THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
johnnyonthegunpowder

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:22 am
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 am
Hawkeye wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:41 am Hopkins/Notre Dame game preview starts at 32:45. Very length Petro interview (~ 20 minutes) starts at 34:30.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7257187-5-1 ... pietramala
I'm sorry, but that he leads with the losses of Valis and Tinney????????????? Valis was criminally underutilized, and Tinney was a great player, but......Lead with Crawley and Stanwick for god's sake. That's kind of infuriating to me.
Crawley graduated in 2017, and he does get a mention right after anyway.

I don't have a problem leading with Tinney. Based on how this season has played out so far I think it's clear the Jays miss him more than any other player who graduated. Shack was a phenomenal player but the attack seems to be doing okay. The lack of experience and dodging ability at the midfield on the other hand has been a glaring issue pretty much all season long. I think coach brought up Valis to further make that point. If you told me I could only pluck one guy from the 2018 team and put him on this current roster it would easily be Joel Tinney, no questions asked. Brock Turnbaugh might be #2.
Yes, I meant Moreland. Please, when he's talking Valis from the perspective of a coach who barely played him he's talking holistically. That's not a category for Tinney.
viper

Post by viper »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:22 am
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 am
Hawkeye wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:41 am Hopkins/Notre Dame game preview starts at 32:45. Very length Petro interview (~ 20 minutes) starts at 34:30.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7257187-5-1 ... pietramala
I'm sorry, but that he leads with the losses of Valis and Tinney????????????? Valis was criminally underutilized, and Tinney was a great player, but......Lead with Crawley and Stanwick for god's sake. That's kind of infuriating to me.
Crawley graduated in 2017, and he does get a mention right after anyway.

I don't have a problem leading with Tinney. Based on how this season has played out so far I think it's clear the Jays miss him more than any other player who graduated. Shack was a phenomenal player but the attack seems to be doing okay. The lack of experience and dodging ability at the midfield on the other hand has been a glaring issue pretty much all season long. I think coach brought up Valis to further make that point. If you told me I could only pluck one guy from the 2018 team and put him on this current roster it would easily be Joel Tinney, no questions asked. Brock Turnbaugh might be #2.
That's quite a statement to say that Turnbaugh would be the #2 guy to bring back from 2018. Says alot about the current goalkeeping situation. Turnbaugh wasn't exactly another Frederico or Quin. 50% used to be considered average as a save percentage. Now its something we "hope" for every week.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Just wanted to briefly call attention to this paragraph from an Inside Lacrosse article about Penn State:
Everyone in power blue around the net all seemed to move in slow motion, because there was little else they could do. The ball was already behind poor Ryan Darby by the time the Johns Hopkins’ goalie turned his head around. Blue Jays’ defender Jack Huber just stood in momentary disbelief at the net, his arms by his side.
Jack Huber.

Jack. Huber.

That appears to be some combination of Jack Rapine, Matt Hubler, and, unfortunately, Jeremy Huber. This is completely embarrassing and unacceptable from IL. If it were just one mistake, fine, but this is the latest in a pattern of egregious errors they've made. There is absolutely no effort to copy edit, fact check, or just generally polish articles enough so that they're the least bit readable for the audience. Being the only major lacrosse publication in existence for the longest time has made the magazine lazy, complacent, and dull. If they want to pretend like they remain the go-to "source" for lacrosse news, or whatever their slogan is, then they have to start doing the bare minimum of not making up player names as if out of thin air. The fact that no editor caught that mistake means that they don't actually know the rosters. Anyone with a passing knowledge of Hopkins lacrosse knows that there is no player by that name on the team.

Ok, back to Notre Dame. Hopefully Jack Huber has a good game covering Ryder Garnsey.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 am It would be great if Tim Marcille could be the next Quint K. Not only are they the same size but they’re both obsessive workers. Quint said on air that he played “a ridiculous amount of wall ball.” How do you get to Carnegie hall? Practice practice practice. These two seem to be cut from the same mold. Quint also started as a freshman I believe but it wasn’t until almost midseason.
Jays have a pretty fine team returning next year and if they can find a goalie who can save over 40% they could have a pretty good year in 2020.
Re: first sentence, bolded part.

And it would be even greater after college if he replaced QK in the booth.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I know this post isn't about sunday's game as i'm also a big hopkins fan but....

is it possible that next year's team could be just as good talent wise, as this year's current squad? i mean you have returning:
Epstein
Williams
Desimone
Baskin
Keogh
Rapine
Colwell
Narewski/Prouty
Darby
Hubler
Smith
Stagnitta and so on (forgive me if i'm missing some other productive names)

Losses:
Marr
Jones
Foley
and i'm sure there's some others

Point is, you guys are returning virtually every key member of this team that got hot at the right time.
Add the fact that every year you guys get 3-5 blue chips every year, especially the 2020's Dear LORD HELLO
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

houndace1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:18 pm I know this post isn't about sunday's game as i'm also a big hopkins fan but....

is it possible that next year's team could be just as good talent wise, as this year's current squad? i mean you have returning:
Epstein
Williams
Desimone
Baskin
Keogh
Rapine
Colwell
Narewski/Prouty
Darby
Hubler
Smith

Losses:
Marr
Jones
Foley

Point is, you guys are returning virtually every key member of this team that got hot at the right time.
Add the fact that every year you guys get 3-5 blue chips every year, especially the 2020's Dear LORD HELLO
I am hoping we won't have to talk about this in-depth until late May, but: Foley is a big loss. I don't think there is a defender on the roster with his quickness to match feet with some of the best attackmen in the country. Kuhn is also a big loss on the wings and in transition. Marr, despite his current shooting woes, is also a major loss. Without him there isn't a lefty stretch shooter on the roster that I'm aware of. And Jones, while inconsistent, was capable of big games (see Princeton this year) and that's a position we can't really afford to lose an important contributor. So while in sheer quantity this senior class doesn't have quite as many impact players as usual, they are at important positions. The midfield situation also does not seem to be getting much better.

Offensively, it is hard not to be excited about having Epstein and Zinn for the next three years, and then seeing them paired with guys like Grimes in 2020. But we're a long way from that and I don't really think there's much of a point in discussing it further until the 2019 Jays are done playing.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:29 pm
houndace1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:18 pm I know this post isn't about sunday's game as i'm also a big hopkins fan but....

Epstein
Williams
Desimone
Baskin
Keogh
Rapine
Colwell
Narewski/Prouty
Darby
Hubler
Smith

Losses:
Marr
Jones
Foley

I am hoping we won't have to talk about this in-depth until late May, but: Foley is a big loss. I don't think there is a defender on the roster with his quickness to match feet with some of the best attackmen in the country. Kuhn is also a big loss on the wings and in transition. Marr, despite his current shooting woes, is also a major loss. Without him there isn't a lefty stretch shooter on the roster that I'm aware of. And Jones, while inconsistent, was capable of big games (see Princeton this year) and that's a position we can't really afford to lose an important contributor. So while in sheer quantity this senior class doesn't have quite as many impact players as usual, they are at important positions. The midfield situation also does not seem to be getting much better.

Offensively, it is hard not to be excited about having Epstein and Zinn for the next three years, and then seeing them paired with guys like Grimes in 2020. But we're a long way from that and I don't really think there's much of a point in discussing it further until the 2019 Jays are done playing.
Thanks for the response, true its a long way to discuss 2020 i'll just keep it to the current game on Sunday.

With ND's knowns (Constabile, Jackobice, Gleason, Morin, Willets) who would we expect for hopkins to match up with defensively?
The goalie situations for both teams are suspect at best, and ND's offense has been inconsistent to say the least the entire year. Hopkins on the other hand has scored about an average of 12 goals a game against very tough opponents.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

fwiw,
nd's goalie schmidt has played extremely well over the last 2 weekends after getting a quick hook the weekend before. young and has experience.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Not a lot of coverage of the game in the media.
Can a Notre Dame fan/watcher fill in the blanks....
who has the advantage-
-at faceoff
-in goal
-notre dame man up
-hopkins man up
-notre dame 6v6 offense
-Hopkins 6v6 offense
other deciding factors to watch for-Hopkins is 7-1 when winning gbs.
hens62

Post by hens62 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:20 pm Not a lot of coverage of the game in the media.
who has the advantage-
-at faceoff
-in goal
-notre dame man up
-hopkins man up
-notre dame 6v6 offense
-Hopkins 6v6 offense
My take as an ND fan...
- FO: slight edge ND, Leonards a huge spark and threat to score. % is about the same but he's taken 100 more than Prouty
-Goal: slight edge ND, Schmidt is inconsistent but looks like an AA when hes hot (ACC Semis). Costabile/Gleason need to test Darby early and often
-Hopkins Man Up: they are #5 and ND has struggled here, huge advantage Hop
-ND Man Up: never been our strength, Hopkins is #15 man down, no ND advantage there
-Hopkins 6v6: this is the key match up IMO. Epstein coming along makes them scary, but ND is #11 scoring D. Imagine Cohen covers Epstein but ND will not play match ups and just defend. Schmidt will decide this, ND needs to hold them to 10-11 (hope they slide to Zinn, not like they played Dox)
-ND 6v6: the Garnsey situation is a big factor as it frees Gleason/Westlin to run out of the box and attack Hop shorties (who have struggled). Shooting and TOs are the key, but ND still has the slight advantage even without Garnsey

Overall - Hopkins has the hype but this isnt the type of match up that typically scares ND. They typically struggle against very good defenses, FO mismatches, and patient offenses that work them and share the ball. Cant see Epstein winning this on his own, but depends which ND shows up. Should be a classic!!
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Good stuff, hens. It does seem like Zinn is a known-known at this point, and I expect him to be played as such from here on out.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

hens62 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:06 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:20 pm Not a lot of coverage of the game in the media.
who has the advantage-
-at faceoff
-in goal
-notre dame man up
-hopkins man up
-notre dame 6v6 offense
-Hopkins 6v6 offense
My take as an ND fan...
- FO: slight edge ND, Leonards a huge spark and threat to score. % is about the same but he's taken 100 more than Prouty
-Goal: slight edge ND, Schmidt is inconsistent but looks like an AA when hes hot (ACC Semis). Costabile/Gleason need to test Darby early and often
-Hopkins Man Up: they are #5 and ND has struggled here, huge advantage Hop
-ND Man Up: never been our strength, Hopkins is #15 man down, no ND advantage there
-Hopkins 6v6: this is the key match up IMO. Epstein coming along makes them scary, but ND is #11 scoring D. Imagine Cohen covers Epstein but ND will not play match ups and just defend. Schmidt will decide this, ND needs to hold them to 10-11 (hope they slide to Zinn, not like they played Dox)
-ND 6v6: the Garnsey situation is a big factor as it frees Gleason/Westlin to run out of the box and attack Hop shorties (who have struggled). Shooting and TOs are the key, but ND still has the slight advantage even without Garnsey

Overall - Hopkins has the hype but this isnt the type of match up that typically scares ND. They typically struggle against very good defenses, FO mismatches, and patient offenses that work them and share the ball. Cant see Epstein winning this on his own, but depends which ND shows up. Should be a classic!!
Very nice analysis. Thank you, hens62.

In recent weeks, the Blue Jays have been playing unselfish offense ... good ball movement and active off-ball movement. Hopkins will struggle if they depend on isolated dodges. An unselfish motion offense should help them reach double digits against Notre Dame.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Mark Dixon on the 3 B1G teams in the Tournament.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1126846226392023040
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Lady Jays trail Florida 8-5 at halftime (game is at Chapel Hill).

Started off the game 0-6, 5-2 since then.

Winner advances to play at UNC at 1 PM this Sunday.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:02 pm Lady Jays trail Florida 8-5 at halftime (game is at Chapel Hill).

Started off the game 0-6, 5-2 since then.

Winner advances to play at UNC at 1 PM this Sunday.
Jays pulled within 9-7 at one point in the second half, but Florida pulled away for a 16-9 final.

Lady Jays finish 10-8.

Now up to mlax to see if they can finish with a better record. At 8-7, do the math. There’s only two ways mlax can finish better than wlax, record wise, this year.

Run the gauntlet. First, make Touchdown Jesus frown.
LandM

Post by LandM »

Wombat, I think I am stalking you, not on purpose.......we drove to CO because of our two hairy four legged kids. They are a PITA.

Touchdown Jesus - remember looking at him in 1983, cold, wet and muddy, blocked field goal. Unfortunately ND raised the top ring - great place, great atmosphere and actually good drinking venue - best of luck, you all have the momentum.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

IL
I thought I would throw you a notification to go look at the recent posts in the tournament thread. Apparently we shouldn’t hold IL or any journalists to any kind of standard anymore.

And apparently all Hopkins fans are entitled for someone thinking that we should. (Or maybe there’s a pro-Hopkins conspiracy afoot by the NCAA, hard to say).
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Hawkeye wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:14 am
IL
I thought I would throw you a notification to go look at the recent posts in the tournament thread. Apparently we shouldn’t hold IL or any journalists to any kind of standard anymore.

And apparently all Hopkins fans are entitled for someone thinking that we should. (Or maybe there’s a pro-Hopkins conspiracy afoot by the NCAA, hard to say).
I waded in a little.

I wouldn’t wrestle too much. At some point it’s pointless.

You’ve made your points and defended Hopkins well.

Enjoy the games this weekend everyone!

Let’s hope for a great outcome from the Final Nine.

W
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

IL

Hawkeye: you've done yeoman's work trying to respond to 'far', but to be honest, I haven't the faintest idea whey s/he has been trying to say. (I feel some real frustration on his/her part, but that is probably bcos the message is muddled.)
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Big Dog wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 1:21 pm
IL

Hawkeye: you've done yeoman's work trying to respond to 'far', but to be honest, I haven't the faintest idea whey s/he has been trying to say. (I feel some real frustration on his/her part, but that is probably bcos the message is muddled.)
Could be SUTBS.

Stick Up The Butt Syndrome.

It’s worse if it’s a goalie’s stick.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”