Syracuse 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Womenslaxxfan

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

DMac wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:10 pm .....and there's not a coach in the country who wouldn't want her on their team. Three seconds into watching her in her freshman year and you knew this was a talented player who was going to be a difficult force to deal with, and she is. This never ending comparison of players, who is best, who is better, and blah, blah, blah, from the armchair critics is tiresome. Enjoy the beauty of the game and the level these talented players play it at. Season's right around the corner.
Baloney. That’s exactly what the forum is for. I said she’s a great player. Thought she should have won acc frosh of the year. But I was responding to an opinion that said she was essentially the third best player in the game. If you want to focus solely on the beauty of the game, then don’t participate in forums about teams, players, tewaarton race etc. And certainly stop telling other participants what they should find interesting.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

DMac wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:10 pm .....and there's not a coach in the country who wouldn't want her on their team. Three seconds into watching her in her freshman year and you knew this was a talented player who was going to be a difficult force to deal with, and she is. This never ending comparison of players, who is best, who is better, and blah, blah, blah, from the armchair critics is tiresome. Enjoy the beauty of the game and the level these talented players play it at. Season's right around the corner.
Baloney. That’s exactly what the forum is for. I said she’s a great player. Thought she should have won acc frosh of the year. But I was responding to an opinion that said she was essentially the third best player in the game. If you want to focus solely on the beauty of the game, then don’t participate in forums about teams, players, tewaarton race etc. And certainly stop telling other participants what they should find interesting.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Another thought I had about Emma Ward—in ’23 she scored 38 goals and 56 assists playing in the toughest conference in D1, against the toughest schedule in D1. That’s impressive given that she didn’t play the entire previous season. But numbers alone don’t tell her story—one has to see her play to truly appreciate her talent. She has weaknesses no doubt. Anyone can see that watching her play. But her strengths far outweigh her weaknesses.
SU-LAXAHOLIC

Post by SU-LAXAHOLIC »

I would have Ward as the number 2 offensive player in the game coming off a major injury as was Scane I think Ward has the ability to create her own shot better then Coykendall but it’s pretty much splitting hairs and I am most definitely bias. 2023 results really have no bearing on 2024 I am a Syracuse lacrosse fan so that is where my heart is if you feel differently awesome that’s why they play the games I have a lot of respect for other teams and their players. With that said I think this is Emma Ward’s team and could be her best season yet
DMac

Post by DMac »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:34 pm
My comment wasn't directed at you in particular although, granted, it looks that way inasmuch as it follows yours. Emma is essentially a one faceted player, she's an attacker with a phenomenal stick and great vision. To suggest that she's the best, 2nd best, 3rd best in the game is tunnel vision and shallow thinking, there's a lot she doesn't do and isn't expected to do.
I never told anybody what they should find interesting. Yup, the forum is for discussion which all too often turns into nit-picking criticism and exaggerated claims.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

DMac wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:05 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:34 pm
My comment wasn't directed at you in particular although, granted, it looks that way inasmuch as it follows yours. Emma is essentially a one faceted player, she's an attacker with a phenomenal stick and great vision. To suggest that she's the best, 2nd best, 3rd best in the game is tunnel vision and shallow thinking, there's a lot she doesn't do and isn't expected to do.
I never told anybody what they should find interesting. Yup, the forum is for discussion which all too often turns into nit-picking criticism and exaggerated claims.
Apologies. I ignored my “dont reply without taking a minute or two to digest”.
DMac

Post by DMac »

No apology necessary, it's all good.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Hard to say Ward is the #2 attacker in DI, but I have loved watching her play since her freshman year. Her energy is infectious. Not a Cuse fan per se, but I always cheer for Ward. Get after it, Emma!
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

EW is a unique talent - great stick and vision. She has a flashy game but clearly has some less than great aspects to her game. IMO not the best all round attacker on her team. Tyrell more valuable due to circle work and all round play. ND has a great all-round attacker in Wolak. She may be the best attacker in the ACC. Clarke from BC will finally show how dominate she can be. EW may be a top 6 attacker in the country. She is not a top 6 player in my opinion. This year she may draw the best defender on teams like BC and UNC. Might not be as easy as people think without Carney and older Tyrell their to take some of the toughest defensive assignments.
SU-LAXAHOLIC

Post by SU-LAXAHOLIC »

Your point about Tyrrell’s circle play is very valid she may shift her game from being a finisher and pass more there are a lot of unknowns going into every season. I do think Ward will play the QB role the unknown is how much every player develops in the off season. I did not see Delaney Sweitzer’s game changing as much as it did going into last year. All we can do is speculate the results will speak for themselves.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:16 am EW is a unique talent - great stick and vision. She has a flashy game but clearly has some less than great aspects to her game. IMO not the best all round attacker on her team. Tyrell more valuable due to circle work and all round play. ND has a great all-round attacker in Wolak. She may be the best attacker in the ACC. Clarke from BC will finally show how dominate she can be. EW may be a top 6 attacker in the country. She is not a top 6 player in my opinion. This year she may draw the best defender on teams like BC and UNC. Might not be as easy as people think without Carney and older Tyrell their to take some of the toughest defensive assignments.
Very excited to see Rachel Clark at bc. She was basically uncover-able man to man at uva her first two years.
Hope there are enough balls at bc this year to go around….
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:30 pm
Lax101 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:16 am EW is a unique talent - great stick and vision. She has a flashy game but clearly has some less than great aspects to her game. IMO not the best all round attacker on her team. Tyrell more valuable due to circle work and all round play. ND has a great all-round attacker in Wolak. She may be the best attacker in the ACC. Clarke from BC will finally show how dominate she can be. EW may be a top 6 attacker in the country. She is not a top 6 player in my opinion. This year she may draw the best defender on teams like BC and UNC. Might not be as easy as people think without Carney and older Tyrell their to take some of the toughest defensive assignments.
Very excited to see Rachel Clark at bc. She was basically uncover-able man to man at uva her first two years.
I truly think Clark will shine. I expect point totals to be pretty similar for Martello and Davis as they had last year, maybe a little bit more for each. I also expect LoPintos point totals from Florida to actually decrease although she will play better. These are my predictions but we will see!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

user1020 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:49 pm
I truly think Clark will shine. I expect point totals to be pretty similar for Martello and Davis as they had last year, maybe a little bit more for each. I also expect LoPintos point totals from Florida to actually decrease although she will play better. These are my predictions but we will see!
Good predictions. I like 'em. And now for the key question concerning Boston College in 2024: How will they fare vs North Carolina?
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:13 am
Good predictions. I like 'em. And now for the key question concerning Boston College in 2024: How will they fare vs North Carolina?
We’ve hijacked the Syracuse thread in a strange direction…but to answer your question i think bc has too much talent all over the field versus Carolina. Better goalie. Defenses about equal. Bc has superior midfield with smith and weeks. And I think bc has better attack when you factor in Clark and lopinto and Davis and martello. The humphrey sisters provide an unknown X factor as to uncs top end, but I think Clark and lopinto are elite talents who could both end up as first or second team all Americans depending on how the season turns out. And I don’t feel that way about the non-Humphrey unc offense. They are all very good players—-but not sure I saw anyone other than Godine at times show the level of dominance that I have seen from Clark and lopinto….
Said differently, I’d be shocked if BC isn’t a final 4 team this year. And I don’t feel the same way about unc…..

But that’s just me…..
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:45 am
We’ve hijacked the Syracuse thread in a strange direction…but to answer your question i think bc has too much talent all over the field versus Carolina. Better goalie. Defenses about equal. Bc has superior midfield with smith and weeks. And I think bc has better attack when you factor in Clark and lopinto and Davis and martello. The humphrey sisters provide an unknown X factor as to uncs top end, but I think Clark and lopinto are elite talents who could both end up as first or second team all Americans depending on how the season turns out. And I don’t feel that way about the non-Humphrey unc offense. They are all very good players—-but not sure I saw anyone other than Godine at times show the level of dominance that I have seen from Clark and lopinto….
Said differently, I’d be shocked if BC isn’t a final 4 team this year. And I don’t feel the same way about unc…..

But that’s just me…..
(I apologize for doing this on the Syracuse thread again) I agree with everything you said. BC has a set 4 on attack and 2 very good midfielders, which gives them a core 6 on offense that will get used to playing together. I worry that UNC has so many talented offensive players that it may actually hurt then. UNC’s attack could lack chemistry unless they get a set group in play. BC will have the better attack if the transfers mesh well into the offense, however if UNC finds their core group and builds chemistry then they would be the better offense.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, since we've gotten a little off track re Cuse wlax, I'm going to take us a little (lot) farther off track and show you my new favorite player. Different game but a superstar (will be) player nonetheless.
Check this little 15 year old out....kind of interested in your reaction(s).
Without further ado, voi la, here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdIhq1tb8Co
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

DMac wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:50 am Well, since we've gotten a little off track re Cuse wlax, I'm going to take us a little (lot) farther off track and show you my new favorite player. Different game but a superstar (will be) player nonetheless.
Check this little 15 year old out....kind of interested in your reaction(s).
Without further ado, voi la, here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdIhq1tb8Co
Tremendous video Dmac. Her story is inspiring.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Stunning, owns the audience and leaves 'em in a puddle.
Am blown away by her. Andre's taken her under his wing,
is on a world tour with him which started yesterday.
Another little treat from her. Thanks for the response.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qVHQuPQud0
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:45 am

But that’s just me…..
What's with this unknown Humphrey factor people keep bringing up? Have we not watched and seen Ashley Humphrey play? she is super elite. The best distributor of the ball since Katie Hoeg and can rack up points like nothing. Chloe doesn't need to set the world on fire. Both Humphrey sisters' floors still make UNC better than last year.

Don't think BC is significantly more talented at all. Overall talent UNC. Brooklyn Walker Welch and Emily Nalls are better than anyone BC has on defense. Don't think i'm taking Martello over Godine. Only players on BC i'll take are Smith and LoPinto over Casey and Clark over CW. Go down the rosters and you're taking more UNC players over BC players

Sure LoPinto and Clark make BC a little more top heavy, but the rest of the roster isn' that deep compared to UNC. UNC was rolling hockey lines last year. UNC dominated BC all of last year minus a 10 min span where BC was able to take advantage of some of their youth. The heels were kinda dominant at times last year, multiple weeks ranked number 1 and i think people are forgetting because they tailed off late..and they didn't lose much from that roster. Nicole Humphrey was solid but Kaleigh Harden is an upgrade over her and will see more time in that role. Not to mention they have another batch of talented freshmen from a top ranked 2023 class to fill the void.

To bring this back to Cuse, this team reminds me a little bit of UNC. in that they will be young but very talented and you have to play your A game to beat them. Might not be that big of a rebuilding year. I don't think they'll reach number 1 but they'll be a solid top half of the top 10
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

The question on Ashley Humphrey is do you get 2022 or 2023 Ashley. A drop of 50 points is pretty significant.

Similar to BC last year where they had a good goalie but upgraded to a better freshman. UNC has the potential to upgrade at some point during the season and play Betty Nelson.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”