Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 51percentcorn »

Also on Instagram I saw the Marquis GoPro on the bball court. Apologies if someone already referenced. I still consider Marquis one of the most tantalizing mysteries of the upcoming season.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:13 pm Also on Instagram I saw the Marquis GoPro on the bball court. Apologies if someone already referenced. I still consider Marquis one of the most tantalizing mysteries of the upcoming season.
One of the many many benefits to last years run and the return of all these upper classmen is that there isn't "the pressure" on a lot of underclassmen like this guy we'd traditionally see and be talking about. It'd be great to see the freshmen many of you and the lacrosse world like so much "pop" or the sophomores really come on, but aside from Collison and Carson Brown there really won't be the focus or need for any of the guys like 92 to become front line guys. A lot of you like brooks english, to me he's closer to 92 in terms of my expectations for him than collison or carson brown.

2025 could be a different matter.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:02 am A lot of you like brooks english, to me he's closer to 92 in terms of my expectations for him than collison or carson brown.
You have a lot of bad takes but somehow this just might be your worst. Do you even know who Brooks English is?

In other news, Cole Williams and Connor DeSimone just got traded for each other in the PLL: https://twitter.com/PremierLacrosse/sta ... 9938695476
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:40 pm 39-36 RM - 4 seconds left oh well
Don’t know if juju stoped caring but semi finals today and SUNY Cortland smashed Randolph Macon and the second game of North central (IL school and likely champ) and wartburg (pretty sure they are IA based) starts in 30 min

https://rmcathletics.com/sidearmstats/football/summary
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:02 am
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:13 pm Also on Instagram I saw the Marquis GoPro on the bball court. Apologies if someone already referenced. I still consider Marquis one of the most tantalizing mysteries of the upcoming season.
One of the many many benefits to last years run and the return of all these upper classmen is that there isn't "the pressure" on a lot of underclassmen like this guy we'd traditionally see and be talking about. It'd be great to see the freshmen many of you and the lacrosse world like so much "pop" or the sophomores really come on, but aside from Collison and Carson Brown there really won't be the focus or need for any of the guys like 92 to become front line guys. A lot of you like brooks english, to me he's closer to 92 in terms of my expectations for him than collison or carson brown.

English is probably the best wing dodger on the team, consistently gets the defense moving off the dodge, and is a very good passer once he draws the slide. He's going to be on the field alot.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:01 am

English is probably the best wing dodger on the team, consistently gets the defense moving off the dodge, and is a very good passer once he draws the slide. He's going to be on the field alot.
He was probably the best player on the field against Lehigh in the fall. I think he can follow his older brother's AA-caliber trajectory if he stays healthy. Creating separation off the dodge is the lifeblood of good offense and he demonstrated he could do that in spades from the second he first stepped on the field as a freshman.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:21 am

He was probably the best player on the field against Lehigh in the fall. I think he can follow his older brother's AA-caliber trajectory if he stays healthy. Creating separation off the dodge is the lifeblood of good offense and he demonstrated he could do that in spades from the second he first stepped on the field as a freshman.
I hope he has a great career but they have a bunch of guys at his group-bauer, chauvette, evans, peshko, grimes, mcdermott who if healthy have had pretty consistent numbers and will likely get pretty consistent playing time and so it's hard to expect a ton from him. He could have a great year, that's the hope, but he isn't proven and whether he's great or not, those other guys are still going to see a lot of the field plus whatever other young kids they want to mix in.

2025 maybe another story in terms of what's needed and expected from him.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:37 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:21 am

I hope he has a great career but they have a bunch of guys at his group-bauer, chauvette, evans, peshko, grimes, mcdermott who if healthy have had pretty consistent numbers and will likely get pretty consistent playing time and so it's hard to expect a ton from him. He could have a great year, that's the hope, but he isn't proven and whether he's great or not, those other guys are still going to see a lot of the field plus whatever other young kids they want to mix in.

2025 maybe another story in terms of what's needed and expected from him.
Do you watch the games? You're not doing anything to dispel the notion that you legit just don't know who Brooks English is. He was already playing ahead of at least three of those guys. "Hard to expect a ton from him" — dude scored our first three goals of the NCAA tournament in the span of about five minutes. I ask this sincerely — did you watch that game? It doesn't sound like you did. Based on the end to last season and everything we've seen in the fall, he is at worst one of the top 6 middies and quite possibly one of the top 3. Yes McDermott and Bauer were out but he was running on the 1st line with Collison and Evans in the fall. He's going to play a ton. You are truly hopeless.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

crawley has been pretty clear he wants to showcase his depth and play lots of guys. That list from last year is 6-7 deep and that's before you get to some of the other kids down the depth chart. he was impressive when he played, but didn't play every game, and unlike other programs that might not run as many players he's not going to see the field as much.

I also don't remember/think he was on man up.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:47 pm he was impressive when he played, but didn't play every game
He was injured.
jhu06 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:47 pm and unlike other programs that might not run as many players he's not going to see the field as much.
What does that have to do with expectations for him?

Most teams are 6-7 deep at the midfield. Again, he's one of the top 6 at bare minimum and likely higher than that. He's going to play a lot and produce if healthy. These are facts.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I prefer (from the above) a Collison, English, Evans line as the 1st line, possibly subbing in Marquis for Evans as well,

versus last year’s “Big Guys” line of Collison Peshko Grimes.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Wish I could run a bookie operation on the Hopkins middie lines - If you take the 13 names listed as M on the roster and the 3 listed as A/M you get a tried and true stats and probability problem of how many combos of 3 can you make out of a set of billiard balls = 560 if you're interested. That's ignoring the 3 freshmen and 1 sophomore listed at attack that many (referring to Chauvette) and some (referring to Marquis/Ayers/and Sorichetti) think could get some runs through the box. I think '16 is likely correct on many counts -
English is likely a Top 4 choice - his speed and separation are different and the lines will very likely look different in May than in February - though with such a veteran group it also has to allow for the possibility it does not change as much as you think. Injuries of course are the big unknown. I myself can't fathom why you would relegate Peshko to 2nd line duty but that's me - Peshko has to reduce turnovers - I'll give you that but he scores big goals. 3 against G'town/2 against MD in the win/2 against Navy/2 against Notre Dame
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Collison, Peshko, Grimes, and English are are locks for the "top 6." I've made my case that I believe H. Chauvette will be in that group sooner rather than later. That would leave Evans, Bauer, McDermott, C. Chauvette, and Phillips vying for one spot — but it's really more like a rotation of two or three (or four) spots, since it seems likely Crawley will max and match with the back end of the midfield group. My guess is the first four guys I listed are rarely if ever rotated out while the remaining six (including H. Chauvette) are used in various combinations until something resembling a solidified 2nd line emerges.

McDermott is an interesting case — he's never been healthy but when he's on the field he generally produces. Point per game on 35% shooting last year, those are numbers you'd like on your 2nd midfield. (Evans and Bauer had similar numbers, but shot it much worse.) Problem is he wasn't doing much this fall either, so might be an uphill climb to get consistent minutes. He could be completely healthy by February but if you're making bets I'd probably edge toward someone like Evans who played in the fall and looked pretty good.

Based on fall usage it does not seem like they see Marquis as an option out of the midfield — he's pegged as the "4th/5th attackman" right now but perhaps that could change, and maybe they didn't want to show all their cards in the fall. Box is a different game than field but if someone scores 160 points in the OJLL then you'd better at least do your due diligence and figure out how that skill set can help you.

Haven't even gotten to Ayers and Iler. Both were impressive in the fall but if you're looking for guys to invest in for 2025 — start with those two. Just too many bodies ahead to have expectations for this season, as good as they've looked. That said, there almost certainly will be injuries as there are every year, so they could both get the call up sooner.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:59 pm Collison, Peshko, Grimes, and English are are locks for the "top 6." I've made my case that I believe H. Chauvette will be in that group sooner rather than later. That would leave Evans, Bauer, McDermott, C. Chauvette, and Phillips vying for one spot — but it's really more like a rotation of two or three (or four) spots, since it seems likely Crawley will max and match with the back end of the midfield group. My guess is the first four guys I listed are rarely if ever rotated out while the remaining six (including H. Chauvette) are used in various combinations until something resembling a solidified 2nd line emerges.

McDermott is an interesting case — he's never been healthy but when he's on the field he generally produces. Point per game on 35% shooting last year, those are numbers you'd like on your 2nd midfield. (Evans and Bauer had similar numbers, but shot it much worse.) Problem is he wasn't doing much this fall either, so might be an uphill climb to get consistent minutes. He could be completely healthy by February but if you're making bets I'd probably edge toward someone like Evans who played in the fall and looked pretty good.

Based on fall usage it does not seem like they see Marquis as an option out of the midfield — he's pegged as the "4th/5th attackman" right now but perhaps that could change, and maybe they didn't want to show all their cards in the fall. Box is a different game than field but if someone scores 160 points in the OJLL then you'd better at least do your due diligence and figure out how that skill set can help you.

Haven't even gotten to Ayers and Iler. Both were impressive in the fall but if you're looking for guys to invest in for 2025 — start with those two. Just too many bodies ahead to have expectations for this season, as good as they've looked. That said, there almost certainly will be injuries as there are every year, so they could both get the call up sooner.
It would be a very good article to read about how kids successfully make the sophomore jump or not-from freshmen getting their feet wet to stardom. I'm sure it takes time in the weight room, health luck, not having a superstar ahead of you on the depth chart but I guess there have to be other things like learning xs and os, film watching, mastering an aspect they struggled with their first year or something. Sometimes you hear the kids talk about changing their diets, or adjusting to bigger/faster competition, learning they need to prepare more or mastering a different aspect of a position than they played in high school.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Following Hopkins social media with pics from the IMCLA ceremony to honor Fred Smith. The pics were loaded with Jays alumni, current coaches, NCAA coaches. One glaring absence. I’m curious if he was there or just didn’t take part in the Jays pics. I’m hoping that wound heals in time
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:25 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:59 pm Collison, Peshko, Grimes, and English are are locks for the "top 6." I've made my case that I believe H. Chauvette will be in that group sooner rather than later. That would leave Evans, Bauer, McDermott, C. Chauvette, and Phillips vying for one spot — but it's really more like a rotation of two or three (or four) spots, since it seems likely Crawley will max and match with the back end of the midfield group. My guess is the first four guys I listed are rarely if ever rotated out while the remaining six (including H. Chauvette) are used in various combinations until something resembling a solidified 2nd line emerges.

It would be a very good article to read about how kids successfully make the sophomore jump or not-from freshmen getting their feet wet to stardom. I'm sure it takes time in the weight room, health luck, not having a superstar ahead of you on the depth chart but I guess there have to be other things like learning xs and os, film watching, mastering an aspect they struggled with their first year or something. Sometimes you hear the kids talk about changing their diets, or adjusting to bigger/faster competition, learning they need to prepare more or mastering a different aspect of a position than they played in high school.
it's all of those things, but the biggest slice is adjusting to the speed of the game. if you can do that, confidence is another delineator.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:00 am Following Hopkins social media with pics from the IMCLA ceremony to honor Fred Smith. The pics were loaded with Jays alumni, current coaches, NCAA coaches. One glaring absence. I’m curious if he was there or just didn’t take part in the Jays pics. I’m hoping that wound heals in time
Different circumstances obviously - but the man in questions X feed had a picture of him with Rabil and Mr. Harrison I believe at the PLL @ Homewood (in a UNC shirt). While I am sure there won't be any Ronny/Jenny/Davey pictures - I can't believe he wouldn't pose with Hop guys for Uncle Fred if he was there.
Tippy73

Post by Tippy73 »

Lady Jays 2024 Lacrosse Schedule has been posted to the Hopkins website:
https://hopkinssports.com/news/2023/12/ ... edule.aspx
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Stony Brooke?

Must be some boutique requested that spelling.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

It's not an exact science but I feel like the best indicator of who makes the sophomore leap is simply that they managed to get on the field in a nontrivial capacity as a freshman. It does happen but it's pretty rare that a guy comes completely out of nowhere his sophomore year having not played at all as a freshman. But if you're forcing your way onto the field your first year, that's usually a pretty good indication that you've got whatever "it" is that's required to subsequently make the leap the following year. And for me that "'it" factor is very closely related to confidence. Freshmen who are not intimidated and just go all in on their size/speed/stick-work/shooting/whatever got them onto a D1 roster in the first place — those are the guys who end up being stars provided their coaches are smart enough (not all are) to accept the growing pains.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”