Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by jhu06 »

great football season.

Clean the football lines off the lacrosse field and onto lacrosse 2024.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Sucks for the football Jays. Tough loss. Great season though. This is a fantastic athletic department. Just unbelievably good. I’m not a fan of of the USNews race to the top, but this is a very well run program.

Very optimistic about the spring. Don’t really believe we win a Natty this year, but thinking it’s not far from even money that we’re playing on Memorial Day weekend.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Not to be a pessimist, but Duke, UVA, and ND all look good for the FF. And SU reloaded, and UMD is unlikely to repeat their injury bug. I also expect a dark horse from the Ivy League. Not that the Jays cannot, but I think it will take some lucky breaks.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

You never know - how many people had Notre Dame winning it all after an 8-4 season and not making the tournament (I know there was a very strong argument they should have made it)? And not just the 14-2 record - with the exception of the UVA games - the early season game against Maryland and the games against Hopkins & Duke in the tournament - they weren't beating people they were destroying them. Notre Dame lost Simmons/McCahon and Tevlin - that's 43 goals and 24 assists (alot more than Ian Krampf's 6) and no Fake either. So pieces to incorporate and replace. UVA obviously lost some big pieces - but they just reload. Coincidentally - Duke also lost 43 goals and 24 assists with their Garrett and the older Caputo departing. Penn State may have more 6 year players than anybody but they lost one of their Traynors. So every team has issues.

I know a broken record or a dead horse possibility exists but health and the schedule are the two biggest obstacles. Hopkins has some important players that have had trouble staying consitently healthy - Grimes/McDermott/Deans/Peshko have all either missed considerable time in multiple campaigns or their performance has been affected. Health was even a concern for Melendez given his history at Marquette. A smoother 24 would go a long way.

Schedule: Just no breaks - When the teams with relatively poor prior season records are Towson/Navy and Ohio State - you know you are in a campaign. I break it down to 3 segments:
- Homewood - From Denver to Maryland and all in between - need to treat those 7 games at home like precious gems
- ACC - 2 games on the road - one at a neutral site - not sure about the Charlotte game - but the other two are on grass
- BIG Road - Those are teams against which you arguably have more talent - really really need those late in the season
Georgetown away sits on it own little island - they lost alot - still have alot - toss up in DC
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:21 am Not to be a pessimist, but Duke, UVA, and ND all look good for the FF. And SU reloaded, and UMD is unlikely to repeat their injury bug. I also expect a dark horse from the Ivy League. Not that the Jays cannot, but I think it will take some lucky breaks.
I have this sense that it’s possible UMD could get a little disease of me. Some
School who’s hoarding talent and on top of the world will see a decline and I don’t think it’s UVA, coaches can get stale with kids awful fast. I’m sure they’ll still be very good with all that talent but all the “were a team” chest thumping and Tillman coaches like god created the universe stuff could become irony and they slip half
(To like average Cottle years of 1st/2nd rd and out mostly)z.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This is the season that a lot of narratives converge for the Blue Jays:

- Senior year for the vaunted class of 2020 — Petro's last — they've been through a lot
- By far the most talented freshmen class — on paper — since that 2020 group
- The most experienced, most playoff-tested goalie they've had in years
- Coaching continuity, second year of Crawley

Then I look at a guy like Garrett Degnon — recruited by a different staff, comes in completely unheralded, barely plays as a freshman, completely transforms his game to become one of the best players on the team and one of the better shooters in the country, named a two-time captain, miraculously given a 6th year of eligibility to return for one last rodeo...what a story that'd be if he can help bring the Jays back to the promised land. His career is microcosm of the fall and subsequent rise of the program.

I do wish I could feel a bit more confident in the faceoff unit, but it is what it is. Health is obviously the big unknown, but that goes for everyone. And no matter who you are, you need the ball to bounce your way once or twice to make a Final Four. From a talent, experience, coaching perspective, they are set up better than most to make a deep run. I think years of heartbreak and mediocrity have trained some of us to hedge our bets — which is probably the smart thing to do for mental health — but it's hard to ignore the possibility that maybe it's just their year. Sports are a strange alchemy of talent, coaching, luck, and some fourth category that is much harder to define but is probably something along the lines of "vibes." The Jays have good vibes.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:50 pm
flalax22 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:55 am So it’s possible he had a great freshman fall, I heard about it from a number of sources and was looking for confirmation?

What an incredibly novel and unprecedented post here in the forum.
Well - we can debate "decade" vs " a long time" all you want but you basically denied you said anything. BTW - you are missing the point. That being I had absolutely no issue with the original post about Phillips. In fact, if you go back to that thread you'll see I responded very congenially stating I hoped the reports were correct. The issue is your take on the Hopkins thread as if you were some impartial observer or didn't contribute to whatever craziness exists.
No that is simply your angry interpretation. I’m aware of what this forum is and my participation in it. I never denied contributing to the nonsense. It’s all part of the fun of following this team.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

"Because this is the Hopkins forum. It’s like Cuckoos Nest around here."

"Absolutely not attributed to me..."

Can I recommend some Prevagen perhaps?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:40 pm "Because this is the Hopkins forum. It’s like Cuckoos Nest around here."

"Absolutely not attributed to me..."

Can I recommend some Prevagen perhaps?
Piecing together different quotes? You really are off your meds. You jumped to conclusions on both counts. Take the L
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:59 am You never know - how many people had Notre Dame winning it all after an 8-4 season and not making the tournament (I know there was a very strong argument they should have made it)? And not just the 14-2 record - with the exception of the UVA games - the early season game against Maryland and the games against Hopkins & Duke in the tournament - they weren't beating people they were destroying them. Notre Dame lost Simmons/McCahon and Tevlin - that's 43 goals and 24 assists (alot more than Ian Krampf's 6) and no Fake either. So pieces to incorporate and replace. UVA obviously lost some big pieces - but they just reload. Coincidentally - Duke also lost 43 goals and 24 assists with their Garrett and the older Caputo departing. Penn State may have more 6 year players than anybody but they lost one of their Traynors. So every team has issues.

I know a broken record or a dead horse possibility exists but health and the schedule are the two biggest obstacles. Hopkins has some important players that have had trouble staying consitently healthy - Grimes/McDermott/Deans/Peshko have all either missed considerable time in multiple campaigns or their performance has been affected. Health was even a concern for Melendez given his history at Marquette. A smoother 24 would go a long way.

Schedule: Just no breaks - When the teams with relatively poor prior season records are Towson/Navy and Ohio State - you know you are in a campaign. I break it down to 3 segments:
- Homewood - From Denver to Maryland and all in between - need to treat those 7 games at home like precious gems
- ACC - 2 games on the road - one at a neutral site - not sure about the Charlotte game - but the other two are on grass
- BIG Road - Those are teams against which you arguably have more talent - really really need those late in the season
Georgetown away sits on it own little island - they lost alot - still have alot - toss up in DC
I've forgotten whose idea was the charlotte game?

Flosports was sued I think over stunts like the one that was documented here the last time the Jays played in NW DC. Not sure if the hoyas still use them.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

No I can't help it if you can't admit to or remember anything or understand anything. The two quotes were not intended to be connected at all. One showed you made your comment about the Hopkins thread the other was your denial about saying anything about Phillips. Wear it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Some Ivy seniors entered the portal for the 2025 season who the staff may be interested in, particularly one Michael Gianforcaro (Princeton AA goalie). He will have lots of suitors, but then again, so did Ierlan. His uncle is Dan Flynn, a Hopkins football grad and IL contributor (does the podcast with Mark Dixon). At some point you've got to develop your younger goalies but to go from Ierlan straight to Gianforcaro would be something. Also some solid FOGOs available in Dartmouth's Myers, Princeton's Sandoval, and Yale's Ramsey.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Gianfocaro would be worth the risk. As you said the goalie rental program has to stop sometime but he would be worth it.

QK and laxallstars published a top IL snub list and Angelus was on it.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:10 pm No I can't help it if you can't admit to or remember anything or understand anything. The two quotes were not intended to be connected at all. One showed you made your comment about the Hopkins thread the other was your denial about saying anything about Phillips. Wear it.
Ya I said this place is like cuckoos nest and didn’t once say I was above it.

Ya I said I heard from multiple people Phillips had a great freshman fall and was looking for more information.

Where is the foul? Unless you’re just looking for one.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

You've said alot more than that over the past 3 or 4 years and the fact remains you denied saying anything about the player until presented with the evidence..
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Fellas I think it's time to move on.

Team posted a video on Instagram of Bowler deadlifting 610 pounds. Crazy number for someone with his build.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0fbJn3M20N/

60 days till Denver.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:21 pm Fellas I think it's time to move on.

Team posted a video on Instagram of Bowler deadlifting 610 pounds. Crazy number for someone with his build.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0fbJn3M20N/

60 days till Denver.
Absolutely impressive lift. I looked at his quads and said no way and he got it and then some. Good for him. Good energy in the gym.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”