Northwestern "Hard Times"

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Northwestern "Hard Times"

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ultravisitor wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:15 am
Sycamore wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:23 am Kept waiting for the Scane and Coykendall interviews. Kinda weird there was so little on them specifically. Overall enjoyed it.
I like that they didn't put much focus on those two and think it was likely intentional in order to show that Northwestern and its success is about more than just those two.
Yup, I had the same thought -- showing that the success is a broad-based phenomenon. I think I will just go watch the 2022 semifinal today....
DMac

Post by DMac »

Was surprised to not see Katrina Dowd in there anywhere.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

DMac wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:29 am
watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:55 am Re: Shorts ... the players HATE the shorts. Bottom line is that the skirts are more comfortable, especially with all the new tech in fabrics/design. NW is one of the few teams in NCAA that wears shorts for field hockey too. Different strokes.
Glad to hear that. The guy in the video says KAH said something along the lines of wanting her players to look like mlaxers, they're as tough and this and that, so she put 'em in shorts like the boys wear. Got nothing against KAH but that's BS and I don't buy it. Watch a few wlax games and you recognize that these are tough, very competitive, gals who play this game and you don't feel that way because of what they're wearing. Hate shorts on the wlaxers, the skirts add a real nice touch. Skirts put the W in wlax, ditch the shorts!!!
TM took this approach with him. Hopkins switched from skirts to shorts last year.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

hmmm wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:09 am
watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:55 am Re: Shorts ... the players HATE the shorts. Bottom line is that the skirts are more comfortable, especially with all the new tech in fabrics/design. NW is one of the few teams in NCAA that wears shorts for field hockey too. Different strokes.
Glad to hear that. The guy in the video says KAH said something along the lines of wanting her players to look like mlaxers, they're as tough and this and that, so she put 'em in shorts like the boys wear. Got nothing against KAH but that's BS and I don't buy it. Watch a few wlax games and you recognize that these are tough, very competitive, gals who play this game and you don't feel that way because of what they're wearing. Hate shorts on the wlaxers, the skirts add a real nice touch. Skirts put the W in wlax, ditch the shorts!!!
TM took this approach with him. Hopkins switched from skirts to shorts last year.
Do the players get a say in what they prefer? I don't understand arbitrary changes like that.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:31 am
Do the players get a say in what they prefer? I don't understand arbitrary changes like that.
It's a KAH coaching tree-thing ... Stanford, USC, Dartmouth, Colorado, ASU (under TM ... wonder if the new leadership brought back the skirts?), Hopkins. And as stated earlier in this thread, the players HATE the shorts.
OuttaNowhereWregget

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:43 am
It's a KAH coaching tree-thing ... Stanford, USC, Dartmouth, Colorado, ASU (under TM ... wonder if the new leadership brought back the skirts?), Hopkins. And as stated earlier in this thread, the players HATE the shorts.
I don't get the rationale. If the players prefer the freer range of movement skirts afford, why would a coach just make that change?
OuttaNowhereWregget

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:43 am
Looks like they did: (swipe to 2nd picture)

https://www.instagram.com/p/C15R_nfSIOr ... 0wczlmNw==
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

A lot of the high schools have gone to shorts for their girls' lacrosse uniforms and they're pretty universally hated (especially the schools that stupidly buy boys' shorts for the girls' uniforms). Shorts seem to either be so short as to be borderline indecent (forcing players to wear compression shorts underneath anyways) or they're too long and bind uncomfortably on the thigh for players with a more athletic build.

Our daughter's club team does shorts for fall and skirts for summer, and even though the shorts length is pretty good and they're in a women's cut, most girls still prefer the skirt.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

My daughters (college players) and all of their friends prefer shorts. Skirts can actually be more limiting, not freer. Any time it comes up in conversation among the kids, I never hear the girls say they prefer a skirt.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

My sample size is daughter's two top 25 D1 programs ... and her former HS teammates (also D1 players) who sympathized with her required uniform.
She was hopeful in her 5th year to get away from the shorts. Not in the cards, but her grad year exceeded all other expectations :lol:

I don't know a single HS program in the Philly area that has gone to shorts. NJ Bill watches a lot more HS lax than I do though, all across the mid-Atlantic and NE, so maybe he can comment on this trend prior to college.

(I can say as a former player, the "kilt" was always much more comfortable ... even with itchy "bloomers" underneath. IYKYN.)
njbill

Post by njbill »

Can’t say I have noticed. I’ll modify my stat sheet this spring, however, to add a skirts/shorts category and will report back. If I remember, that is, which is quite unlikely. :?
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

My D24 definitely prefers skirts. Never has said she wished they wore shorts.
LuvLax

Post by LuvLax »

Sycamore wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:23 am Kept waiting for the Scane and Coykendall interviews. Kinda weird there was so little on them specifically. Overall enjoyed it.
Here is a good video of Izzy in her rehab year.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LuvLax wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:34 pm
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:44 am Was surprised to not see Katrina Dowd in there anywhere.
I wasn’t. Love “Ms. May”, but she was part of the last dynasty. This was about the current generation.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:57 pm
LuvLax wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:34 pm
Izzy and Coykendall deservedly received lots of attention during the season. There is also a video on Coykendall from earlier in the season and a video on Sammy White during that tourney.
LuvLax

Post by LuvLax »

Here is a fun one from last season - the 1st annual fastest shot completion - with Molly Laliberty behind the goal with a speed gun.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LuvLax wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:28 pm Here is a fun one from last season - the 1st annual fastest shot completion - with Molly Laliberty behind the goal with a speed gun.
Great feature. Molly Laliberty's insights and quips alone make it well worth the watch.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:42 pm
I don't know a single HS program in the Philly area that has gone to shorts. NJ Bill watches a lot more HS lax than I do though, all across the mid-Atlantic and NE, so maybe he can comment on this trend prior to college.

(I can say as a former player, the "kilt" was always much more comfortable ... even with itchy "bloomers" underneath. IYKYN.)
Do any major club programs wear a skirt? I honestly can’t think of one I’ve seen recently….it seems like all the clubs are shorts, most of the HSs and colleges are skirts. I’m still involved at the youth level and I’d say it’s 50/50 shorts v. skirts there. Our program is moving to shorts. It’s just easier and the girls seem to prefer it.

As for Nike Pros or spandex underneath, the girls are wearing those whether it’s shorts or a skirt.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

lax410 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:45 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:42 pm

Do any major club programs wear a skirt? I honestly can’t think of one I’ve seen recently….it seems like all the clubs are shorts, most of the HSs and colleges are skirts. I’m still involved at the youth level and I’d say it’s 50/50 shorts v. skirts there. Our program is moving to shorts. It’s just easier and the girls seem to prefer it.

As for Nike Pros or spandex underneath, the girls are wearing those whether it’s shorts or a skirt.
In this day and age I’m sure there are several wlax players that perhaps aren’t all that comfortable wearing a skirt…..

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”