D3 Men NCAA Tournament

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Doid23

Re: D3 Men NCAA Tournament

Post by Doid23 »

Empirelaxer wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:02 am Union throttled Cortland who scored two goals late against Union subs to make score look better than it was. And no way SLU would have lost to Springfield or SJF. Centennial overrated, Liberty underrated the whole year.
Actually, I think the Liberty was properly rated all year...except by the selection committee.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Doid23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:04 pm
Empirelaxer wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:02 am Union throttled Cortland who scored two goals late against Union subs to make score look better than it was. And no way SLU would have lost to Springfield or SJF. Centennial overrated, Liberty underrated the whole year.
Actually, I think the Liberty was properly rated all year...except by the selection committee.
Of course SLU could beat Springfield - so could Bates, Stevens (who did by 9), Middlebury (who did by 8), and tons of other teams who would like to be in the tournament. The Pride got blown out by every good team they faced during the regular season, and lost multiple games to mediocre teams (Sewanee, Colorado College, Babson) as well.

Let's talk resumes of the LL teams that got left out: St. Lawrence and RPI

Neither team had a single win all year against a team that is currently ranked. Zero wins in eight games. 0-8.

RPI was 0-5 against ranked teams, and couldn't even come within five goals in any of those games (lost by 9 to Williams and RIT, and by five to Union - twice - and St. Lawrence). What was their best win? A two-goal win over Ithaca?

St. Lawrence was 0-3 against ranked teams, plus had a bad loss to an Ithaca team that wasn't very competitive this year. Who did they beat? RPI, and....Ithaca? Middlebury back in March? SLU is a better team than RPI, but come on. The resume isn't there.

Both teams beat the teams they were supposed to and lost to everyone else. Neither did anything to deserve a bid. The committee got it right (aside from putting Union and RIT in the same section of the bracket...I despise when they do that).
richard

Post by richard »

ah23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:56 pm
Doid23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:04 pm
Of course SLU could beat Springfield - so could Bates, Stevens (who did by 9), Middlebury (who did by 8), and tons of other teams who would like to be in the tournament. The Pride got blown out by every good team they faced during the regular season, and lost multiple games to mediocre teams (Sewanee, Colorado College, Babson) as well.

Let's talk resumes of the LL teams that got left out: St. Lawrence and RPI

Neither team had a single win all year against a team that is currently ranked. Zero wins in eight games. 0-8.

RPI was 0-5 against ranked teams, and couldn't even come within five goals in any of those games (lost by 9 to Williams and RIT, and by five to Union - twice - and St. Lawrence). What was their best win? A two-goal win over Ithaca?

St. Lawrence was 0-3 against ranked teams, plus had a bad loss to an Ithaca team that wasn't very competitive this year. Who did they beat? RPI, and....Ithaca? Middlebury back in March? SLU is a better team than RPI, but come on. The resume isn't there.

Both teams beat the teams they were supposed to and lost to everyone else. Neither did anything to deserve a bid. The committee got it right (aside from putting Union and RIT in the same section of the bracket...I despise when they do that).
I agree that both SLU and RPI shouldnt have been in the tournament but bringing up three teams that had a combined record of 3-15 vs ranked teams doesn't help you make your point.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ah23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:56 pmaside from putting Union and RIT in the same section of the bracket...I despise when they do that).
awful
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

I actually would have put Stevens in over Bates or SLU, but I could be convinced of any of those three. My issue was more with some teams from the South, which everyone deemed as being weaker than the North, getting ranked ahead of Union by the committee. Gettysburg being ranked above Union by the committee illustrates that, when Union was ranked 6th in the North in the NCAA final regional rankings, and Gettysburg 6th in the South. If they had truly respected the strength of the Liberty League, they would have ranked Union above Gettysburg, and they would be playing Williams in Round 3.

As to SLU, while they didn't have any big wins, or certainly the one that may have gotten them into the tourney, they were 3-4 against regionally ranked opponents, which is a measure that the NCAA looks at.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So what happened with Illinois Wesleyan? They have a good season, appear to be ready to make a run, and then lose 22-9 to a team they beat earlier in the season?
SpartanLaxFanatic

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

All credit in the world to Springfield but it looked like Ursinus just ran out of gas in the second half....they most likely put in a lot of effort last week to take home the Centennial, probably a bit of a let down after making school history. This team was not going to go far without DeSimone in the lineup, just not as explosive without him on the field.
richard

Post by richard »

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:54 pm All credit in the world to Springfield but it looked like Ursinus just ran out of gas in the second half....they most likely put in a lot of effort last week to take home the Centennial, probably a bit of a let down after making school history. This team was not going to go far without DeSimone in the lineup, just not as explosive without him on the field.
C'mon man, you saying Springfield didn't put out a big effort to beat Coast Guard and getting Bugbee his 400th win?
SpartanLaxFanatic

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

richard wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:59 pm
SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:54 pm All credit in the world to Springfield but it looked like Ursinus just ran out of gas in the second half....they most likely put in a lot of effort last week to take home the Centennial, probably a bit of a let down after making school history. This team was not going to go far without DeSimone in the lineup, just not as explosive without him on the field.
C'mon man, you saying Springfield didn't put out a big effort to beat Coast Guard and getting Bugbee his 400th win?
Never said that but I think we can agree the CC is a tougher league than the NEWMAC. Honestly think this UC team was playing a little bit above their pay grade all year, especially this past week without DeSimone.
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

admin wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:48 pm So what happened with Illinois Wesleyan? They have a good season, appear to be ready to make a run, and then lose 22-9 to a team they beat earlier in the season?
They got caught looking ahead to Denison. And Rhodes was just better. If Denison doesn’t take them seriously, they will suffer the same fate as IWU
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cnoll, I hear you but... 22?! That's a we-don't-care type of drubbing.
richard

Post by richard »

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:02 pm
richard wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:59 pm
Never said that but I think we can agree the CC is a tougher league than the NEWMAC. Honestly think this UC team was playing a little bit above their pay grade all year, especially this past week without DeSimone.
Coast Guard beat Wesleyan last year. Springfield just beat the Centennial champ. Babson and MIT are generally strong. NEWMAC isn,t the NESCAC or Centennial and neither is the E8 but you better know who you are playing when you take these teams on. They are not lightweights.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cnoll wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:16 pm
admin wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:48 pm So what happened with Illinois Wesleyan? They have a good season, appear to be ready to make a run, and then lose 22-9 to a team they beat earlier in the season?
They got caught looking ahead to Denison. And Rhodes was just better. If Denison doesn’t take them seriously, they will suffer the same fate as IWU
Cnoll, I know you are an avid Denison-watcher. Did you attend the DU-Rhodes game played at STAB earlier in the year? I don't think Denison will be looking ahead.
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

Yes, I have been to every game. If they play like they did last night, they will be in big trouble
Empirelaxer

Post by Empirelaxer »

Doid23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:43 pm I actually would have put Stevens in over Bates or SLU, but I could be convinced of any of those three. My issue was more with some teams from the South, which everyone deemed as being weaker than the North, getting ranked ahead of Union by the committee. Gettysburg being ranked above Union by the committee illustrates that, when Union was ranked 6th in the North in the NCAA final regional rankings, and Gettysburg 6th in the South. If they had truly respected the strength of the Liberty League, they would have ranked Union above Gettysburg, and they would be playing Williams in Round 3.

As to SLU, while they didn't have any big wins, or certainly the one that may have gotten them into the tourney, they were 3-4 against regionally ranked opponents, which is a measure that the NCAA looks at.
Totally agree about what committee did. Union lost to Williams by 1 at Williams early in season. A rematch of that game would have been more interesting than RIT v Union, part III with less than three weeks separating all three games
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

palaxoff wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:57 am Next Round of potential Upsets?

Not really seeing any upsets in Northern Bracket, picked Stevenson last round, don't know if they have all the horse to play Tufts especially with a double digit lose to them earlier, but that's why they play the game. Amherst and Wesleyan is an unfortunate luck of the draw, be a fun game to watch.

I think Cabrini, Salisbury and York all have matches where the potential of looking ahead could cost them, not sure but think the odds are one will go down. Thinking W & L late season surge might be enough to push them past York.
If I had to make an unbiased pick on an upset, as much as it pains me to say, I'd go W&L over York.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Cnoll wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:04 pm Yes, I have been to every game. If they play like they did last night, they will be in big trouble
I don't disagree about needing to play better against Rhodes, but I think 19 saves by the Concordia keeper did keep the final score from being more reflective of the other game stats.

Regardless, seeing how thoroughly Rhodes dispatched of IWU - and some of the other scores from yesterday - insures that the Big Red aren't going to be caught looking past Rhodes! At least I certainly hope they don't!
Whodem52

Post by Whodem52 »

Let’s be real Rhodes is going to get crushed by Denison. IWU was no good, not worth us rehashing why they lost. Upsets coming up? Potential all around. Tufts will beat Stevenson by more than 6 goals. York will play a tough w&l team, but I think they pull it out, those kids would rather chill for spring semester than play in May. Sudsbury (don’t worry Scott I meant to spell that wrong) could be in trouble. They have the edge on FO but Salisbury goalie is suspect to say the least and if Lynchburg midfield can make it so Lombardo gets good open shots it is an even ballgame. Lynchburg has 5 attackmen that all could make a difference and that’s important! Should be a fun weekend, hoping the bugs pull out the win on the eastern shore!

Buzz buzz
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cnoll wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:04 pm Yes, I have been to every game. If they play like they did last night, they will be in big trouble
My daughter's text to me last night: "flat start again Dad." Sound about right?
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

thescottharris wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:24 pm
palaxoff wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:57 am Next Round of potential Upsets?

Not really seeing any upsets in Northern Bracket, picked Stevenson last round, don't know if they have all the horse to play Tufts especially with a double digit lose to them earlier, but that's why they play the game. Amherst and Wesleyan is an unfortunate luck of the draw, be a fun game to watch.

I think Cabrini, Salisbury and York all have matches where the potential of looking ahead could cost them, not sure but think the odds are one will go down. Thinking W & L late season surge might be enough to push them past York.
If I had to make an unbiased pick on an upset, as much as it pains me to say, I'd go W&L over York.
Scott, we finally wore you down, LOL. I sure hope the Gennies come ready to play, and win.

valaxfan

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”