D1 Men NCAA Tournament

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxpert

Re: D1 Men NCAA Tournament

Post by laxpert »

Is the NCAA still limiting the number of team members that can be on the sideline dressed or not dressed? If the school covers any additional costs what's the issue?
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

it would be far more satisfying if the selection committee simply let in the conference champions, and then awarded at-large bids however the heck they felt like - you know kind of the way the do now, but with them admitting that they chose who they chose and go pound sand if you don't like it....

why pretend to hide behind analytics that you are obviously not using? Just pick who you want and dont appologize
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Announcers for this weekend have been announced.

Saturday, May 11

Noon
Syracuse at No. 8 Loyola
Anish Shroff, Quint Kessenich

2:30 p.m.
Georgetown at No. 5 Yale
Chris Cotter, Paul Carcaterra/Mike Golic Jr.

5:00 p.m.
Army at No. 4 Penn
Booker Corrigan, Ryan Boyle

7:30 p.m.
Robert Morris at No. 3 Virginia
Mike Corey, Don Zimmerman/Matt Ward

Sunday, May 12

Noon
UMBC/Marist at No. 1 Penn State
John Brickley, Mark Dixon

Maryland at No. 6 Towson

Richmond at No. 2 Duke
Jay Alter, Ryan Flanagan

Johns Hopkins at No. 7 Notre Dame
Chris Cotter, Paul Carcaterra
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
CU77

Post by CU77 »

HooDat wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:28 pm it would be far more satisfying if the selection committee simply let in the conference champions, and then awarded at-large bids however the heck they felt like - you know kind of the way the do now, but with them admitting that they chose who they chose and go pound sand if you don't like it....

why pretend to hide behind analytics that you are obviously not using? Just pick who you want and dont appologize
I agree with this. This is what the basketball committee does. Their selection criteria are to pick the best teams, period, using any and all available info.

The other extreme is hockey, which uses a precise mathematical formula for selection and seeding.

The "just pick" method requires committee members who actually know something about the sport. Most lax committee members are not in this category.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:26 pmAnnouncers for this weekend have been announced.
It's good that Quint and Carc have been split up.

I wish Boyle was doing a Sunday game.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

:?
laxpert wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:07 pm Is the NCAA still limiting the number of team members that can be on the sideline dressed or not dressed? If the school covers any additional costs what's the issue?
For championship, the NCAA allows all 4 participants to bring every player. Reward for making it. DU brought over 50 many years. This year, we are playing gold and fishing early, maybe even some spring skiing. :cry: :shock: :? :? :? :? :?
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Catbird wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:09 am Hop missed the NCAAs in 2013 at 9-5 with a better team (probably the last time the team had a consistently "good" defense) than they had in 2016 or 2017 or 2019 when they made it with 6+ losses against a tougher schedule. Even beat #1 Maryland but no other wins were worth anything. That team didn't have the quality wins or SOS thanks to alot of "standard" teams on the schedule having a down year.

Would seem to disagree with your assertion.
Nope. That doesn't count. That was the first time Hop didn't get a bid in 41 years and they didn't deserve one. They had one quality win - Maryland. The only tournament team they beat was Towson, who was AQ but unseeded. Maryland was not #1 on selection day. They were a 6 seed. Who exactly received a bid that year and did not deserve it in place of Hopkins?
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:11 pm
Chousnake wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:57 pm Does anything tell more about comparing one team to another than what happens on the field in an actual lacrosse game? Games are played for a reason!

Rutgers beating JHU twice provides rock solid indisputable evidence that they were the better team.
If you believe this is true then why are you complaining about Hopkins getting in and not Maryland?
I actually think Cornell deserved a bid over Maryland and that Maryland should have been the last team out. I was just arguing that head -to - head means more than RPI/SOS when the teams are close
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Chousnake wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:27 pm Nope. That doesn't count. That was the first time Hop didn't get a bid in 41 years and they didn't deserve one. They had one quality win - Maryland. The only tournament team they beat was Towson, who was AQ but unseeded. Maryland was not #1 on selection day. They were a 6 seed. Who exactly received a bid that year and did not deserve it in place of Hopkins?
Later on the same page, by the same poster that you replied to:

"For the record I was have a very good memory of laxpower having posted there for years under a different name and there was next to no crying from Jays fans when we were left to go golfing that season."

No one in this thread said that Hopkins deserved to be in that year. Quite the contrary.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

CU77 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:54 pm
HooDat wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:28 pm it would be far more satisfying if the selection committee simply let in the conference champions, and then awarded at-large bids however the heck they felt like - you know kind of the way the do now, but with them admitting that they chose who they chose and go pound sand if you don't like it....

I agree with this. This is what the basketball committee does. Their selection criteria are to pick the best teams, period, using any and all available info.

The other extreme is hockey, which uses a precise mathematical formula for selection and seeding.

The "just pick" method requires committee members who actually know something about the sport. Most lax committee members are not in this category.
tbf, hockey teams play ~40 games. That's more than b'ball and more than 2x that of lax games.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Doesn't matter. Fewer games just means more uncertainty about ranking, no matter what method is used, including expert opinion (which is not the method used by the lax committee).
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

UMBC is still dancing!

Not enough is being said on these boards about how every state of Maryland team is in the D1 big dance (except the one that had the easiest path Mount St. Mary's!).

Count 'em: Loyola, Towson, UMBC, Hopkins, Maryland, and even Georgetown. 6 Maryland teams. Almost all of whom will lose in the next round except one of Towson or UMD, but hey, who's counting now? :lol:

In any event, has this ever happened in the history of the D1 tournament, every Maryland team survived the regular season and made it into the tournament? Am I missing any team besides the Mount?
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:04 am UMBC is still dancing!

Not enough is being said on these boards about how every state of Maryland team is in the D1 big dance (except the one that had the easiest path Mount St. Mary's!).

Count 'em: Loyola, Towson, UMBC, Hopkins, Maryland, and even Georgetown. 6 Maryland teams. Almost all of whom will lose in the next round except one of Towson or UMD, but hey, who's counting now? :lol:

In any event, has this ever happened in the history of the D1 tournament, every Maryland team survived the regular season and made it into the tournament? Am I missing any team besides the Mount?
Navy?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Drcthru wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:24 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:04 am UMBC is still dancing!

Navy?

Argh! I knew I forgot someone.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:11 pm
Chousnake wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:57 pm Does anything tell more about comparing one team to another than what happens on the field in an actual lacrosse game? Games are played for a reason!

Rutgers beating JHU twice provides rock solid indisputable evidence that they were the better team.
If you believe this is true then why are you complaining about Hopkins getting in and not Maryland?
Because Maryland has a .733 winning percentage ????????? Tied with Duke, Towson, Loyola.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:26 pm Announcers for this weekend have been announced.

Saturday, May 11

Noon
Syracuse at No. 8 Loyola

Georgetown at No. 5 Yale
Chris Cotter, Paul Carcaterra/Mike Golic Jr.

Army at No. 4 Penn
Booker Corrigan, Ryan Boyle

Robert Morris at No. 3 Virginia
Mike Corey, Don Zimmerman/Matt Ward

Sunday, May 12

Noon
UMBC/Marist at No. 1 Penn State
John Brickley, Mark Dixon

Maryland at No. 6 Towson

Richmond at No. 2 Duke
Jay Alter, Ryan Flanagan

Johns Hopkins at No. 7 Notre Dame
Chris Cotter, Paul Carcaterra
Do Chris Cotter and Paul the Barber get along ? Cotter doens't seem to care for the superhero's, swag talk.

Do you have the Officials assignments yet?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Do you think the non-lacrosse members defer to Amplo and Meade?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:03 am

Do you think the non-lacrosse members defer to Amplo and Meade?
I would not be surprised (I think I posted something similar on the JHU thread) if they run the RPI numbers and then ask the coaches on the committee if there is a clear injustice on the last in / first out. I expect it the coaches reply, 'you have to swap them', then yes, the ADs would defer to the coaches.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

They did that in the past and got excorciated. Bs k to the future I guess. First it was we want more objective criteria because blah blah blah. Now it’s we don’t want objective criteria blah blah blah. Next year sue the committee. By that time the Derby law suit will be settled
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The numbers are the numbers. It all starts there.

The committee has guidelines and rules. I have not heard any of those coaches complaint. they were treated unfairly sc offing to the guidelines.

My cynicism is triggered by the thought Garnsey May be reinstated at ND for their playoff game after well .,,

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”