***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

HS Boys Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: ***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:27 am
laxfanatic wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:11 am That would be a disaster for Deemer. School isn't going to pay for a top coach, nor give the necessary support.
JC has shown the ability and willpower to support coaches and programs and have real success. In some of the most competitive sports in the nation.
It just depends if they want to.
But given what I'm hearing, no coach should go in without full visibility of the operating budget, or without control of the lacrosse financial aid piece.
Kram, which schools provide the lacrosse coach with control of the "lacrosse financial aid"? For that matter, which schools designate financial aid specifically to lacrosse?

Not saying it doesn't happen, but yikes.

Totally agree re visibility around budget, resources, support, etc.

I didn't see the reference, but only Deemer I know of is Deemer Class...is that an option?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I think they are referring to him but don't even think he lives in MD.
Sent you a PM.
Navylax3

Post by Navylax3 »

I would agree with most of the sentiments here. JC has been losing local talent to Baltimore schools for 40 years. This is not news.

Don was reversing that trend with almost no support. It takes time and he wasn’t given it. Not for performance but for an overly paranoid leadership team at the school.

Also, I ran the shot clock at 6 home games this year and I played lax for over 20. To the expert that commented on that, please come teach me about lacrosse. I can’t wait to understand more.
Navylax3

Post by Navylax3 »

Additionally, the basketball team (12 players?) gets more than the lacrosse team (40 players?) in financial aid.

Who coached basketball? Oh. The AD.
laxfanatic

Post by laxfanatic »

Basketball is a joke..different set of rule apply...but lets do the math 30 lacrosse players paying some tuition and also a part of the community versus 12 basketball players paying no tuition and covering room and board..which is more profitable.... Soccer has done a very good job, girls Lax, football, wrestling, baseball etc. but the favorite child is basketball. The whole leadership needs to go and once that happens I think they will get a top coach.
I personally could never recommend someone for that job and I have plenty of ties to the lax community, sad state of affairs and changes need to be made
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Navylax3 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:55 pm I would agree with most of the sentiments here. JC has been losing local talent to Baltimore schools for 40 years. This is not news.

Don was reversing that trend with almost no support. It takes time and he wasn’t given it. Not for performance but for an overly paranoid leadership team at the school.

Also, I ran the shot clock at 6 home games this year and I played lax for over 20. To the expert that commented on that, please come teach me about lacrosse. I can’t wait to understand more.
Who are you talking to here, Navy?

You've only made two posts under this name and I don't see anyone questioning your lacrosse background...am I missing something? Or was it about not having someone to manage the clock?

I still haven't heard how this went so awry. I don't see why a coach who was having success without a lot of support would get canned, when there are other sports doing well without a lot of support...and sounds like one in particular that folks are saying gets tons of support.

I have zero insights to the personalities, but sounds so crazy that it just seems like there has to be more to the story.

Is there lots of loud expressed resentment about the investment in the basketball program? Is that what rankles the AD and Head of school? Criticism of that investment?
LaxDog

Post by LaxDog »

Hearing the school is finally serious about supporting the program.
But the interest is light.
Too bad. There is some talent/promise there.
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

LaxDog wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:33 pm Hearing the school is finally serious about supporting the program.
But the interest is light.
Too bad. There is some talent/promise there.
The sad part of this is that the coach who seemingly got the short end of the stick is left wondering why? Why was what I was doing was not good enough? What a slap in the face. I have no doubt that he put his heart and soul into every aspect of making the program what every parent would want for their son. It is no wonder that more coaches do not put themselves out there.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

John Carroll has all the potential in the world to compete in lacrosse. Nice campus. Good location. Good academics. Relatively affordable. They are the only private school in Harford County. They even have dorms on campus. They are a sleeping giant. And it would be great for the school and league to have them succeed.

But the president thinks this is 1970s MSA lax where no one is watching.

This is as close to "big time" as HS lacrosse gets. These games are televised and live streamed. Highlights repeated for days following games. You regularly have D1 coaches on the sidelines for games. If you aren't supporting the program, it shows. The president needs to pony up and let the new coach cook.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

thatsmell wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:22 am John Carroll has all the potential in the world to compete in lacrosse. Nice campus. Good location. Good academics. Relatively affordable. They are the only private school in Harford County. They even have dorms on campus. They are a sleeping giant. And it would be great for the school and league to have them succeed.

But the president thinks this is 1970s MSA lax where no one is watching.

This is as close to "big time" as HS lacrosse gets. These games are televised and live streamed. Highlights repeated for days following games. You regularly have D1 coaches on the sidelines for games. If you aren't supporting the program, it shows. The president needs to pony up and let the new coach cook.
Completely agree on the first part, but JC is in Harford County so it draws students from Harford County, right. For JC to compete in lacrosse in the 'A' conference I would think they would need to draw students from outside of Harford County? Hence, the dorms? Otherwise, I do not see them being competitive in the 'A' conference.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Rumor has it the president wanted to change directions because the program was "highly" supported but not showing results.

If the president really believes that, there is a major disconnect.

What I saw this year was a school that didn't care about it's players. The equivalent of sending soldiers to war with a pocket knife. The coach and kids always went down swinging. So my hats off to JC for their fight. There are some good ballplayers and tough kids up there. Just not enough. And that comes down to the school providing financial aid and support. Or letting the lacrosse program fundraise.

There is plenty of talent in Harford to be competitive in the A. But it means keeping all the kids in county, each year. There are currently dozens of Harford families who travel to Baltimore County to play in the A league. The old coach was changing that trend, but you can't do it with just a coach's vision. Especially when some schools are buying players.

The school needs to back the lax program up with financial support to help draw kids in, to get it built. And, that also might mean using the dorms for the occasional boarder like their basketball team does. There are a lot of kids who want to play on the A league. It's a real draw. Just not sure the leadership has the vision/willpower to harness it and make it happen.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
JC Fan

Post by JC Fan »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:55 am Rumor has it the president wanted to change directions because the program was "highly" supported but not showing results.

What I saw this year was a school that didn't care about it's players. The equivalent of sending soldiers to war with a pocket knife. The coach and kids always went down swinging. So my hats off to JC for their fight. There are some good ballplayers and tough kids up there. Just not enough. And that comes down to the school providing financial aid and support. Or letting the lacrosse program fundraise.

There is plenty of talent in Harford to be competitive in the A. But it means keeping all the kids in county, each year. There are currently dozens of Harford families who travel to Baltimore County to play in the A league. The old coach was changing that trend, but you can't do it with just a coach's vision. Especially when some schools are buying players.

The school needs to back the lax program up with financial support to help draw kids in, to get it built. And, that also might mean using the dorms for the occasional boarder like their basketball team does. There are a lot of kids who want to play on the A league. It's a real draw. Just not sure the leadership has the vision/willpower to harness it and make it happen.
Spot on.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

I just saw this on ILhttps://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... lscores/24:

Monday, October 23 2023

Home Away Score
McDonogh (MD) Beaver Country Day (MA) 0 - 99

Why was McDonogh hosting a second-thought MA team and beating them 99 to nothing? And reporting it? Or maybe they lost ninety nine to nothing and I'm misreading this?

Is this a goof?
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:30 pm I just saw this on ILhttps://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... lscores/24:

Monday, October 23 2023

Home Away Score
McDonogh (MD) Beaver Country Day (MA) 0 - 99

Why was McDonogh hosting a second-thought MA team and beating them 99 to nothing? And reporting it? Or maybe they lost ninety nine to nothing and I'm misreading this?

Is this a goof?
Presumably, a data input error and maybe for a different sport. Beaver CD, about 3 miles from my school (also a small private school), has no significant boys teams in any sport that I am aware of (maybe tennis?). RLS never played them and not a lot has changed in the intervening decades as far as I can tell. And there is no way its boys lax team is playing McDonough; although, frankly, if they did play it might be 99-0.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Beaver had good basketball at one point but is not a school for athletes at all. The lacrosse team is meh in a very weak league. It'd be at least 99-0 with a running clock.
heels

Post by heels »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:55 am Rumor has it the president wanted to change directions because the program was "highly" supported but not showing results.

JC was more competitive its first year in the "A" then now when new administration came in. They did not have a ton of wins but competed and many games were at least close. Healthy numbers of around 75 kids and 13 plus coaching staff. Last year lost 8 of 10 league games by more then nine goals! Numbers appear to be down and probably has the worst coaching staff in the league. Not much impact players in younger grades as far as "A" conference goes.

The administration claims all in but are they. 1a Fallston has a better staff and facilities. JC is only team in league without even a D coordinator and let go face off coach who was good with no replacement. Appears they are trying to win on talent alone and not giving kids experienced, proven coaches to develop kids.

Administration doesn't care and talent level, coaches, and facilities are now back to where it was when JC struggled to win in B and wasn't even best in county.
Since JC went to 'A":
Calvert Hall added 2 new turf fields, new scoreboard
BL-dorms and scoreboard
Sp= renovated stadium, added on field locker rooms
Loyola- second stadium plus promising experienced complete coaching staff
+all programs have 10 plus coaches to help kids, JC has like 3 total-(counting adult coaches)
Jc has 10 year old turf, no closed press box, a dividing net that is never not sagging, with no announced upgrades to put in safer fields or update facilities.. Heck the scoreboard that looks like they bought off of Parkville HS complete with poop stains running down support poles and washed out nascar ads that can't even be read anymore. Oldest turf in the league and older then all local publics except one who is scheduled to get new field this spring.

JC did get new basketball court!!!!!

Not sure how much facilities matter in the end but are they trying to compete? Sucks to be current seniors. Not to long till younger kids will realize that" next play" and gets old and losing by 10 goals every game isn't good for development. One thing to lose against good comp. but at least be the best by wide margin in county. Now they are not that much better then 1a public school team in same county. Hopefully administration will leave soon and families can at least get a coaching staff that gives kids a chance to to compete. Not a knock on current staff as it seems the st margrets parents are happy so that must be nice for admissions and admin!
Last edited by heels on Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Question. Seems like multiple players had great seasons in 2023 and, for whatever reason, the prognosticators-at-large aren't recognizing this when they are discussing talented incoming NCAA freshmen. Obviously the Millons of the world don't fall into this category but... What about Shuey? Burlace? Several others. Why aren't these players getting their, what I believe to be deserved, kudos?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”