Northwestern "Hard Times"

D1 Womens Lacrosse
cltlax

Re: Northwestern "Hard Times"

Post by cltlax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:07 am
cltlax wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:47 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:53 pm
(Oh, and folks--you are free to copy and paste these recipes anywhere you like. I won't mind. But these rabbit trail conversations happen sometimes on these boards. So please don't try to be the topic police on us, huh? Our talk of Italian spaghetti sauce in no way prevents you from posting about the Northwestern documentary. If you want the topic back on topic--then post about the topic. Capische?)
Way to take my positive comment about these recipes and accuse me of being a topic police. It's no wonder folks find you annoying.
Excuse me--where did I accuse you, personally, of being a topic cop? And I'm supposed to recognize a positive comment from someone who has said critical things about me and to me multiple times in the past? One just the other day, in fact. And here you are--making another snotty comment, and bringing unnamed others into it, to boot. And you wonder at my misinterpretation? Also--I didn't tag/quote you, or anyone else for that matter, when I made my previous public service type comment yesterday, as it isn't the first time folks on these boards have voiced their disapproval about a topic wandering off into the woods (or an Italian kitchen, in this case). I addressed it to "folks". You could have passed right on by if your ultimate intention was to build some goodwill between us. But no, another tag/quote for the purpose of taking a shot at me, and in the process, you tore down what little headway you made with your affirmative response about the High Point production team.
Riiight. Since anyone other than me suggested another thread for the recipes. Folks...
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

ultravisitor wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:24 am
spidey44 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:16 am
ultravisitor wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:10 am
Okay, but you're still casting aspersions on the young women who make up the Northwestern lacrosse team when you characterize them as being some sort of negative "type"--and there can be no doubt based on your words that you have negative feelings about whatever "type" of athlete you concluded that they were based on comments they were making while goofing off between drills.

Furthermore, what evidence do you have of parents not getting a ROI for sending their kids to Northwestern?

You're arriving at a bunch of unfair, unwarranted conclusions about the program and the women who are a part of it because of your own perceptions about their behavior and seemingly without giving consideration to the context and circumstances of the video. Would it be fair if people drew the same kinds of conclusions about your daughter, her teammates, and her coaches based on a few seconds of her unscripted behavior while her guard was down and she was goofing off with her teammates?
Definitely agree some are looking WAY too deep into some off the cuff comments. Take for example the girl who was screaming and then looks back and says "DONT USE THAT!!!!" They're still kids and having fun with some of their best friends. I'm sure these girls work plenty hard in the classroom along with the field, weight room, etc etc....
And, at the end of the day, after all that goofing off and not constantly being on guard to make sure they're saying the right things to impress all the mommies and daddies out there who are waiting to pounce and judge them, each one of those girls will walk away having had tons of fun and with a degree from Northwestern University.
This is a lot of heat in response to one commenters (I think laxdadmad) observation that his daughters didn’t like the vibe from the part of the video regarding career plans.

None of the coaches, the team or any of the girls in the video need any defense of their program or their attitude. They can do whatever they want and northwestern seems to have no problem recruiting great players to what is a great school.

But it’s perfectly legit in my opinion for a poster to remark that a portion of this promotional video didn’t land right with their daughters…..

And it’s also fine in my opinion to point out that northwestern’s lax program has a more “lax first” reputation than other top 10 academic schools….which shows on their on field results AND also likely in the priorities of much of the members of the team….
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:56 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:24 am
spidey44 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:16 am
ultravisitor wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:10 am
Okay, but you're still casting aspersions on the young women who make up the Northwestern lacrosse team when you characterize them as being some sort of negative "type"--and there can be no doubt based on your words that you have negative feelings about whatever "type" of athlete you concluded that they were based on comments they were making while goofing off between drills.

Furthermore, what evidence do you have of parents not getting a ROI for sending their kids to Northwestern?

You're arriving at a bunch of unfair, unwarranted conclusions about the program and the women who are a part of it because of your own perceptions about their behavior and seemingly without giving consideration to the context and circumstances of the video. Would it be fair if people drew the same kinds of conclusions about your daughter, her teammates, and her coaches based on a few seconds of her unscripted behavior while her guard was down and she was goofing off with her teammates?
Definitely agree some are looking WAY too deep into some off the cuff comments. Take for example the girl who was screaming and then looks back and says "DONT USE THAT!!!!" They're still kids and having fun with some of their best friends. I'm sure these girls work plenty hard in the classroom along with the field, weight room, etc etc....
And, at the end of the day, after all that goofing off and not constantly being on guard to make sure they're saying the right things to impress all the mommies and daddies out there who are waiting to pounce and judge them, each one of those girls will walk away having had tons of fun and with a degree from Northwestern University.
This is a lot of heat in response to one commenters (I think laxdadmad) observation that his daughters didn’t like the vibe from the part of the video regarding career plans.

None of the coaches, the team or any of the girls in the video need any defense of their program or their attitude. They can do whatever they want and northwestern seems to have no problem recruiting great players to what is a great school.

But it’s perfectly legit in my opinion for a poster to remark that a portion of this promotional video didn’t land right with their daughters…..

And it’s also fine in my opinion to point out that northwestern’s lax program has a more “lax first” reputation than other top 10 academic schools….which shows on their on field results AND also likely in the priorities of much of the members of the team….
I don't disagree with what you say. However, his comments weren't simply about how his daughters felt watching it. He went to far as to conclude the players on the team were a "type" based on snippets of the video in which they were clearly goofing off.

All I was doing by weighing in about that part of the video was trying to remind people of context to ease their judgments. Does the team need my defending them? No. But here's what people should remember: none of the teams need to be defended that way. This time the team under question is Northwestern. The next time it could very easily be another team, another daughter or sister or friend who is goofing off in a harmless way in a video, which could cause people to say that team or school is a certain "type".

If people don't want to step back and give the NU players a bit more grace and understanding, then they don't have to. But in the future, if the team video under discussion is your favorite's--your sister's or daughter's or friend's--then what kind of grace and understanding do you think would be fair for others to demonstrate to them? Will it be okay for people to conclude they are some sort of negative "type"?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I imagine it's not as easy to pick a career for college students in this day and age, with all the upheaval we've seen in the United States, not to mention the world, over the past few years. We hear stories of crushing student loan debt, radical changes in society and government. Lot of uncertainty in the world. I give a lot of grace to these young women.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

It's a recruiting video ... it will resonate with some and not with others. All good.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

cltlax wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:46 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:07 am
cltlax wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:47 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:53 pm
(Oh, and folks--you are free to copy and paste these recipes anywhere you like. I won't mind. But these rabbit trail conversations happen sometimes on these boards. So please don't try to be the topic police on us, huh? Our talk of Italian spaghetti sauce in no way prevents you from posting about the Northwestern documentary. If you want the topic back on topic--then post about the topic. Capische?)
Way to take my positive comment about these recipes and accuse me of being a topic police. It's no wonder folks find you annoying.
Excuse me--where did I accuse you, personally, of being a topic cop? And I'm supposed to recognize a positive comment from someone who has said critical things about me and to me multiple times in the past? One just the other day, in fact. And here you are--making another snotty comment, and bringing unnamed others into it, to boot. And you wonder at my misinterpretation? Also--I didn't tag/quote you, or anyone else for that matter, when I made my previous public service type comment yesterday, as it isn't the first time folks on these boards have voiced their disapproval about a topic wandering off into the woods (or an Italian kitchen, in this case). I addressed it to "folks". You could have passed right on by if your ultimate intention was to build some goodwill between us. But no, another tag/quote for the purpose of taking a shot at me, and in the process, you tore down what little headway you made with your affirmative response about the High Point production team.
Riiight. Since anyone other than me suggested another thread for the recipes. Folks...
Riiight. Since no one else weighed in under your comment and quoted/tagged you? Folks...
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

well..i think this doc didn't land as well as NU thought it would. Lots of good stuff there but also somethings that show you why the school may not be for everyone.

i think laxdad's comments made alot of sense because it also fits NU's overall profile as a program and why, despite the recent success, they've struggled in recruiting. it's no secret that NU has trouble recruiting top talent. You can say that KAH pursues certain types of players and loves to develop them, that is true. But it's also true and well publicized that she still goes after top talent and they just reject going to NU

I've always tried to figure out what it was that was turning off some of these players to the idea of attending NU. I think alot of these top recruits look at the program similar to laxdad's daughters reactions to the doc. Nothing about NU as a school is inherently bad. It's a great school, with top marks across the board from facilities, athletics, and education. So it may very well be culture related.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

well..i think this doc didn't land as well as NU thought it would. Lots of good stuff there but also somethings that show you why the school may not be for everyone.

i think laxdad's comments made alot of sense because it also fits NU's overall profile as a program and why, despite the recent success, they've struggled in recruiting. it's no secret that NU has trouble recruiting top talent. You can say that KAH pursues certain types of players and loves to develop them, that is true. But it's also true and well publicized that she still goes after top talent and they just reject going to NU

I've always tried to figure out what it was that was turning off some of these players to the idea of attending NU. I think alot of these top recruits look at the program similar to laxdad's daughters reactions to the doc. Nothing about NU as a school is inherently bad. It's a great school, with top marks across the board from facilities, athletics, and education. Yet something there pushes them away.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

I actually didn't like the documentary at all. I thought that it tried to cover so much that it ended up not being particularly insightful about anything.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:00 am well..i think this doc didn't land as well as NU thought it would. Lots of good stuff there but also somethings that show you why the school may not be for everyone.

I've always tried to figure out what it was that was turning off some of these players to the idea of attending NU. I think alot of these top recruits look at the program similar to laxdad's daughters reactions to the doc. Nothing about NU as a school is inherently bad. It's a great school, with top marks across the board from facilities, athletics, and education. So it may very well be culture related.
Very good point about the recruiting. We always hear how she develops talent, but yes, she 100% goes after top talent and they turn her down.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

My wife and I actually really enjoyed it. Guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder, because I thought this was a nice "recruiting" pitch. Anyway, if nothing else, some fresh lax content as the days drag by to opening day!
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:22 am
Riiight. Since no one else weighed in under your comment and quoted/tagged you? Folks...
stop
DMac

Post by DMac »

What a load of nit picking elitist crap this thread is, a classic example of what a cesspool social media is and why these student athletes should stay from it. A dad who appears to have some sort of bone to pick with Northwestern and its way of operating, and a couple of daughters (who don't cuss) who have to find something negative/derogatory to say. I crossed those kind of people off my list many decades ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi84maqHgxg
Now the top talent is turning KAH down.
Those second rate student athletes who wander around aimlessly not knowing what they want to do with the rest of their lives seem to be doing mighty fine to me. Just imagine what a powerhouse Northwestern would be if KAH could get top talent to go there.
What program is ranked number one in the pre season polls?
What team won the title last year?
What team came within a gnat's asz of winning it the year before?
Any chance this half-aszed program will win back to back titles?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:59 pm What a load of nit picking elitist crap this thread is, a classic example of what a cesspool social media is and why these student athletes should stay from it. A dad who appears to have some sort of bone to pick with Northwestern and its way of operating, and a couple of daughters (who don't cuss) who have to find something negative/derogatory to say. I crossed those kind of people off my list many decades ago.
Those second rate student athletes who wander around aimlessly not knowing what they want to do with the rest of their lives seem to be doing mighty fine to me. Just imagine what a powerhouse Northwestern would be if KAH could get top talent to go there.
Yeah, while i was surprised by the answers on that question at a school like NU, I don't put much stock in it.

And to say KAH doesn't attract top talent is laughable. If you are basing it solely on rankings by IL and Lax Magazine(which doesn't even evaluate players) then perhaps she doesn't get top ranked classes. On the other hand, maybe KAH just has a much better eye than the people that do those rankings? Also, maybe she's looking for specific traits from players. There are things about that program I'm not a huge fan of, but to question the talent KAH brings in is a joke.

Izzy Scane was ranked #27 by IL. Who was right? IL or KAH?
Coykendall was ranked #22 by IL. Who was right? IL or KAH?
Dylan Amonte was ranked #29 by IL. Who was right? IL or KAH?
Samantha Smith was ranked #23 by IL. Who was right? IL or KAH?
Kendall Halpern was ranked #44. Who was right? IL or KAH?
Madison Taylor wasn't in the top 50. Who was right? IL or KAH?

A lot of posters here still put a lot of stock in those rankings. Maybe because their daughters are still in HS and they mean a lot at that point. You quickly find out when your daughter gets on campus that the coaches don't give a darn and they don't matter at all. And this isn't sour grapes as my daughter was very highly ranked by IL. Every day is a tryout in college.

She's the best innovator in the history of the sport as well. No one has adjusted better to the ever changing rules than she has.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

hmmm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:23 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:59 pm What a load of nit picking elitist crap this thread is, a classic example of what a cesspool social media is and why these student athletes should stay from it. A dad who appears to have some sort of bone to pick with Northwestern and its way of operating, and a couple of daughters (who don't cuss) who have to find something negative/derogatory to say. I crossed those kind of people off my list many decades ago.
Yeah, while i was surprised by the answers on that question at a school like NU, I don't put much stock in it.

And to say KAH doesn't attract top talent is laughable. If you are basing it solely on rankings by IL and Lax Magazine(which doesn't even evaluate players) then perhaps she doesn't get top ranked classes. On the other hand, maybe KAH just has a much better eye than the people that do those rankings? Also, maybe she's looking for specific traits from players. There are things about that program I'm not a huge fan of, but to question the talent KAH brings in is a joke.

A lot of posters here still put a lot of stock in those rankings. Maybe because their daughters are still in HS and they mean a lot at that point. You quickly find out when your daughter gets on campus that the coaches don't give a darn and they don't matter at all. And this isn't sour grapes as my daughter was very highly ranked by IL. Every day is a tryout in college.

She's the best innovator in the history of the sport as well. No one has adjusted better to the ever changing rules than she has.
I think the point someone made was that she actually does take runs at the people rated in IL and Lax where other people, as I did, felt she never did and had an eye for people not listed on those ridiculous rankings.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:38 pm

I think the point someone made was that she actually does take runs at the people rated in IL and Lax where other people, as I did, felt she never did and had an eye for people not listed on those ridiculous rankings.
She's never really put a lot of effort into recruiting Maryland. Last year, Sammy White was the only player on the roster from MD. Yes, she went after some MD girls in the years prior that she didn't get, but it's definitely not her focus. Until somewhat recently a lot of coaches didn't recruit MD as hard because most of the top girls went to MD so it was a waste of time and resources. Sure, I have no doubt she missed on players ranked highly in those publications. Every coach has. There were things about NU that my daughter wasn't crazy about. Everyone is looking for different things. But to say that she recruits a "type" of player can come off as condescending to the fantastic women that are on that team.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

hmmm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:23 pm Yeah, while i was surprised by the answers on that question at a school like NU, I don't put much stock in it.
I wasn't surprised. At all.

Growing up, one of my best friends was a girl who was a complete goofball and very obsessed with things that many people would consider to be frivolous, such as fashion. She was one of those young women who many people would think was not serious about anything in life and very silly because of how she behaved socially. When it came to academic work, though, she was a killer. While she was at Duke, she got great grades during the day, and after classes she'd be at raves all night. She got a nearly perfect score on the LSAT and later got a graduate degree from Columbia. Now? It would not surprise me if it turned out that she made more money than at least than half the posters at this board combined.

Obviously, my friend is extremely bright and driven and successful...but people would always underestimate her and get the wrong idea of who she is because they would judge her based on what she was like in more social settings. (After they did find out more about her, they become very intimidated by her.)

Anyway, I went to NU, and I've known enough people at NU and "a school like NU" who were similar to my friend in order to understand the ideas people have about the students at those schools and exactly how those ideas align with reality, so I know it's kind of foolish to look at those snippets of video and make any assumptions about their attitudes towards education.

And even if the girls on that team are second rate student athletes, well...they'll still graduate with a degree that says Northwestern University. Good for them.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

ultravisitor wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:00 pm
hmmm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:23 pm Yeah, while i was surprised by the answers on that question at a school like NU, I don't put much stock in it.

Growing up, one of my best friends was a girl who was a complete goofball and very obsessed with things that many people would consider to be frivolous, such as fashion. She was one of those young women who many people would think was not serious about anything in life and very silly because of how she behaved socially. When it came to academic work, though, she was a killer. While she was at Duke, she got great grades during the day, and after classes she'd be at raves all night. She got a nearly perfect score on the LSAT and later got a graduate degree from Columbia. Now? It would not surprise me if it turned out that she made more money at least than half the posters at this board combined.

Obviously, my friend is extremely bright and driven and successful...but people would always underestimate her and get the wrong idea of who she is because they would judge her based on what she was like in more social settings. (After they did find out more about her, they become very intimidated by her.)

Anyway, I went to NU, and I've known enough people at NU and "a school like NU" who were similar to my friend in order to understand the ideas people have about the students at those schools and exactly how those ideas align with reality, so I know it's kind of foolish to look at those snippets of video and make any assumptions about their attitudes towards education.

And even if the girls on that team are second rate student athletes, well...they'll still graduate with a degree that says Northwestern University. Good for them.
Hence why I said I don't put much stock in it. I know some of those young women. My daughter goes to a school with a similar academic profile. I get it. I was just more surprised it was included in the video at all.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

hmmm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:06 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:00 pm

Growing up, one of my best friends was a girl who was a complete goofball and very obsessed with things that many people would consider to be frivolous, such as fashion. She was one of those young women who many people would think was not serious about anything in life and very silly because of how she behaved socially. When it came to academic work, though, she was a killer. While she was at Duke, she got great grades during the day, and after classes she'd be at raves all night. She got a nearly perfect score on the LSAT and later got a graduate degree from Columbia. Now? It would not surprise me if it turned out that she made more money at least than half the posters at this board combined.

Hence why I said I don't put much stock in it. I know some of those young women. My daughter goes to a school with a similar academic profile. I get it. I was just more surprised it was included in the video at all.
I was actually wondering if they included it to not just demonstrate that they like to have fun but also to deliberately shake off any ideas people might have about them being nerds. After all, the shirt that says "Nerdwestern" across the front is pretty popular and beloved on campus as well as off campus. (I like it more than the "Northwasted" shirt, which is also popular and more recent.)
jff97

Post by jff97 »

hmmm wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:00 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:38 pm

She's never really put a lot of effort into recruiting Maryland. Last year, Sammy White was the only player on the roster from MD. Yes, she went after some MD girls in the years prior that she didn't get, but it's definitely not her focus. Until somewhat recently a lot of coaches didn't recruit MD as hard because most of the top girls went to MD so it was a waste of time and resources. Sure, I have no doubt she missed on players ranked highly in those publications. Every coach has. There were things about NU that my daughter wasn't crazy about. Everyone is looking for different things. But to say that she recruits a "type" of player can come off as condescending to the fantastic women that are on that team.
Northwestern has recruited 19 top 100 players over the past four years, which is the 8th most in the sport. Any other sport that kind of consistent recruiting means you bring in enough talent to compete for championships. I've always thought the whole narrative that she recruits athletes, not lacrosse players is overrated. If you commit to Northwestern, you're really good at lacrosse. Even a player like Madison Taylor who wasn't ranked top 50 she's still seen as one of the 100 best lacrosse players in her class out of thousands across the country. Pretty good if you ask me. Sometimes I feel like on this board we think the recruiting list ends at the top 100 when that's a small group projected to be the best of the best in their class. Obviously when you get to college you still have to put the talent you have in the best position to succeed. Clearly Northwestern has done that.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”