NCAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: NCAC 2024

Post by FannOLax »

oldtimelax wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:36 am Tough schedule by Coach Koch -- five teams that should compete in the Top 10-15. He's definitely preparing his team to go deep in the NCAA tournament and keeps his team sharp when playing some of the easier teams in the NCAC.
Nice, tough OOC schedule. It's been said before, but it is something of a bad joke that Denidoo plays Hiram. Unfortunately, the joke's on me as that no-contest game coincides with our planned visit to Granville.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:34 pm
oldtimelax wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:36 am Tough schedule by Coach Koch -- five teams that should compete in the Top 10-15. He's definitely preparing his team to go deep in the NCAA tournament and keeps his team sharp when playing some of the easier teams in the NCAC.
Nice, tough OOC schedule. It's been said before, but it is something of a bad joke that Denidoo plays Hiram. Unfortunately, the joke's on me as that no-contest game coincides with our planned visit to Granville.
Hi Fann … Happy New Year to you and your loved ones! If memory serves me, you’re from Granville or at least spent time there in your youth. You also shared memories of watching classic battles between OWU and Denison “back in the day” when they played at the site that is now the location of the new lacrosse/soccer stadium. Will be interested to get your take on the new facility - that is if you do choose to even go to the Hiram game. 😜 I don’t think I’ll get out there myself before then.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Nosey Ned wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:04 am
FannOLax wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:34 pm
Hi Fann … Happy New Year to you and your loved ones! If memory serves me, you’re from Granville or at least spent time there in your youth. You also shared memories of watching classic battles between OWU and Denison “back in the day” when they played at the site that is now the location of the new lacrosse/soccer stadium. Will be interested to get your take on the new facility - that is if you do choose to even go to the Hiram game. 😜 I don’t think I’ll get out there myself before then.
Hello Ned. Happy New Year to you and your loved ones. Yes, my dad was a Denison professor, so pretty much my entire childhood was spent in Granville. My father walked to work, and I had the campus as my back yard. Even if I don't attend any or all of the Hiram game, I will certainly re-visit the campus and, among other things, check out the new lacrosse facility on that hallowed site where I saw my first lacrosse games, including some fun Denison-OWU battles... and where I played soccer a few times.

While Denison must be the pre-season favorite to win the NCAC, it will be particularly interesting to see how Kenyon does this season, along with the other schools that have never reached an NCAA semi-final.
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

John Carroll being rumored to potentially joining the NCAC.
https://twitter.com/IWUhoopscom/status/ ... 7703279677
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

John Carroll will be a great addition to the NCAC. They are competitive across all sports, and will be definitely be among the Top 4 teams in Men's Lacrosse. The other plus is that other teams can schedule them now for April instead of February or early March. OWU has had some memorably chilly and snowy encounters up there -- by the banks of Lake Erie. Sounds like this is going to happen.

https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2024/ ... r-from-oac#:
laxfan13

Post by laxfan13 »

Interesting news on JCU. Would add some travel costs with trips out to DePauw and Wabash. What about the rumored closure of Hiram? Would be back to 9 again?
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

oldtimelax wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:37 am John Carroll will be a great addition to the NCAC. They are competitive across all sports, and will be definitely be among the Top 4 teams in Men's Lacrosse. The other plus is that other teams can schedule them now for April instead of February or early March. OWU has had some memorably chilly and snowy encounters up there -- by the banks of Lake Erie. Sounds like this is going to happen.

Hi Old … HNY to you and yours! Looking forward to another lively discussion on this year’s NCAC lax season. All the best to your Bishops! They were young last year and I fully expect OWU to get themselves back in not only the NCAC Championship game after a few years absence - but perhaps back in the national discussion as well. The NCAC and Denison are better off when OWU is nationally relevant.

I guess we won’t need to wait too long to see just where John Carroll will slot in in the NCAC as 4 of their 5 OOC games this year are vs NCAC teams. They play Witt; Woo; OWU and Denison this year. I guess Kenyon didn’t have an open slot! 😄

https://jcusports.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Another season is upon us Ned....all the best to you, your family and the Big Red! Can't wait to the see the new stadium, and hopefully this will spur OWU to do likewise. A major stumbling block is that OWU's legendary soccer coach is adamantly against his home field being artificial turf, even though his main rivals at Denison and Kenyon (with coaches who are both his former players) have adapted.

I do think OWU will be much better this year. There is chatter about several incoming first-years being able to contribute right away, and nearly all of their key players are back. I don't think Plantholt would have scheduled CNU if he didn't feel much better about the talent he has this season.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

oldtimelax wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:45 am
I do think OWU will be much better this year. There is chatter about several incoming first-years being able to contribute right away, and nearly all of their key players are back. I don't think Plantholt would have scheduled CNU if he didn't feel much better about the talent he has this season.
First years are the great “unknown” and when you’re lucky enough to get a couple that are AAs in waiting and hit the ground running, they can make the difference. Denison had 2 such players in 2017 with Pittroff (36pts running 2 mid) and Butler (65g starting attack) that helped fill the void left with the graduation of Farinholt and Meager. They along with other FYs in Hutras and Paras, helped that already Top 10 team, take the next step to the Final Four.

Good luck to all the teams in the NCAC this year. May they all stay healthy, play well and let the best team come out on top!

GO BIG RED
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

I don't have any love for OWU. In 2003 we played them at home, and it was pretty nuts. I vividly remember Bedford and Rowe going to the scorers table asking about their point totals during the game. Just a lot of disrespect from the coaches down. We lost 19-6. In 2004, at a neutral turf field just miles from their campus in OH, we won after going up big and doing enough to hold them off down the stretch. We won 8-7. As we walked to the bus, we saw OWU on theirs, the coach was screaming and demanded they take the OWU stickers off their helmet for losing to such an inferior team. We weren't. IDK, stuck with me.

All that being said, I'd love to see the Bishops back in the mix nationally. CNU is a totally different animal. Confidence to schedule them is one thing, but they are loaded and well coached. That game might be your 2003 not your 2004. Show you were you need to get better, what changes might need to be made.
TopperLax82

Post by TopperLax82 »

If news of John Carroll going to the NCAC next season is true the NCAC just got a lot tougher next year.
NeOhLaxFan

Post by NeOhLaxFan »

Hiram with another swing and miss on their hire. BW assistant Schmoldt would have been the better move.
laxfan13

Post by laxfan13 »

NeOhLaxFan wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:11 pm Hiram with another swing and miss on their hire. BW assistant Schmoldt would have been the better move.
Maybe he didn't wamt it with the cloud that is rumored looming over the program and the school. He has a good gigs with BW, his indoor league and Resolute Club lax. Might not want to be a head coach.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

OWU posts their schedule....OOC games are Grove City, Christopher Newport, Transylvania, St. Vincent, John Carroll, Hampden-Sydney, and Albion

https://battlingbishops.com/sports/mens ... edule/2024
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

oldtimelax wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:37 am John Carroll will be a great addition to the NCAC. They are competitive across all sports, and will be definitely be among the Top 4 teams in Men's Lacrosse. The other plus is that other teams can schedule them now for April instead of February or early March. OWU has had some memorably chilly and snowy encounters up there -- by the banks of Lake Erie. Sounds like this is going to happen.

Back to this article... It says, "It could be the first of a series of moves in Region 7, perhaps involving schools in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference, Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association and Presidents' Athletic Conference."

I've heard from some people involved in Ohio D3/OAC sports that there are rumors of significant conference shake ups. Like the OAC might not exist in the not so distant future with it's current teams going to the NCAC and Heartland or maybe other conferences. Anyone else hear rumors like this? Anyone have insight?
formerd3

Post by formerd3 »

OAC AD's met this past week in Arizona. The only discussion was about JCU leaving for the NCAC. Looking for an announcement on Thursday with more info is the news.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

OWU's 2024 schedule is posted.https://battlingbishops.com/sports/mens ... edule/2024

Biggest highlight is always Denison. However, Chrissy Newport in Virginia is a big one; game is on a Sunday, with CNU facing Stevenson the day before. CNU is very good, and will be clear favorites, but, well, maybe the Captains will be looking ahead to the Mustang Classic, Tufts, etc.OWU also plays Hampden-Sydney (in Virginia), Grove City (in Pennsylvania), John Carroll (in Cleveburgh) and Albion (at home!!). Sure miss those days when Salisbury was on the schedule.

Hmmm, I'm thinking that Oberlin at Kenyon might be a better game to attend than Hiram at Denison; wish there were a better NCAC option during my planned visit to Central Ohio.
laxfan13

Post by laxfan13 »

Lurker wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:20 pm

Back to this article... It says, "It could be the first of a series of moves in Region 7, perhaps involving schools in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference, Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association and Presidents' Athletic Conference."

I've heard from some people involved in Ohio D3/OAC sports that there are rumors of significant conference shake ups. Like the OAC might not exist in the not so distant future with it's current teams going to the NCAC and Heartland or maybe other conferences. Anyone else hear rumors like this? Anyone have insight?
Purely speculation, but I could see Wilmington, Muskingum and Heidelberg from the OAC moving to the Heartland. Smaller schools with lower athletics profile than much of the rest of the OAC. BW, JCU, and Mount Union have more ambition and success. May want a new home with better profiles and stronger schools.
laxfan13

Post by laxfan13 »

Official, 2025-2026 school year. 2026 for lax season. Will make it less likely for JCU to make the NCAA tourney and weaken the midwest competition in the NCAA tournament overall.
berryjames

Post by berryjames »

laxfan13 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:20 pm

Official, 2025-2026 school year. 2026 for lax season. Will make it less likely for JCU to make the NCAA tourney and weaken the midwest competition in the NCAA tournament overall.
Agreed, I think they instantly become the third-best team in the NCAC behind Denison and Kenyon but will struggle to win conference championships as they did in the OAC. This does make Baldwin Wallace's road to the NCAA tournament so much easier.

Could this help the NCAC become a consistent 2-bid conference if JC is able to pick up some good out-of-conference wins?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”