobart did a real nice job of grabbing Sec 3 kids just under SU's radar and keeping them from other D1 programs in state.
I chalk that up to Brundage mostly. Maybe some Raymond.

Many have that one piece that’s missing to be in your regular zone. Delano is just a bit too small if tough. Dattellas is a great worker but think he needs to be respectfully. Hes been injured a lot but Chad Bach out of tiny Lowville is a ACC/Big Ten athlete. Just hasn’t been healthy for more than 8-9 games in a season in college. There’s been a few that drop from you like Tanner Wood who was a early commit out of staples that Cuse dropped (early recruiting big kids got the benefit of the doubt)

I was hooked get Will Hardy but while he’s in the portal now I understand he’s got Ivy caliber academic portfolio and Jax had given him a package that was unmatchable.
See Martin, Malcolm
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:21 pm
We’ve been trying.

Many have that one piece that’s missing to be in your regular zone. Delano is just a bit too small if tough. Dattellas is a great worker but think he needs to be respectfully. Hes been injured a lot but Chad Bach out of tiny Lowville is a ACC/Big Ten athlete. Just hasn’t been healthy for more than 8-9 games in a season in college. There’s been a few that drop from you like Tanner Wood who was a early commit out of staples that Cuse dropped (early recruiting big kids got the benefit of the doubt)

I was hooked get Will Hardy but while he’s in the portal now I understand he’s got Ivy caliber academic portfolio and Jax had given him a package that was unmatchable.
Too bad we didn’t get Will, who obviously has his smarts from mom, lol.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:46 am
We’ve been trying.

Good one. I'm told he went to Albany so the caoches can make sure he knows what he missed when we play them this year.

Looks liek Chris Patterson is sort of a legacy with a sibling at HWS and an uncle who went as well. Holden was like that too. We don't seem to get the kids of alums but we get more nephews somehow. Maybe that makes sense. I could see 80s grads being the cool uncles, their siblings who are the parents are like "if you only knew what he got into in college..." but the nephew is like "man uncle Rick is cool"
See Martin, Malcolm
WoodStick

Post by WoodStick »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:15 am
Ketch wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:46 am
We’ve been trying.
[
/quote]

Good one. I'm told he went to Albany so the caoches can make sure he knows what he missed when we play them this year.

Looks liek Chris Patterson is sort of a legacy with a sibling at HWS and an uncle who went as well. Holden was like that too. We don't seem to get the kids of alums but we get more nephews somehow. Maybe that makes sense. I could see 80s grads being the cool uncles, their siblings who are the parents are like "if you only knew what he got into in college..." but the nephew is like "man uncle Rick is cool"
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Was never in the cards..rumor mill working overtime.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”