Miscellaneous Topics 2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
jff97

Re: Miscellaneous Topics 2023

Post by jff97 »

UO22 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:39 pm
jff97 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:24 pm Not that many of the main posters on here want good things for Maryland, but their renovated Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex building opened yesterday. A well deserved upgrade.
https://umterps.com/news/2023/12/8/firs ... s-lacrosse
Great see to the investment into the program. Still crazy that they have to play on that surface. Not a good look.
Yeah the lacrosse team definitely deserves to play on the better field. The only issue on the campus is where to put it. Not much open land to build around so you'd just be taking up more parking spots. Been a little bit since I graduated, but parking was tight then.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Hearing and seeing about a dozen reclasses across top 2027 teams, including 3 on one team.

Not sure if this is an abnormality, a function of how stacked the 26 class is or a sign of things to come. Needless to say, my 2027 was freaking out about it at first until she realized "those girls reclassed for a reason"
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:33 pm Hearing and seeing about a dozen reclasses across top 2027 teams, including 3 on one team.

Not sure if this is an abnormality, a function of how stacked the 26 class is or a sign of things to come. Needless to say, my 2027 was freaking out about it at first until she realized "those girls reclassed for a reason"
I think it’s going to be common. At least those parents did it before high school. There are people doing it after their recruit year because school x didn’t reach out. Guess what. They aren’t reaching out next year too but congratulations. Cost you 60k in boarding school and your kid just left his/her friends for the next two years.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:07 pm Cost you 60k in boarding school and your kid just left his/her friends for the next two years.
For some parents in this sport, that $$ cost is not an issue.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:45 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:07 pm Cost you 60k in boarding school and your kid just left his/her friends for the next two years.
For some parents in this sport, that $$ cost is not an issue.
100%. My wife laughs when she pulls up to my daughter’s teams practice. We have the worst car. By about 30k-35k. 😁
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

jff97 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:10 pm
UO22 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:39 pm
jff97 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:24 pm Not that many of the main posters on here want good things for Maryland, but their renovated Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex building opened yesterday. A well deserved upgrade.
https://umterps.com/news/2023/12/8/firs ... s-lacrosse
Great see to the investment into the program. Still crazy that they have to play on that surface. Not a good look.
Yeah the lacrosse team definitely deserves to play on the better field. The only issue on the campus is where to put it. Not much open land to build around so you'd just be taking up more parking spots. Been a little bit since I graduated, but parking was tight then.
Wish they would upgrade the stadium though. Comparing to other Big 10 teams, the actual stadium isn't much better than what you get at a high school. Great the girls got upgraded lockerrooms, etc, but as a fan, I'd love a better venue to watch. Going to many different schools the past few years as my girls have gone through recruiting, the Terps are falling way behind - and I'm a Terps fan so not trying to pile on.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:07 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:33 pm Hearing and seeing about a dozen reclasses across top 2027 teams, including 3 on one team.

I think it’s going to be common. At least those parents did it before high school. There are people doing it after their recruit year because school x didn’t reach out. Guess what. They aren’t reaching out next year too but congratulations. Cost you 60k in boarding school and your kid just left his/her friends for the next two years.
They didn't though. 3 of of these girls went to high school as freshman last year and are now redoing freshman year.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:33 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:07 pm

They didn't though. 3 of of these girls went to high school as freshman last year and are now redoing freshman year.
I was referring to my examples. The Steps kid reclassed 8th grade. And all the other kids did it in Kindergarten. Sorry for the confusion. I quoted you but I should’ve explained better.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

Reclassification
Academically it makes much more sense to repeat 9th grade than it does to repeat kindergarten.

Classifying and repeating 9th grade allows you to continue to advance academically. Many prep school students do this (regardless of sports). The extra year of high school allows you to take more AP courses and beyond making you much more competitive for higher academic schools and academic scholarships at other schools.

Most good students get more academic scholarship money than athletic scholarship money for lacrosse.

And yes, large post-COVID rosters and extra years have certainly limited some of the playing opportunities for the 20, 21, and 22 classes.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

westcoastlax wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:39 pm Reclassification
Academically it makes much more sense to repeat 9th grade than it does to repeat kindergarten.

Classifying and repeating 9th grade allows you to continue to advance academically. Many prep school students do this (regardless of sports). The extra year of high school allows you to take more AP courses and beyond making you much more competitive for higher academic schools and academic scholarships at other schools.

Most good students get more academic scholarship money than athletic scholarship money for lacrosse.

And yes, large post-COVID rosters and extra years have certainly limited some of the playing opportunities for the 20, 21, and 22 classes.
Wasn’t my point. The kindergarten example was from a previous post saying that most kids that are held back by the parents happens in kindergarten because when they are tested going into K - they are deemed not cognitively ready for school. Nothing to do with sports. It's why you see one or two kids in your son/daughter's class that is a year older. Totally separate and nothing to do with the insane parent holding back kids because they think they have a better chance at getting into Notre Dame to play lax. It’s a good excuse those parents use saying it’s for academic reasons and they just weren't ready for sophomore year, but we know the real reason. It’s all about sports.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

I do know of a few 2025's that reclassed from 2024 that haven't found much recruiting success. Some of these reclasses did get a lot of positive press from IL Women, but it didn't seem to carry much weight.

While I can see value in reclassing when you're an undersized boy, or just going to a few of the JuCo's for boys, with a few of those turning on the cusp players into D1 players, I don't see the same always happening for the women's side of the game.

I'm surprised someone hasn't taken this little niche and ran with it, unless I'm just not in the know.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:33 pm I do know of a few 2025's that reclassed from 2024 that haven't found much recruiting success. Some of these reclasses did get a lot of positive press from IL Women, but it didn't seem to carry much weight.

While I can see value in reclassing when you're an undersized boy, or just going to a few of the JuCo's for boys, with a few of those turning on the cusp players into D1 players, I don't see the same always happening for the women's side of the game.

I'm surprised someone hasn't taken this little niche and ran with it, unless I'm just not in the know.
The reclass that went to a top 10 team would’ve went to a top 10 team last year as well. There was no need for it. Would be like AS or AM reclassified this year instead of committing. And the reclasses this year that think they will have an easier time next year…by all accounts the 2026 is stronger than the mighty 2025s. So there’s that. Good luck to them.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:29 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:33 pm I do know of a few 2025's that reclassed from 2024 that haven't found much recruiting success. Some of these reclasses did get a lot of positive press from IL Women, but it didn't seem to carry much weight.

The reclass that went to a top 10 team would’ve went to a top 10 team last year as well. There was no need for it. Would be like AS or AM reclassified this year instead of committing. And the reclasses this year that think they will have an easier time next year…by all accounts the 2026 is stronger than the mighty 2025s. So there’s that. Good luck to them.
I think the time that it may help is if you're on the younger age range for a class, it is possible reclassing will help you out. There is potential for growth there. However, I don't think we are seeing those player reclassing, which I didn't clarify in my original response. Those are the players that benefit more from a reclass than the majority of players reclassing right now on the girls side.
NotFromMD

Post by NotFromMD »

Would love opinions on best active, or recently active, low attacker?
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:03 pm
westcoastlax wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:39 pm Reclassification

Wasn’t my point. The kindergarten example was from a previous post saying that most kids that are held back by the parents happens in kindergarten because when they are tested going into K - they are deemed not cognitively ready for school. Nothing to do with sports. It's why you see one or two kids in your son/daughter's class that is a year older. Totally separate and nothing to do with the insane parent holding back kids because they think they have a better chance at getting into Notre Dame to play lax. It’s a good excuse those parents use saying it’s for academic reasons and they just weren't ready for sophomore year, but we know the real reason. It’s all about sports.
Eh from what I see many Kindergarten hold backs are upper middle class parents who perceive their kid to be small or are overly hung up by their summer birthday. Or, maybe most common, they see all the other parents hold their summer birthdays and do the same. And the teachers say can’t hurt to have them to do pre-K twice so they claim they have some sort of legit reason. Kids who are of concern and need services should be in school getting those services.

In some ways, parents honestly saying I’m reclassing for the sport advantage is more honest than the nebulous “Johnny wasn’t ready for K” excuse.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

🤦🏻‍♂️
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

NotFromMD wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:06 pm Would love opinions on best active, or recently active, low attacker?
Lots of great attackers can play all over, but to answer the original as stated. McKenna Davis is the best pure low attacker in the game right now. Her vision and ability to dodge to feed is unmated by anyone else in the game.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

NotFromMD wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:06 pm Would love opinions on best active, or recently active, low attacker?
I loved watching Caroline Steele play ... recall one specific NCAA game where she absolutely unstoppable, maybe a final? Help me out, hive brain.

Off the top of my head on current players, I would say Ashley Humphrey (We'll see if she can deliver when she moves up from JV to varsity) and Emma Ward (Love her style of play and have been a fan since her freshman year. Hope she stays healthy in 2024).
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:04 am
I loved watching Caroline Steele play ... recall one specific NCAA game where she absolutely unstoppable, maybe a final? Help me out, hive brain.

Off the top of my head on current players, I would say Ashley Humphrey (We'll see if she can deliver when she moves up from JV to varsity) and Emma Ward (Love her style of play and have been a fan since her freshman year. Hope she stays healthy in 2024).
I never saw a player who would seemingly fly under the radar until a big game or critical moment and then BOOM! Top shelf clutch performer. Perhaps you mean the 2017 national championship vs BC? She scored 6 goals in that one.

"JV to varsity" Great way to say it.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:04 am

Low attack? Jamie Ortega
2nd all time points in NCAA history

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”