OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

spidey44 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:47 am I standby my cupcake of an OOC schedule statement for Clemson. I expect Duke to one up them.
If Duke is playing Hop--then Duke already has a tougher OOC than Clemson. Don't sleep on the Blue Jays this year...
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:59 am
spidey44 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:47 am I standby my cupcake of an OOC schedule statement for Clemson. I expect Duke to one up them.
If Duke is playing Hop--then Duke already has a tougher OOC than Clemson. Don't sleep on the Blue Jays this year...
I missed the mention of that. And if true, definitely bumps them up over the Tigers.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

spidey44 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:02 am
I missed the mention of that. And if true, definitely bumps them up over the Tigers.
It's true. Hop playing a strong OOC schedule as always:
JMU
Stony Brook
Loyola
Duke
USC
Penn
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
Albany
Siena
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

hmmm wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:06 am
JMU
Stony Brook
Loyola
Duke
USC
Penn
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
Albany
Siena
Seems the second tier of ACC schools prefers to pad their records...
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

spidey44 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:09 am
JMU
Stony Brook
Loyola
Duke
USC
Penn
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
Albany
Siena
As mentioned, acc schools don’t need any out of conference games to play at least 5-6 top 20 rpi teams per season AND the acc is so brutal that unless you are Carolina or cuse or bc, your win loss record in conference will be a slight drag on your own rpi rating. So schedule some cupcakes to get the win percentage up….because the quality of opponents in acc is good enough on its own.

No other conference has the same dynamic….
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Teams have to make sure they are .500 or better to get an at large. Looks bad if you are a team like Notre Dame and need to add Eastern Michigan at the end of the year to get that additional win. Every once and a while you see a game after the conference tournaments and before tournament selection.
Kleizaster

Re: Kleizaster's Favorite Railee

Post by Kleizaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:38 am Just noticed that PAC-12 teams will not be playing each other twice during the regular season in '24. A departure from what it's been in years previous. Perhaps it has something to do with upcoming conference realignments.

Also of note. A mere 15 regular season games on the '24 slate for the team Kleizaster most enjoys taking shots at (oft times to comedic levels). 15 regular season games for a non-Ivy League team. Not 16. Not 17. Seems more teams are taking that route. Villanova and now Stanford and probably more teams will follow as more schedules are released. Oh well--what's been good for the powder blue goose...

Get 'em, Kle! 🤣

you know what..not a terrible schedule. So good for Stanford. Maybe it'll help them be ready for the NCAA tournament..in 2025
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:15 am
JMU
Stony Brook
Loyola
Duke
USC
Penn
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
Albany
Siena
As mentioned, acc schools don’t need any out of conference games to play at least 5-6 top 20 rpi teams per season AND the acc is so brutal that unless you are Carolina or cuse or bc, your win loss record in conference will be a slight drag on your own rpi rating. So schedule some cupcakes to get the win percentage up….because the quality of opponents in acc is good enough on its own.

The Big Ten had 4 teams finish in RPI top 20 last year. The ACC had 5. The Big ten had 6 teams finish in the top 32. The ACC had 5. OSU finished last in the Big Ten and finished with an RPI of 44. The ACC had 3 teams finish outside the top 40(Va Tech, Louisville, Pitt). Big Ten teams don't schedule the way the mid-level ACC teams do. Va Tech finished 10-9 with an RPI of 40. Hop finished 9-9 with an RPI of 14. Michigan was 12-8 with an RPI of 12. Clemson was 12-6 with an RPI of 34. Rutgers was 8-9 and theirs was 28. Scheduling matters.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

hmmm wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:27 am
JMU
Stony Brook
Loyola
Duke
USC
Penn
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
Albany
Siena

The Big Ten had 4 teams finish in RPI top 20 last year. The ACC had 5. The Big ten had 6 teams finish in the top 32. The ACC had 5. OSU finished last in the Big Ten and finished with an RPI of 44. The ACC had 3 teams finish outside the top 40(Va Tech, Louisville, Pitt). Big Ten teams don't schedule the way the mid-level ACC teams do. Va Tech finished 10-9 with an RPI of 40. Hop finished 9-9 with an RPI of 14. Michigan was 12-8 with an RPI of 12. Clemson was 12-6 with an RPI of 34. Rutgers was 8-9 and theirs was 28. Scheduling matters.
Big 10 had a very strong year last year. But that’s an anomaly in my opinion. I don’t see sustained excellence for Rutgers, OSU, or Georgetown. Penn state has been up and down. Maryland seems to be on the decline. Hop looks to be on the rise, but I believe they have a ceiling like ivies bc of their admissions bar.

The acc gets the most best recruits. They have 6 programs that are typically top 20 (unc, bc, cuse, nd, uva, duke) and Clemson is likely on the rise as well.

I won’t argue with your numbers from last year because they are right!

But I don’t think you’ll see the bottom 3 of the big 10 with similar rpis this year. Big 10 might have one top 10 team this year.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:46 am
JMU
Stony Brook
Loyola
Duke
USC
Penn
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
Albany
Siena

Big 10 had a very strong year last year. But that’s an anomaly in my opinion. I don’t see sustained excellence for Rutgers, OSU, or Georgetown. Penn state has been up and down. Maryland seems to be on the decline. Hop looks to be on the rise, but I believe they have a ceiling like ivies bc of their admissions bar.

The acc gets the most best recruits. They have 6 programs that are typically top 20 (unc, bc, cuse, nd, uva, duke) and Clemson is likely on the rise as well.

But I don’t think you’ll see the bottom 3 of the big 10 with similar rpis this year. Big 10 might have one top 10 team this year.
In 2022 OSU was again the lowest ranked Big Ten team, but they were at 24. Georgetown isn't in the Big Ten. There are only 7 teams.
NW
MD
Hop
Michigan
PSU
Rutgers
OSU

I would argue that from year to year, all 7 of those teams are better than Va Tech, Pitt and Louisville. There are no easy games there. But you don't see Big Ten teams scheduling OOC like Duke, ND, UVA, Clemson, Va Tech, Louisville and Pitt do. Geography was brought up to excuse NDs scheduling CMU and EMU. Michigan also plays those schools for geographical reasons. But last year they also scheduled Denver, Stony Brook, Florida, and Jacksonville OOC. ND on the other hand played Northwestern and the second highest ranked team was Liberty.

I'll add to this that these teams have gotten smart in terms of manipulating the RPI. Since 50% of the RPI is the record of the teams you play, the key is to schedule mid-majors that finish with very good records. You can't schedule bad teams with bad records, but you can schedule mid-major teams that do very well in their conferences and boost your RPI.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:18 am Geography was brought up to excuse NDs scheduling CMU and EMU. Michigan also plays those schools for geographical reasons. But last year they also scheduled Denver, Stony Brook, Florida, and Jacksonville OOC. ND on the other hand played Northwestern and the second highest ranked team was Liberty.
That's a great point. Hard to find any holes in your numbers or logic. Big 10's obviously been getting a bad rap.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

I don't disagree, but quality of opponents should matter to the selection committee (In my opinion). If your only wins are against Eastern Michigan and Wofford and the like then you don't necessarily deserve to make the tournament
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

hmmm wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:18 am
JMU
Stony Brook
Loyola
Duke
USC
Penn
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
Albany
Siena

In 2022 OSU was again the lowest ranked Big Ten team, but they were at 24. Georgetown isn't in the Big Ten. There are only 7 teams.
NW
MD
Hop
Michigan
PSU
Rutgers
OSU

I would argue that from year to year, all 7 of those teams are better than Va Tech, Pitt and Louisville. There are no easy games there. But you don't see Big Ten teams scheduling OOC like Duke, ND, UVA, Clemson, Va Tech, Louisville and Pitt do. Geography was brought up to excuse NDs scheduling CMU and EMU. Michigan also plays those schools for geographical reasons. But last year they also scheduled Denver, Stony Brook, Florida, and Jacksonville OOC. ND on the other hand played Northwestern and the second highest ranked team was Liberty.

I'll add to this that these teams have gotten smart in terms of manipulating the RPI. Since 50% of the RPI is the record of the teams you play, the key is to schedule mid-majors that finish with very good records. You can't schedule bad teams with bad records, but you can schedule mid-major teams that do very well in their conferences and boost your RPI.
Sorry. Mentally confused Michigan and gtown bc of men.
I would quibble about whether on average Virginia tech is better team than osu but otherwise agree. The big 10 lives in the 10-30 rpi neighborhood from top to nearly bottom. It has traditionally had 2 perennial top 10 teams in Maryland and northwestern, but Maryland seems to be slumping.

Your last point is especially good. Mid majors with good records are the key to your ooc schedule not only providing g you with the WIN component of rpi, but also with opponent record portion….
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:51 am
hmmm wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:18 am
JMU
Stony Brook
Loyola
Duke
USC
Penn
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
Albany
Siena

NW
MD
Hop
Michigan
PSU
Rutgers
OSU

Sorry. Mentally confused Michigan and gtown bc of men.
I would quibble about whether on average Virginia tech is better team than osu but otherwise agree. The big 10 lives in the 10-30 rpi neighborhood from top to nearly bottom. It has traditionally had 2 perennial top 10 teams in Maryland and northwestern, but Maryland seems to be slumping.

Your last point is especially good. Mid majors with good records are the key to your ooc schedule not only providing g you with the WIN component of rpi, but also with opponent record portion….
Apparently I’m just confused in general. Grown men and women in big east. Duh!
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Supposedly last year , the ACC coaches met and talked about not scheduling the lower teams in order to protect the conference RPI. I think some just chose to not follow that guidance.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Looking Forward to 2024 - Army Black Knights schedule

2.9 USC
2.14 at Syracuse
2.17 at Siena
2.24 at Rutgers

3.2 Hofstra
3.6 at Cal
3.9 at Stanford
3.16 Loyola
3.23 Lafayette
3.27 at BU
3.30 Lehigh

4.6 American
4.13 at Navy
4.17 Holy Cross
4.20 at Bucknell
4.25 at Colgate
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Let's not forget Notre Dame had to do a few late adds a few seasons back, including Detroit Mercy, to even break .500 to make it into the tourney. They will continue said antics, along with padding player stats during garbage time, as long as Halfpenny keeps being rewarded with tourney bids and player awards.

I will say I'm fine with adding in CMU and EMU for geographical purposes, as they are close and Sara Tisdale at EMU did a great job of building up the CMU program before she left for the new role. The CMU program is also in good hands.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

OuttaNowhereWregget

Looking Forward to 2024 - Northwestern's schedule

2.10 Syracuse
2.16 at Notre Dame
2.19 Marquette
2.22 at Colorado
2.29 at Boston College

3.3 Central Michigan
3.8 Denver
3.10 Albany
3.16 Johns Hopkins
3.22 at Penn State
3.25 at North Carolina
3.30 Rutgers

4.6 at Maryland
4.13 Ohio State
4.20 at Michigan
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

I suppose since they are reigning National Champs, this schedule is apropos. Only ONE OOC team that wasn't in the 2023 tourney. Color me impressed.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”