Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Kismet

Re: Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

Post by Kismet »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:37 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:20 am Musk shines light on the Hopkins agenda:

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/174545576 ... mfE5ey8-Lw

The best response:

"Imagine the privilege of deciding who has privilege."
Musk is an eccentric genius, eccentric enough to get involved politically whether he wants to or not. IMO, he's also a national treasure. He's our eccentric genius.

Perhaps the fanlax Musk haters would prefer if he was a citizen of Moscow or Beijing :roll:
very smart, yes. Genius? Not so sure. :oops:
When I think of genius, Einstein comes to mind. Very low key, quiet and thoughtful....but, oh those thoughts :!: :!: :!: :!:

Fermi and Feynman in the same class. :idea: :idea:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:33 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:20 am Musk shines light on the Hopkins agenda:

The best response:

Musk is an eccentric genius, eccentric enough to get involved politically whether he wants to or not. IMO, he's also a national treasure. He's our eccentric genius.

Perhaps the fanlax Musk haters would prefer if he was a citizen of Moscow or Beijing :roll:
I don't think anyone, at least on here, hasn't acknowledged that "Musk is an eccentric genius". I'm not so sure what you mean by he's a "national treasure", and certainly don't understand by what you mean by "He's our eccentric genius". Do you simply mean he's an American citizen?

Does his being American make him immune from critique?

Are you questioning whether Musk "wants" "to get involved politically"? Pretty darn clear he "wants" to do so...we might argue over why he does, but it's not like he's not trying very, very hard to do so.
I think Musk buying Twitter is the extent of him getting involved politically.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:43 am

The best response:

I don't think anyone, at least on here, hasn't acknowledged that "Musk is an eccentric genius". I'm not so sure what you mean by he's a "national treasure", and certainly don't understand by what you mean by "He's our eccentric genius". Do you simply mean he's an American citizen?

Are you questioning whether Musk "wants" "to get involved politically"? Pretty darn clear he "wants" to do so...we might argue over why he does, but it's not like he's not trying very, very hard to do so.
Hope so. Waste of his talents.....but it's his life, not mine.

He took electric cars, and made them performance cars. Pretty amazing. My brother LOVES his Tesla.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:43 am

The best response:

Does he donate?

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2023/0 ... -politics/
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The best response:

... this women only speaks for the hospital, not the whole university. Musk was not the first to call her out.

As for Musk, he is a f*king idiot -- he speaks for himself and the MAGAats who love him. :roll: Does he speak for you??
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:33 am

The best response:

When I think of genius, Einstein comes to mind. Very low key, quiet and thoughtful....but, oh those thoughts :!: :!: :!: :!:

... Musk is not in the same class, not even close. His genius is not in science or engineering, it is more in marketing big ideas and talking a good game. Currently the only genius he is showing is for self destruction.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:18 pm

The best response:

... Musk is not in the same class, not even close. His genius is not in science or engineering, it is more in marketing big ideas and talking a good game. Currently the only genius he is showing is for self destruction.
To clarify - I was putting Fermi and Feynman in a class with Einstein not Musk.

Elon is not in the same universe as the other three.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The best response:

Self destruction how? According to what standard?

Money-wise, I can buy your argument that X has lost money since his purchase. But X is still a major platform with half a billion users. Advertisers can protest all they want. They will likely come back or be replaced by others who want access ot that many impressions. And his goal is to make it like other apps that allow voice, face, text and payment features. So who knows.

If you mean self destruction for another reason, I'd be interested to hear your take.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:25 pm

The best response:

To clarify - I was putting Fermi and Feynman in a class with Einstein not Musk.

Elon is not in the same universe as the other three.
... I totally recognized that. You want to compare him to someone, compare him to Steve Jobs or Henry Ford, there is a common set of talents there.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:46 pm

The best response:

Money-wise, I can buy your argument that X has lost money since his purchase. But X is still a major platform with half a billion users. Advertisers can protest all they want. They will likely come back or be replaced by others who want access ot that many impressions. And his goal is to make it like other apps that allow voice, face, text and payment features. So who knows. -- this could have been done without losing market share and cutting company valuation in half. Hardly a genius move.

If you mean self destruction for another reason, I'd be interested to hear your take.
Twitter is being driven into the ground, renaming it will not save it. His Gravity Loop company has failed. Tesla is losing market share and has some significant technology problems, needless in my opinion. He over promised and under delivered on Tesla. No need for a self driving feature to sell cars. The competition has caught him while he dicked around with self driving. Rivan is now the #1 selling electric vehicle maker. All the major auto manufacturers are in the business and currently demand is down for EVs. Tesla is overvalued IMO and will be corrected downwards. That leaves Space X. Which seems to be doing ok currently, although it is keeping body and soul together by sucking on the government teat. The internet access business. I don't know if it is currently profitable or not, I suspect not, but hard to tell. His internet access business does have a problem however. All the low orbiting satellites are considered "useless space junk" by many many folks in the technology world. It is causing earth based observatories problems and the problems are growing as the number of satellites grow. Will be interesting to see what happens when DOD gets tired of living with this clutter. Unless Musk built in the capability to remotely de-orbit these things, we are facing a very large cleanup cost when these things are no longer needed.

While all this goes on Musk spends his time offending -- intentionally, as many people as he possibly can.
Typical Lax Dad

The best response:

Money-wise, I can buy your argument that X has lost money since his purchase. But X is still a major platform with half a billion users. Advertisers can protest all they want. They will likely come back or be replaced by others who want access ot that many impressions. And his goal is to make it like other apps that allow voice, face, text and payment features. So who knows.

How much value has the site formerly named Twitter has lost? I heard the debt could get a 30 bid…maybe.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

The best response:

Einstein & Fermi, sheesh!... talk about an anachronism. Both incredible minds no doubt but you need to consider the time periods they lived/operated in as compared to Musk.

Who's to say that in today's social media scene Einstein wouldn't be some sort of cultural/political influencer aside from his main interests. And who's to say Musk wouldn't have flourished in an earlier "very low key, quiet and thoughtful" environment?

Suggest you rethink...
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I know precious little about the guy. I just really hate some of the changes he's made to Twitter since he bought it. Changing the name and the cute little blue bird to a black X. Changing some of the terminology. I was told by a friend who's more well read than I that one of his children has an X in their name which could be a reason for the name change. Just stuff like that. Seems unnecessarily meddlesome and egotistical to me. I'm sure he pissed off a lot of folks besides me with that schidt.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:02 am I know precious little about the guy. I just really hate some of the changes he's made to Twitter since he bought it. Changing the name and the cute little blue bird to a black X. Changing some of the terminology. I was told by a friend who's more well read than I that one of his children has an X in their name which could be a reason for the name change. Just stuff like that. Seems unnecessarily meddlesome and egotistical to me. I'm sure he ticked off a lot of folks besides me with that schidt.
I chuckle at every clarification that comes across from every post on X...formerly know as twitter...😏 I would think that most people have figured that out by now.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:42 pm

The best response:

Money-wise, I can buy your argument that X has lost money since his purchase. But X is still a major platform with half a billion users. Advertisers can protest all they want. They will likely come back or be replaced by others who want access ot that many impressions. And his goal is to make it like other apps that allow voice, face, text and payment features. So who knows. -- this could have been done without losing market share and cutting company valuation in half. Hardly a genius move.

Twitter is being driven into the ground, renaming it will not save it. His Gravity Loop company has failed. Tesla is losing market share and has some significant technology problems, needless in my opinion. He over promised and under delivered on Tesla. No need for a self driving feature to sell cars. The competition has caught him while he dicked around with self driving. Rivan is now the #1 selling electric vehicle maker. All the major auto manufacturers are in the business and currently demand is down for EVs. Tesla is overvalued IMO and will be corrected downwards. That leaves Space X. Which seems to be doing ok currently, although it is keeping body and soul together by sucking on the government teat. The internet access business. I don't know if it is currently profitable or not, I suspect not, but hard to tell. His internet access business does have a problem however. All the low orbiting satellites are considered "useless space junk" by many many folks in the technology world. It is causing earth based observatories problems and the problems are growing as the number of satellites grow. Will be interesting to see what happens when DOD gets tired of living with this clutter. Unless Musk built in the capability to remotely de-orbit these things, we are facing a very large cleanup cost when these things are no longer needed.

While all this goes on Musk spends his time offending -- intentionally, as many people as he possibly can.
I'm assuming you are suggesting that any strong political opinion is offensive?

Because much of what Musk is spouting is just as offensive, divisive, and stupid to the other half of the nation as what the Hopkins DEI officer originally posted.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:23 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:02 am I know precious little about the guy. I just really hate some of the changes he's made to Twitter since he bought it. Changing the name and the cute little blue bird to a black X. Changing some of the terminology. I was told by a friend who's more well read than I that one of his children has an X in their name which could be a reason for the name change. Just stuff like that. Seems unnecessarily meddlesome and egotistical to me. I'm sure he ticked off a lot of folks besides me with that schidt.
I chuckle at every clarification that comes across from every post on X...formerly know as twitter...😏 I would think that most people have figured that out by now.
I was trying to figure that one out too. It's hard to reference something that's just one letter.

My personal thought as someone who went through a few rebrands, is that he kinda did it backwards- He chose to make the change sooner rather than get his act together, and wait for a good opportunity. He rebranded and then made changes. Usually it's the other way with a rollout. You rebrand and unveil a new pillar or feature. The rebrand unleashes something all-new. But he really wanted to let people know the old twitter was dead.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:25 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:23 am
I was trying to figure that one out too. It's hard to reference something that's just one letter.

My personal thought as someone who went through a few rebrands, is that he kinda did it backwards- He chose to make the change sooner rather than get his act together, and wait for a good opportunity. He rebranded and then made changes. Usually it's the other way with a rollout. You rebrand and unveil a new pillar or feature. The rebrand unleashes something all-new. But he really wanted to let people know the old twitter was dead.
As well as the Site Formerly Known as Twitter. I told anyone that would listen that it was a stupid deal, but what do I know……
Typical Lax Dad

>> X, the company formerly known as Twitter, handed out stock grants to employees on Monday that showed it was worth about $19 billion, down about 55 percent from the $44 billion that Elon Musk paid to buy the firm a year ago, according to internal documents seen by The New York Times.

Mr. Musk paid $54.20 a share to buy Twitter just over a year ago. The tech billionaire has since said he overpaid for the social network. In March, he wrote in an email to workers that he believed the company was worth $20 billion, calling it “an inverse start-up.” <<
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:13 am

The best response:

Because much of what Musk is spouting is just as offensive, divisive, and stupid to the other half of the nation as what the Hopkins DEI officer originally posted.
... the Hopkins Medicine lady is not running a handful of companies with stockholders and boards. The question asked is why I see Musk as having a talent for self-destruction. I don't think the Hopkins Medicine lady is going to have much impact outside herself.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:56 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:13 am

The best response:

... the Hopkins Medicine lady is not running a handful of companies with stockholders and boards. The question asked is why I see Musk as having a talent for self-destruction. I don't think the Hopkins Medicine lady is going to have much impact outside herself.
Just had the same conversation yesterday with a buddy that talked about this making the neighborhood message boards in Baltimore.

Return to “POLITICS”