Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

This is exactly what our country needs. Real education, not woke indoctrination. This is how you save the empire.

:lol: "Woke" is all of five minutes old. How do you explain DECADES of declining test scores in America.

How do you explain the fact that scores are WORSE in Conservative States that have NEVER taught "woke"?

But sure, libs are bad, and that's why America's education sucks for the bottom 50% earners.

YA or OS: want to wager on how much Musk spends per student if he actually does this?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:45 pm
This is exactly what our country needs. Real education, not woke indoctrination. This is how you save the empire.

:lol: "Woke" is all of five minutes old. How do you explain DECADES of declining test scores in America.

How do you explain the fact that scores are WORSE in Conservative States that have NEVER taught "woke"?

But sure, libs are bad, and that's why America's education sucks for the bottom 50% earners.

YA or OS: want to wager on how much Musk spends per student if he actually does this?
Not sure what your Woke comments are about. Merry sharing the news of Musk starting a school. And now your crapping on that. You on a a sugar crash this week? 😉😂
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:02 pm

Not sure what your Woke comments are about. Merry sharing the news of Musk starting a school. And now your crapping on that. You on a a sugar crash this week? 😉😂
I'm LITERALLY quoting the post YOU shared, my man. Right there, in italics.

I'm sh*tting on the POSTER, not Musk, and the stupid "woke" spin.

I hope he does this! This is a GREAT use of his curious mind and money.
a fan

Post by a fan »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:05 pm

Here's one everyone will dig:

https://www.koaa.com/news/covering-colo ... cRauR92Zw4
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:07 pm Here's one everyone will dig:

Home Ec, various shop classes and other basic skills never left the high school classrooms like older generations claim.

Parental responsibility has...

Ever wonder who started participation trophies?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:07 pm

... what I want to know is why does Musk lend his name to consumer scams like "StopWatt" and other power saver scams. It is something Trump would do. Endorse useless sh*t that robs the highly uninformed and poor.

Musk is just another Trump wanna be.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
tech37

Post by tech37 »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:47 pm

... what I want to know is why does Musk lend his name to consumer scams like "StopWatt" and other power saver scams. It is something Trump would do. Endorse useless sh*t that robs the highly uninformed and poor.

You could not possibly have typed this with a straight face :roll:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

A little commentary on Musk's suit against a critic:

https://view.newsletters.cnn.com/messag ... 0540221190

"What is Musk doing with his lawsuit against Media Matters?

Musk on Monday made good on his threat to file a lawsuit against the progressive media watchdog after lashing out over a report the group published last week showing that X had placed advertisements directly adjacent to neo-Nazi content. But Musk has effectively confirmed that the Media Matters report was accurate and that X did run ads against hateful content, which seems to take the teeth out of his complaint. "This lawsuit is riddled with legal flaws, and it is highly ironic that a platform that touts itself as a beacon of free speech would file a bogus case like this that flatly contradicts basic First Amendment principles and targets free speech by a critic," First Amendment attorney Ted Boutrous told me. "And in some ways it’s a dream come true for the people at Media Matters because it could allow them to use the litigation discovery process to force X to divulge all sorts of embarrassing, damaging private information that it would much rather keep secret." Angelo Carusone, the president of Media Matters, responded in a statement, "This is a frivolous lawsuit meant to bully X’s critics into silence. Media Matters stands behind its reporting and looks forward to winning in court."

The free speech palaver from this guy is complete bullsh*t.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:13 am A little commentary on Musk's suit against a critic:

Musk on Monday made good on his threat to file a lawsuit against the progressive media watchdog after lashing out over a report the group published last week showing that X had placed advertisements directly adjacent to neo-Nazi content. But Musk has effectively confirmed that the Media Matters report was accurate and that X did run ads against hateful content, which seems to take the teeth out of his complaint. "This lawsuit is riddled with legal flaws, and it is highly ironic that a platform that touts itself as a beacon of free speech would file a bogus case like this that flatly contradicts basic First Amendment principles and targets free speech by a critic," First Amendment attorney Ted Boutrous told me. "And in some ways it’s a dream come true for the people at Media Matters because it could allow them to use the litigation discovery process to force X to divulge all sorts of embarrassing, damaging private information that it would much rather keep secret." Angelo Carusone, the president of Media Matters, responded in a statement, "This is a frivolous lawsuit meant to bully X’s critics into silence. Media Matters stands behind its reporting and looks forward to winning in court."

Sorry Seacoaster, couldn't past the first paragraph. Such balanced, objective reporting...

Days after the billionaire conspiracy theorist endorsed an antisemitic post on his hate-drenched platform, X, there is mounting pressure for others to take additional action against the unhinged businessman.

Go ahead, blame me for being lazy, or not understanding. Truth is, I don't have time for this sort of rubbish.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:26 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:13 am A little commentary on Musk's suit against a critic:

Sorry Seacoaster, couldn't past the first paragraph. Such balanced, objective reporting...

Days after the billionaire conspiracy theorist endorsed an antisemitic post on his hate-drenched platform, X, there is mounting pressure for others to take additional action against the unhinged businessman.

Go ahead, blame me for being lazy, or not understanding. Truth is, I don't have time for this sort of rubbish.
No worries; you read what you want to read. I am not calling you lazy or anything like that. And I agree: the piece is plainly anti-Musk. But I do think the lawsuit against Media Matters is a tool by a rich content platform to squelch reporting by a media actor. And it'll fail.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:48 am
tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:26 am

No worries; you read what you want to read. I am not calling you lazy or anything like that. And I agree: the piece is plainly anti-Musk. But I do think the lawsuit against Media Matters is a tool by a rich content platform to squelch reporting by a media actor. And it'll fail.
Beyond the point of the hypocrisy of trying to shut down a critic's free (and apparently truthful) speech, the paragraph above refers to the jiu jitsu of opening Musk and X up to discovery.

Those points are independent from the obvious disdain for Musk and X by the author.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I know this is way off topic and meaningless in the vast configuration of things but I hope Musk is somehow embarrassed and/or humiliated in the end and in a fit of pique sells Twitter so we can have the Twitter name and little blue bird back. A friend of mine told me that he named one of his children a name that includes the letter X and that perhaps has something to do with why he changed the name. In any event, I'm rooting against him.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Musk is a bigger egomaniac than Trump and as big of a cry baby. This will ultimately be his downfall as a businessman. He needs to shut his mouth stay off of social media and start paying attention to his supposed businesses. Unlike Orange Duce, Musk has real stockholders and boards of directors. Both are tiring of him.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:04 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:47 pm

You could not possibly have typed this with a straight face :roll:
.... absolutely straight face. He sees Trump's behavior working for Trump, he wants some of that, his own cult, his own worshippers.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Musk shines light on the Hopkins agenda:

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/174545576 ... mfE5ey8-Lw

The best response:

"Imagine the privilege of deciding who has privilege."
tech37

Post by tech37 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:20 am Musk shines light on the Hopkins agenda:

The best response:

Musk is an eccentric genius, eccentric enough to get involved politically whether he wants to or not. IMO, he's also a national treasure. He's our eccentric genius.

Perhaps the fanlax Musk haters would prefer if he was a citizen of Moscow or Beijing :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:20 am Musk shines light on the Hopkins agenda:

The best response:

quite the twitter thread... ;) :lol: :roll:

I have mixed feelings about DEI, but then again I'm in a bunch of those buckets that I actually agree have some degree of "privilege", as defined, in American society. So, it's a bit scary to be labeled as having "privilege"; I think that gives me a little bit of empathy for those feelings. And I think DEI proponents who see themselves as needing to, paid to, confront their constituents on these issues in order to open their eyes to issues, can sometimes be tone deaf in their delivery, making those "scary" feelings worsen.

But other than "middle class" on that list, I do agree that there are various inherent advantages that have accrued historically, with legacy effects today at a minimum, for those various broad brush groups relative to the "non" obverses of each. Yup.

And there are lots of sincere efforts to work to balance those advantages, which I think ultimately benefit the productivity of our society. Some can feel uncomfortable.

For instance, when my white, Christian, Ivy League educated, cisgender athlete son gets told that he would have a harder time climbing the political and policy ladder in DC (as a Dem) than if he'd been "non" of multiple of those, it feels bad...shouldn't it be the best person? Of course it should, but are many of the best people only recently even on the list? The latter was his reaction (I just need to compete harder)...he eventually got his job on the Hill, vibing well with the former Hopkins football athlete CoS of a former Ivy League athlete man. Once he landed the job, he told me who it was with, turns out the Rep was a former lax teammate of mine, but that was never mentioned in the interview process, only later did the Rep realize the connection (He's now Governor of Delaware, great guy). Serendipitous world. But "privilege" can play a role in serendipity.

My son had a great experience and I have no doubt contributed at an excellent level, despite not being a multiple "non". Did "privilege" play a role in his getting that job? did privilege play a role in his being at an Ivy? Yup...probably so. On the other hand, he was the only staffer in the office who wasn't a "non" on at least one of those attributes...way fewer staffers today in Congress have his profile than 20 years ago...and on the GOP side, the Ivy background has become a big negative...yup, gonna be biased against Ivy grads despite lots of them in the actually politician ranks...

Bottomline, the world is a more competitive place today for those with "privilege". We need to compete harder than we used to, in order to achieve similar successes...but is that actually a problem? Or is it a good thing?

My son argues it's the latter. A welcome thing.

But it's a little scary for those of us who had more of an advantage, even if we didn't recognize it at the time.

On the middle class thing, seems to me that wealth is relative, so maybe he point is that versus lower economic strata, middle class background has significant advantages, but bigger "privilege" is seriously wealthy versus the mass...but middle class may be a proxy for living in a safe, secure environment with better schools, etc, so growing up in a middle class family is indeed a "privilege" that some in our society don't enjoy.

Seems to me that these are relative advantages to someone without them, and they typically cluster into something meaningful.

The next question is how to address them...IMO, making sure those without those advantages at a young age get a helping hand to have access to the opportunities our society affords; they then need to grasp that helping hand and make the most of it...and if that makes it all a more competitive society, all the better.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:37 am

The best response:

Musk is an eccentric genius, eccentric enough to get involved politically whether he wants to or not. IMO, he's also a national treasure. He's our eccentric genius.

Perhaps the fanlax Musk haters would prefer if he was a citizen of Moscow or Beijing :roll:
I don't think anyone, at least on here, hasn't acknowledged that "Musk is an eccentric genius". I'm not so sure what you mean by he's a "national treasure", and certainly don't understand by what you mean by "He's our eccentric genius". Do you simply mean he's an American citizen?

Does his being American make him immune from critique?

Are you questioning whether Musk "wants" "to get involved politically"? Pretty darn clear he "wants" to do so...we might argue over why he does, but it's not like he's not trying very, very hard to do so.

Return to “POLITICS”