Northwestern "Hard Times"

D1 Womens Lacrosse
spidey44

Northwestern "Hard Times"

Post by spidey44 »

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. Started watching this yesterday. Good primer for the 24 season!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAkmy6vk8qE
laxguy516

Re: Northwestern "Hard Times"

Post by laxguy516 »

watched it the other day, awesome!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I watched it. I liked it a lot. I thought what Molly Laliberty shared was the best part of the documentary. She talked about how she felt in her first D1 game in the Dome versus Syracuse. She said it all kind of hit her, (I'm paraphrasing here) and she thought to herself "Oh chit – what did I get myself into?" Those kinds of admissions from players are priceless. What a welcome departure from your typical canned sports statements. I wish they had done more year-by-year rundowns. With an hour and a half running time, they certainly had opportunity enough. I thought at times they devoted too much attention to certain aspects while neglecting others. Coach Kelly's candid looks into her thinking process were also compelling.

On the whole I think it is well worth watching for any women's lacrosse fan. A lot of what got covered is universal to the sport and the players. I highly recommend it.

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:32 am I watched it. I liked it a lot. I thought what Molly Laliberty shared was the best part of the documentary. She talked about how she felt in her first D1 game in the Dome versus Syracuse. She said it all kind of hit her, (I'm paraphrasing here) and she thought to herself "Oh chit – what did I get myself into?" Those kinds of admissions from players are priceless. What a welcome departure from your typical canned sports statements. I wish they had done more year-by-year rundowns. With an hour and a half running time, they certainly had opportunity enough. I thought at times they devoted too much attention to certain aspects while neglecting others. Coach Kelly's candid looks into her thinking process were also compelling.

On the whole I think it is well worth watching for any women's lacrosse fan. A lot of what got covered is universal to the sport and the players. I highly recommend it.

"There's no shot that that would happen."
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:48 am "There's no shot that that would happen."
Who are you quoting, Sea?

(If it wasn't for the quotation marks, I would swear this is you sharing the odds that you would ever watch this. We know what a huge fan you are.) lol
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:18 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:48 am "There's no shot that that would happen."

(If it wasn't for the quotation marks, I would swear this is you sharing the odds that you would ever watch this. We know what a huge fan you are.) lol
I am quoting the transfer from Tufts, who says this near the beginning of the video.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:26 pm

I am quoting the transfer from Tufts, who says this near the beginning of the video.
Oh, right! Forgot about that. Her low estimation of herself made her more admirable. Interesting that Carolina and Florida were also vying for her services.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:35 pm

Oh, right! Forgot about that. Her low estimation of herself made her more admirable. Interesting that Carolina and Florida were also vying for her services.
Florida is odd. They still had Reznick last year.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:02 pm

Florida is odd. They still had Reznick last year.
Yeah--hadn't thought of that. Interesting.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

I thought that Hailey Rhatigan was the one who said that she was also considering UNC and Florida. (I did read last year that both Rhatigan and Laliberty were considering UNC along with Northwestern.)
OuttaNowhereWregget

ultravisitor wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:30 pm I thought that Hailey Rhatigan was the one who said that she was also considering UNC and Florida. (I did read last year that both Rhatigan and Laliberty were considering UNC along with Northwestern.)
Very well could have been. I wouldn't put it past me to confuse a detail like that.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Rewatching the beginning of this to see which player chose between Northwestern, Carolina and Florida. It was indeed Hailey Rhatigan. ultravisitor is correct. And hmmm also noticed the discrepancy.

In the process it is remarkable to consider that Kelly Amonte Hiller at 25 years of age, took a brand new (in a sense, as there was an earlier edition from 1982-1993 when they disbanded) program in 2002 and won a national championship in 4 years. And not so you'd really notice it, recruited players to a team hundreds of miles away from the hotbeds. And then to have gone a decade in between to come back and win another one? Who else has done that? She stands alone. I'll take her over Timchal, Reese, and anyone else you got.

MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:59 pm Rewatching the beginning of this to see which player chose between Northwestern, Carolina and Florida. It was indeed Hailey Rhatigan. ultravisitor is correct. And hmmm also noticed the discrepancy.

In the process it is remarkable to consider that Kelly Amonte Hiller at 25 years of age, took a brand new (in a sense, as there was an earlier edition from 1982-1993 when they disbanded) program in 2002 and won a national championship in 4 years. And not so you'd really notice it, recruited players to a team hundreds of miles away from the hotbeds. And then to have gone a decade in between to come back and win another one? Who else has done that? She stands alone. I'll take her over Timchal, Reese, and anyone else you got.

With the location of Northwestern it’s really not shocking. Chicago is a lot of fun when you’re in college and you can get into so much in Evanston. I had a good friend that went there and lived in the area just out of college. When I visited him I was shocked how fun the area was, great location on the lake, lots of things to do, etc. the place was definitely hopping in the 2000’s.
OuttaNowhereWregget

MolonLaxe wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:45 pm With the location of Northwestern it’s really not shocking. Chicago is a lot of fun when you’re in college and you can get into so much in Evanston. I had a good friend that went there and lived in the area just out of college. When I visited him I was shocked how fun the area was, great location on the lake, lots of things to do, etc. the place was definitely hopping in the 2000’s.
I don't know if such things were kept track of back then, but I wonder how many of the "top rated recruits" wound up in the City of Broad Shoulders in the early years of Kelly's tenure.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't know how you make a better recruiting video than that, who wouldn't want to be a Wildcat wlaxer after watching that?
Just outstanding from A to Z....oh, 'cept for the shorts part.
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

Kept waiting for the Scane and Coykendall interviews. Kinda weird there was so little on them specifically. Overall enjoyed it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:09 pm 'cept for the shorts part.

I love that you keep bringing this up/won't let this go, D. I'm no different with certain issues. One of the things about sports talk that I love.

Great review on the documentary, too. I hadn't thought of the recruiting aspect. Good point.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:40 am
DMac wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:09 pm 'cept for the shorts part.

I love that you keep bringing this up/won't let this go, D. I'm no different with certain issues. One of the things about sports talk that I love.

Great review on the documentary, too. I hadn't thought of the recruiting aspect. Good point.
Re: Shorts ... the players HATE the shorts. Bottom line is that the skirts are more comfortable, especially with all the new tech in fabrics/design. NW is one of the few teams in NCAA that wears shorts for field hockey too. Different strokes.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Sycamore wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:23 am Kept waiting for the Scane and Coykendall interviews. Kinda weird there was so little on them specifically. Overall enjoyed it.
I like that they didn't put much focus on those two and think it was likely intentional in order to show that Northwestern and its success is about more than just those two.
DMac

Post by DMac »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:55 am Re: Shorts ... the players HATE the shorts. Bottom line is that the skirts are more comfortable, especially with all the new tech in fabrics/design. NW is one of the few teams in NCAA that wears shorts for field hockey too. Different strokes.
Glad to hear that. The guy in the video says KAH said something along the lines of wanting her players to look like mlaxers, they're as tough and this and that, so she put 'em in shorts like the boys wear. Got nothing against KAH but that's BS and I don't buy it. Watch a few wlax games and you recognize that these are tough, very competitive, gals who play this game and you don't feel that way because of what they're wearing. Hate shorts on the wlaxers, the skirts add a real nice touch. Skirts put the W in wlax, ditch the shorts!!!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”