Israel and West Bank Settlements

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: Israel and Zionism

Post by PizzaSnake »

Curiouser and curiouser.

Strange bedfellows?

“Perhaps the most bizarre spectacle of the past month has been watching some of the world’s most wretched antisemites lining up to give their unalloyed support to Israel. Even more jarring has been their embrace by those who are supposed to advocate for Jewish safety.
These people include the radical US pastor John Hagee, who previously claimed that Adolf Hitler had been born from a lineage of “accursed, genocidally murderous half-breed Jews” and sent by God to help the Jews reach the promised land. (He apologized in 2008 for some of his remarks.) He was invited to speak last Tuesday to an audience of thousands at the March for Israel in Washington, organised by the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, to help “condemn the rising trend of antisemitic violence”.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... za-zionism
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

It is, after all, fruitcake season. :oops:

Musk also on the bandwagon visiting Israel as if he was some kind of world leader and not just another a-hole

In other news from the area - USS Mason, Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyer has an eventful day in the Gulf of Aden. Ship is part of the Eisenhower carrier group deployed in the area.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/uss-mason- ... tral-park/

"Two ballistic missiles were fired from Houthi-controlled areas in Yemen in the direction of USS Mason, an Arleigh-Burke class destroyer, U.S. Central Command said Sunday night. The missiles landed in the Gulf of Aden about 11 miles from the ship, and no injuries or damage were reported.

The USS Mason, which is part of the Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group, had responded to a distress call from M/V Central Park, a commercial ship, saying it was under attack, CENTCOM said.

"Upon arrival, coalition elements demanded release of the vessel," CENTCOM wrote. "Subsequently, five armed individuals debarked the ship and attempted to flee via their small boat. The MASON pursued the attackers resulting in their eventual surrender."

Zodiac said the Central Park, a tanker ship, was carrying phosphoric acid and had an international crew of 22, according to The Associated Press. CENTCOM said Sunday night the ship's crew was safe.

The missiles were fired early Monday morning local time as Mason was "concluding its response" to the distress call, CENTCOM said."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:25 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:56 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:41 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:19 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:50 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:26 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:12 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:45 am
OCanada wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:08 am Just as Israel’s ultimate goal is a Palestinian free land. Israel is a nuclear power with a well trained and well equipped IDF. Where power is overwhelmingly on one side asymmetric warfare is usually the result. The sabra generation and earlier waged a guerrilla warfare against the British. The most famous event being blowing up the King David Hotel with the loss of a hundred or so innocent lives. I believe it was the Irgun but it might have been another group. Back in the 40’s. You really should study up and set your Islamophobia aside. It is the only way peace will ever be achieved.
My Islamophobia is news to me. How do you know what I think?? The UN created Israel in 1948 with the expectations they would figure out the 2 state solution. In case you haven't done your homework, which apparently you did not do, Israel is surrounded by countries that have worked diligently in the past to eradicate Israel. They survive by being strong militarily. Their weakness is what invited the Hamas attack on October 7. Maybe you should take your own advice and bone up on the history of Israel post 1948. Are you familiar with the threat Iran poses to Israel through its surrogate terrorist network? Are you aware of who is supplying Hamas with those 10s of thousands of rockets they launch into Israel?? How does Israel deal with an adversary whose mission #1 is to wipe your people off the face of the earth. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't nazi Germany try doing that 80 years ago??
Do you think folks here who clearly demonstrated deeper knowledge in a subject haven’t done their homework like you? Constant silliness like this which is so totally dumb.

Now I expect you to suck the UNs n**s forever if your going to swing firm their kick in this topic. Because the UN said so if your support.
Funny how all that deep knowledge from all of those smart people hasn't accomplished diddly jack chit since 1948. I didn't create Israel in 1948, the UN made that happen. What is so complicated about this issue that it sails right over your head? Your a self admitted genius. What is your solution?? :roll:
I’ve never claimed to be a genius which makes you a liar with respect to this fact right here and right now. There’s no mistaking it. You are making something up. In fact I’m fairly certain high 145 is below the threshold. Pretty sure 160 is the level. I’m sure compared with your 75 it seems that way but that’s still make believe from you once again.

“What’s your solution” doesn’t address the fact that you just bump around here throwing absolute horses**t against the wall hoping some sticks.

Nothing is sailing over my head. This is a crossing of lines that has no solution other than a final one for one side. This detente of sorts weve had for 50yrs with occasional flare ups IS the solution. The alternative is eradication of a cohort.

It’s no different than the many Republicans who whine about immigration but like the status quo in reality because it’s good for business.

Just stop with the idiocy is all. It’s complete stupidity and a joke. Your brain has to have something of value in it other than spewing this nonsense over and over and over. It’s as much of a joke as trips calling everything in the world TAATs. You are just a caricature of a old man in a simpsons episode now.

As such a great person please tell us all your great accomplishments as in intentional dullard. Let’s focus on things since, say, 1993 (30yrs).
So what your saying is that you have no solution. To quote John McClain...welcome to the party pal. IMO since the UN created this dilemma it should be on them to try and find a solution. Unless of course being the eternal optimist that you are you see a path to peace and a viable 2 state solution. FTR since YOU brought up the dullard issue... you ever read back some of your 150 paragraph posts of financial tedious bullchit that can make a persons eyeballs glaze over and fall right out of their sockets? ;) You have reinvented and redefined the meaning of DULL... Your knowledge works for you. It pretty much bores everybody else to tears. I'm guessing they being other posters are too kind to point that out to you.
Who said it had to be a two state solution? I don’t have an answer (which is confusing to you because answers are more important than questions in your mind) but my initial hypothesis would be a ine state solution with guardrails to ensure neither majority nor minority rule beyond human rights and basic decency. Maybe that’s unrealistic but that feels like the other most likely to improve the misery for all those cats. And the idea they aren’t trying is evidence you make things up without fact. Once again ignoring that you’ve:

Made up lies and projected them onto me
Whined forever about MD sharing a PM that was at worst marginal of cost/value vs what you pulled with me. You’ve lost both the moral high ground and never had the intellectual curiosity of a 18yr old blind and deaf dog let alone a puppy.

It’s on one thread and I’ve been very clear I share things I find relevant form my domain knowledge and happy to stop. I know you don’t read so I’m not worried about your opinion on it. Frankly your confusion about the term dullard actually tells me you aren’t the audience.

And funny what you define as dull while critiquing most everything else in my life which you know so little about.

Definition of dullard, for a dullard:

dullard
noun
dull·​ard ˈdə-lərd
Synonyms of dullard
: a stupid or unimaginative person

Synonyms applicable

Stupid and silly people
airhead berk birdbrain blithering idiot blockhead dumb-ass dummy dunce dunderhead eejit mutt need your head examined idiom nimrod nincompoop stupid thicko tosser troglodyte turkey
Your posts, if you pay attention to detail, tells more about you than you realize. I know your a financial wizard. Outside of that your as dumb as a box of rocks. You do work very diligently to try and sound smarter than you are. Myself I prefer Popeyes words of wisdom... I am what I am and that's all that I am.
Closing the loop. This is boring me and don’t want to do it anymore so you win. Whatever you say goes.
But for leaded gasoline you'd have made that 160 mark... :)

"In 1923, lead was first added to gasoline to help keep car engines healthy. However, automotive health came at the great expense of our own well-being.

A new study calculates that exposure to car exhaust from leaded gas during childhood stole a collective 824 million IQ points from more than 170 million Americans alive today, about half the population of the United States.

The findings, from Aaron Reuben, a PhD candidate in clinical psychology at Duke University, and colleagues at Florida State University, suggest that Americans born before 1996 may now be at greater risk for lead-related health problems, such as faster aging of the brain. Leaded gas for cars was banned in the U.S. in 1996, but the researchers say that anyone born before the end of that era, and especially those at the peak of its use in the 1960s and 1970s, had concerningly high lead exposures as children.

The team’s paper appeared the week of March 7 in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Lead is neurotoxic and can erode brain cells after it enters the body. As such, there is no safe level of exposure at any point in life, health experts say. Young children are especially vulnerable to lead’s ability to impair brain development and lower cognitive ability. Unfortunately, no matter what age, our brains are ill-equipped for keeping it at bay.

“Lead is able to reach the bloodstream once it’s inhaled as dust, or ingested, or consumed in water,” Reuben said. “In the bloodstream, it's able to pass into the brain through the blood-brain barrier, which is quite good at keeping a lot of toxicants and pathogens out of the brain, but not all of them.”

One major way lead used to invade bloodstreams was through automotive exhaust.

To answer the complex question of how leaded gas use for more than 70 years may have left a permanent mark on human health, Reuben and his co-authors Michael McFarland and Mathew Hauer, both professors of sociology at Florida State University, opted for a fairly simple strategy."

https://today.duke.edu/2022/03/lead-exp ... -americans

And more discussion from a propellor head...

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:57 pm
OCanada wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:08 am Just as Israel’s ultimate goal is a Palestinian free land. Israel is a nuclear power with a well trained and well equipped IDF. Where power is overwhelmingly on one side asymmetric warfare is usually the result. The sabra generation and earlier waged a guerrilla warfare against the British. The most famous event being blowing up the King David Hotel with the loss of a hundred or so innocent lives. I believe it was the Irgun but it might have been another group. Back in the 40’s. You really should study up and set your Islamophobia aside. It is the only way peace will ever be achieved.
My Islamophobia is news to me. How do you know what I think?? The UN created Israel in 1948 with the expectations they would figure out the 2 state solution. In case you haven't done your homework, which apparently you did not do, Israel is surrounded by countries that have worked diligently in the past to eradicate Israel. They survive by being strong militarily. Their weakness is what invited the Hamas attack on October 7. Maybe you should take your own advice and bone up on the history of Israel post 1948. Are you familiar with the threat Iran poses to Israel through its surrogate terrorist network? Are you aware of who is supplying Hamas with those 10s of thousands of rockets they launch into Israel?? How does Israel deal with an adversary whose mission #1 is to wipe your people off the face of the earth. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't nazi Germany try doing that 80 years ago??
Do you think folks here who clearly demonstrated deeper knowledge in a subject haven’t done their homework like you? Constant silliness like this which is so totally dumb.

Now I expect you to suck the UNs n**s forever if your going to swing firm their kick in this topic. Because the UN said so if your support.
Funny how all that deep knowledge from all of those smart people hasn't accomplished diddly jack chit since 1948. I didn't create Israel in 1948, the UN made that happen. What is so complicated about this issue that it sails right over your head? Your a self admitted genius. What is your solution?? :roll:
I’ve never claimed to be a genius which makes you a liar with respect to this fact right here and right now. There’s no mistaking it. You are making something up. In fact I’m fairly certain high 145 is below the threshold. Pretty sure 160 is the level. I’m sure compared with your 75 it seems that way but that’s still make believe from you once again.

“What’s your solution” doesn’t address the fact that you just bump around here throwing absolute horses**t against the wall hoping some sticks.

Nothing is sailing over my head. This is a crossing of lines that has no solution other than a final one for one side. This detente of sorts weve had for 50yrs with occasional flare ups IS the solution. The alternative is eradication of a cohort.

It’s no different than the many Republicans who whine about immigration but like the status quo in reality because it’s good for business.

Just stop with the idiocy is all. It’s complete stupidity and a joke. Your brain has to have something of value in it other than spewing this nonsense over and over and over. It’s as much of a joke as trips calling everything in the world TAATs. You are just a caricature of a old man in a simpsons episode now.

As such a great person please tell us all your great accomplishments as in intentional dullard. Let’s focus on things since, say, 1993 (30yrs).
So what your saying is that you have no solution. To quote John McClain...welcome to the party pal. IMO since the UN created this dilemma it should be on them to try and find a solution. Unless of course being the eternal optimist that you are you see a path to peace and a viable 2 state solution. FTR since YOU brought up the dullard issue... you ever read back some of your 150 paragraph posts of financial tedious bullchit that can make a persons eyeballs glaze over and fall right out of their sockets? ;) You have reinvented and redefined the meaning of DULL... Your knowledge works for you. It pretty much bores everybody else to tears. I'm guessing they being other posters are too kind to point that out to you.
Who said it had to be a two state solution? I don’t have an answer (which is confusing to you because answers are more important than questions in your mind) but my initial hypothesis would be a ine state solution with guardrails to ensure neither majority nor minority rule beyond human rights and basic decency. Maybe that’s unrealistic but that feels like the other most likely to improve the misery for all those cats. And the idea they aren’t trying is evidence you make things up without fact. Once again ignoring that you’ve:

Whined forever about MD sharing a PM that was at worst marginal of cost/value vs what you pulled with me. You’ve lost both the moral high ground and never had the intellectual curiosity of a 18yr old blind and deaf dog let alone a puppy.

It’s on one thread and I’ve been very clear I share things I find relevant form my domain knowledge and happy to stop. I know you don’t read so I’m not worried about your opinion on it. Frankly your confusion about the term dullard actually tells me you aren’t the audience.

And funny what you define as dull while critiquing most everything else in my life which you know so little about.

dullard
noun
dull·​ard ˈdə-lərd
Synonyms of dullard

Synonyms applicable

Stupid and silly people
airhead berk birdbrain blithering idiot blockhead dumb-ass dummy dunce dunderhead eejit mutt need your head examined idiom nimrod nincompoop stupid thicko tosser troglodyte turkey
Your posts, if you pay attention to detail, tells more about you than you realize. I know your a financial wizard. Outside of that your as dumb as a box of rocks. You do work very diligently to try and sound smarter than you are. Myself I prefer Popeyes words of wisdom... I am what I am and that's all that I am.
Closing the loop. This is boring me and don’t want to do it anymore so you win. Whatever you say goes.

"In 1923, lead was first added to gasoline to help keep car engines healthy. However, automotive health came at the great expense of our own well-being.

A new study calculates that exposure to car exhaust from leaded gas during childhood stole a collective 824 million IQ points from more than 170 million Americans alive today, about half the population of the United States.

The findings, from Aaron Reuben, a PhD candidate in clinical psychology at Duke University, and colleagues at Florida State University, suggest that Americans born before 1996 may now be at greater risk for lead-related health problems, such as faster aging of the brain. Leaded gas for cars was banned in the U.S. in 1996, but the researchers say that anyone born before the end of that era, and especially those at the peak of its use in the 1960s and 1970s, had concerningly high lead exposures as children.

The team’s paper appeared the week of March 7 in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Lead is neurotoxic and can erode brain cells after it enters the body. As such, there is no safe level of exposure at any point in life, health experts say. Young children are especially vulnerable to lead’s ability to impair brain development and lower cognitive ability. Unfortunately, no matter what age, our brains are ill-equipped for keeping it at bay.

“Lead is able to reach the bloodstream once it’s inhaled as dust, or ingested, or consumed in water,” Reuben said. “In the bloodstream, it's able to pass into the brain through the blood-brain barrier, which is quite good at keeping a lot of toxicants and pathogens out of the brain, but not all of them.”

To answer the complex question of how leaded gas use for more than 70 years may have left a permanent mark on human health, Reuben and his co-authors Michael McFarland and Mathew Hauer, both professors of sociology at Florida State University, opted for a fairly simple strategy."

Funny. Only reason I know is my parents used me in their divorce fighting, accused each other of horrible turd and the judge/courts made me get counseling, testing Etc based on their fighting. Would rather have not ever known that. And would be preferred eating paint chips.

Of course the trainer at Hobart used to laugh about guys getting bells rung in the late 90s…

The exhaust story is just another “hey we did the best we could” by prior generations shrug as they continue to take from the future (like our budget). See Neal Brennan: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AQS0wwEZdg0
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:04 pm

dullard
noun
dull·​ard ˈdə-lərd
Synonyms of dullard

Synonyms applicable

Stupid and silly people

Funny. Only reason I know is my parents used me in their divorce fighting, accused each other of horrible turd and the judge/courts made me get counseling, testing Etc based on their fighting. Would rather have not ever known that. And would be preferred eating paint chips.

Of course the trainer at Hobart used to laugh about guys getting bells rung in the late 90s…

The exhaust story is just another “hey we did the best we could” by prior generations shrug as they continue to take from the future (like our budget). See Neal Brennan: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AQS0wwEZdg0
"and especially those at the peak of its use in the 1960s and 1970s, had concerningly high lead exposures as children"

Well, I'm good and fcuked. Thanks Thomas...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

Course, he got his.

"Thomas Midgley Jr. (May 18, 1889 – November 2, 1944) was an American mechanical and chemical engineer. He played a major role in developing leaded gasoline (tetraethyl lead) and some of the first chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), better known in the United States by the brand name Freon; both products were later banned from common use due to their harmful impact on human health and the environment. He was granted more than 100 patents over the course of his career.[2]

Midgley contracted polio in 1940 and was left disabled; in 1944, he was found strangled to death by a device he devised to allow him to get out of bed unassisted. It was reported to the public that he had been accidentally killed by his own invention, but his death was privately declared a suicide.

His legacy is one of inventing the two chemicals that did the greatest environmental damage. Environmental historian J. R. McNeill stated that he "had more adverse impact on the atmosphere than any other single organism in Earth's history." Author Bill Bryson remarked that he possessed "an instinct for the regrettable that was almost uncanny." Science writer Fred Pearce described him as a "one-man environmental disaster"."

Maybe we could get Exxon or some other reprobate to erect a giant phallus in his honor. Or hlel, Ellie loves a good d-bag, maybe he'd spring for it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:27 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:04 pm

dullard
noun
dull·​ard ˈdə-lərd
Synonyms of dullard

Synonyms applicable

Stupid and silly people

"and especially those at the peak of its use in the 1960s and 1970s, had concerningly high lead exposures as children"

Well, I'm good and fcuked. Thanks Thomas...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

Course, he got his.

"Thomas Midgley Jr. (May 18, 1889 – November 2, 1944) was an American mechanical and chemical engineer. He played a major role in developing leaded gasoline (tetraethyl lead) and some of the first chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), better known in the United States by the brand name Freon; both products were later banned from common use due to their harmful impact on human health and the environment. He was granted more than 100 patents over the course of his career.[2]

Midgley contracted polio in 1940 and was left disabled; in 1944, he was found strangled to death by a device he devised to allow him to get out of bed unassisted. It was reported to the public that he had been accidentally killed by his own invention, but his death was privately declared a suicide.

His legacy is one of inventing the two chemicals that did the greatest environmental damage. Environmental historian J. R. McNeill stated that he "had more adverse impact on the atmosphere than any other single organism in Earth's history." Author Bill Bryson remarked that he possessed "an instinct for the regrettable that was almost uncanny." Science writer Fred Pearce described him as a "one-man environmental disaster"."

Maybe we could get Exxon or some other reprobate to erect a giant phallus in his honor. Or hlel, Ellie loves a good d-bag, maybe he'd spring for it.
Erect it in Staten Island…
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

old salt

Post by old salt »

Turning the other cheek is not an Old Testament thing. It will be a painful lesson for the Israelis, ...if they hope to survive.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Ronen Bergman and Adam Goldman at NYT blow the lid off the Israeli intelliignce failure

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/30/worl ... gence.html

"Israeli officials obtained Hamas’s battle plan for the Oct. 7 terrorist attack more than a year before it happened, documents, emails and interviews show. But Israeli military and intelligence officials dismissed the plan as aspirational, considering it too difficult for Hamas to carry out.

The approximately 40-page document, which the Israeli authorities code-named “Jericho Wall,” outlined, point by point, exactly the kind of devastating invasion that led to the deaths of about 1,200 people.

The translated document, which was reviewed by The New York Times, did not set a date for the attack, but described a methodical assault designed to overwhelm the fortifications around the Gaza Strip, take over Israeli cities and storm key military bases, including a division headquarters.

Hamas followed the blueprint with shocking precision. The document called for a barrage of rockets at the outset of the attack, drones to knock out the security cameras and automated machine guns along the border, and gunmen to pour into Israel en masse in paragliders, on motorcycles and on foot — all of which happened on Oct. 7.

The plan also included details about the location and size of Israeli military forces, communication hubs and other sensitive information, raising questions about how Hamas gathered its intelligence and whether there were leaks inside the Israeli security establishment.

The document circulated widely among Israeli military and intelligence leaders, but experts determined that an attack of that scale and ambition was beyond Hamas’s capabilities, according to documents and officials. It is unclear whether Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu or other top political leaders saw the document, as well.

Last year, shortly after the document was obtained, officials in the Israeli military’s Gaza division, which is responsible for defending the border with Gaza, said that Hamas’s intentions were unclear.

“It is not yet possible to determine whether the plan has been fully accepted and how it will be manifested,” read a military assessment reviewed by The Times.

Then, in July, just three months before the attacks, a veteran analyst with Unit 8200, Israel’s signals intelligence agency, warned that Hamas had conducted an intense, daylong training exercise that appeared similar to what was outlined in the blueprint.

But a colonel in the Gaza division brushed off her concerns, according to encrypted emails viewed by The Times.

“I utterly refute that the scenario is imaginary,” the analyst wrote in the email exchanges. The Hamas training exercise, she said, fully matched “the content of Jericho Wall.”

“It is a plan designed to start a war,” she added. “It’s not just a raid on a village.”

Officials privately concede that, had the military taken these warnings seriously and redirected significant reinforcements to the south, where Hamas attacked, Israel could have blunted the attacks or possibly even prevented them.

Instead, the Israeli military was unprepared as terrorists streamed out of the Gaza Strip. It was the deadliest day in Israel’s history.

Israeli security officials have already acknowledged that they failed to protect the country, and the government is expected to assemble a commission to study the events leading up to the attacks. The Jericho Wall document lays bare a yearslong cascade of missteps that culminated in what officials now regard as the worst Israeli intelligence failure since the surprise attack that led to the Arab-Israeli war of 1973.

Underpinning all these failures was a single, fatally inaccurate belief that Hamas lacked the capability to attack and would not dare to do so. That belief was so ingrained in the Israeli government, officials said, that they disregarded growing evidence to the contrary.

The Israeli military and the Israeli Security Agency, which is in charge of counterterrorism in Gaza, declined to comment.

Officials would not say how they obtained the Jericho Wall document, but it was among several versions of attack plans collected over the years. A 2016 Defense Ministry memorandum viewed by The Times, for example, says, “Hamas intends to move the next confrontation into Israeli territory.”

Such an attack would most likely involve hostage-taking and “occupying an Israeli community (and perhaps even a number of communities),” the memo reads.

The Jericho Wall document, named for the ancient fortifications in the modern-day West Bank, was even more explicit. It detailed rocket attacks to distract Israeli soldiers and send them hurrying into bunkers, and drones to disable the elaborate security measures along the border fence separating Israel and Gaza.

Hamas fighters would then break through 60 points in the wall, storming across the border into Israel. The document begins with a quote from the Quran: “Surprise them through the gate. If you do, you will certainly prevail.”

The same phrase has been widely used by Hamas in its videos and statements since Oct. 7.

One of the most important objectives outlined in the document was to overrun the Israeli military base in Re’im, which is home to the Gaza division responsible for protecting the region. Other bases that fell under the division’s command were also listed.

Hamas carried out that objective on Oct. 7, rampaging through Re’im and overrunning parts of the base.

The audacity of the blueprint, officials said, made it easy to underestimate. All militaries write plans that they never use, and Israeli officials assessed that, even if Hamas invaded, it might muster a force of a few dozen, not the hundreds who ultimately attacked.

Israel had also misread Hamas’s actions. The group had negotiated for permits to allow Palestinians to work in Israel, which Israeli officials took as a sign that Hamas was not looking for a war.

But Hamas had been drafting attack plans for many years, and Israeli officials had gotten hold of previous iterations of them. What could have been an intelligence coup turned into one of the worst miscalculations in Israel’s 75-year history.

In September 2016, the defense minister’s office compiled a top-secret memorandum based on a much earlier iteration of a Hamas attack plan. The memorandum, which was signed by the defense minister at the time, Avigdor Lieberman, said that an invasion and hostage-taking would “lead to severe damage to the consciousness and morale of the citizens of Israel.”

The memo, which was viewed by The Times, said that Hamas had purchased sophisticated weapons, GPS jammers and drones. It also said that Hamas had increased its fighting force to 27,000 people — having added 6,000 to its ranks in a two-year period. Hamas had hoped to reach 40,000 by 2020, the memo determined.

Last year, after Israel obtained the Jericho Wall document, the military’s Gaza division drafted its own intelligence assessment of this latest invasion plan.

Hamas had “decided to plan a new raid, unprecedented in its scope,” analysts wrote in the assessment reviewed by The Times. It said that Hamas intended to carry out a deception operation followed by a “large-scale maneuver” with the aim of overwhelming the division.

But the Gaza division referred to the plan as a “compass.” In other words, the division determined that Hamas knew where it wanted to go but had not arrived there yet.

On July 6, 2023, the veteran Unit 8200 analyst wrote to a group of other intelligence experts that dozens of Hamas commandos had recently conducted training exercises, with senior Hamas commanders observing.

The training included a dry run of shooting down Israeli aircraft and taking over a kibbutz and a military training base, killing all the cadets. During the exercise, Hamas fighters used the same phrase from the Quran that appeared at the top of the Jericho Wall attack plan, she wrote in the email exchanges viewed by The Times.

The analyst warned that the drill closely followed the Jericho Wall plan, and that Hamas was building the capacity to carry it out.

The colonel in the Gaza division applauded the analysis but said the exercise was part of a “totally imaginative” scenario, not an indication of Hamas’s ability to pull it off.

“In short, let’s wait patiently,” the colonel wrote.

The back-and-forth continued, with some colleagues supporting the analyst’s original conclusion. Soon, she invoked the lessons of the 1973 war, in which Syrian and Egyptian armies overran Israeli defenses. Israeli forces regrouped and repelled the invasion, but the intelligence failure has long served as a lesson for Israeli security officials.

“We already underwent a similar experience 50 years ago on the southern front in connection with a scenario that seemed imaginary, and history may repeat itself if we are not careful,” the analyst wrote to her colleagues.

While ominous, none of the emails predicted that war was imminent. Nor did the analyst challenge the conventional wisdom among Israeli intelligence officials that Yahya Sinwar, the leader of Hamas, was not interested in war with Israel. But she correctly assessed that Hamas’s capabilities had drastically improved. The gap between the possible and the aspirational had narrowed significantly.

The failures to connect the dots echoed another analytical failure more than two decades ago, when the American authorities also had multiple indications that the terrorist group Al Qaeda was preparing an assault. The Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were largely a failure of analysis and imagination, a government commission concluded.

“The Israeli intelligence failure on Oct. 7 is sounding more and more like our 9/11,” said Ted Singer, a recently retired senior C.I.A. official who worked extensively in the Middle East. “The failure will be a gap in analysis to paint a convincing picture to military and political leadership that Hamas had the intention to launch the attack when it did.”"
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Israel over the last 60 years or so has one of the best intel operations in the world. Over the last 20 years or so they have muted human intel in favor of hi tech intel. Costly, i was stunned, given their history, that such an attack could be successfully executed. Bengie has grossly over reacted giving Hamas what it wanted.
Last edited by OCanada on Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This and the Russia-Ukraine situation are about to get exponentially more complicated given the recent news that India is sending assassins into our country to murder folks…

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-cha ... 023-11-29/
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Kismet wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:13 am Ronen Bergman and Adam Goldman at NYT blow the lid off the Israeli intelliignce failure

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/30/worl ... gence.html

"Israeli officials obtained Hamas’s battle plan for the Oct. 7 terrorist attack more than a year before it happened, documents, emails and interviews show. But Israeli military and intelligence officials dismissed the plan as aspirational, considering it too difficult for Hamas to carry out.

The approximately 40-page document, which the Israeli authorities code-named “Jericho Wall,” outlined, point by point, exactly the kind of devastating invasion that led to the deaths of about 1,200 people.

The translated document, which was reviewed by The New York Times, did not set a date for the attack, but described a methodical assault designed to overwhelm the fortifications around the Gaza Strip, take over Israeli cities and storm key military bases, including a division headquarters ...

Interesting revelation, if true. But intelligence failure would not be entirely unprecedented as shown in the following report newly re-released:

MEMBERS OF ISRAEL’S RULING LIKUD PARTY ONCE PLANNED TO ASSASSINATE HENRY KISSINGER
A radical faction within the Likud party plotted to kill Kissinger in 1977, according to a news report from the time.

https://theintercept.com/2023/11/30/hen ... Newsletter

FORMER SECRETARY OF STATE Henry Kissinger died on Wednesday at the age of 100 — though if the predecessors of Israel’s ruling Likud party had their way, he may not have made it even halfway to the century mark.

Despite his reputation as a geopolitical kingmaker, Kissinger was never able to fully impose total U.S. authority upon Israel, but he did seek to leverage U.S. influence — sometimes against what the right-wing Likud party viewed as its interests.

In the 1970s, Kissinger was so hated by the Likud party, which now controls Israel’s far-right coalition government, that some of its members tried to have him assassinated, according to a news report from the time.

“A die-hard clique of Israeli right-wingers has put out a $150,000 ‘contract’ for the assassination of Secretary of State Kissinger,” the New York Daily News* reported in 1977, citing senior State Department officials. When reports of a possible hit on Kissinger first came out, it was believed to be the work of Palestinian militants, but senior officials told the paper that they were certain that the threat was emanating from the Likud party.

The Likud hard-liners who put up the money — described as “a small, radical splinter faction within Israel’s Likud opposition bloc” — were reportedly upset at Kissinger’s diplomacy around the end of the 1973 Arab–Israeli War. Kissinger had been instrumental in disengagement agreements with Egypt and Syria that saw Israel withdrawing from territories it had conquered. On the Israeli side, Likud’s rival Labor Party had worked with Kissinger to agree to the compromises.

The 1973 war had also led to a damaging oil embargo by Arab states against the U.S., and Kissinger was said to be willing to cut any deal necessary to turn the spigot back on — which the 1974 disengagement deals accomplished.

Of the hit, the Daily News reported, “The motive was said to be revenge against Kissinger for allegedly selling out Israel during his Mideast shuttle diplomacy.”

The Likud strongly denied the allegation at the time, as did the State Department. (The reported plot to assassinate Kissinger is just one of several instances in which Israelis displayed intense hostility toward their strongest ally, including a 1967 attack on an American spy ship and an espionage operation in the 1980s.)

While Kissinger succeeded in his short-term goal of ending the oil embargo and returning the Sinai Peninsula to Egypt, his efforts at statesmanship intentionally obstructed efforts to find a long-term solution to the permanent occupation of Palestine.

As my colleague Jon Schwarz wrote today, Kissinger went against Richard Nixon’s own directive to find a way for lasting peace when everything and anything was on the table. Kissinger believed that a constant state of conflict and instability granted America an upper hand in the Middle East. “My assessment is a costly victory [for Israel] without a disaster is the best,” Kissinger told his subordinates at the onset of the Yom Kippur War.

Despite his Jewish heritage, Kissinger showed little regard for the Israeli state or Jewish people beyond their utility to the American empire. Helping Soviet Jews escape to the United States to avoid the Russian crackdown was “not an objective of American foreign policy,” Kissinger told Nixon in 1973, “and if they put Jews into gas chambers in the Soviet Union, it is not an American concern. Maybe a humanitarian concern.”

Whatever animosity once existed between the Likud party and the former secretary of state was long past them. Today, the party is led by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who was first elected to the post in 1996. (That election was prompted by the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin, who many believe was the last great hope for enduring peace in Israel.)

Netanyahu has taken a page out of the Kissinger playbook, using unending conflict to cling to power and inviting ever more extremist politicians into the Likud coalition. In September, just weeks before Israel launched its all-out war on Gaza, the pair had an affectionate meeting in New York.

Israel’s bombing campaign on the Gaza Strip in recent weeks rivals the concentrated bombing of Vietnam and Cambodia that Kissinger oversaw decades ago.

History shows that the Likud was once viewed as "terrorist, chauvinist, and fascist" by Einstein, Hannah Arendt, and Sidney Hook among others. Today it is the ruling party and, despite its faults, is strenuously defended by a diminishing but adamant crowd here in the USA.

*source: https://www.nydailynews.com/2017/01/13/ ... t-in-1977/
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

https://www.vox.com/politics/2023/12/2/ ... r-violence

Do not overlook the westbank.

Bengie still has legal jeopardy.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:36 am This and the Russia-Ukraine situation are about to get exponentially more complicated given the recent news that India is sending assassins into our country to murder folks…

One country successfully assassinated an American reporter not long ago with impunity
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:36 am This and the Russia-Ukraine situation are about to get exponentially more complicated given the recent news that India is sending assassins into our country to murder folks…

UK just made a strike in Siberia
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:49 am

One country successfully assassinated an American reporter not long ago with impunity
True, so when India cuts good deals for rare earth minerals and doesn’t play us for a fool in their petty fights with Pakistan (both sides aholes) over Kashmir then we can let it slide.

But everyone gets the joke and dirty secret of SA. I don’t think the general person on in the street views India and our relationship with it in the same way.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:49 am

UK just made a strike in Siberia
I’m not one of these Russian apologists and democracy rejecting cats so “good” I guess.

I just am waiting for the time we are forced to do more and not straddle fences. It’s coming but all these other issues geopolitically will influence the “go/no go” choices made ultimately is all. We can have every shake ally taking advantage of our compromised position which we put ourselves in to forward their own agenda here or itll distort and probably pollute our decision tree is all
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.axios.com/2023/12/04/jared- ... ders-qatar

Jared and Ivanka meeting with Qatari PM last week in NYC - what could possibly go wrong with these two amateurs inserting themselves into foreign affairs?
Last edited by Kismet on Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:28 am https://www.axios.com/2023/12/04/jared- ... ders-qatar

Jared and Ivanka meeting with Qatari PM last week in NYC - what could possibly go wrong wit these two amateurs inserting themselves into foreign affairs?
So they somehow have the power to circumvent Bidens State Department apparatus? They are private citizens doing the same high brow elbow rubbing that John Kerry has done.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:35 am
Kismet wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:28 am https://www.axios.com/2023/12/04/jared- ... ders-qatar

Jared and Ivanka meeting with Qatari PM last week in NYC - what could possibly go wrong wit these two amateurs inserting themselves into foreign affairs?
So they somehow have the power to circumvent Bidens State Department apparatus? They are private citizens doing the same high brow elbow rubbing that John Kerry has done.
and you ripped Kerry for it at the time - so how is this any different for you?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Jared and Ivanka meeting with Qatari PM last week in NYC - what could possibly go wrong with these two amateurs inserting themselves into foreign affairs?
Jared grabbing his wife’s elbow and going “take him to the Lincoln room and show him the “Monica”…”
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “POLITICS”