THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
BlueJaySince1947

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

I would opine that the All Time Blue Jays one-two punch at attack was the combo of Billy Morrill and Mickey Webster particularly in the 1959 season( only ten games ). Morrill's goal scoring average was 5.0 / game ; Webster's assist average was 5.2 / game !
I doubt these two records will ever be surpassed.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Jays should worry about what they can control. I'm sure Petro will have a plan if Garnsey does indeed play but they really shouldn't overthink it. I am more worried about getting stops in the cage, winning our share of faceoffs, and not letting the stout ND defense force our shooters into bad low-percentage shots.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

with the new redshirt rules (can play in fall contests without it automatically burning a year), and for other reasons talked about already, i'd pretty surprised if he showed up slinging this weekend.

the chances of getting a redshirt would be high. if he's in fact in good enough graces... they would likely want him back for a full year. gleason i believe is a senior.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:57 pm with the new redshirt rules (can play in fall contests without it automatically burning a year), and for other reasons talked about already, i'd pretty surprised if he showed up slinging this weekend.

the chances of getting a redshirt would be high. if he's in fact in good enough graces... they would likely want him back for a full year. gleason i believe is a senior.
Be interesting to see what unfolds. If he has earned the needed credits for his undergraduate degree then possible he decides to go out with the senior class he came in with.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

stupefied wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:16 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:57 pm with the new redshirt rules (can play in fall contests without it automatically burning a year), and for other reasons talked about already, i'd pretty surprised if he showed up slinging this weekend.

Be interesting to see what unfolds. If he has earned the needed credits for his undergraduate degree then possible he decides to go out with the senior class he came in with.
Foley was in a similar situation and did not get a redshirt.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Drcthru wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:20 pm
stupefied wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:16 pm
Foley was in a similar situation and did not get a redshirt.
foley was in the same situation as many people before him.
there are new redshirt rules for non-championship season (e.g. fall for lacrosse) participation.
molo

Post by molo »

Toomey pulled the same stunt a couple of years ago. The guy was a nonfactor.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Drcthru wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:20 pm Foley was in a similar situation and did not get a redshirt.
Is this true? - someone refresh my memory. Here's mine. Foley played in fall ball in 2016 and after an issue left school and was not on campus spring of 2017 - so right there he is different from Garnsey. I also seem to recall Blue Jay tweets and facebook talking alot about Foley's internships. I actually think Hopkins would have had a good shot at another year if Foley had wanted it. Chris Boland and Ian Dingman are two precedents tat come to mind. Of course the fall ball thing back in 2016 might have been a factor but if that is not a thing now - I might hazard even the NCAA would see clear of that one. But if you have heard of the Coastal Carolina offensive lineman that wanted to transfer to Virginia Tech to be closer to his mom who has brain cancer and so far has not been cleared to play I guess I have to take it back.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:36 pm
Drcthru wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:20 pm Foley was in a similar situation and did not get a redshirt.
Is this true? - someone refresh my memory. Here's mine. Foley played in fall ball in 2016 and after an issue left school and was not on campus spring of 2017 - so right there he is different from Garnsey. I also seem to recall Blue Jay tweets and facebook talking alot about Foley's internships. I actually think Hopkins would have had a good shot at another year if Foley had wanted it. Chris Boland and Ian Dingman are two precedents tat come to mind. Of course the fall ball thing back in 2016 might have been a factor but if that is not a thing now - I might hazard even the NCAA would see clear of that one. But if you have heard of the Coastal Carolina offensive lineman that wanted to transfer to Virginia Tech to be closer to his mom who has brain cancer and so far has not been cleared to play I guess I have to take it back.
That VA Tech case has a twist to it. The player is good and can help VA Tech, but wants to be closer to his mom. Wake Forest is closer to where his mom lives, and within the 100 mile rule. VA Tech is beyond 100 miles (presumably as the crow flies, longer due to mountains).

The key is Wake Forest sucks as a football school. Again, the player is good, thus the attempt to bend rules to get to Tech.

Now, I feel for his mom’s situation, but this is a shady way for the guy to get to VA Tech.

But I do approve of his tweet-shaming the NC$$.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

that case is different on most fronts. 1st, it's about transfer rules, not academics and ineligibilty from a shortfall.
it's also about football, which has its own transfer rules.
and last, it's about the hardship rules... again, not academics.

he just doesn't want to wait a year to play. he played as a true freshman and then as a soph, and has 2 years of eligibility left whenever he's cleared.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

If Foley comes back you're replacing all 3 close d in 2021. No thanks. Petro is a hall of famer at deflecting even basic questions preseason about the personnel and the upcoming season but he did mention that he was pleased with the young depth they had on d.

Notre Dame and its fans are notorious for their arrogance and higher standards they believe they hold themselves to and then not meeting them when it suits their needs so I don't really care what games and stunts their compliance department plays. They're an 8-6 team, we played well enough to beat the number 1 team in the nation last week away from homewood. We play our best game, we win. LFG.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

The point was not to compare Garnsey's or Foley's situation to the football player in any way. The point was to agree with the fairly popular opinion that the NC$$ is not a buttoned up organization shall we say. This offensive lineman was a 3* coming out of high school - he was not heavily recruited. Virginia Tech was the biggest football school to recruit him and he chose Coastal Carolina - not exactly Alabama or Clemson. Tech is apparently something like 6 or 8 miles outside of the 100 limit. Would this kid play for Tech? Probably - they apparently had some losses to graduation on the offensive line but it's not a done deal. Meanwhile, one of the top quarterback recruits in the nation transferred from Georgia to Ohio State and will be immediately eligible because a baseball player called him a really bad name? Haskins leaves for the NFL - Ohio State stuck for a QB - This CC/Tech kid wants to play offensive guard much closer to his sick mother. Please.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

jhu06 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:25 amNotre Dame and its fans are notorious for their arrogance and higher standards they believe they hold themselves to and then not meeting them when it suits their needs so I don't really care what games and stunts their compliance department plays. They're an 8-6 team, we played well enough to beat the number 1 team in the nation last week away from homewood. We play our best game, we win. LFG.
Maybe omit the first sentence next time; kind of unnecessary, and strangely unrelated to the rest of the paragraph. Good for page count though.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

It would be great if Tim Marcille could be the next Quint K. Not only are they the same size but they’re both obsessive workers. Quint said on air that he played “a ridiculous amount of wall ball.” How do you get to Carnegie hall? Practice practice practice. These two seem to be cut from the same mold. Quint also started as a freshman I believe but it wasn’t until almost midseason.
Jays have a pretty fine team returning next year and if they can find a goalie who can save over 40% they could have a pretty good year in 2020.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Hopkins/Notre Dame game preview starts at 32:45. Very length Petro interview (~ 20 minutes) starts at 34:30.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7257187-5-1 ... pietramala
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

seacoaster wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:04 am
jhu06 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:25 amNotre Dame and its fans are notorious for their arrogance and higher standards they believe they hold themselves to and then not meeting them when it suits their needs so I don't really care what games and stunts their compliance department plays. They're an 8-6 team, we played well enough to beat the number 1 team in the nation last week away from homewood. We play our best game, we win. LFG.
Maybe omit the first sentence next time; kind of unnecessary, and strangely unrelated to the rest of the paragraph. Good for page count though.
I'd say the first part of the first sentence describes many Hopkins Lax fans. And I mean that as a description of me.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

steel_hop wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:50 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:04 am
I'd say the first part of the first sentence describes many Hopkins Lax fans. And I mean that as a description of me.
Yeah - Wombat's picture of pot and kettle came to mind - '06 making that statement in particular drips with irony as I think you could uncover a few crumbs of arrogance in his many posts
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 am Jays have a pretty fine team returning next year and if they can find a goalie who can save over 40% they could have a pretty good year in 2020.
Why would we think this? Lots of holes to fill - not to mention the little cloud that seems to be hanging over the head coach and therefore the entire staff. Graduation losses are small but meaningful - plenty of time to discuss 2020 line-ups - hopefully that won't start Sunday at 9:45 PM.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Hawkeye wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:41 am Hopkins/Notre Dame game preview starts at 32:45. Very length Petro interview (~ 20 minutes) starts at 34:30.

I'm sorry, but that he leads with the losses of Valis and Tinney????????????? Valis was criminally underutilized, and Tinney was a great player, but......Lead with Moreland and Stanwick for god's sake. That's kind of infuriating to me.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:11 am
Hawkeye wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:41 am Hopkins/Notre Dame game preview starts at 32:45. Very length Petro interview (~ 20 minutes) starts at 34:30.

I'm sorry, but that he leads with the losses of Valis and Tinney????????????? Valis was criminally underutilized, and Tinney was a great player, but......Lead with Crawley and Stanwick for god's sake. That's kind of infuriating to me.
Crawley graduated in 2017, and he does get a mention right after anyway.

I don't have a problem leading with Tinney. Based on how this season has played out so far I think it's clear the Jays miss him more than any other player who graduated. Shack was a phenomenal player but the attack seems to be doing okay. The lack of experience and dodging ability at the midfield on the other hand has been a glaring issue pretty much all season long. I think coach brought up Valis to further make that point. If you told me I could only pluck one guy from the 2018 team and put him on this current roster it would easily be Joel Tinney, no questions asked. Brock Turnbaugh might be #2.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”