NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
carbs-asada

Re: NESCAC

Post by carbs-asada »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:38 pm
carbs-asada wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:21 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:13 pm
pcowlax wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:41 pm Amazing to have this same discussion annually. Out of the 8000 players in D3, very few of them could play at any D1 school, even NJIT. However, there is a huge disparity on quality in D3 (see the Bates-Maine Maritime score) and there is a reason the growing list (you could keep going with that, McCormack with 73 goals in 2 years at UVM, etc) of D3>D1 transfers who have thrived have come from a select group of schools. As others have said, those schools would all beat the bottom feeders of D1. Tufts would throttle NJIT by 15, few if any NJIT or similar school players would even see the field at a Tufts, Salisbury, CNU, Amherst, etc. The top 10 D3 teams would regularly beat the bottom third of D1, win somewhat less than half the time vs middle 3rd, lose almost all vs top third and get clobbered by top 10. That said, Duke is not NJIT. You couldn't just put O'Neil on Bates and have then win NESCAC, the D on the other teams again consist of many players who could have played D1 and they would swarm him. But O'Neil, Dyson Williams, Naso, Caputo, Brower and Leadmon? Sure. Not sure what that says about the relative strength of D3 vs D1 though.
Delusional take. How is lacrosse any different from any other top college sports? Do you think the best D3 football, Basketball, baseball team could beat the worst D1 program? It' ain't happening. In football Cortland isn't beating Kent Sate, Akron, La Tech, ECU or UMass. The speed, size, talent gap is the same in lacrosse. The best middie in D3 is a D1 washout. He's a great player, and aside from Jude Brown the best I've seen. But, NJIT, Monmouth, Siena, Quinnipiac, etc., would crush NESCAC schools. I know all you NESCAC folk get butt hurt real easy but wake the "F" up.
Did you seriously just compare the parity of college football and basketball to lacrosse?? This has nothing to do with NESCAC fanboys but everything to do with your lack of knowledge about anything related to college lacrosse. This may be the worst take I've ever heard. Hit the books and learn something before coming with terrible takes
Another say nothing...what's the difference?
The difference is two things really. For starters the development of the sport as a whole. The sport of lacrosse just has not grown on the collegiate level at the same rate the skill for the game has. There are 77 division one lacrosse programs with far more athletes capable of playing at that level. Also, the nature of lacrosse being historically a prep school and affluent sport has many participants also severally valuing academics along with the sport leading many top players willing to play at the D3 level for a better education because it is still borderline impossible to make a living off of playing lacrosse still which takes me back to my point on the development of the sport. Secondly, those main college sports like football and basketball are not college sports anymore, they're ran as business that gross millions of dollars in revenue, so the commitment and money invested into those sports have extremely widened the parity of the sport. Anybody who's ever been involved in the game at the college level would know this stuff so to have these wild claims so consistently is wild.
BanksAndTheBeanStalk

Post by BanksAndTheBeanStalk »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:48 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:42 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:37 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:21 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:13 pm Delusional take. How is lacrosse any different from any other top college sports?
If you have to ask this question then you know very little about the sport and its history.
Wow...enlighten me on the the difference.
We've all tried and it's proven impossible. If this a troll job I respect the commitment.

If you want an impartial view though go luck at the 2024 recruiting classes of NJIT vs. the top 4-5 NESCAC teams. Who has more 3-star recruits? I don't believe that IL is the end-all-be-all, but they certainly don't have a New England bias.
Jude Brown had "0" stars, are you really going to quote me BS IL subjective ratings? You know you can buy them right?

Explain the differences between lacrosse and the other major college sports...I'll wait.
Laxdad you also seem to be oblivious to the fact that there’s a pretty established tradition of NESCAC and other high level D3 teams scrimmaging D1 teams (Tufts v Dartmouth, Salisbury v Drexel, Lynchburg v Jacksonville). These games are quite regularly either extremely competitive or straight up wins for the D3 teams. I know scrimmages aren’t completely representative. But the fact that these are even scheduled should point out the absurdity of your NJIT take. No ones saying a NESCAC team is gonna win the D1 natty. Watch a little more D3 ball this spring and try to learn something before spouting off to a whole forum.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

They started giving out three-star rankings after Jude Brown played high school lacrosse.

The three main differences imo: Very little scholarship money compared to roster size, no path to a lucrative professional playing career, and the fact that despite the somewhat bizarre desire to be perceived as "blue collar" and "gritty" it's still dominated by kids from upper middle class to extremely wealthy.

Since the sport won't get you paid a lot players take a path to schools that will get them into strong alumni networks and campus recruiting from top companies.
Last edited by Laxxal22 on Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:38 pm
carbs-asada wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:21 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:13 pm
pcowlax wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:41 pm Amazing to have this same discussion annually. Out of the 8000 players in D3, very few of them could play at any D1 school, even NJIT. However, there is a huge disparity on quality in D3 (see the Bates-Maine Maritime score) and there is a reason the growing list (you could keep going with that, McCormack with 73 goals in 2 years at UVM, etc) of D3>D1 transfers who have thrived have come from a select group of schools. As others have said, those schools would all beat the bottom feeders of D1. Tufts would throttle NJIT by 15, few if any NJIT or similar school players would even see the field at a Tufts, Salisbury, CNU, Amherst, etc. The top 10 D3 teams would regularly beat the bottom third of D1, win somewhat less than half the time vs middle 3rd, lose almost all vs top third and get clobbered by top 10. That said, Duke is not NJIT. You couldn't just put O'Neil on Bates and have then win NESCAC, the D on the other teams again consist of many players who could have played D1 and they would swarm him. But O'Neil, Dyson Williams, Naso, Caputo, Brower and Leadmon? Sure. Not sure what that says about the relative strength of D3 vs D1 though.
Delusional take. How is lacrosse any different from any other top college sports? Do you think the best D3 football, Basketball, baseball team could beat the worst D1 program? It' ain't happening. In football Cortland isn't beating Kent Sate, Akron, La Tech, ECU or UMass. The speed, size, talent gap is the same in lacrosse.
The best middie in D3 is a D1 washout.
He's a great player, and aside from Jude Brown the best I've seen. But, NJIT, Monmouth, Siena, Quinnipiac, etc., would crush NESCAC schools. I know all you NESCAC folk get butt hurt real easy but wake the "F" up.
Did you seriously just compare the parity of college football and basketball to lacrosse?? This has nothing to do with NESCAC fanboys but everything to do with your lack of knowledge about anything related to college lacrosse. This may be the worst take I've ever heard. Hit the books and learn something before coming with terrible takes
Another say nothing...what's the difference?
If you are referring to Dowd, he would probably still be playing Divison 1 if his school did not shut the program down in his first year. That same program where kids who went the D3 route were not even the best players on their team, beside Dowd.

The comparison to football and basketball is atrocious. The difference in the number of players involved in each sport is not even close. There are almost as many D1 Basketball teams than there are total programs in NCAA lacrosse across all divisions. VMI regularly lost to a D3 school every year, some years the games weren't even close and it was an embarrassment to the W & L program if W&L did not beat them by 5+. We scrimmaged VMI when I was at WAC and outside of maybe 10 players, most of them wouldn't sniff the field at a high level D3 school. NJIT is 0-4 against VMI.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Laxdad, you are embarrassing yourself. Here is a difference. In the not so distant past, the top D3 teams in lacrosse would routinely play (and play with) top D1 teams. Hobart didn't usually beat Syracuse but always gave them a game. And that was, of course, Syracuse. They wouldn't have wasted the gas money to play the equivalent of NJIT at the time. Obviously, that isn't and has never bene the case in football. Why? Going to generalize here. Top lacrosse players come from a different socio-economic background than top football and basketball players. Those football and basketball players are looking at playing in college as a springboard for a profession career which is, for many/most of them, their only chance at a high paying career. This obviously isn't so in lacrosse. Going to Gettysburg is actually probably better for their future career prospects than going to Monmouth. How is lacrosse different than high profile college sports? Well, start with the sandpoudingly obvious fact that the Ivy League is one of the 3 best and every now and then THE best conference in D1 lax. Does that strike you as slightly different than football or basketball? The sort of applicant who wants to go IVY but doesn't get recruited is a hell of a lot more likely to then want to play in NESCAC than to play D1 at Cleveland State or Hampton. The football player who doesn't get recruited to Alabama is going to go to Toledo not Williams because, a) they almost certainly wouldn't get into Williams and b) they get a full scholarship from any FBS or FCS school they go to, no matter how crappy the team is. This is to say nothing of the issues others have raised about how much more work lax is at a D1 school (which doesn't make the players at lower tier D1 schools better, just with less time for other interests). This conversation is silly. D3 teams beat D1 teams in scrimmages every year (yes, yes, scrimmages, I know). I actually really don't believe you have watched much lacrosse. The top 10 D3 teams would beat any of the bottom 10 D1 teams by 10+. Tufts would get a MUCH tougher game with Amherst than vs UMASS-Lowell.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:02 pm They started giving out three-star rankings after Jude Brown played high school lacrosse.

The three main differences imo: Very little scholarship money compared to roster size, no path to a lucrative professional playing career, and the fact that despite the somewhat bizarre desire to be perceived as "blue collar" and "gritty" it's still dominated by kids from upper middle class to extremely wealthy.

Since the sport won't get you paid a lot players take a path to schools that will get them into strong alumni networks and campus recruiting from top companies.
This is a funny backhanded smack at how long some of the COVID era players have been in college :lol:
smoova

Post by smoova »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:34 pm
carbs-asada wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:16 pm
smoova wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:16 pm We see some version of this discussion every year. The top 5-6 NESCAC rosters are loaded (>80% based on the teams/players I know personally) with players who declined multiple, early offers from bottom-50 DI programs. There isn't a history of kids going from NESCACs to DI because (i) players have never before been afforded additional eligibility beyond what they could use in the NESCAC and (ii) when NESCAC players otherwise stop playing lacrosse before their eligibility expires, they (for obvious reasons) typically stay at the same school to graduate/take good jobs. The coaches at NJIT would kill kittens for a chance to commit any of the starters on the top NESCAC squads (and probably a number of the Bates starters as well). Heck, my son's club team had 3 starters commit to NESCACs before two backups committed to NJIT (and those two kids were in the early half of NJIT's commit class).
I mean finally somebody who knows what he's talking about. I swear to God some of you don't know anything about how college lax works
Every situation is different with kids and the schools. Not every family can afford NESCAC schools. NJIT you have to be 100% academics 1st, its smack dab in the middle of Newark, 6am practice followed by lift and usually 1-2 night classes, it's not the typical college experience. Other than the best athletic facilities around, it's not a big draw to most kids. Brainiac athletes and kids that are D1 or bust tend to end up there. That being said, they would destroy NESCAC schools.
Brainiac athletes? My man, if you are trolling us, you are doing a h3ll of a job. If not, then I beg you to compare the admission rates of NJIT and Middlebury or Wesleyan, which are probably least selective of the "top" NESCAC programs. Financial aid at top NESCACs is based only on need and aid kicks in at family incomes south of ~$125k ... folks may turn away from NESCACs because they aren't admitted or don't want to pay the tuition, but nobody walks away because they can't afford it.

I don't know what else to tell you about the level of recruits on these teams beyond what I wrote above ... I can personally attest to the fact that the vast majority of players at the top NESCACs turned down many offers from DI programs that are far superior to NJIT. I'm sorry, but it's true.
Last edited by smoova on Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

smoova wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:27 pm
smoova wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:16 pm We see some version of this discussion every year. The top 5-6 NESCAC rosters are loaded (>80% based on the teams/players I know personally) with players who declined multiple, early offers from bottom-50 DI programs. There isn't a history of kids going from NESCACs to DI because (i) players have never before been afforded additional eligibility beyond what they could use in the NESCAC and (ii) when NESCAC players otherwise stop playing lacrosse before their eligibility expires, they (for obvious reasons) typically stay at the same school to graduate/take good jobs. The coaches at NJIT would kill kittens for a chance to commit any of the starters on the top NESCAC squads (and probably a number of the Bates starters as well). Heck, my son's club team had 3 starters commit to NESCACs before two backups committed to NJIT (and those two kids were in the early half of NJIT's commit class).
I mean finally somebody who knows what he's talking about. I swear to God some of you don't know anything about how college lax works
Every situation is different with kids and the schools. Not every family can afford NESCAC schools. NJIT you have to be 100% academics 1st, its smack dab in the middle of Newark, 6am practice followed by lift and usually 1-2 night classes, it's not the typical college experience. Other than the best athletic facilities around, it's not a big draw to most kids. Brainiac athletes and kids that are D1 or bust tend to end up there. That being said, they would destroy NESCAC schools.
Brainiac athletes? My man, if you are trolling us, you are doing a h3ll of a job. If not, then I beg you to compare the admission rates of NJIT and Middlebury or Wesleyan, which are probably least selective of the "top" NESCAC programs. Also, financial aid at top NESCACs is based only on need and aid kicks in at family incomes south of ~$125k ... folks may turn away from NESCACs because they aren't admitted or don't want to pay the tuition, but nobody walks away because they can't afford it.
Acceptance rate for NJIT is 69% :lol:
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:34 pm Acceptance rate for NJIT is 69% :lol:
"Nice" -Rob Gronkowski if he saw that number
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:10 pm …The sort of applicant who wants to go IVY but doesn't get recruited is a hell of a lot more likely to then want to play in NESCAC than to play D1 at Cleveland State or Hampton. The football player who doesn't get recruited to Alabama is going to go to Toledo not Williams because, a) they almost certainly wouldn't get into Williams…
Truth. I think that’s what is getting lost in the shuffle here. These (>80% ?!?) high NESCAC rostered players that turn down multiple DI offers are also likely not getting offers from their top high academic DI choice. They may choose Tufts or whatever over a DI team that would absolutely smoke them too, for the quality of the Tufts degree (I would). Just saying.
smoova

Post by smoova »

choochooCharlie wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:27 pm
pcowlax wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:10 pm …The sort of applicant who wants to go IVY but doesn't get recruited is a hell of a lot more likely to then want to play in NESCAC than to play D1 at Cleveland State or Hampton. The football player who doesn't get recruited to Alabama is going to go to Toledo not Williams because, a) they almost certainly wouldn't get into Williams…
Truth. I think that’s what is getting lost in the shuffle here. These (>80% ?!?) high NESCAC rostered players that turn down multiple DI offers are also likely not getting offers from their top high academic DI choice. They may choose Tufts or whatever over a DI team that would absolutely smoke them too, for the quality of the Tufts degree (I would). Just saying.
True - most kids contributing at top NESCACs did not receive offers from top Ivies (sorry Dartmouth), Duke, JHU, ND or UVA before July 1. There's truth in the adage that "To play at an Ivy you must be a great player and a very good student ... to play at a NESCAC, you must be be a very good player and a great student."

(IME, Tufts is a little different admissions animal for recruits than Williams/Amherst/Midd/Bowdoin/Wes, but that's splitting hairs.)
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:34 pm
Brainiac athletes? My man, if you are trolling us, you are doing a h3ll of a job. If not, then I beg you to compare the admission rates of NJIT and Middlebury or Wesleyan, which are probably least selective of the "top" NESCAC programs. Also, financial aid at top NESCACs is based only on need and aid kicks in at family incomes south of ~$125k ... folks may turn away from NESCACs because they aren't admitted or don't want to pay the tuition, but nobody walks away because they can't afford it.
That doesn’t mean what you think it does :lol:
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:12 pm
pcowlax wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:34 pm
That doesn’t mean what you think it does :lol:
I thought that you said that your son plays D3, why are you so hung up on NJIT, and how do you know so much about the team, do you have another son that plays at NJIT?
NoseDownIncorporated

Post by NoseDownIncorporated »

BanksAndTheBeanStalk wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:52 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:13 pm Delusional take. How is lacrosse any different from any other top college sports?
If you have to ask this question then you know very little about the sport and its history.
We've all tried and it's proven impossible. If this a troll job I respect the commitment.

If you want an impartial view though go luck at the 2024 recruiting classes of NJIT vs. the top 4-5 NESCAC teams. Who has more 3-star recruits? I don't believe that IL is the end-all-be-all, but they certainly don't have a New England bias.
Jude Brown had "0" stars, are you really going to quote me BS IL subjective ratings? You know you can buy them right?

Explain the differences between lacrosse and the other major college sports...I'll wait.
Laxdad you also seem to be oblivious to the fact that there’s a pretty established tradition of NESCAC and other high level D3 teams scrimmaging D1 teams (Tufts v Dartmouth, Salisbury v Drexel, Lynchburg v Jacksonville). These games are quite regularly either extremely competitive or straight up wins for the D3 teams. I know scrimmages aren’t completely representative. But the fact that these are even scheduled should point out the absurdity of your NJIT take. No ones saying a NESCAC team is gonna win the D1 natty. Watch a little more D3 ball this spring and try to learn something before spouting off to a whole forum.
Hey Beanstalk, Laxdad has a point, division three players are squids compared to D1. All of the matchups you listed have no official results and i've heard from inside sources that the games never even occurred. It is a major NCAA conspiracy which I believe Laxdad has gotten to the bottom of. You're gonna have to give me some hard evidence that these teams have ever actually stepped on the same field together.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:10 pm Laxdad, you are embarrassing yourself. Here is a difference. In the not so distant past, the top D3 teams in lacrosse would routinely play (and play with) top D1 teams. Hobart didn't usually beat Syracuse but always gave them a game. And that was, of course, Syracuse. They wouldn't have wasted the gas money to play the equivalent of NJIT at the time. Obviously, that isn't and has never bene the case in football. Why? Going to generalize here. Top lacrosse players come from a different socio-economic background than top football and basketball players. Those football and basketball players are looking at playing in college as a springboard for a profession career which is, for many/most of them, their only chance at a high paying career. This obviously isn't so in lacrosse. Going to Gettysburg is actually probably better for their future career prospects than going to Monmouth. How is lacrosse different than high profile college sports? Well, start with the sandpoudingly obvious fact that the Ivy League is one of the 3 best and every now and then THE best conference in D1 lax. Does that strike you as slightly different than football or basketball? The sort of applicant who wants to go IVY but doesn't get recruited is a hell of a lot more likely to then want to play in NESCAC than to play D1 at Cleveland State or Hampton. The football player who doesn't get recruited to Alabama is going to go to Toledo not Williams because, a) they almost certainly wouldn't get into Williams and b) they get a full scholarship from any FBS or FCS school they go to, no matter how crappy the team is. This is to say nothing of the issues others have raised about how much more work lax is at a D1 school (which doesn't make the players at lower tier D1 schools better, just with less time for other interests). This conversation is silly. D3 teams beat D1 teams in scrimmages every year (yes, yes, scrimmages, I know). I actually really don't believe you have watched much lacrosse. The top 10 D3 teams would beat any of the bottom 10 D1 teams by 10+. Tufts would get a MUCH tougher game with Amherst than vs UMASS-Lowell.
Please read this novel you wrote and ask yourself who should be embarrassed. You’re all over the place man.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Hey Beanstalk,
My son PLAYS D3, and thanks to streaming, I watch 10x more D3 than any other level. The arrogance of NESCAC parents and former players is astounding. Guys, there's a reason they have different divisions. Back to you Beanstalk, maybe you should watch more D1 and learn more about IT. Concentrate though, it moves a lot faster.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

I love that laxdad has graduated from the dirty Jersey chat and has joined the big boys in the NESCAC. Being a Jersey guy I say with confidence that NJIT would undoubtedly finish in the top 7 if they were in the NESCAC. 9 weeks till opening weekend!
slippinjimmy

Post by slippinjimmy »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:27 pm

Hey Beanstalk,
My son PLAYS D3, and thanks to streaming, I watch 10x more D3 than any other level. The arrogance of NESCAC parents and former players is astounding. Guys, there's a reason they have different divisions. Back to you Beanstalk, maybe you should watch more D1 and learn more about IT. Concentrate though, it moves a lot faster.
Laxdad,
Your argument about having different divisions makes sense in theory, but what you are missing is that these division 3 schools have the recruiting appeal of being better academic schools than most division 1 schools. A lot of these high quality schools in the NESCAC are more appealing to high quality players who could easily play at these low end D1 (maybe even mid tier D1) teams. Now with this being said you need to watch more D1 film obviously because teams like UMass Lowell, Wagner, Hampton, Detroit Mercy, NJIT, Etc. would get blown out by a lot of D3 teams (RIT, Union, Tufts, Middlebury, CNU...) The argument of the ball moving faster is just false - watch any of these top D3 and how fast the ball moves and compare it to the previously listed low end D1 teams.
NoseDownIncorporated

Post by NoseDownIncorporated »

SKUD wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:51 pm I love that laxdad has graduated from the dirty Jersey chat and has joined the big boys in the NESCAC. Being a Jersey guy I say with confidence that NJIT would undoubtedly finish in the top 7 if they were in the NESCAC. 9 weeks till opening weekend!
Jersey pride can't replace stick skills and IQ. NJIT would likely be a bottom 4 team in the NESCAC.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

SKUD wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:51 pm I love that laxdad has graduated from the dirty Jersey chat and has joined the big boys in the NESCAC.
Please take him back :lol:

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”