WLax coverage

D1 Womens Lacrosse
UnbiasedObserver

WLax coverage

Post by UnbiasedObserver »

Does anyone else get annoyed about the lack of coverage/bias Wlax gets from Inside Lacrosse? It could just be me but I feel like they only write about the same teams and never do meaningful analysis across the board. I understand that is how you genrate clicks outside of the people who follow it closly but, every piece is about the same teams, players, and recruits. Feels like there is alot that gets left out. Would love to get other opinions!
wlaxphan20

Re: WLax coverage

Post by wlaxphan20 »

UnbiasedObserver wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:31 pm Does anyone else get annoyed about the lack of coverage/bias Wlax gets from Inside Lacrosse? It could just be me but I feel like they only write about the same teams and never do meaningful analysis across the board. I understand that is how you genrate clicks outside of the people who follow it closly but, every piece is about the same teams, players, and recruits. Feels like there is alot that gets left out. Would love to get other opinions!
You're not alone. It used to bother me a lot more, but I've learned to let a lot of that go over the years. I suspect it's a combination of a lack of resources/funding & lack of effort. They have put out some really good pieces here and there, but sometimes it feels like they are publishing articles just to publish them (the same could be said for US Lacrosse Magazine & sports journalism in general - a lot of content for the sake of content). IMO Inside Lacrosse has actually really increased their coverage of the women's game (particularly D2 & D3) over the last few years from almost nothing to just a little bit, but the amount of men's content vs women's at Inside Lacrosse is still very one-sided.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes, and they should know....well, better said by this unlikely duo, I suppose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaB9F3R9cIY
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

UnbiasedObserver wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:31 pm Does anyone else get annoyed about the lack of coverage/bias Wlax gets from Inside Lacrosse? It could just be me but I feel like they only write about the same teams and never do meaningful analysis across the board. I understand that is how you genrate clicks outside of the people who follow it closly but, every piece is about the same teams, players, and recruits. Feels like there is alot that gets left out. Would love to get other opinions!
I stopped reading IL Women and USA Lacrosse Magazine a long time ago for the reasons you cite. I have to give those publications credit on one front, however--they crank out content day after day after day. Not easy to do. Both publications have some good writers who will on occasion produce compelling articles. Most of what gets produced is fluff however. Pom-pom waving Grow-the-Gamers. Gets old quick. I've found that Twitter has some folks who write about lacrosse. This site (Fanlax) attracts some good writers as well.

Another problem I find is that the sport often isn't showcased very well. I'll watch any two teams play each other in women's D1 lacrosse, if the camerawork and broadcast production is decent. Perfect example here:

If the production quality improves, I believe more will be written about the sport. Most non major, if you will, conferences don't showcase their teams the way America East did here.

I'd suggest you keep looking and digging and exploring. You'll find more content about the other conferences, but it will have to be a labor of love to find it. Try opening Twitter and Instagram accounts and follow all the teams you'd like to know more about. On occasion, they'll link to stories/articles about their players/teams. Happy searching!
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Sara Falk is a player. I think Rachel Clarke could lead the country in scoring at BC this year. Falk put on a show to beat Clarke and Virginia last year in the first round of playoffs. Go watch the highlights of her running through the Virginia defense for something like 7 goals. Could Falk have a Rhatigan effect at Florida, I hope she does. Not saying natty, but it's great to see women have success that may have been overlooked during recruiting.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:35 am Sara Falk is a player. I think Rachel Clarke could lead the country in scoring at BC this year. Falk put on a show to beat Clarke and Virginia last year in the first round of playoffs. Go watch the highlights of her running through the Virginia defense for something like 7 goals. Could Falk have a Rhatigan effect at Florida, I hope she does. Not saying natty, but it's great to see women have success that may have been overlooked during recruiting.
Idk. UVA was a very flawed team last year, especially on defense. Against top 25-30 teams last year she struggled.
1G 0A against Hopkins
0G 0A against Syracuse
1G 0A against Stanford
2G 0A against UConn
4G 0A against Northwestern(2 of the goals were after it was 17-8)
4G 0 A against Denver(she did score 3 goals in a 4 minute span in the first quarter to keep it close but only one goal in a close game the rest of the way)

As you can see from the assist stats, she's not a playmaker. LoPinto is gone and was their QB.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:35 am Sara Falk is a player. I think Rachel Clarke could lead the country in scoring at BC this year. Falk put on a show to beat Clarke and Virginia last year in the first round of playoffs. Go watch the highlights of her running through the Virginia defense for something like 7 goals. Could Falk have a Rhatigan effect at Florida, I hope she does. Not saying natty, but it's great to see women have success that may have been overlooked during recruiting.
Absolutely. Agreed on all. That was an amazing performance. She scored all 7 of her goals in the 2nd half to fuel a fantastic come from behind victory.

https://ualbanysports.com/sports/womens ... score/8806
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Now I have to go look up stats to see if I said something off base.

I said Falk could have a Rhatigan effect. Both are similiar players from the eye test other than righty vs lefty. They are both great athletes with top end speed. Rhatigan had 62G 11A for 73 points on the year. Third leading scorer on NU, she is a finisher, far from the lead dog. Falk had 72G 6 A for 78 points last year. Leading goal scorer for Albany. K Pascal was America East player of the year and their top player, the lead dog for Albany(get it lead dog for the Great Danes hahaha).

I saw the Virginia game and Falk ran through the defense and put on a show. She looks like a NU player, hense the Rhatigan comparison. I hope she does well at Florida, never said that she will be a captain for Florida.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

It's a lot better now than it used to be..not saying that it can't improve.Terry Foy is a good guy and i think he's aware of this and has tried to increase coverage for women but i'm pretty sure they barely get by as is financially as a company. They have a really small full time staff and often resort to hiring freelance writers to cover some events and write random pieces here and there. Recruiting is the big money maker for them and they dump a lot of their resources into that. Even with recruiting they can still do more, there are a lot of interesting aspects of it, alot that we discuss here tha hey can tap into. But i don't think they have the manpower.

I found that USA Lacrosse Magazine does a much better job with their articles covering a variety of topics on and off the field as they are more of a news based publication and don't really cover recruiting.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:51 am Now I have to go look up stats to see if I said something off base.

I said Falk could have a Rhatigan effect. Both are similiar players from the eye test other than righty vs lefty. They are both great athletes with top end speed. Rhatigan had 62G 11A for 73 points on the year. Third leading scorer on NU, she is a finisher, far from the lead dog. Falk had 72G 6 A for 78 points last year. Leading goal scorer for Albany. K Pascal was America East player of the year and their top player, the lead dog for Albany(get it lead dog for the Great Danes hahaha).

I saw the Virginia game and Falk ran through the defense and put on a show. She looks like a NU player, hense the Rhatigan comparison. I hope she does well at Florida, never said that she will be a captain for Florida.
Not saying Falk isn't a good player and won't have a good season at UF. Hailey had 93G and 28A her last year at Mercer. That's 43 more points on the season compared to Falk. Quite a difference.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:51 am Now I have to go look up stats to see if I said something off base.

Here's one of Falk's 7 goals in the 2nd half. Sarah had in that game what was one of the great individual performances in the 2023 Tournament. I hope she thrives down Florida way next season.

user1020

Post by user1020 »

hmmm wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:23 am
Idk. UVA was a very flawed team last year, especially on defense. Against top 25-30 teams last year she struggled.
1G 0A against Hopkins
0G 0A against Syracuse
1G 0A against Stanford
2G 0A against UConn
4G 0A against Northwestern(2 of the goals were after it was 17-8)
4G 0 A against Denver(she did score 3 goals in a 4 minute span in the first quarter to keep it close but only one goal in a close game the rest of the way)

As you can see from the assist stats, she's not a playmaker. LoPinto is gone and was their QB.
It will be interesting to see how Falk does. She may improve on her stats as she will be playing with better players, but we will see. She caught my attention in the UVA game as she was unstoppable. He stats against top teams when at Albany are a little inconsistent but we will see what happens. I wish her the best because she plays very pretty lacrosse. As for Floridas playmaker… I think they will have to rely on Maggi Hall (47g 36a) last year, she had more assists then LoPinto and will probably quarterback this offense this year. FL also needs a 2022 season from Danielle Pavinelli and not last years totals, her goal total dropped from 73 to 47.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Thank you Outta for that Falk highlight. I'm more impressed watching it today. That's a clutch goal, up 2 with 5 minutes left in the game! High level play to split that double team and put the game away in the biggest game of her life.

I will use the highlight to be critical of Virginia. So they are down 2 and getting torched by Falk all night. They are face guarding 23 (Pascal)???? I know she is a playmaker, but basic elementary coaching is you make anyone but the girl with 6 goals beat you on a night like that. Bad coaching decision.

I see Falk didn't score in high numbers against every opponent like everyone else not named Scane. She had 4 against Northwestern and Denver, anyone else do that last year??
DMac

Post by DMac »

Megan Carney had 4 v Northwestern.....Cuse didn't play Denver.
She woulda had 5 against them had they played though.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

DMac is comparing Carney to Falk, that just confirms my comment that she is a player. Not saying she is the best player on Florida, just having fun with this thread.

Jill Smith had 4G against NU and 3G vs Denver. Closest to 4G against both teams, they had several common games against the best in the country.

Here are the 4 players that had 4G+ against Denver this year - Rudy 4G (Colo), Falk 4G (Alb), Scane 6G (NU), Rhatigan 4G (NU) Great to see Rhatigan had 4G against Denver since this whole thread started by me saying it would be great for Falk to have a Rhatigan effect on Florida.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Actually, I wasn't comparing anybody to anybody, was just answering the question. I didn't see Florida/Falk play very much last year so I'm not too familiar with them/her. Didn't see Denver play much either but I thought the hype machine was a little over the top with them, kind of figured when they ran into some stiffer competition they weren't going to be undefeated anymore. Northwestern didn't have a whole lot of trouble with them and I don't believe Cuse would have either. Two very potent offenses, just not seeing them shutting that Cuse O down. We'll never know.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxdadpat wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:31 am Thank you Outta for that Falk highlight. I'm more impressed watching it today. That's a clutch goal, up 2 with 5 minutes left in the game! High level play to split that double team and put the game away in the biggest game of her life.

I will use the highlight to be critical of Virginia. So they are down 2 and getting torched by Falk all night. They are face guarding 23 (Pascal)???? I know she is a playmaker, but basic elementary coaching is you make anyone but the girl with 6 goals beat you on a night like that. Bad coaching decision.

I see Falk didn't score in high numbers against every opponent like everyone else not named Scane. She had 4 against Northwestern and Denver, anyone else do that last year??
You're most welcome. Her performance in that game was electrifying. One of the highlights of the whole show last Tournament. I'm sure this goes down as an all-time great win for the program.

You got me thinking and looking:

Boston College
Marquette
Vanderbilt
Michigan
North Carolina
Stanford
Albany
Ohio Stata
Maryland

Remarkable how many common opponents these two teams from two different conferences played. You gave me a nifty research project.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxdadpat wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:31 am I see Falk didn't score in high numbers against every opponent like everyone else not named Scane. She had 4 against Northwestern and Denver, anyone else do that last year??
Jill Smith also scored 4 against both, I found out. In Michigan's Big 10 seminal loss vs NU.

She's a powerhouse. Looking forward to seeing her play in ’24.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

laxdadpat wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:31 am Thank you Outta for that Falk highlight. I'm more impressed watching it today. That's a clutch goal, up 2 with 5 minutes left in the game! High level play to split that double team and put the game away in the biggest game of her life.

UVA defensive coaching last year was very poor. They had some strong 1 v 1 defenders, but lacked a cohesive defensive scheme. Why they chose not to play zone earlier to slow Falk down once she had 3 goals is mystifying—or switch up the matchup on Falk…. In any event, they have an entirely new coaching staff this year and I would expect to see them with a completely different defensive scheme….

But I don’t want to take anything away from falks performance in the second half, which was extraordinary notwithstanding the poor execution by uva…
I personally can’t remember seeing anyone score 7 goals in a half in game against a top 20 opponent….
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

UVA defensive coaching last year was very poor. They had some strong 1 v 1 defenders, but lacked a cohesive defensive scheme. Why they chose not to play zone earlier to slow Falk down once she had 3 goals is mystifying—or switch up the matchup on Falk…. In any event, they have an entirely new coaching staff this year and I would expect to see them with a completely different defensive scheme….

But I don’t want to take anything away from falks performance in the second half, which was extraordinary notwithstanding the poor execution by uva…
I personally can’t remember seeing anyone score 7 goals in a half in game against a top 20 opponent….

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”