17. Michigan
18. UMass
19. Princeton
20. Virginia

Also considered (alphabetical order): Clemson, Duke, Navy, UConn
Relax77

Re: US Lax Magazine Preseason Rankings

Post by Relax77 »

I just remarked on another thread. It’s amazing Army is doing so well with the pool they get to pick from. Some say the Ivies have it tough. 😁
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

hmmm wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:40 pm USA LACROSSE DIVISION I WOMEN’S
PRESEASON TOP 20
1. Northwestern
2. Boston College
3. North Carolina
4. Denver
5. Syracuse
6. Maryland
7. Notre Dame
8. James Madison
9. Loyola
10. Stony Brook
11. Johns Hopkins
12. Florida
13. Army
14. Penn State
15. Penn
16. USC
17. Michigan
18. UMass
19. Princeton
20. Virginia

Also considered (alphabetical order): Clemson, Duke, Navy, UConn
Finally have SB ranked correctly. The consistent ranking at 5-7 was silly . Let’s see if iwlca ranking agrees.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nice, hopefully we'll get the pre-season Tewaaraton watch list soon.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Top 5 feel right. Personally, i'd probably have Maryland, Notre Dame a bit lower and Hopkins higher, but probably only a few spots each.

I will probably be proven very wrong, but I really don't understand the ND hype. Yes, lots of offense return and came in, but the Irish haven't solved their fundamental problem last season -- Goalie and defense. Can't see them beating a top 10 team without big improvements there.

Also, Penn State at 14? Did they get a few major transfers I missed. I would be shocked if they finished DFL in the big 10 this year.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:35 pm I will probably be proven very wrong, but I really don't understand the ND hype. Yes, lots of offense return and came in, but the Irish haven't solved their fundamental problem last season -- Goalie and defense. Can't see them beating a top 10 team without big improvements there.
Me neither
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:35 pm Top 5 feel right. Personally, i'd probably have Maryland, Notre Dame a bit lower and Hopkins higher, but probably only a few spots each.

I will probably be proven very wrong, but I really don't understand the ND hype. Yes, lots of offense return and came in, but the Irish haven't solved their fundamental problem last season -- Goalie and defense. Can't see them beating a top 10 team without big improvements there.

Also, Penn State at 14? Did they get a few major transfers I missed. I would be shocked if they finished DFL in the big 10 this year.
Yeah for me that was a stretch. Barely top 25
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:37 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:35 pm I will probably be proven very wrong, but I really don't understand the ND hype. Yes, lots of offense return and came in, but the Irish haven't solved their fundamental problem last season -- Goalie and defense. Can't see them beating a top 10 team without big improvements there.
Me neither
Ummmm. They beat UNC last year and are better on paper this year than last. I’m no ND booster, but they are dangerous this year. And hop doesn’t have ONE offensive player who is as good as any of wolack, choma, ahern, and Tierney. Everyone is on the hop train. We shall see…
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

My PRESEASON TOP 20

1. Northwestern
2. Boston College
3. Denver
4. North Carolina
5. Syracuse

6. James Madison
7. Maryland
8. Notre Dame
9. Florida
10. Loyola

11. Stony Brook
12. Michigan
13. Johns Hopkins
14. Pennsylvania
15. Clemson

16. Penn State
17. USC
18. Army
19. Richmond
20. Navy

Per usual--the Terps are ranked too high by a publication that employs former Maryland great Taylor Cummings. Just like IL Women typically ranks Syracuse too high with former Orange great Alyssa Cometti in their employ.

Notre Dame is always ranked too high, always overhyped, always disappointing come tournament time--ACC and NCAA's. Yes, beating Carolina and Florida last year was impressive. But those were their only impressive wins in '23.

I'm a big Hop fan but I agree--JHU at 11 is premature.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

My preseason top 20

1. Northwestern
2. Boston College
3. North Carolina
4. Denver
5. Syracuse
6. James Madison
7. Maryland
8. Stony Brook
9. Notre Dame
10. Johns Hopkins
11. USC
12. Loyola
13. Florida
14. Penn
15. Michigan
16. Army
17. Virginia
18. Duke
19. UMass
20. Richmond
DMac

Post by DMac »

Noted for critique. ;)
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:06 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:35 pm Top 5 feel right. Personally, i'd probably have Maryland, Notre Dame a bit lower and Hopkins higher, but probably only a few spots each.

You can say ND is inconsistent..but saying they are borderline top 25? or saying they can't beat a top 10 team is ridiculous. We all have seen what they can do when they play up to their talent.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:52 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:06 pm

You can say ND is inconsistent..but saying they are borderline top 25? or saying they can't beat a top 10 team is ridiculous. We all have seen what they can do when they play up to their talent.
The borderline top 25 comment was in regards to Penn State.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

I will keep scratching my head as to why Vanderbilt cant field stronger teams. One would think with all the school and the city offer they should be able to have a top 20 team.

Happy New Year to all.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

My top 10

1. Northwestern
2. Boston College
3. North Carolina
4. Denver
5. Syracuse
6. JMU
7. Maryland
8. Notre Dame
9. Loyola
10. Stony Brook
(First team outside the top 10 - Penn)
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:24 pm I will keep scratching my head as to why Vanderbilt cant field stronger teams. One would think with all the school and the city offer they should be able to have a top 20 team.

Happy New Year to all.
Lack of program leadership and institutional support?
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

I may be banned from ever posting about women's lacrosse, but a new coach at Virginia may help the program. I'm sure there is plenty of talent on the roster, although losing Clarke is a huge blow. :lol:

Duke is really at a cross roads in the ACC, they could finish as far down as second to last again??? Great woman at the top, but is she a great coach?

I see Outta has 3 Patriot League teams in the top 20, 1 is clearly deserving. Not what I would call a power conference. I think Army and Navy would get beat up if they played in 4-6 other conferences. Army was a great story last year, just don't see them in the top 20 going forward.

I threw too much shade at Maryland previously, curious to see if Michigan and Hopkins can challenge them. The 4 team Big10 championship could be interesting.

I would love to see some new teams make some noise like Clemson, VT, Marquette, Richmond, Ohio State, etc. Rattle the cage a little.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxdadpat wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:27 am I may be banned from ever posting about women's lacrosse, but a new coach at Virginia may help the program. I'm sure there is plenty of talent on the roster, although losing Clarke is a huge blow. :lol:
I'm intrigued as to why you think you may be banned? I don't read anything here that seems incendiary--unless I'm missing something. You introduce some interesting topics here.
laxdadpat wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:27 am Duke is really at a cross roads in the ACC, they could finish as far down as second to last again??? Great woman at the top, but is she a great coach?
She might be a short-timer given her relative lack of success. Wouldn't surprise me if she bows out soon, but it also wouldn't surprise me if she stays on. Depends on what Harvard South wants.
laxdadpat wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:27 am I see Outta has 3 Patriot League teams in the top 20, 1 is clearly deserving. Not what I would call a power conference. I think Army and Navy would get beat up if they played in 4-6 other conferences. Army was a great story last year, just don't see them in the top 20 going forward.
Can't go along with you here. Which are the 4-6 conferences? I would venture to say Army and Navy would compete with the lower half of the Big 10 and ACC. The top two teams in the AAC would take care of the two Patriot teams but no one else in the conference. Who else--the Ivy? The PAC-12?
laxdadpat wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:27 am I threw too much shade at Maryland previously, curious to see if Michigan and Hopkins can challenge them. The 4 team Big10 championship could be interesting.
You'll never get a hard time from me for throwing shade at the Old Line State Chelonians. The Big 10 now includes all 7 teams in their conference championship with the 1 seed getting a first round bye. It will be interesting right up to the point when Northwestern wins the hardware. But I'd love to see someone else meet the Wildcats in the conference final for a change.
laxdadpat wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:27 am I would love to see some new teams make some noise like Clemson, VT, Marquette, Richmond, Ohio State, etc. Rattle the cage a little.
Ditto
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Preseason listings are always a little suspect.

I'd drop Penn State to barely 25, or just off the list. Honestly, I'd rank Marquette ahead of them on a top 25 list.

ND hype is just overblown. They are a decent team, but they aren't a top 10 team IMO. They are the epitome of the summer club team that just runs up the score with their top scorers, never subbing in players so they can get more eyes due to score differential. While they have some good returning pieces, I just don't see them sustaining a top 10 ranking.

I am endlessly fascinated by Denver and their rise. The manta prior to the success in 2022 was, great school, won't draw players from the East Coast since it's too far. It appears that has changed and the quality of players are increasing. They will need way more offensive firepower to compliment their PINK and to hang with the other top teams. I like their ranking, though, and I'm curious to see how it all plays out in the next 2-3 years.
OuttaNowhereWregget

MolonLaxe wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:53 am ND hype is just overblown. They are a decent team, but they aren't a top 10 team IMO. They are the epitome of the summer club team that just runs up the score with their top scorers, never subbing in players so they can get more eyes due to score differential. While they have some good returning pieces, I just don't see them sustaining a top 10 ranking.
I put Notre Dame (at number 8) in the top 10 because no one beneath them, if you will, impresses me as better. Going into this season anyway. Wolak, Choma and Ahern are formidable players. When the team is on they can hang. The 2 top 10 wins from last year prove that. As to their other traits--I agree with you.

9. Florida
10. Loyola

11. Stony Brook
12. Michigan
13. Johns Hopkins
14. Pennsylvania
15. Clemson

16. Penn State
17. USC
18. Army
19. Richmond
20. Navy