Roanoke 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
JBFortunato

Roanoke 2024

Post by JBFortunato »

Merry Christmas Maroons.

The grapevine tells me that Noke has a formidable out of conference schedule this season - Wesleyan and Dickinson among others.

I see a veteran group coming back in 2024 with something to prove, and the experience and talent to win those close games that they haven't always been able to close out in the last few years. It is crucial that they get great goaltending and win faceoffs, and I anticipate that those two areas will be strengths this season. I'm very optimistic!

I am pleased that the program has made a commitment to publicizing all that it offers through the four part documentary that they are filming and releasing this season - two episodes are up on youtube already: https://youtu.be/dG9VGqJ2Mho?si=KhBJo-oamplwdqxT. This is a storied program with a legendary coach at the helm, and the college and team have so much to offer. I am hopeful that the program continues to put resources and effort into this kind of recruiting tool. I do hope that the facilities and campus are featured more prominently going forward, the facilities are among the very best in college athletics, and the college is quite charming.

Good luck this season boys.
River Donkey

Re: Roanoke 2024

Post by River Donkey »

JBFortunato wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:17 pm Merry Christmas Maroons.

The grapevine tells me that Noke has a formidable out of conference schedule this season - Wesleyan and Dickinson among others.

I see a veteran group coming back in 2024 with something to prove, and the experience and talent to win those close games that they haven't always been able to close out in the last few years. It is crucial that they get great goaltending and win faceoffs, and I anticipate that those two areas will be strengths this season. I'm very optimistic!

I am pleased that the program has made a commitment to publicizing all that it offers through the four part documentary that they are filming and releasing this season - two episodes are up on youtube already: https://youtu.be/dG9VGqJ2Mho?si=KhBJo-oamplwdqxT. This is a storied program with a legendary coach at the helm, and the college and team have so much to offer. I am hopeful that the program continues to put resources and effort into this kind of recruiting tool. I do hope that the facilities and campus are featured more prominently going forward, the facilities are among the very best in college athletics, and the college is quite charming.

Good luck this season boys.
What makes Pilot legendary? What has he won? Is he a legend because of longevity? Other than that Roanoke was good in the 80’s and decent in the 90’s. Not much to see there.
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

River Donkey wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:07 am What makes Pilot legendary? What has he won? Is he a legend because of longevity? Other than that Roanoke was good in the 80’s and decent in the 90’s. Not much to see there.
Okay, I'll bite . . .

Coach PilAt is in the Top 10 all-time, all-divisions for wins (needs to be updated but his inclusion on the list will not change). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... h_250_wins
Who else in D3 do you consider Legendary? Janczyk? Rostan? Caravana? Long? Koudelka? All of these great coaches (yes, they are all great and legendary) each have the same number of national championships as Pilat.
Pilat has at least 4 trips to the Final Four - 1992, 2005, 2006, 2011.
Roanoke as a program has the most ODAC titles (18) and Pilat has been coach for 11 of them.

Donkey, you have had a lot of great insight on this forum . . . . but I feel, in this particular case, maybe you could have widened your scope a bit.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

I don’t know if “legendary” is the best way to describe a tenured coach.

I would save that word for coaches like Tierney, Petro, Danokowski, Roy Simmons, and Berkman.

He is a legend in the ODAC.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

I’ll give him ODAC legend but national not so much. D3 legends off the top of my head would be Berkman, and O’Hara. The stats you mentioned on PilAT are more about as I said earlier longevity. He was able to do that based on the south not having many options for lacrosse most of his career. I agree he’s had some legendary teams but not much as of late. Roanoke is definitely a storied program I would just hold off on the D3 legend part.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I'm not a Noke fan, but look at the company he keeps.
He doesn't get a lot of press, but his numbers say he should.
Perhaps it's for tenure. But no more than any of the other greats.

He's 9th in all time wins- Starsia, Pressler and Beville are just ahead of him. He might pass them this year. Crazy good names behind him.
He's 19th in win percentage at right around .695 Edell, Beville and Adams, Raba, Dailey are ahead of him. Barring a meltdown, he will likely pass them this year or next.
He had some very good Roanoke teams. The 90s and 00 Noke teams I remember were scary good. Complete teams. Like Jancyk, If it weren't for Salisbury, he might have a few titles too.

Interesting list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... h_250_wins
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:16 pm I'm not a Noke fan, but look at the company he keeps.
He doesn't get a lot of press, but his numbers say he should.
Perhaps it's for tenure. But no more than any of the other greats.

He's 9th in all time wins- Starsia, Pressler and Beville are just ahead of him. He might pass them this year. Crazy good names behind him.
He's 19th in win percentage at right around .695 Edell, Beville and Adams, Raba, Dailey are ahead of him. Barring a meltdown, he will likely pass them this year or next.
He had some very good Roanoke teams. The 90s and 00 Noke teams I remember were scary good. Complete teams. Like Jancyk, If it weren't for Salisbury, he might have a few titles too.

Interesting list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... h_250_wins
Couldn't agree more. Pilat aptly characterized those early 2000's teams as 1b. They were phenomenal rosters top to bottom. Mason. Keating. Bonasera. Mandalon. Murderers row. Fun to watch. That 2005 semifinal was beautiful. Just so many athletic, highlight worthy plays. Fast break goals. 1v1 saves. A treat.
richard

Post by richard »

2006 in Salisbury was the best game any time any place that I have ever watched. Talent all over the field. Roanoke would have beaten Cortland in the finals. They matched up better than Salisbury did. But Salisbury matched up better against them. Still it was an OT game. I’ve never seen three teams and two games played so well as the Noke Salisbury semi and the Salisbury Cortland final. 1A, B, and C.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Pilat is legendary in the ODAC for sure. I feel he is very well respected nationally including all levels of lacrosse. The simple fact is only a handful of coaches ever have put together a resume like his. While his teams lately have not been as good as in the past, they are still competitive. Longevity counts.
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

JustOneTime wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:56 am Pilat is legendary in the ODAC for sure. I feel he is very well respected nationally including all levels of lacrosse. The simple fact is only a handful of coaches ever have put together a resume like his. While his teams lately have not been as good as in the past, they are still competitive. Longevity counts.
He is a legendary goalie coach, not a legendary lacrosse coach. Roanoke will not be returning to former glory any time soon.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Schedule is up: https://roanokemaroons.com/sports/mens- ... e/schedule. First game: February 14th.

Putting aside the important ODAC games at the end of the season, the true test of the schedule is Feb. 28th-March 20th when Roanoke plays Grove, Dickinson (neutral site at Bullis), Wesleyan (neutral site at Lacrosse Hall of Fame), F&M and Centre College in succession.

Should be a fun season.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Congrats to the new Roanoke SID, my man Mike Carpenter. He had to deal with supervising and training me for four years as an intern and then graduate assistant when we were both at Lynchburg.

https://roanokemaroons.com/news/2023/12 ... tions.aspx
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

I would say legendary coach. He ranks very high in all time wins and winning percentages..
http://fs.ncaa.org.s3.amazonaws.com/Doc ... oaches.pdf
ODACtionEmpire

Post by ODACtionEmpire »

Roster is up

https://roanokemaroons.com/sports/mens- ... t=position

49 total. Solid number, cross your fingers and pray no one gets hurt and the Maroons should be in a great place. Some Attackmen listed as A/M which makes sense at this roster size.

Only position that was interesting on depth is Goalie. Yes you have Feuer returning and Lewis as a Senior, but then just the one Freshman. Could've sworn I saw at least 4 throughout the fall social media posts, not sure if one was cut. Either way, the Fr will get plenty of time in practice to develop.

Anyone going to the scrimmage this Saturday vs Essex?
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I do like how they get kids from all over the country. I think the face off unit is where the problem will be. I hope I'm wrong. The midfield is another concern, lack of size and depth last year was an issue. They did not have a consistent big outside shooter to take some pressure off the attack.
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

Agreed, Kammerman needs some help.
laxgeek37

Post by laxgeek37 »

laxrules wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:10 am I would say legendary coach. He ranks very high in all time wins and winning percentages..
http://fs.ncaa.org.s3.amazonaws.com/Doc ... oaches.pdf
!!
LILaxGuy08

Post by LILaxGuy08 »

JustOneTime wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:36 am I do like how they get kids from all over the country. I think the face off unit is where the problem will be. I hope I'm wrong. The midfield is another concern, lack of size and depth last year was an issue. They did not have a consistent big outside shooter to take some pressure off the attack.
Midfield? All these guys are returning (5 guys averaging almost a goal a game):

Docking 26,7
Goad 26,3
Evans 19,3
Kennedy 16,4
Cuomo 15,5
Albertson 12,5

Defense, FO, and goalie were inconsistent last year. Don't think they graduate much so hopefully another year for those units to gel.

Kammerman, Kammerman, Whitlow is an insane attack line to defend. Excited to see how Roanoke responds this year.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

They are trending upwards but they still have not beat a really good team in quite some time. They need to put together a complete game against a big time opponent. I'm not sure if its psychological at this point. If they can get a few early season wins over good opponents then it will give them the confidence to beat a W&L or Lynchburg.
KnowingWizardofODAC

Post by KnowingWizardofODAC »

It’s about time we mention that Ethan Caldwell walked so the Kammermans could run. This whole “first team All American” bs is getting ridiculous, talk to me when he starts to win the big games.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”