January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:09 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:19 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:57 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:49 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:38 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:26 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:12 pm More excuses cometh:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maryroelof ... 0ebd4b41f4
Your griping at the wrong guy. One of our local TV investigative reporters did a pretty lengthy piece explaining what they discovered about the closings. There must be a conspiracy among those 3 drug chains lying about why they closed down all of these stores. Of course I could still be correct that they are simply taking a nap and have overslept. Why was that young lady lying to my wife and I about the never ending theft problem at her store. Damn her. Damn her all to hell. The wife and I are going to have a chat with her. She lied to us about all the merchandise stored under lock and key. Maybe Walgreen simply can't afford all of those locks they are buying? Unless maybe they have started stealing the locks too. :o
Who said Walgreens wasn’t closing stores and didn’t have any theft?

https://wham1180.iheart.com/content/202 ... iks-fault/
The reason for closing most businesses are because they are no longer profitable. Why would they become unprofitable if the market research would have told them otherwise? It sure is a mystery to me. :? Any idea what the baseline is for shrinkage before you lock the doors?
You didn’t read any of the articles. The answers are in there.
I read the articles. Two explanations, racism or too much thievery, take your pick, depends who your talking to. :roll:
You didn’t read the articles…..any you mean it depends on who YOU are talking to….not who I talk to.
Found this fun thing in one of the articles...

Walgreens’ chief financial officer last January admitted that the company exaggerated the claims of retail theft when it relied on the excuse to close the San Francisco stores.

Also, it's amazing that these stores didn't build in a once in a lifetime pandemic into their 5 year models when building new stores. Only an idiot would leave that out.
Having understood CRE and VC a bit and just spent some time in the Bay Area visiting my sister what I can say confidently is both that it’s a complex situation with SF and especially the business district in and around market st AND that much of this is a product of their own bad management.

But that city is so unique and yet has this syndrome like focus such that they can. Ie be blamed for a million and one things and get away with its. And it will happen over and over.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Your griping at the wrong guy. One of our local TV investigative reporters did a pretty lengthy piece explaining what they discovered about the closings. There must be a conspiracy among those 3 drug chains lying about why they closed down all of these stores. Of course I could still be correct that they are simply taking a nap and have overslept. Why was that young lady lying to my wife and I about the never ending theft problem at her store. Damn her. Damn her all to hell. The wife and I are going to have a chat with her. She lied to us about all the merchandise stored under lock and key. Maybe Walgreen simply can't afford all of those locks they are buying? Unless maybe they have started stealing the locks too. :o

The reason for closing most businesses are because they are no longer profitable. Why would they become unprofitable if the market research would have told them otherwise? It sure is a mystery to me. :? Any idea what the baseline is for shrinkage before you lock the doors?
I read the articles. Two explanations, racism or too much thievery, take your pick, depends who your talking to. :roll:
You didn’t read the articles…..any you mean it depends on who YOU are talking to….not who I talk to.

Walgreens’ chief financial officer last January admitted that the company exaggerated the claims of retail theft when it relied on the excuse to close the San Francisco stores.

Also, it's amazing that these stores didn't build in a once in a lifetime pandemic into their 5 year models when building new stores. Only an idiot would leave that out.
Lower Medicaid reimbursements have not helped either.
“I wish you would!”
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:16 pm Having understood CRE and VC a bit and just spent some time in the Bay Area visiting my sister what I can say confidently is both that it’s a complex situation with SF and especially the business district in and around market st AND that much of this is a product of their own bad management.

But that city is so unique and yet has this syndrome like focus such that they can. Ie be blamed for a million and one things and get away with its. And it will happen over and over.
Doesn't take experience in FinTech to know that pointing the finger at others is easier and softens the blow on your stock price. Media and the public don't care about informed explanations about unique/niche market locations for national brands. Easier to ask forgiveness. Same reason retractions are towards the back of the newpaper (well, were).
Typical Lax Dad

Cradle and Salt LLC needs to publish their report. This is trash.

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/hea ... the-future
“I wish you would!”
NattyBohChamps04

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:22 pm Cradle and Salt LLC needs to publish their report. This is trash.

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/hea ... the-future
Did the C&S consortium price in Amazon and Mark Cuban entering the pharmacy market in the past few years?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:22 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:16 pm Having understood CRE and VC a bit and just spent some time in the Bay Area visiting my sister what I can say confidently is both that it’s a complex situation with SF and especially the business district in and around market st AND that much of this is a product of their own bad management.

Doesn't take experience in FinTech to know that pointing the finger at others is easier and softens the blow on your stock price. Media and the public don't care about informed explanations about unique/niche market locations for national brands. Easier to ask forgiveness. Same reason retractions are towards the back of the newpaper (well, were).
Sure but I meant more like I didn’t see much at all of what folks claim. A little bit vastly overstated. No surprise. But housing issues, transport, etc. years of conversations with my sister who’s hardly going to be a cato institute fan ever but is migrating right from fairly extreme left realizing that their efforts to control aspects of the area like housing were a mistaken approach now. They also were levered to tech which was levered to the Federal reserves monetary policy post financial crisis and the product of those efforts accelerated the remote work (spent secular) trend. That unwind is going to be nasty and they have far too much office/retail/housing in both Sf and Oakland.

But it’s not hell or anything just going to be a multi decade drag. The downside is you get an easier laid back version of 70s/80s NYC for a good while. Not the end of the world but not cool either.

People buying into a Cfos explanation for something is silly: they all blame the weather even when the conditions are perfect.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

NattyBohChamps04

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:33 pmThe downside is you get an easier laid back version of 70s/80s NYC for a good while.
My parents lived in NYC in the 60's. They took me there for the first time in NYC in the mid 80's. Don't remember anything about the trip except apparently we were driving too slowly in a station wagon with out of state plates and a Wrangler zoomed around us with two guys giving us the finger.

My sister lived in Brooklyn for about a decade in the 90's through mid '00's. Got to know the city a lot more more, but I've got no desire to live there.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:46 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:33 pmThe downside is you get an easier laid back version of 70s/80s NYC for a good while.
My parents lived in NYC in the 60's. They took me there for the first time in NYC in the mid 80's. Don't remember anything about the trip except apparently we were driving too slowly in a station wagon with out of state plates and a Wrangler zoomed around us with two guys giving us the finger.

My sister lived in Brooklyn for about a decade in the 90's through mid '00's. Got to know the city a lot more more, but I've got no desire to live there.
I was there for a while in the 2000s when it got Disneyfied. Was probably the apex of this cycle for the city up to The financial crisis. I loved it but didn’t have kids then. Bloomberg was ok some traffic related stuff I hated but DiBlasio took it to French decadence level mismanagement. Still I generally hit the ground running there and it feels more natural than Atlanta does 13+ years into living down here, little more than twice the time I lived in NYC. DC before that which feels weird but for different reasons.

But it was a rough living for many in the city in that period. Nearly went bankrupt in 77 but generally attributed to having been saved by this Lazard banker named a Felix Rohytan. I find that era fascinating personally. Lot of interesting art and culture came out of it as far as I’m concerned.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Interesting..and why?

Former Jan. 6 Select Committee deleted more than 100 encrypted files from its probe in the days before Republicans took over the House majority

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/us-pol ... ority.html
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:35 am Interesting..and why?

Former Jan. 6 Select Committee deleted more than 100 encrypted files from its probe in the days before Republicans took over the House majority

Will you wait to see what the “deleted” files are? Or will you go where you usually go?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:26 am

Will you wait to see what the “deleted” files are? Or will you go where you usually go?
Just sharing news hot off the presses....I even added a question mark to help you not assume I was going anywhere. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Cradle and Salt LLC Research Report is hot off the press. Confirmation of Racism, BLM, and Shoplifters are no longer arrested are the leading causes of retail pharmacy closings across the country.

https://www.thestreet.com/retailers/tar ... tail-theft
“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:36 am

Just sharing news hot off the presses....I even added a question mark to help you not assume I was going anywhere. ;)
Good; rather than take the word of "Colin Rugg" or "Benny Johnson" or "Charlie Kirk," let's just wait and see what it all means.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:30 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:36 am

Good; rather than take the word of "Colin Rugg" or "Benny Johnson" or "Charlie Kirk," let's just wait and see what it all means.
Good luck with that. We never did find out was in those missing 16 minutes of Nixons tapes. It can be assumed they made Nixon look worse than he already did.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:24 am Cradle and Salt LLC Research Report is hot off the press. Confirmation of Racism, BLM, and Shoplifters are no longer arrested are the leading causes of retail pharmacy closings across the country.

Interesting link. Kinda like closing the barn door after all the cows have wondered out into the pasture. Maybe Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid can perform a modern day miracle and bring the dead back to life? :D
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:24 am Cradle and Salt LLC Research Report is hot off the press. Confirmation of Racism, BLM, and Shoplifters are no longer arrested are the leading causes of retail pharmacy closings across the country.

Interesting link. Kinda like closing the barn door after all the cows have wondered out into the pasture. Maybe Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid can perform a modern day miracle and bring the dead back to life? :D
Glad you published it.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Perhaps they should have used the old tried and true excuse that the store was not meeting expectations and left it at that. There is no exaggerating the fact that the store will be forever closed. It will probably become a state of the art building for people to go and sell blood plasma. That is what was done with the newly constructed former CVS store near my house.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:50 pm

Perhaps they should have used the old tried and true excuse that the store was not meeting expectations and left it at that. There is no exaggerating the fact that the store will be forever closed. It will probably become a state of the art building for people to go and sell blood plasma. That is what was done with the newly constructed former CVS store near my house.
There is nothing about San Francisco and Rochester that are comparable.

More to the point, when do you acknowledge your claims previously were incorrect in light of clear information? The C.F.O. lied so you have an excuse here despite laying an allegation without drying on top of current information on said topic which you thrust the accusation forth about.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just out of curiosity TLD what would be the logic of Walgreens, CVS and Rite AId to spend mega bucks to construct these brand new stores simply to shut them down in under 5 years? I'm not a business wiz but it sure doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I know any business worth its salt investigates the market first before investing the money, time and effort to build the store in the first place. I know a pizza store owner fairly well who does many months of due diligence looking for locations, traffic patterns and other pizza joints near buy. He won't plunk down dollar number one until he is assured the new store will be profitable. Maybe there is a tax write off for these chains or maybe their management is simply flat out stupid. :roll:
Dude you start with and conclusion then expose yourself by acknowledging all the things about it you don’t understand.

Here’s one: Sunk cost

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_co ... is%20taken.

Search
Sunk cost
Article Talk
Language
Watch
Edit
"Sunk Costs" redirects here. For the Better Call Saul episode, see Sunk Costs (Better Call Saul).
In economics and business decision-making, a sunk cost (also known as retrospective cost) is a cost that has already been incurred and cannot be recovered.[1][2] Sunk costs are contrasted with prospective costs, which are future costs that may be avoided if action is taken.[3] In other words, a sunk cost is a sum paid in the past that is no longer relevant to decisions about the future. Even though economists argue that sunk costs are no longer relevant to future rational decision-making, people in everyday life often take previous expenditures in situations, such as repairing a car or house, into their future decisions regarding those properties.

Bygones principle
Fallacy effect
edit
See also: Fail fast (business)
The bygones principle does not always accord with real-world behavior. Sunk costs often influence people's decisions,[7][14] with people believing that investments (i.e., sunk costs) justify further expenditures.[16] People demonstrate "a greater tendency to continue an endeavor once an investment in money, effort, or time has been made".[17][18] This is the sunk cost fallacy, and such behavior may be described as "throwing good money after bad",[19][14] while refusing to succumb to what may be described as "cutting one's losses".[14] People can remain in failing relationships because they "have already invested too much to leave". Other people are swayed by arguments that a war must continue because lives will have been sacrificed in vain unless victory is achieved. Individuals caught up in psychologically manipulative scams will continue investing time, money and emotional energy into the project, despite doubts or suspicions that something is not right.[20] These types of behaviour do not seem to accord with rational choice theory and are often classified as behavioural errors.[21]

Rego, Arantes, and Magalhães point out that the sunk cost effect exists in committed relationships. They devised two experiments, one of which showed that people in a relationship which they had invested money and effort in were more likely to keep that relationship going than end it; and in the second experiment, while people are in a relationship which they had invested enough time in, they tended to devote more time to the relationship.[22] It also means people fall into the sunk cost fallacy. Although people should ignore sunk costs and make rational decisions when planning for the future, time, money, and effort often make people continue to maintain this relationship, which is equivalent to continuing to invest in failed projects.

According to evidence reported by De Bondt and Makhija (1988)[full citation needed], managers of many utility companies in the United States have been overly reluctant to terminate economically unviable nuclear plant projects. In the 1960s, the nuclear power industry promised "energy too cheap to meter". Nuclear power lost public support in the 1970s and 1980s, when public service commissions around the nation ordered prudency reviews. From these reviews, De Bondt and Makhija find evidence that the commissions denied many utility companies even partial recovery of nuclear construction costs on the grounds that they had been mismanaging the nuclear construction projects in ways consistent with throwing good money after bad.[23]

The sunk cost fallacy has also been called the "Concorde fallacy": the British and French governments took their past expenses on the costly supersonic jet as a rationale for continuing the project, as opposed to "cutting their losses".
There is also evidence of government representatives failing to ignore sunk costs.[21] The term "Concorde fallacy"[24] derives from the fact that the British and French governments continued to fund the joint development of the costly Concorde supersonic airplane even after it became apparent that there was no longer an economic case for the aircraft. The British government privately regarded the project as a commercial disaster that should never have been started. Political and legal issues made it impossible for either government to pull out.[9]

The idea of sunk costs is often employed when analyzing business decisions. A common example of a sunk cost for a business is the promotion of a brand name. This type of marketing incurs costs that cannot normally be recovered. It is not typically possible to later "demote" one's brand names in exchange for cash. A second example is research and development (R&D) costs. Once spent, such costs are sunk and should have no effect on future pricing decisions[citation needed]. A pharmaceutical company's attempt to justify high prices because of the need to recoup R&D expenses would be fallacious. The company would charge a high price whether R&D cost one dollar or one million. R&D costs and the ability to recoup those costs are a factor in deciding whether to spend the money on R&D in the first place.[25]

Dijkstra and Hong proposed that part of a person's behavior is influenced by a person's current emotions. Their experiments showed that emotional responses benefit from the sunk cost fallacy. Negative influences lead to the sunk cost fallacy. For example, anxious people face the stress brought about by the sunk cost fallacy. When stressed, they are more motivated to invest in failed projects rather than take additional approaches. Their report shows that the sunk cost fallacy will have a greater impact on people under high load conditions and people's psychological state and external environment will be the key influencing factors.[26]

The sunk cost effect may cause cost overrun. In business, an example of sunk costs may be an investment into a factory or research that now has a lower value or none. For example, $20 million has been spent on building a power plant; the value now is zero because it is incomplete (and no sale or recovery is feasible). The plant can be completed for an additional $10 million or abandoned and a different but equally valuable facility built for $5 million. Abandonment and construction of the alternative facility is the more rational decision, even though it represents a total loss of the original expenditure—the original sum invested is a sunk cost. If decision-makers are irrational or have the "wrong" (different) incentives, the completion of the project may be chosen. For example, politicians or managers may have more incentive to avoid the appearance of a total loss. In practice, there is considerable ambiguity and uncertainty in such cases, and decisions may in retrospect appear irrational that were, at the time, reasonable to the economic actors involved and in the context of their incentives. A decision-maker might make rational decisions according to their incentives, outside of efficiency or profitability. This is considered to be an incentive problem and is distinct from a sunk cost problem. Some research has also noted circumstances where the sunk cost effect is reversed; that is, where individuals appear irrationally eager to write off earlier investments in order to take up a new endeavor.[27]

Plan continuation bias
edit
A related phenomenon is plan continuation bias,[28][29][30][31][32] which is recognised as a subtle cognitive bias that tends to force the continuation of a plan or course of action even in the face of changing conditions. In the field of aerospace it has been recognised as a significant causal factor in accidents, with a 2004 NASA study finding that in 9 out of the 19 accidents studied, aircrew exhibited this behavioural bias.[28]

This is a hazard for ships' captains or aircraft pilots who may stick to a planned course even when it is leading to fatal disaster and they should abort instead. A famous example is the Torrey Canyon oil spill in which a tanker ran aground when its captain persisted with a risky course rather than accepting a delay.[33] It has been a factor in numerous air crashes and an analysis of 279 approach and landing accidents (ALAs) found that it was the fourth most common cause, occurring in 11% of cases.[34] Another analysis of 76 accidents found that it was a contributory factor in 42% of cases.[35]

There are also two predominant factors that characterise the bias. The first is an overly optimistic estimate of probability of success, possibly to reduce cognitive dissonance having made a decision. The second is that of personal responsibility: when you are personally accountable, it is difficult for you to admit that you were wrong.[28]

Projects often suffer cost overruns and delays due to the planning fallacy and related factors including excessive optimism, an unwillingness to admit failure, groupthink and aversion to loss of sunk costs
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:15 am Remember when Salty's position was that no one had been charged with sedition?
How many have been charged with sedition ? How many convicted ?

How many have been charged with starting or participating in an insurrection ? How many convicted ?

Return to “POLITICS”