2024 Season Predictions

D1 Womens Lacrosse
whyamihere

Re: 2024 Season Predictions

Post by whyamihere »

Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:34 am ^^^ can’t spell “their”

Graduate of the UNC decades long illiterate diploma program?
sorry that my imperfections are such an annoyance to you. I will try harder next time. BTW i did not go to UNC, but a Big 10 affiliate school farther north.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

MolonLaxe wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:03 am
hmmm wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:17 am
whyamihere wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:59 pm
hmmm wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:36 pm
whyamihere wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:23 pm
hmmm wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:44 pm
WLaxdad wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:34 am
whyamihere wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:34 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:40 am
Kleizaster wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:27 am you're right they hit on a couple players in the 2017-2018 classes. Bur Relax77 is also right. i had Loyola as a loser in 2025 recruiting. For all the progress they've made on the field, they havn't translated it to recruiting compared to programs like Dartmouth, Denver, JMU, Hopkins, etc. They have good coaching and a good system in place but that won't be enough if they want to take a step forward
^^This is very smart^^. I am not sure that Loyola can break out/in. Elite 8 seems to be their ceiling. In many ways, the Patriot League keeps Loyola from advancing. Sure, they win it all the time, but after the initial OOC slate, there is no toughness or challenge in their opponents (except Navy/Army).

Recruits see that they dont play BC, UNC, MD, NU, SBU, Denver, etc. on any regular basis. To get to the blue blood level, they have to get really lucky and win all their OOCs while getting somewhere in the NCAAs, EVERY YEAR. Best recent finishes were Quarters/Elite 8 against BC and against NU. Did that help recruiting? Probably not...

I cant figure out exactly why the other schools you mention out-recruit Loyola. I think each of those offer something Loyola doesn't, but the Hounds should be competing with those and others for those fringe top 20-40 recruits.
one of the reasons is Loyola is a very small school located in a residential area of Baltimore city. There is not much of a campus life and no main street type area by campus for the kids to hang out at. And not many parents are crazy about sending their kids to a school in Baltimore City. Johns Hopkins has the same issues but they do have the JHU degree that helps draw some of the recruits in. Loyola will be able to recruit well enough to continue winning the Patriot and make it to round of 16 and occasionally the round of 8.
Loyola has a good brand name in the MD area but I would not want my kid going to school there, too dangerous.

https://thegreyhound.org/7353/featured/ ... essed-now/

As you said JHU has the global brand name that can justify the bad location. Anywhere in or near Bmore is dangerous but I think Towson is in a better area.
Ya'll are funny. Hopkins is literally in the middle of one of the most affluent areas of our country. Have you driven through Guilford, Roland Park, etc? The whole city isn't what you saw on The Wire.
JHU does not site in the middle of any of those areas. Its actually in the Keswick neighborhood. Go across Charles St and tell me how safe you feel. There is a reason why JHU fought the city to hire its own Police force.
I'm fully aware of the location of JHU and it's just as close to Guilford as it is to the area you mention. Most people that haven't been to Hopkins don't even realize how big and how beautiful the campus is. Campus isn't east of Charles Village. My daughter had been to tons of events at Homewood and never realized that Hopkins had an actual campus. Loyola isn't in a dangerous area either. USC is in Compton. You don't hear these arguments about LA.
No one has said that campus of either school is not safe or nice. its the areas surrounding the campus that are questionable and there are parents of recruited students who will send their kids there for that reason. i have been to many functions at both JHU and Loyola too, but i would not wonder around York rd area of Loyola or the west side of Charles across from JHU.
Kind of my point. First off, assume you mean East of Charles as the Campus is west of Charles. And you can go plenty East of Charles before you end up in a bad area. Why would anyone be wandering around that part of town anyway? There are also people that won't go to O's or Ravens games because Baltimore is "unsafe" which is absurd. I live downtown. My daughter goes to Hopkins. I agree there are perceptions from parents about how safe or unsafe Hopkins and Loyola are but that doesn't make them true. There are A LOT of schools that are in big cities that some people perceive to be "unsafe". I'm just curious why Baltimore often seems to be singled out in regards to this matter. I've never heard anyone say they wouldn't send their child to USC because they had to wall off part of campus because it borders Compton. I've never heard anyone say they won't send their daughter to Penn or Drexel. Drexel's stadium is in a much worse part of Philly than Hopkins is in terms of Baltimore. There are literally multi-million dollar homes 2 blocks from Homewood. The people that live there must all be nuts! The Stanwicks live down the street from the stadium. As you keep going north Charles past the Guilford mansions, you get to Loyola and Notre Dame of MD University which are in Roland Park which is also mostly multi-million dollar homes. Keep going up Charles and you get to Friends School(40k a year private school) which backs to four other 40k a year private schools, Gilman, Roland Park, Bryn Mawr and Boys' Latin. Be careful going past that because you might right into the roughnecks at the Elkridge Country Club. Neither of these schools are anywhere close to West Baltimore.

I'd guess our good resident Doc would most likely agree with me on both of this. Can't believe he let his daughter go to school in a war zone for 5 years!
Bravo! I've felt the same way when I've driven through so many of these areas. It isn't nearly as bad as some would like you to believe and I've never felt unsafe walking around Hopkins or being in that area.
You're right. it's a great place to live if you don't mind extremely high property taxes, carjacking, car thefts, 300+ murders a year, an idiot for a mayor and a juvenile crime problem going through the roof.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:27 am you're right they hit on a couple players in the 2017-2018 classes. Bur Relax77 is also right. i had Loyola as a loser in 2025 recruiting. For all the progress they've made on the field, they havn't translated it to recruiting compared to programs like Dartmouth, Denver, JMU, Hopkins, etc. They have good coaching and a good system in place but that won't be enough if they want to take a step forward
^^This is very smart^^. I am not sure that Loyola can break out/in. Elite 8 seems to be their ceiling. In many ways, the Patriot League keeps Loyola from advancing. Sure, they win it all the time, but after the initial OOC slate, there is no toughness or challenge in their opponents (except Navy/Army).

Recruits see that they dont play BC, UNC, MD, NU, SBU, Denver, etc. on any regular basis. To get to the blue blood level, they have to get really lucky and win all their OOCs while getting somewhere in the NCAAs, EVERY YEAR. Best recent finishes were Quarters/Elite 8 against BC and against NU. Did that help recruiting? Probably not...

I cant figure out exactly why the other schools you mention out-recruit Loyola. I think each of those offer something Loyola doesn't, but the Hounds should be competing with those and others for those fringe top 20-40 recruits.
one of the reasons is Loyola is a very small school located in a residential area of Baltimore city. There is not much of a campus life and no main street type area by campus for the kids to hang out at. And not many parents are crazy about sending their kids to a school in Baltimore City. Johns Hopkins has the same issues but they do have the JHU degree that helps draw some of the recruits in. Loyola will be able to recruit well enough to continue winning the Patriot and make it to round of 16 and occasionally the round of 8.
Loyola has a good brand name in the MD area but I would not want my kid going to school there, too dangerous.

As you said JHU has the global brand name that can justify the bad location. Anywhere in or near Bmore is dangerous but I think Towson is in a better area.
Ya'll are funny. Hopkins is literally in the middle of one of the most affluent areas of our country. Have you driven through Guilford, Roland Park, etc? The whole city isn't what you saw on The Wire.
Guilford and Roland Park are beautiful neighborhoods, but they aren't even in the top 10 most affluent areas of the state, let alone the nation
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

Who will win the National Championship? UNC
Who will win the ACC Conference Championship? ND
Who wins the Ivy? Yale – a non “context-dependent” Ivy school that wins their first conference championship in 20 years
Who are your Final Four? NORTHWESTERN, UNC, MARYLAND & ND
Who will win the Tewaaraton? SCANE. Best player last year as 5th year. Coming back for a 6th year, another year older than majority of competition, sets records for oldest winner of award.
Which team will make noticeably great strides? CLEMSON – winning a first round game in NCAA Tournament in second year of existence.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
MARYLAND/ND predictions above. Do I honestly believe they make final 4? Those 2 schools seem to be the brunt of constant mud thrown at them in this forum and the entertainment factor of them winning and getting to final 4 would be great.
DENVER –Rips through the BIG EAST again. (I don’t care what the “weighted conference RPI” argument is, conference paper thin at top where it matters). Loses at least 3 OOC games, including getting booted out before final 4
LIZA KELLY - finally heads back east and takes the DUKE job. After going all in on this team with the transfers and all the 5th year, 6th and 7th year players and not winning a championship, she realizes she has taken the team as far as they can go (like other West of the Mississippi schools.) Leaves to rebuild underperforming DUKE program.
BEST Fiction – “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated”. Loyola wins Patriot league again. Great Coach. And, oh they have 7, yes 7, 5th year players coming back. If you can’t tell, I don’t love all the 5th years, but I do love that she is not a transfer portal coach who at least built the team through development and recruiting (novel thought). Army’s (or maybe Navy’s) time will come in 2025 when all schools playing on a more level, non-Covid 5th year roster stacking approach.
Player to Watch – A Tewaaraton finalist who gets comparative little attention not playing at NU, CUSE, BC or UNC, Peterson was 2nd in country in goals scored last year despite a huge gap between her and scorers #2-4 on team. She had almost 40 goals more than #2 on team. JMU had 2 scorers over 25 goals, NU & BC had 5, Cuse 7. Peterson was the clear focus of opposing D and still scored over 90. If JMU gets greater goal production from 2-4 this year putting more pressure on opposing D to focus less on Peterson, Tewaaraton might not be a Scane lock (and puts JMU in final four weekend)
Summer story to watch – Covid repeats not done yet folks for the 2025 season. Still got the trend of IVY and D3 players eligible for 5th & 6th years in 2025 and the usual portal hungry schools will scoop them up.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

forthelaxofit wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:48 pm Player to Watch – A Tewaaraton finalist who gets comparative little attention not playing at NU, CUSE, BC or UNC, Peterson was 2nd in country in goals scored last year despite a huge gap between her and scorers #2-4 on team. She had almost 40 goals more than #2 on team. JMU had 2 scorers over 25 goals, NU & BC had 5, Cuse 7. Peterson was the clear focus of opposing D and still scored over 90. If JMU gets greater goal production from 2-4 this year putting more pressure on opposing D to focus less on Peterson, Tewaaraton might not be a Scane lock (and puts JMU in final four weekend)
Preaching to the choir on Isabella Peterson. Giant of a player in both size and skill. She's well nigh unstoppable around the net. Formidable on the draw as well. One of the few players in D1 with that superstar aura. No doubt goes up on every opponents white board when planning to play the Dukes. Seems the time she is most vulnerable is between the 30's. She gave up a couple of key turnovers during crunch time that sealed the AAC conference championship title for Florida last year. Aside from that--I think she'll be back up on stage again among the final five, but Izzy Scane will take home her 2nd and last Tewwy. She's in a stratosphere all her own.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

forthelaxofit wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:48 pm Who will win the National Championship? UNC
Who wins the Ivy? Yale – a non “context-dependent” Ivy school that wins their first conference championship in 20 years
Who will win the Tewaaraton? SCANE. Best player last year as 5th year. Coming back for a 6th year, another year older than majority of competition, sets records for oldest winner of award.
Which team will make noticeably great strides? CLEMSON – winning a first round game in NCAA Tournament in second year of existence.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
MARYLAND/ND predictions above. Do I honestly believe they make final 4? Those 2 schools seem to be the brunt of constant mud thrown at them in this forum and the entertainment factor of them winning and getting to final 4 would be great.
DENVER –Rips through the BIG EAST again. (I don’t care what the “weighted conference RPI” argument is, conference paper thin at top where it matters). Loses at least 3 OOC games, including getting booted out before final 4
LIZA KELLY - finally heads back east and takes the DUKE job. After going all in on this team with the transfers and all the 5th year, 6th and 7th year players and not winning a championship, she realizes she has taken the team as far as they can go (like other West of the Mississippi schools.) Leaves to rebuild underperforming DUKE program.
BEST Fiction – “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated”. Loyola wins Patriot league again. Great Coach. And, oh they have 7, yes 7, 5th year players coming back. If you can’t tell, I don’t love all the 5th years, but I do love that she is not a transfer portal coach who at least built the team through development and recruiting (novel thought). Army’s (or maybe Navy’s) time will come in 2025 when all schools playing on a more level, non-Covid 5th year roster stacking approach.
Player to Watch – A Tewaaraton finalist who gets comparative little attention not playing at NU, CUSE, BC or UNC, Peterson was 2nd in country in goals scored last year despite a huge gap between her and scorers #2-4 on team. She had almost 40 goals more than #2 on team. JMU had 2 scorers over 25 goals, NU & BC had 5, Cuse 7. Peterson was the clear focus of opposing D and still scored over 90. If JMU gets greater goal production from 2-4 this year putting more pressure on opposing D to focus less on Peterson, Tewaaraton might not be a Scane lock (and puts JMU in final four weekend)
Summer story to watch – Covid repeats not done yet folks for the 2025 season. Still got the trend of IVY and D3 players eligible for 5th & 6th years in 2025 and the usual portal hungry schools will scoop them up.
Great post. Bravo. Disagree with some…but love the logic and the conviction!!
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:52 pm
forthelaxofit wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:48 pm Who will win the National Championship? UNC

BOLD PREDICTIONS
Great post. Bravo. Disagree with some…but love the logic and the conviction!!
+1
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

TNLAX wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:50 pm

Guilford and Roland Park are beautiful neighborhoods, but they aren't even in the top 10 most affluent areas of the state, let alone the nation
Agree with this no where close to the most affluent in the state. Big homes leftover from a bygone era.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

USC is in a pretty shady area. Clemson South Carolina isn't the most inviting town. Durham North Carolina isn't the safest town. Penn State is in the middle of nowhere. There is a long list of good schools in some not so desireable parts of town.

Point is, i don't think safety concerns are the deciding factor. Maybe for some students but not all. If you're on a college campus no matter where in the country you're usually pretty safe.

Loyola has proven in the past that they have been able to get talent. So the fact that they've struggled with that a bit recently points to bigger issues than just the school being in a shady area of town.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:28 pm USC is in a pretty shady area. Clemson South Carolina isn't the most inviting town. Durham North Carolina isn't the safest town. Penn State is in the middle of nowhere. There is a long list of good schools in some not so desireable parts of town.

Point is, i don't think safety concerns are the deciding factor. Maybe for some students but not all. If you're on a college campus no matter where in the country you're usually pretty safe.

Loyola has proven in the past that they have been able to get talent. So the fact that they've struggled with that a bit recently points to bigger issues than just the school being in a shady area of town.
Safety was certainly a factor with me regarding Towson. After breakfast in IHOP with the buffoonery that was going on and the shooting that night at off campus housing, I don’t care if they were #1 in lax, she wasn’t going there. There’s a ton of colleges, good academically and lax wise that are in terrible neighborhoods. You are right some don’t care but I think a large majority do concerning their daughters. I have no idea regarding what is the worst location regarding Loyola, Towson or JHU. But I saw Towson and it was as a no for me. Doesn’t mean I’m right. Just wasn’t right for us.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

hmmm wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:17 am
Kind of my point. First off, assume you mean East of Charles as the Campus is west of Charles. And you can go plenty East of Charles before you end up in a bad area. Why would anyone be wandering around that part of town anyway? There are also people that won't go to O's or Ravens games because Baltimore is "unsafe" which is absurd. I live downtown. My daughter goes to Hopkins. I agree there are perceptions from parents about how safe or unsafe Hopkins and Loyola are but that doesn't make them true. There are A LOT of schools that are in big cities that some people perceive to be "unsafe". I'm just curious why Baltimore often seems to be singled out in regards to this matter. I've never heard anyone say they wouldn't send their child to USC because they had to wall off part of campus because it borders Compton. I've never heard anyone say they won't send their daughter to Penn or Drexel. Drexel's stadium is in a much worse part of Philly than Hopkins is in terms of Baltimore. There are literally multi-million dollar homes 2 blocks from Homewood. The people that live there must all be nuts! The Stanwicks live down the street from the stadium. As you keep going north Charles past the Guilford mansions, you get to Loyola and Notre Dame of MD University which are in Roland Park which is also mostly multi-million dollar homes. Keep going up Charles and you get to Friends School(40k a year private school) which backs to four other 40k a year private schools, Gilman, Roland Park, Bryn Mawr and Boys' Latin. Be careful going past that because you might right into the roughnecks at the Elkridge Country Club. Neither of these schools are anywhere close to West Baltimore.

I'd guess our good resident Doc would most likely agree with me on all of this. Can't believe he let his daughter go to school in a war zone for 5 years!
I do agree with you. I have been through some rough sections of Balmer...mostly short cuts based on Waze. Those areas can be scary, but they are not what you find around Hop or Loyola.

Scariest recruiting trip I took with my daughter was Penn. Some rough areas around that downtown campus at night. Daughter did not miss that she would be living behind high security every day if she went there.

We live in a pretty affluent area of suburban NOVA, but every time I visit the areas around Hop/Loyola, I think about how nice it is and how I would be happy living there.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:28 pm
Care to share?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

WLaxdad wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:38 am
TNLAX wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:50 pm

Agree with this no where close to the most affluent in the state. Big homes leftover from a bygone era.
I thought the post about the two campuses being too dangerous was silly and I agree with the nice neighborhood comments. Not sure why it matters if they are top 10 most affluent or not. I wouldn't think twice about living in one of those Big homes from a leftover era. :D
OuttaNowhereWregget

Regarding 6th year Izzy Scane

forthelaxofit wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:48 pm SCANE. Best player last year as 5th year. Coming back for a 6th year, another year older than majority of competition, sets records for oldest winner of award.
I don't find years meaningful. How many actual games did she play?

2019 - Played 20 games
2020 - Played 7 games
2021 - Played 16 games
2022 - Injured during Fall ball, did not play
2023 - Played 20 games

That's 63 games total in her career so far. That's 3 full seasons when you divide by 3. It doesn't matter to me what year she'll be in 2024.
By rights, she gets a year for her injured year out. And by rights she gets a season for the lost Covid season. (The NCAA was going to tick off one side or the other by the decision they chose. I think they made the right one to grant a replacement year, if you will.) It's right and fair that Scane is playing in 2024.
hmmm

Re: Regarding 6th year Izzy Scane

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:38 am
forthelaxofit wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:48 pm SCANE. Best player last year as 5th year. Coming back for a 6th year, another year older than majority of competition, sets records for oldest winner of award.

2019 - Played 20 games
2020 - Played 7 games
2021 - Played 16 games
2023 - Played 20 games

That's 63 games total in her career so far. That's 3 full seasons when you divide by 3. It doesn't matter to me what year she'll be in 2024.
By rights, she gets a year for her injured year out. And by rights she gets a season for the lost Covid season. (The NCAA was going to tick off one side or the other by the decision they chose. I think they made the right one to grant a replacement year, if you will.) It's right and fair that Scane is playing in 2024.
It's not about the games played. You have 24/25 year old grown women playing against a lot of 18/19 year olds in many cases. It's absurd.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:52 am

2019 - Played 20 games
2020 - Played 7 games
2021 - Played 16 games
2023 - Played 20 games

It's not about the games played. You have 24/25 year old grown women playing against a lot of 18/19 year olds in many cases. It's absurd.
How can it be helped if injuries are involved?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:57 am

2019 - Played 20 games
2020 - Played 7 games
2021 - Played 16 games
2023 - Played 20 games

Pre-Covid you had 5 years to play 4. All of that has gone out the window. Look at Reznick at Florida. She chose not to play this year but she could have.
Freshman year 2019 - Redshirted
Soph Year 2020 - Covid
Junior Year 2021 - AAC "FRESHMAN" of the Year
Senior Year 2022 - Played full "Soph" season
Grad year 1 2023 - Played full "Junior" Season

She still has a year of eligibility left and she graduated from HS in 2018 just as Scane does and in her case there were no injuries. That didn't happen pre-Covid.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:02 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:57 am

2019 - Played 20 games
2020 - Played 7 games
2021 - Played 16 games
2023 - Played 20 games

Pre-Covid you had 5 years to play 4. All of that has gone out the window. Look at Reznick at Florida. She chose not to play this year but she could have.
Freshman year 2019 - Redshirted
Soph Year 2020 - Covid
Junior Year 2021 - AAC "FRESHMAN" of the Year
Senior Year 2022 - Played full "Soph" season
Grad year 1 2023 - Played full "Junior" Season

She still has a year of eligibility left and she graduated from HS in 2018 just as Scane does and in her case there were no injuries. That didn't happen pre-Covid.
There are always exceptions to the rule--but I don't mind the younger players against the older. That's found in all sports to one degree or another. I don't have, nor have I ever had, any of my kids playing sports in leagues or such so I'm coming from a completely different place, obviously. As a fan of the sport though, I'm very glad she's coming back.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I’m OK with a true one-time medical red shirt based on a real injury as long as it’s 5 to play 4. After that, if you keep getting hurt, that’s unfortunate, but I don’t think multiple red shirt years are appropriate.

The red shirt rules have been abused probably since the first day they were instituted, and certainly not just in wlax.

In retrospect, I think it was a mistake to grant an extra Covid year for the reasons many have mentioned. It seemed to many at the time to be the fair and just thing to do, and I understand that. But with the benefit of hindsight, the costs have outweighed the marginal benefits.

And it’s not just the one extra Covid year for D1 athletes. D3 athletes got two years. Some kids, even entire teams, decided not to play in 2021 which gave those players an extra year of eligibility.

Sitting out a year and retaining eligibility can be a complicated situation which often needs to be assessed on a player by player basis. I don’t think it’s necessarily wrong, but it did contribute to the phenomenon of 18-year-olds having to play against 25-year-olds.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I may be wrong but as a D3 player is the Northwestern goalie now using her second Covid year? Yet she is now playing D1 where other D1 players from her class only received one year and are done .. and current 2020 seniors (like Wurzburger) received no extra year. If true how is that fair? 2020 players like Wurz get 4 years and NU goalie gets 6. Perhaps I'm wrong - am I?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”