Syracuse 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by DMac »

Crazy tough opener, no doubt NU would like to welcome Cuse to the season as Cuse welcomed them last year...in their own house too. One thing is for certain, you're not going to have to go deep into the season to get a pretty good idea of what Cuse has got and how competitive they look. Mighty tough schedule. Jenny Markey was a tough loss for Cuse last year...she's baaack, and I hope with the same speed.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

laxfan9999 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:22 pm I don’t know anything for sure but someone at the U-20 tryouts said that Vogelman got hurt this fall
And that is why she wasn’t at the tryout. On Instagram her and another player have knee braces on.
That is my understanding--#11 Vogelman is injured. Not to be confused with #21 Volpe.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:07 pm
laxer12 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:48 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:26 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:31 pm
Fischer wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:48 pm
GratefulRed wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:48 am ...and they will all be Ws
Hmmmmm Not all I think 2 will be Ls
Maryland
Stony Brook
North Carolina

I could easily see two losses among these three. But we don't know how Syracuse will do on offense yet. The Meg Show isn't automatic to replace. The Emma Show was already present. I'm very interested to see what the Orange look like that first game at Northwestern. WOW! Talk about an opening weekend blockbuster of a matchup--in prime time again, no doubt. I think we'll get a good look at what Syracuse may be in 2024 in that first game. I'd guess Wildcats by 4-ish.
I’d guess NU by six or so, and if she can, KAH will pound Syracuse so that the Orange kids remember it in any later meeting. Syracuse will be a work in progress for the first quarter or half of the season. There is a ton to replace, a decent number of returning starters. Should be an interesting season.
Syracuse returns their entire defense as well as the vast majority of their offensive starters. Meaghan Tyrrell is obviously very difficult to replace but I think the Emmas will really take it to another level this season. Also, from what I've seen and read about incoming freshman attack Ashlee Volpe, I believe she will step into Tyrrell's spot quite nicely.

I think Syracuse will be strong again this year. But to say Ashlee volpe will step in MTs spot quite nicely is a bit of a stretch. I thought MT was, aside from scane, the most dangerous and relentless dodger in the womens game last year. A very special player that doesn’t come along very often. I think their offense will struggle to replace her production and her ability to just take the ball at crunch time and make things happen.
Ashlee Volpe is very good. I saw alot of her in HS. extremely underrated player in her class and should have been top 10 easily. Obviously Volpe as a 1 to 1 replacement of MT is unrealistic. like you said MT was one of the best in the game. But she will hold her own.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Syracuse had one of their best teams ever as a program last year. So some regression is expected. They will be a solid top 10 team but i see them a step below the elite teams.

Just not enough on offense. Emma Ward is the only elite player on offense. ET is good for 50-70 points a year. Megan Carney and Meaghan Tyrell really gave them another demention that they simply won't have this year.

Olivia Adamson will have to take a huge leap for them to contend.

Midfield looks super solid with Baxter and Cockerille and i'm high on frosh Kaci Benoit from Darien. She's a lockdown defender.

Just not quite there. 2025 they have a chance to be really good though
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Maryland
Stony Brook
North Carolina

I could easily see two losses among these three. But we don't know how Syracuse will do on offense yet. The Meg Show isn't automatic to replace. The Emma Show was already present. I'm very interested to see what the Orange look like that first game at Northwestern. WOW! Talk about an opening weekend blockbuster of a matchup--in prime time again, no doubt. I think we'll get a good look at what Syracuse may be in 2024 in that first game. I'd guess Wildcats by 4-ish.
I’d guess NU by six or so, and if she can, KAH will pound Syracuse so that the Orange kids remember it in any later meeting. Syracuse will be a work in progress for the first quarter or half of the season. There is a ton to replace, a decent number of returning starters. Should be an interesting season.
Syracuse returns their entire defense as well as the vast majority of their offensive starters. Meaghan Tyrrell is obviously very difficult to replace but I think the Emmas will really take it to another level this season. Also, from what I've seen and read about incoming freshman attack Ashlee Volpe, I believe she will step into Tyrrell's spot quite nicely.
Other than Schweitzer stepping up majorly last season, their defense is subpar Chevarie being cleared will be a blessing Simkins can’t get out of her own way with the fouls and the rest are eh Nw by at least 7 Unc by 4 and sb tight game
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:38 pm Syracuse had one of their best teams ever as a program last year. So some regression is expected. They will be a solid top 10 team but i see them a step below the elite teams.

Just not enough on offense. Emma Ward is the only elite player on offense. ET is good for 50-70 points a year. Megan Carney and Meaghan Tyrell really gave them another demention that they simply won't have this year.

Olivia Adamson will have to take a huge leap for them to contend.

Midfield looks super solid with Baxter and Cockerille and i'm high on frosh Kaci Benoit from Darien. She's a lockdown defender.

Just not quite there. 2025 they have a chance to be really good though
Emma Tyrrell had more points than Carney did last season and she was a mere 8-9 months removed from a major injury. During the 2022 season (before she got injured), she was on pace to have a 90 point + season. Not to mention her sublime ability to win draws on the circle and clear the ball. I think you’re vastly underestimating her potential and what she means to the success of SU.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:07 pm
Maryland
Stony Brook
North Carolina

I think Syracuse will be strong again this year. But to say Ashlee volpe will step in MTs spot quite nicely is a bit of a stretch. I thought MT was, aside from scane, the most dangerous and relentless dodger in the womens game last year. A very special player that doesn’t come along very often. I think their offense will struggle to replace her production and her ability to just take the ball at crunch time and make things happen.
I did not mean that Ashlee would just automatically replace Tyrrell’s (100+points) production. I meant that she would be a major contributor into helping fill the void that Meaghan is leaving. I expect Ward, (little) Tyrrell, Adamson, and Volpe to all really take charge in leading the offense.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Fischer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:53 pm Other than Schweitzer stepping up majorly last season, their defense is subpar Chevarie being cleared will be a blessing Simkins can’t get out of her own way with the fouls and the rest are eh Nw by at least 7 Unc by 4 and sb tight game
Sweitzer
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:38 pm

Cockerille has moved on which leaves a big hole. Opportunity for Muchnick, Savannah Sweitzer to step up.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Fischer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:53 pm
Maryland
Stony Brook
North Carolina

Other than Schweitzer stepping up majorly last season, their defense is subpar Chevarie being cleared will be a blessing Simkins can’t get out of her own way with the fouls and the rest are eh Nw by at least 7 Unc by 4 and sb tight game
Their defense definitely had a lot of ups and downs last season, with Sweitzer bailing them out aplenty during the regular season. However, during the post season, and more specifically the NCAA’s, she did not perform well at all but the defense in front of her did. SU’s defense limited its opponents in the NCAA tournament to 8, 7, and 8 goals in each respective game.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

GratefulRed wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:53 am
Kleizaster wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:38 pm

Cockerille has moved on which leaves a big hole. Opportunity for Muchnick, Savannah Sweitzer to step up.
I don’t follow the Cuse line up as closely as y’all … but I like Goodale and Clarke on the defensive end. And I would keep an eye on Olsen in the midfield. She gave them some good minutes last season after missing her freshman year. The field player Sweitzer is a big dead zone on attack. No way she can contribute as a middie. I am a fan of Nat Smith ..: small but gritty AF.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:38 pm i'm high on frosh Kaci Benoit from Darien. She's a lockdown defender.

I don’t mean to aim this critique at you kleizastser, but in my opinion few terms are as overused as “lockdown defender”. They don’t reallly exist. Its just really hard to win 1 v 1 matchups against the best offensive players. The game favors offense.

There are of course great 1 v 1 defenders. I personally think Emma trenchard is the best I have seen in the past 6 years. But even she got beat multiple times every single game.

The term “lockdown” has always bugged me. Definitely my own problem 😀

And I LOVE man defense!!!
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

DMac wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:05 am
Fischer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:53 pm Other than Schweitzer stepping up majorly last season, their defense is subpar Chevarie being cleared will be a blessing Simkins can’t get out of her own way with the fouls and the rest are eh Nw by at least 7 Unc by 4 and sb tight game
Sweitzer
Thanks for the spelling lesson Point still stands
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Fischer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:48 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:05 am
Sweitzer
Thanks for the spelling lesson Point still stands
Not really. I think Goodale, Chevarie, Clark, and
Vandiver are all really good defenders. Add in a top ranked incoming freshman defender in Kaci Benoit, and there’s absolutely no reason for SU’s defense to not be good this upcoming season.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Old year out, new year in but some things never change, that's just Fissher being Fissher.
Cuse'll never amount to anything, too many stumblin', bumblin' players, won't ever amount to jack.
(you the one who said Baxter wouldn't see the field her Soph year?) Does a lot of crowing like that.
Really gotta watch this til the end.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Sd4zKMc1aJs
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

DMac wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:38 pm Old year out, new year in but some things never change, that's just Fissher being Fissher.
Cuse'll never amount to anything, too many stumblin', bumblin' players, won't ever amount to jack.
(you the one who said Baxter wouldn't see the field her Soph year?) Does a lot of crowing like that.
Really gotta watch this til the end.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Sd4zKMc1aJs
* fisher
And yes Baxter saw the field soph year Had 8 goals Much better junior campaign they’ll need her this season with Sierra gone
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

Anyone know why Mackenzie Rich transferred out of UNC to Syracuse? Playing time?
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Where do people rank Cuse in the ACC this year? #3 behind BC and UNC? Are they better than ND?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

laxguy95 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:40 pm Anyone know why Mackenzie Rich transferred out of UNC to Syracuse? Playing time?
Could very well have been, though she did redshirt her frosh year in 2022. See below:

R-FRESHMAN (2023) – Made 10 appearances as a reserve attacker … Finished the season with nine goals, four assists and 14 points … Recorded two goals in her first career appearance vs. Liberty on Feb. 15 … First career hat trick vs. High Point on March 23, also dishing out an assist for a career-high four points … Registered two goals and one assist vs. #22 Clemson on March 26 … Had a goal and an assist vs. #17 Clemson in the ACC Quarterfinals on April 26.

FRESHMAN (2022) – Redshirted the 2022 season.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

From my perspective, the key to Cuse will be if Schweitzer can repeat last year's performances. I think the defense around her will be marginally better, but offense marginally worse (they lose alot but have alot of talent which has come in over the past couple classes).

I expect UNC to be much better this year and the ACC favorites. At worst, cuse is 3rd in ACC, definitely well ahead of ND, Duke and Clemson.

For me, the X factor will be if Adamson can continue to improve and really step in up in big games on the draw.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”