NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Asgot

Re: NESCAC

Post by Asgot »

Dowd, Christmas, Cook, Cabniss, and Gaston off the top of my head. There are 3 kids who played at Tufts Last year that will make an impact at the D-1 level this year and 2 more from Amherst. There is a kid at OSU from York who is in line to start. NJIT would get throttled by those final four teams and most if not all of the top ten. It is pretty clear that you have not seen a lot of these top ten teams play
Chipzhoo

Post by Chipzhoo »

TROLL ALERT:

NJIT, Bucknell, Sacred Heart, Monmouth, Hofstra, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, Siena, all bottom 3rd teams will beat all NESCAC teams. Salisbury, CNU would be good games. Name me a current player in D3 that would impact a D1 team, not see time, make an impact.
[/quote]
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Asgot wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:25 pm Dowd, Christmas, Cook, Cabniss, and Gaston off the top of my head. There are 3 kids who played at Tufts Last year that will make an impact at the D-1 level this year and 2 more from Amherst. There is a kid at OSU from York who is in line to start. NJIT would get throttled by those final four teams and most if not all of the top ten. It is pretty clear that you have not seen a lot of these top ten teams play
10 out of 8000 D3 players, quite an impact. Also didn't Cook transfer out of Richmond after his soph year?

NJIT, Bucknell, Sacred Heart, Monmouth, Hofstra, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, Siena, would beat all D3 teams with the exception of Salisbury, CNU and maybe RIT. But, those would all be good games.

I watch and attend a lot of games in both divisions. The size and speed are very different.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I know players who get time on D1 teams that have/would destroy NJIT that made late commitments after hoping for Tufts/Amherst/Middlebury offers that never came through. If the offers aren't coming from a top 40 school with strong academics, there's a lot of kids who'd rather do things like study abroad, get 30 days of skiing in before the season starts, and win 70% of their games for schools with country-club like campuses than commit to four years of 6 am lifts and getting their dicks kicked in all season.

Yes, there is a big difference between D1 and D3 but there are also a huge gaps within D1 itself. I don't think a D3 team would go above .500 on the season, but they certainly could win games against the bottom 1/3.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:07 pm I know players who get time on D1 teams that have/would destroy NJIT that made late commitments after hoping for Tufts/Amherst/Middlebury offers that never came through. If the offers aren't coming from a top 40 school with strong academics, there's a lot of kids who'd rather do things like study abroad, get 30 days of skiing in before the season starts, and win 70% of their games for schools with country-club like campuses than commit to four years of 6 am lifts and getting their dicks kicked in all season.

Yes, there is a big difference between D1 and D3 but there are also a huge gaps within D1 itself. I don't think a D3 team would go above .500 on the season, but they certainly could win games against the bottom 1/3.
The commitment is different for sure. Gaps in all divisions, in all sports. But, the gap between the the divisions, is huge.
BanksAndTheBeanStalk

Post by BanksAndTheBeanStalk »

laxdad1434 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:58 pm
Asgot wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:25 pm Dowd, Christmas, Cook, Cabniss, and Gaston off the top of my head. There are 3 kids who played at Tufts Last year that will make an impact at the D-1 level this year and 2 more from Amherst. There is a kid at OSU from York who is in line to start. NJIT would get throttled by those final four teams and most if not all of the top ten. It is pretty clear that you have not seen a lot of these top ten teams play
10 out of 8000 D3 players, quite an impact. Also didn't Cook transfer out of Richmond after his soph year?

NJIT, Bucknell, Sacred Heart, Monmouth, Hofstra, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, Siena, would beat all D3 teams with the exception of Salisbury, CNU and maybe RIT. But, those would all be good games.

I watch and attend a lot of games in both divisions. The size and speed are very different.
You just don’t know ball. Especially for watching and attending so many games in both divisions…
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

BanksAndTheBeanStalk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:31 pm

You just don’t know ball. Especially for watching and attending so many games in both divisions…
Funny how everybody forgets Jack Boyden, he is competing against the top recruits in the county and will likely be an impact player.
BrickWall6969

Post by BrickWall6969 »

Any early predictions for rankings on the 2024 NESCAC season?
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

BrickWall6969 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:49 pm Any early predictions for rankings on the 2024 NESCAC season?
Outside of the inevitable upset, probably very similar to final standings last year.. the 6,7,8,9 slots are the real guessing game
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

BrickWall6969 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:49 pm Any early predictions for rankings on the 2024 NESCAC season?
Depends on how many Duke transfers end up at Bates.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

shorelax12 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:40 pm
BanksAndTheBeanStalk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:31 pm

Funny how everybody forgets Jack Boyden, he is competing against the top recruits in the county and will likely be an impact player.
I agree, but he’s an exception, it’s not often that happens.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

The starters on the top teams in the Nescac would have no issue at the D1 level. McAfee, Gonzalez, Jacoby are others to add to the list
smoova

Post by smoova »

Bates was an interesting case in 2023. Finished the season 1-14, last in the NESCAC. Only win was a 24-2 shellacking of Maine Maritime ... a team that went 14-4, won the NACC and made the NCAA tournament.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

smoova wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:45 am Bates was an interesting case in 2023. Finished the season 1-14, last in the NESCAC. Only win was a 24-2 shellacking of Maine Maritime ... a team that went 14-4, won the NACC and made the NCAA tournament.
A quick look at the Maine Maritime 2023 slate of opponents and related scores makes apparent that this speaks more to the overall weakness of their schedule than it does to any strength at the bottom of the NESCAC.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
smoova

Post by smoova »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:56 am
smoova wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:45 am Bates was an interesting case in 2023. Finished the season 1-14, last in the NESCAC. Only win was a 24-2 shellacking of Maine Maritime ... a team that went 14-4, won the NACC and made the NCAA tournament.
A quick look at the Maine Maritime 2023 slate of opponents and related scores makes apparent that this speaks more to the overall weakness of their schedule than it does to any strength at the bottom of the NESCAC.
Interesting reaction.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

georgeoar394 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:05 pm The starters on the top teams in the Nescac would have no issue at the D1 level. McAfee, Gonzalez, Jacoby are others to add to the list
I think this is correct re "starters on the top teams in NESCAC" though only a portion of those starters would actually start on top 20 D1 teams. But a few certainly would. And others would be solid contributors. And more so as get beyond Top 20 level teams. Depth is another matter.

However, IMO the very best NESCAC team in any given year could beat numerous teams outside the Top 20 and could even upset a 10-20 team, though that'd be more of a shock. But possible on any given Saturday.

The comments about players who didn't get the tap in time to go to a top academic D1 program but who had the opportunity to go to a NESCAC is valid. On the other hand, it's also valid that the training and commitment level is lower, depth is not as great, so team-wide competing with stronger D1 teams would not yield many wins on a team basis.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

smoova wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:16 am
Interesting reaction.
sounds like the range in DIII is very wide... ;)
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

Versfeld and Yager from AC are also others to add. Yager is not even that big but made a huge impact on the D1 level both at Harvard and UVA
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Laxxal22 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:37 pm
Depends on how many Duke transfers end up at Bates.
I literally laughed out loud.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

smoova wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:16 am
Interesting reaction.
I wasn’t sure what was being inferred by the information provided, so I looked things up for more clarification. And regardless of intended inference, that’s what I saw.

I’m even more uncertain as to what’s being inferred by this follow up statement. Be less vague I guess.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”