What’s going on at Furman?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxfan8019

What’s going on at Furman?

Post by laxfan8019 »

Anyone know what’s going on with the Head Coach situation at Furman?
Laxfan212

Re: What’s going on at Furman?

Post by Laxfan212 »

laxfan8019 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:36 pm Anyone know what’s going on with the Head Coach situation at Furman?
Heard a rumor there’s going to be a coach switch from a 2025 commit but that’s it.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

No head coach listed on Furman website but no story about leadership change.
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/women ... -lewis/668

Says she's still head coach (but not listed on 2024 coaches page)
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Just pulled up their roster. Only 23 players on it.

Something just smells wrong.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Amanda Monahan alone is listed under Women's Lacrosse Coaching Staff.

https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/women ... er-coaches
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:13 pm Just pulled up their roster. Only 23 players on it.

Something just smells wrong.
Only counted 21 on last year's roster so things are looking up? :D
laxr

Post by laxr »

Heard that the coach violated hours allowed - was on probation and now gone?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:19 pm Amanda Monahan alone is listed under Women's Lacrosse Coaching Staff.

She was one of the most underrated goalies in the country last season. But this is her first coaching job, so I assume they need to bring in some more senior coaches.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:40 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:19 pm Amanda Monahan alone is listed under Women's Lacrosse Coaching Staff.

She was one of the most underrated goalies in the country last season. But this is her first coaching job, so I assume they need to bring in some more senior coaches.
I looked up her numbers with Davidson. Impressive.

Yes--and hopefully soon. Or who knows, maybe she'll be a natural and they'll make her the head coach.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Furman is a very nice, regional school, offers a rigorous academic program and has a beautiful campus. That being said, the current President of the school is not a fan of intercollegiate athletics and word is that she has mentioned in the past that she wants to eliminate athletics at the school. She did eliminate baseball and men’s lacrosse. Furman doesn’t have a large endowment so money is an issue. So I would have to guess the salary and budget for women’s lacrosse program is on the low end for D1.

If I had a HS daughter who was looking at Furman for college and wanted a good school, located in the south I would be happy if she attended the school. But if she wanted a good school with a lacrosse program that is fully supported by the schools administration, Furman probably isn’t the best choice.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

TNLAX wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:55 am Furman is a very nice, regional school, offers a rigorous academic program and has a beautiful campus. That being said, the current President of the school is not a fan of intercollegiate athletics and word is that she has mentioned in the past that she wants to eliminate athletics at the school. She did eliminate baseball and men’s lacrosse. Furman doesn’t have a large endowment so money is an issue. So I would have to guess the salary and budget for women’s lacrosse program is on the low end for D1.

If I had a HS daughter who was looking at Furman for college and wanted a good school, located in the south I would be happy if she attended the school. But if she wanted a good school with a lacrosse program that is fully supported by the schools administration, Furman probably isn’t the best choice.
Appreciate the perspective. I though the elimination of men;s lax and baseball was driven by Title IX, not disinterest at the leadership level.

I do know that a majority of Big South programs offer little to no athletic scholarship and I don't believe anyone is over 3 or 4 .
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:21 am [quote=TNLAX post_id=509715 time=<a href="tel:1704632125">1704632125</a> user_id=2712]
Furman is a very nice, regional school, offers a rigorous academic program and has a beautiful campus. That being said, the current President of the school is not a fan of intercollegiate athletics and word is that she has mentioned in the past that she wants to eliminate athletics at the school. She did eliminate baseball and men’s lacrosse. Furman doesn’t have a large endowment so money is an issue. So I would have to guess the salary and budget for women’s lacrosse program is on the low end for D1.

Appreciate the perspective. I though the elimination of men;s lax and baseball was driven by Title IX, not disinterest at the leadership level.

I do know that a majority of Big South programs offer little to no athletic scholarship and I don't believe anyone is over 3 or 4 .
[/quote]

That is incorrect re Big South and scholarships. Three of the programs were fully funded 10 years ago…
TNLAX

Re: What’s going on at Furman

Post by TNLAX »

It would be nice if the NCAA had a website that listed schools and number of scholarships they each offer. Would be helpful for perspective students and us fanlax junkies :lol:

If there is such a list somewhere online someone is aware of, maybe they could share the link.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

TNLAX wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:01 pm It would be nice if the NCAA had a website that listed schools and number of scholarships they each offer. Would be helpful for perspective students and us fanlax junkies :lol:

If there is such a list somewhere online someone is aware of, maybe they could share the link.
Agree, it would be helpful to have this information. I will also add to this it would be nice to know which wlax programs offer the Alston Award and of those that do, which schools fully fund the wlax program, meaning maximizing the $5980 cash award for each player on top of their scholarships.
LaxNJ71

Post by LaxNJ71 »

RollTheCrease wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:39 pm
TNLAX wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:01 pm It would be nice if the NCAA had a website that listed schools and number of scholarships they each offer. Would be helpful for perspective students and us fanlax junkies :lol:

Agree, it would be helpful to have this information. I will also add to this it would be nice to know which wlax programs offer the Alston Award and of those that do, which schools fully fund the wlax program, meaning maximizing the $5980 cash award for each player on top of their scholarships.
The thing is that even if you know a program is fully funded and/or has Allston money it doesn’t mean anything for a specific kid. I know a kid at a school that’s fully funded and has Allston money - that kid is only getting Alston money, no other athletic money. I know a kid at a fully funded school who is only getting academic money (and it’s a lot and more than most of the athletic scholarships). It would be helpful to know so you know if a program has thin funding/support from the school but knowing it’s fully funded doesn’t mean any one kid is getting a certain amount.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

LaxNJ71 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:08 pm
RollTheCrease wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:39 pm

The thing is that even if you know a program is fully funded and/or has Allston money it doesn’t mean anything for a specific kid. I know a kid at a school that’s fully funded and has Allston money - that kid is only getting Alston money, no other athletic money. I know a kid at a fully funded school who is only getting academic money (and it’s a lot and more than most of the athletic scholarships). It would be helpful to know so you know if a program has thin funding/support from the school but knowing it’s fully funded doesn’t mean any one kid is getting a certain amount.
When I know a program is fully funded I know the school is probably fully committed to supporting the program. That’s all.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

And to add, or ask as it were, what conference is Furman moving to next year?
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Furman doesn’t support women’s lax and that lack of support caused their last HC to depart.

I was fortunate enough to talk to various former players who loved the school, but were unhappy with the lack of support, which caused the last transition.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually shut the program down.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”