Navy 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: Navy 2024

Post by old salt »

Cottle lived close by. He's looking for something to do since the Bayhawks went away.
No stranger than Bill Belichik retiring into the Navy FB OC job. Mumbo, mumbo !

https://www.capitalgazette.com/2023/12/ ... -approval/
Preseason begins Jan. 8, leaving little time to conduct a national search to identify a replacement for Phipps. According to the same two sources, Amplo was reluctant to poach an assistant from another program this close to the start of the season.

Navy begins its season Feb. 3 at home against Mount St. Mary’s.

Cottle would likely be a stopgap, the sources said, as he has committed to handling offensive coordinator duties for this season only. However, it is conceivable both sides could agree to extend the arrangement depending on how things go in 2024.

A Baltimore native, Cottle posted a record of 181-70 (.721) over 19 seasons (1983-2001) at Loyola, guiding the Baltimore school’s transition to Division I status and leading the Greyhounds to 18 straight winning seasons and 14 consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances.
Cottle left Loyola to succeed the late Dick Edell as coach at Maryland, where he amassed a 99-45 record from 2002 to 2010. He led the Terps to eight straight NCAA Tournament berths.

Cottle became a consultant with the Chesapeake Bayhawks of Major League Lacrosse in the summer of 2010. He was hired as coach and president of the Bayhawks the following season and led the team to MLL championships in 2012 and 2013.
Cottle served solely as general manager of the Bayhawks from 2014 to 2017 then returned as coach in 2018 and 2019. He resigned both posts shortly after Brendan Kelly ceded ownership of the Chesapeake franchise to Major League Lacrosse in January 2020.
Cottle served as president of Legendary Sports Group, an events production company owned by Kelly. During Cottle’s tenure, Legendary Sports Group managed and promoted the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association football and lacrosse postseason tournaments.
Cottle has been retired and living in Boca Raton, Florida, for most of the past year. He resided in Edgewater throughout his tenure at Maryland and in Annapolis while working for the Bayhawks.
Cottle, a graduate of Northern High in Baltimore, was a three-time All-American attackman at Salisbury. He served as a graduate assistant for one season before being hired as coach at Severn School, which he led to a 26-9 record in three seasons.
Cottle was inducted into the Intercollegiate Men’s Lacrosse Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2017. He is also a member of the Chesapeake Chapter of the USA Lacrosse Hall of Fame.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Relative to the situation and timing, it's a smart hire. There are a lot of connections there. He was very involved with Spalding and the local club teams while working with Legendary/5Star. He did a lot behind the scenes. So he is more than just a little familiar with a good number of kids on Navy's roster. Not gonna find a more proven coach, less than a month before the season begins.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Phipps to MD right now (a very Merry X-mas from Tills) and another new Navy OC is not great news out of Annapolis. Maybe the Cottle move, if it comes to pass, will be a smashing success (I hope it is) but "former coach coming out of the broadcast booth" hasn't had a strong history of success elsewhere in the sports world. Cottle is a great guy and knows a lot of lacrosse but I don't see him as an offensive savant.

The lack of continuity is a shame -- Navy has its top 5 point-scorers returning and some interesting incoming 4-stars on the offensive side of the ball (in addition to Marsh, the 5-star pole) -- but here's hoping they'll gel quickly under the new OC.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

IL’s podcast around the 13 minute mark talks about the OC changes

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/i ... 0639661087
old salt

Post by old salt »

From all appearances, Xavier Arline finished the FB season in good health. It will be interesting to see Coach Cottle's influence on his game & how his abilities will be incorporated into the team offense. ...Tolker & Haley might get a lot of good feeds on the crease.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

old salt wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:13 pm From all appearances, Xavier Arline finished the FB season in good health. It will be interesting to see Coach Cottle's influence on his game & how his abilities will be incorporated into the team offense. ...Tolker & Haley might get a lot of good feeds on the crease.
Does X-Man have another year of Lacrosse Eligibility beyond 2024?

Joe
old salt

Post by old salt »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:28 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:13 pm From all appearances, Xavier Arline finished the FB season in good health. It will be interesting to see Coach Cottle's influence on his game & how his abilities will be incorporated into the team offense. ...Tolker & Haley might get a lot of good feeds on the crease.

Joe
Lax athletic eligibility yes, but the Navy won't let him stay 5 yrs at USNA for just a 4th yr of lax.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

old salt wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:37 pm

Joe
Lax athletic eligibility yes, but the Navy won't let him stay 5 yrs at USNA for just a 4th yr of lax.
The question is, does he go elsewhere to finish out his career if at all possible?

Joe
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:35 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:37 pm

Joe
The question is, does he go elsewhere to finish out his career if at all possible?

Joe
He can not, unless he is released from the Navy, as he signed a contract before entering his junior year. Although, if he goes straight to grad school as part of his commissioning (which is unlikely based on the schools he'd attend) or he chooses to use his available extra years once he satisfies his Navy commitment.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Hall of Fame Coach Dave Cottle Joins Navy Men’s Lacrosse Staff

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Navy men's lacrosse head coach Joe Amplo announced on Thursday that Dave Cottle will serve as the Mids' offensive coordinator for the 2024 season. Cottle compiled an overall record of 280-115 (.709) in his 28 seasons as a head coach at Maryland and Loyola (Md.), led the two programs to a combined 22 NCAA Tournament appearances and finished with a winning record in 27 of his 28 seasons. He owns the 13th-most victories among Div. I head coaches all-time, while his winning percentage is the 18th best.

"As far back as my playing days, Dave Cottle has always been respected in our sport," said Amplo. "As I got older, he has been there for me at different points in my career. He was influential in helping me get my first head coaching job at Marquette and has been a valuable mentor to me since then. With an opening on my staff at an inconvenient time, he called me to be that mentor. What I learned quickly was that he was very interested in the job. To me, that was the most important thing. Sure, we get a hall of fame coach with experience, credibility and knowledge. But most of all, we get someone who wants to be here. A coach who has studied our program and believes in our players. Above all, we get a legend who has something to prove. This is a great day for Navy Lacrosse and I could not be more humbled and grateful that Dave is joining our staff."

"This is an unbelievable opportunity to work with Joe Amplo, his staff and the Navy players, and one that I felt I would regret had I not taken," said Cottle. "Having lived in Annapolis and worked with the Chesapeake Bayhawks for a number of years, there's some familiarity and a sense of comfort and pride within the community. I'm a big fan of and have great respect for the Naval Academy and its men's lacrosse program which has a long and storied history. The opportunity to work with players who demonstrate such high core values and commitment is something I am looking forward to."

The winningest men's lacrosse coach in Loyola (Md.) history, Cottle amassed a 181-70 (.721) record from 1983-2001. He helped lead Loyola through its transition to NCAA Division I and guided the Greyhounds to 18-consecutive winning seasons (1984-2001) and 14-straight NCAA Tournament berths (1988-2001). In each of those 14 seasons, Loyola finished the year ranked among the nation's top ten.

After leading Loyola to its first Div. I NCAA Tournament berth in 1988, he was named the Morris Touchstone Memorial Award winner which is presented by the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) to the nation's most outstanding Div. I lacrosse head coach. In addition to the recognition, he became the first coach in Loyola athletic history to receive a national award. A year later, Cottle's squad became the only Loyola men' lacrosse team to complete an undefeated regular season. The Greyhounds defeated four nationally-ranked teams en route to a 10-0 mark. In 1990, he led the Greyhounds to their first appearance in the NCAA Semifinals and NCAA Championship Game. The 1998 season saw Loyola finish with a 13-2 record, reach a No. 1 national ranking and earn the school's first No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Cottle is one of just two coaches in the program's history with more than 100 wins or a .650-plus winning percentage (Charley Toomey / 177-93, .656).

Cottle left Loyola (Md.) in the fall of 2001 to become the head coach at Maryland where he was twice named ACC Coach of the Year and put together a 99-45 (.688) record from 2002-10. The Terrapins finished each of his nine seasons with a winning percentage of .625 or better, while Cottle led Maryland to the NCAA Tournament in eight of his nine years (2003-10), including semifinals appearances in 2003, '05 and '06. Maryland won at least a share of three Atlantic Coach Conference regular-season titles (2003, '04, '09) and back-to-back ACC Tournament crowns in 2004 and '05. During his tenure, 26 different Terps earned a total of 45 All-America citations.

Following his departure from Maryland, Cottle became a consultant for Major League Lacrosse's Chesapeake Bayhawks and then was hired as president and head coach of the organization in 2012. After winning back-to-back MLL titles in 2012 and '13, Cottle transitioned in a general manager role from 2014 through '17. He returned to his coaching role for a final time in 2018 and directed the Bayhawks to their sixth MLL crown.

In 2010, Cottle was retained by Marquette to serve as a lacrosse consultant when the school announced its intentions of adding men's and women's lacrosse.

A widely respected leader within the lacrosse community, Cottle formerly served on the NCAA Div. I men's lacrosse committee and also sat on the board of directors of the Intercollegiate Men's Lacrosse Coaches Association (IMLCA). In 1998, Cottle was inducted into the Greater Baltimore Lacrosse Foundation Hall of Fame and in 2017, he was inducted into the IMLCA Hall of Fame.

A 1978 graduate of Salisbury State University, Cottle was enshrined into the institution's Athletic Hall of Fame in 1989. He set numerous school and NCAA records and went on to become a three-time All-American. As a freshman in 1975, he led the nation in scoring and became the second player in collegiate history to surpass 100 points in a season. He still ranks among the Seagulls' top 10 in goals (179), assists (123) and points (302). Additionally, he is among just five players in school history to rank among the top 10 in all three categories.

### Go Navy ###
old salt

Post by old salt »

Specific examples of how Navy's policy on 5th year "turnback" players differs from Army & Air Force.
If Xavier Arline played at Army he'd probably be allowed to come back for a 5th lax season.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/2023/12/ ... ommentary/

Bill Wagner: Jacob Busic enters transfer portal after being denied fifth year of Navy football | COMMENTARY

Jacob Busic did not want to enter the NCAA transfer portal.
In an ideal world, Busic would complete his college football career by playing one more season for Navy. He would then graduate and commission in December before embarking on a service career in the Marine Corps.
Because of current Naval Academy policy, that scenario will not happen

Busic has been forced to make a choice: Graduate from the Naval Academy and commission as a Marine Corps officer in May, or transfer to a civilian school and play two more seasons of college football.

You read that correctly. Busic did not see any varsity action as a plebe and appeared in just four games this season because of injury. That means he has one year of eligibility based on NCAA redshirt rules. He gets another year due to the NCAA waiver that allows athletes six years to play four due to the pandemic-affected 2020 season.

Which is why Busic entered his name in the transfer portal. The Westminster native could pursue a master’s degree while recovering the two seasons of college football he missed.
“There is no harm in putting my name out there and seeing what offers I get. It doesn’t necessarily mean that I’m leaving the academy,” Busic said. “I’m just keeping my options open and seeing what’s out there.”

Since entering the portal on Dec. 18, Busic has been contacted by several Power Five conference schools interested in his talents. The 6-foot-4, 256-pound defensive end has the measurables and the resume that impress potential suitors at the highest level.
Busic was named honorable mention All-American Athletic Conference following a breakout junior campaign in which he recorded 8 ½ tackles for loss, six sacks and two forced fumbles. He has 15 tackles for loss and nine sacks in just 27 career games.

After being named a team captain, Busic seemed poised for a huge senior season. However, it lasted just three games as Busic suffered a torn bicep late in a loss at Memphis.
It was believed to be a season-ending injury as Busic underwent surgery to repair the damage. However, he made a remarkable comeback and returned to practice prior to the Dec. 9 showdown against archrival Army. Busic only got into the Army-Navy game for a handful of defensive plays in relief of Justin Reed, who replaced him as the starter at defensive end.

Shortly after undergoing surgery, Busic applied to the Naval Academy leadership for another year of eligibility and was denied. This has become standard practice as the administration has not allowed a Navy football player to delay graduation for a semester since the tenure of coach Paul Johnson.
“I would love to finish my football career at Navy. I was hoping I could take an extra semester and play one more season. Unfortunately, that did not work out,” Busic said.

That decision has Busic contemplating something he would never have imagined until recently: Leaving the Naval Academy. It is not a prospect he takes lightly.
Busic is a midshipman in good standing at the academy in terms of academic and military ranking. He endured a year at the Naval Academy Prep School and is on pace to graduate with a degree in quantitative economics and is genuinely looking forward to being an officer in the Marine Corps.
“To put five years into the Naval Academy and wind up not graduating and commissioning would be really, really difficult. I don’t know if I would be able to give that up,” he said.

Factoring into the equation is the fact Busic would be required to pay back a portion of the cost of his Naval Academy education,which could be hundreds of thousands of dollars.
“It’s obviously a lot of money. That’s why it’s so hard to make the decision to transfer,” Busic acknowledged.
It is possible that a Power Five football program could offer Busic enough name, image and likeness money to help with repayment. A two-year scholarship would also cover the cost of graduate school.

So Busic is listening to the offers to determine if it makes sense to transfer.
“There is no harm in looking. I’m taking this one day at a time and one step at a time. I don’t know at this point what will happen. I’m just feeling it out,” he said. “Hypothetically, if I were to accept that opportunity, there would be a lot of things on the Navy side that would need to be figured out.”

Not a level playing field
If Busic played football for Army and Air Force, he wouldn’t be dealing with this decision. Those two service academies are granting football players an extra year of eligibility in cases of injury or hardship.

Air Force, which beat James Madison the Armed Forces Bowl last Saturday, has 11 seniors on its roster that should have already graduated including four offensive starters. Two of Air Force’s best defensive players — safety Trey Taylor and linebacker Bo Richter — are also fifth-year seniors.

Meanwhile, Army’s roster includes 10 seniors that should have graduated and another five juniors who should be seniors. Among them are numerous starters and key contributors.

Clearly, Navy is not on a level playing field with its service academy rivals. In fact, the Midshipmen are at a major disadvantage.

How much better would the defense have been this season if standout outside linebackers John Marshall and Nicholas Straw had been fifth-year seniors. An offensive line that lacked depth really would have been bolstered by the presence of Kip Frankland and Jamie Romo.

How nice would it be to know the entire defensive line — Busic, nose guard Donald Berniard Jr. and tackle Clay Cromwell — would be returning next season? It would be quite a boost if inside linebacker Will Harbour had another year to play alongside Colin Ramos.

In my strong opinion, the Naval Academy leadership needs to seriously rethink its stance on this subject. Continuing to totally dismiss any notion of granting an extra year of eligibility to players that miss most or all of a season due to injury is putting the football program at a competitive disadvantage.

There is no indication Army or Air Force are going to stop the practice. Why wouldn’t you want to play by the same rules as your service academy rivals?

Considering the fact most plebes do not see varsity action, Navy has an entire roster full of players who only contribute for three seasons at most.

What makes the decision to not allow Busic a fifth year of eligibility so absurd is that he will spend the fall semester of the 2024-25 academic year at the Naval Academy anyway. He is slated to serve as a graduate assistant for the football program while on temporary assignment duty at the academy.

Instead of breaking down film and overseeing the scout team, Busic could be on the field making sacks and tackles for loss. Denying Busic an extra season of football does not mean he will begin The Basic School at Quantico any earlier.

New approach needed
Navy football is already handicapped enough in this era of college football. The transfer portal is a one-way street for the Midshipmen. The coaching staff cannot lure high school prospects with NIL money. High academic entrance standards along with the requirement of serving a five-year military commitment following graduation immediately reduces the pool of possible recruits.

What makes the administration’s current stance even more curious is the Naval Academy has granted football players a fifth year of eligibility in the past. Napoleon McCallum, one of the greatest players in program history, got an extra year after losing his senior season to a broken ankle.

In the early years of the Paul Johnson era, when Navy was desperate to rebuild a downtrodden program, the academy leadership allowed multiple players to come back for a fifth year.

No Navy player since 2009 has been granted an extra year of eligibility with the saddest scenario involving Tago Smith, who backed up record-setting quarterback Keenan Reynolds for three seasons. Smith, a very talented quarterback in his own right, succeeded Reynolds as the starter and suffered a season-ending injury in the 2016 opener.

If any player ever deserved a fifth year of football it was Smith, who lost his lone season to be the starter. However, the academy leadership callously turned down his request.

Sustained success seems to have convinced the academy leadership it no longer needed to make special exceptions for the football program. Under the direction of Johnson and successor Ken Niumatalolo, Navy posted winning records in 15 of 17 seasons from 2003 through 2019. The Midshipmen captured the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy11 times during those glory years.

Sadly, those halcyon days are quickly becoming a distant memory. The Midshipmen have endured losing records in five of the last six seasons and are 3-9 against their service academy rivals during that stretch.

Beating Army and Air Force to claim the coveted Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy will always be the program’s primary goal. Doing so is difficult under normal circumstances. Give the Black Knights and Falcons the advantage of having a double digit number of fifth-year seniors and the challenge becomes even greater.

Everyone involved with Navy football can only hope the academy leadership changes its stance on this issue. Failure to do so sends a disturbing message that Navy does not support its football program the way Army and Air Force do.

Jacob Busic should not be in the position of choosing between a Naval Academy degree or transferring to a civilian school.

“If I had been allowed an extra semester to play football I wouldn’t be in the portal right now,” Busic said.
lorin

Post by lorin »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:30 am Hall of Fame Coach Dave Cottle Joins Navy Men’s Lacrosse Staff

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Navy men's lacrosse head coach Joe Amplo announced on Thursday that Dave Cottle will serve as the Mids' offensive coordinator for the 2024 season. Cottle compiled an overall record of 280-115 (.709) in his 28 seasons as a head coach at Maryland and Loyola (Md.), led the two programs to a combined 22 NCAA Tournament appearances and finished with a winning record in 27 of his 28 seasons. He owns the 13th-most victories among Div. I head coaches all-time, while his winning percentage is the 18th best.

"As far back as my playing days, Dave Cottle has always been respected in our sport," said Amplo. "As I got older, he has been there for me at different points in my career. He was influential in helping me get my first head coaching job at Marquette and has been a valuable mentor to me since then. With an opening on my staff at an inconvenient time, he called me to be that mentor. What I learned quickly was that he was very interested in the job. To me, that was the most important thing. Sure, we get a hall of fame coach with experience, credibility and knowledge. But most of all, we get someone who wants to be here. A coach who has studied our program and believes in our players. Above all, we get a legend who has something to prove. This is a great day for Navy Lacrosse and I could not be more humbled and grateful that Dave is joining our staff."

"This is an unbelievable opportunity to work with Joe Amplo, his staff and the Navy players, and one that I felt I would regret had I not taken," said Cottle. "Having lived in Annapolis and worked with the Chesapeake Bayhawks for a number of years, there's some familiarity and a sense of comfort and pride within the community. I'm a big fan of and have great respect for the Naval Academy and its men's lacrosse program which has a long and storied history. The opportunity to work with players who demonstrate such high core values and commitment is something I am looking forward to."

The winningest men's lacrosse coach in Loyola (Md.) history, Cottle amassed a 181-70 (.721) record from 1983-2001. He helped lead Loyola through its transition to NCAA Division I and guided the Greyhounds to 18-consecutive winning seasons (1984-2001) and 14-straight NCAA Tournament berths (1988-2001). In each of those 14 seasons, Loyola finished the year ranked among the nation's top ten.

After leading Loyola to its first Div. I NCAA Tournament berth in 1988, he was named the Morris Touchstone Memorial Award winner which is presented by the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) to the nation's most outstanding Div. I lacrosse head coach. In addition to the recognition, he became the first coach in Loyola athletic history to receive a national award. A year later, Cottle's squad became the only Loyola men' lacrosse team to complete an undefeated regular season. The Greyhounds defeated four nationally-ranked teams en route to a 10-0 mark. In 1990, he led the Greyhounds to their first appearance in the NCAA Semifinals and NCAA Championship Game. The 1998 season saw Loyola finish with a 13-2 record, reach a No. 1 national ranking and earn the school's first No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Cottle is one of just two coaches in the program's history with more than 100 wins or a .650-plus winning percentage (Charley Toomey / 177-93, .656).

Cottle left Loyola (Md.) in the fall of 2001 to become the head coach at Maryland where he was twice named ACC Coach of the Year and put together a 99-45 (.688) record from 2002-10. The Terrapins finished each of his nine seasons with a winning percentage of .625 or better, while Cottle led Maryland to the NCAA Tournament in eight of his nine years (2003-10), including semifinals appearances in 2003, '05 and '06. Maryland won at least a share of three Atlantic Coach Conference regular-season titles (2003, '04, '09) and back-to-back ACC Tournament crowns in 2004 and '05. During his tenure, 26 different Terps earned a total of 45 All-America citations.

Following his departure from Maryland, Cottle became a consultant for Major League Lacrosse's Chesapeake Bayhawks and then was hired as president and head coach of the organization in 2012. After winning back-to-back MLL titles in 2012 and '13, Cottle transitioned in a general manager role from 2014 through '17. He returned to his coaching role for a final time in 2018 and directed the Bayhawks to their sixth MLL crown.

In 2010, Cottle was retained by Marquette to serve as a lacrosse consultant when the school announced its intentions of adding men's and women's lacrosse.

A widely respected leader within the lacrosse community, Cottle formerly served on the NCAA Div. I men's lacrosse committee and also sat on the board of directors of the Intercollegiate Men's Lacrosse Coaches Association (IMLCA). In 1998, Cottle was inducted into the Greater Baltimore Lacrosse Foundation Hall of Fame and in 2017, he was inducted into the IMLCA Hall of Fame.

A 1978 graduate of Salisbury State University, Cottle was enshrined into the institution's Athletic Hall of Fame in 1989. He set numerous school and NCAA records and went on to become a three-time All-American. As a freshman in 1975, he led the nation in scoring and became the second player in collegiate history to surpass 100 points in a season. He still ranks among the Seagulls' top 10 in goals (179), assists (123) and points (302). Additionally, he is among just five players in school history to rank among the top 10 in all three categories.

### Go Navy ###
lorin

Post by lorin »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:30 am Hall of Fame Coach Dave Cottle Joins Navy Men’s Lacrosse Staff

### Go Navy ###
Lacrosse season is a month away and you are already crying, I can tell you Army even without the extra year for the 10 10 kids, would still beat Navy. The five juniors I have no clue what you are talking about.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Would be a great story if Navy's overall results are much improved this year with Cottle as part of the staff.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Any news on the Navy/HP ?
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Any news on the Navy/HP ?
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

HP +5 , HP was fired up !
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:33 pm HP +5 , HP was fired up !
What about vs Denver?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Hack2022

Post by Hack2022 »

I don’t believe much is changing this year same old song.
laxdadj

Post by laxdadj »

The lack of detail after a home scrimmage from the fan base on this thread leads one to believe things didn't go well on Sunday. It is unfortunate that OC resigned when he did but it will be interesting to see if staff has developed the talent on the yard. Will be a telling year for head coach.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”