Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:17 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:11 am Oh what tangled webs we weave…

But open carry in a bar’s good, right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/29/us/g ... hecks.html

“For Vera Cooper, the time had come to buy a gun.

In her mid-70s at the time and widowed several years earlier, she was already feeling vulnerable, living by herself. Then came the tipping point: The plumbing business that Ms. Cooper owns in the Florida Panhandle had to fire a worker, and he stormed out of the office, threatening vengeance.

At a nearby gun store, she settled on a .22 caliber pistol that “felt good in my hand.” Then came the problem. A question on the firearms transaction form she was required to complete asked whether she was an “unlawful user” of marijuana or any other drug categorized by the federal government as a controlled substance.”

And if I haven’t mentioned it recently, fcuk you, Antonin, you worthless POS. May you burn in your Paleolithic hlel, you ignorant, compromised cretin.

The irony is the state is the epicenter of the pill mill Industry and fairly open at that.

Worth the watch if you have time

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt19781504/

Had some indirect exposure to Perdue as I advised a fund run by this guy who’s family wealth came from selling their pharma firm to Perdue. He’s dead now, alcohol poisoning 2or so years ago. Former army ranger and grew up as well as you could. (Johnny Guerry)

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/in- ... ne-7125199

Not to mention pRick Scott, Mr. Medicare…

Floriduh, huh?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:32 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:17 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:11 am Oh what tangled webs we weave…

But open carry in a bar’s good, right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/29/us/g ... hecks.html

“For Vera Cooper, the time had come to buy a gun.

In her mid-70s at the time and widowed several years earlier, she was already feeling vulnerable, living by herself. Then came the tipping point: The plumbing business that Ms. Cooper owns in the Florida Panhandle had to fire a worker, and he stormed out of the office, threatening vengeance.

At a nearby gun store, she settled on a .22 caliber pistol that “felt good in my hand.” Then came the problem. A question on the firearms transaction form she was required to complete asked whether she was an “unlawful user” of marijuana or any other drug categorized by the federal government as a controlled substance.”

And if I haven’t mentioned it recently, fcuk you, Antonin, you worthless POS. May you burn in your Paleolithic hlel, you ignorant, compromised cretin.

The irony is the state is the epicenter of the pill mill Industry and fairly open at that.

Worth the watch if you have time

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt19781504/

Had some indirect exposure to Perdue as I advised a fund run by this guy who’s family wealth came from selling their pharma firm to Perdue. He’s dead now, alcohol poisoning 2or so years ago. Former army ranger and grew up as well as you could. (Johnny Guerry)

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/in- ... ne-7125199

Not to mention pRick Scott, Mr. Medicare…

Floriduh, huh?

Don’t forget to play the florida man google game-type in your birthday month and day and florida man and enjoy the results!

Don’t think quotation marks are necessary but I do concatenation the date and florida man terms
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:20 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:05 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:01 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:49 am Imagine thinking the country with the highest incarceration rate in the world is "soft on criminals" :lol:
Try disaggregating the stats and tell us what you discover
That we have about the highest gun violence rates along with the highest incarceration rates in the world? That we have insane amounts of guns stolen? That we have abysmal mental health treatment. That we spend the most on education per capita with middling results? That we don't actually try to rehabilitate criminals?

What stats are you trying to say we suck at? Because we suck at a lot. And we're still better than a lot.
You can't rehabilitate people that in reality don't want to be rehabilitated. If you have been a career lifelong criminal the concept of getting up at 6am and dragging your ass into work just is not some peoples cup of tea. The same principle holds true when trying to rehabilitate most drug addicts. When you pass the threshold of having been to 10 or more rehab facilities your chances of ever " getting it" grow dimmer and dimmer. I witnessed that personally in my own life.
How about you address the "disaggregating the stats" thing you posted? Your solutions aren't working, and haven't for the past 50+ years. Focus my man.

And how many criminals do we harden inside the joint these days? How many could have been rehabilitated the first time they offended? Instead we just create a revolving door with our criminal justice and prison system.

Some people deserve a second chance. And they need a bit of help. A small portion certainly don't.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:03 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:49 am Imagine thinking the country with the highest incarceration rate in the world is "soft on criminals" :lol:
That we have about the highest gun violence rates along with the highest incarceration rates in the world? That we have insane amounts of guns stolen? That we have abysmal mental health treatment. That we spend the most on education per capita with middling results? That we don't actually try to rehabilitate criminals?

What stats are you trying to say we suck at? Because we suck at a lot. And we're still better than a lot.
You can't rehabilitate people that in reality don't want to be rehabilitated. If you have been a career lifelong criminal the concept of getting up at 6am and dragging your ass into work just is not some peoples cup of tea. The same principle holds true when trying to rehabilitate most drug addicts. When you pass the threshold of having been to 10 or more rehab facilities your chances of ever " getting it" grow dimmer and dimmer. I witnessed that personally in my own life.
How about you address the "disaggregating the stats" thing you posted? Your solutions aren't working, and haven't for the past 50+ years. Focus my man.

And how many criminals do we harden inside the joint these days? How many could have been rehabilitated the first time they offended? Instead we just create a revolving door with our criminal justice and prison system.

Some people deserve a second chance. And they need a bit of help. A small portion certainly don't.
So how do you differentiate between those who deserve a second chance and those that don't?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DYS teaching kids to be more ruthless

This chaos uncovered by an eight-month investigation by the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Columbus Dispatch, Akron Beacon Journal, Canton Repository and other USA TODAY Network Ohio newsrooms goes far beyond simple fistfights.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/opinion/ ... 440064007/
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:20 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:03 am

So how do you differentiate between those who deserve a second chance and those that don't?
Irrelevant when it’s clear there’s a massive chunk that should be afforded that. Take the low hanging fruit first but that ain’t happening.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:29 am DYS teaching kids to be more ruthless

This chaos uncovered by an eight-month investigation by the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Columbus Dispatch, Akron Beacon Journal, Canton Repository and other USA TODAY Network Ohio newsrooms goes far beyond simple fistfights.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/opinion/ ... 440064007/
Pretty much can be reduced to: there’s a meaningful cohort of people, many religious many not, who need to feel in control because the anxiety of the alternative. They don’t feel in control and so create this idea in their heads that nature is what matters and nurture is irrelevant, environment doesn’t matter at all. It’s a delusion and a crutch but that’s what a lot of these issues are fighting against.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

$236K per year to institutionalize kids?
:cry:
Put more of that money towards adult training to help them OR getting kids in therapy, performing charity outreach, sports, education and vocation training, and having a safe place to live with regular meals.
So much of helping rehabilitate is providing basic human needs and letting the people know they are part of a good, caring community. Not a hardened one.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:43 pm $236K per year to institutionalize kids?
Put more of that money towards adult training to help them OR getting kids in therapy, performing charity outreach, sports, education and vocation training, and having a safe place to live with regular meals.
So much of helping rehabilitate is providing basic human needs and letting the people know they are part of a good, caring community. Not a hardened one.
That’s how it used to be until Ronnie took office in the 1980s. Cut a lot of federal funding to cities and municipalities and then those cities and municipalities had to cut services. Bye bye parks and recreation amongst other things. Then made it ok to break unions…pay people’s less…. and then old Bill came along to out do that by making it cool to move jobs out of the country…. Didn’t happen overnight and it ain’t going to be fixed overnight. Cradleandshoot’s strategy of just put more in jail for longer terms has no societal return. When I mentioned investing in kids early, I believe you and cradle said “that’s the parents job”….I guess you would rather the government spend money on the back end instead of having more employment and more folks on the tax roll. Maybe your burden would be reduced? Healthcare, crime, insurance etc would all be favorably impacted with a little upfront investment….Early childhood education programs and stuff….but nope. You like spending $236k to lock up juveniles?
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:43 pm $236K per year to institutionalize kids?
Dude yes! And in fact was reading a piece recently about Reno addressing their homeless issue and a comment had me thinking more about something theoretically obvious or intuitive but not top of mind day to day which is the best thing a person can do for society is to recognize when someone feels all alone in this world and help them feel like someone, anyone, is on their side. Everything after that is gravy.

I don’t do +s because then it’s keeping score but I will say Word Up! To what you wrote.

Btw a younger in law wedding is on something called Kent island-you familiar? She was a JC graduate from 6-8yrs ago, lived in Bel Aire, went to UMD and in the hot sorority which is why I couldn’t go to college park when my wife wanted to visit and we were in DC a few years back-sometimes it’s best to “walk away”. They live in Abingdon which is another town I’m unfamiliar with despite living in DC for 4+ years and making the trek in the corridor to Balt many times.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:05 pm
Dude yes! And in fact was reading a piece recently about Reno addressing their homeless issue and a comment had me thinking more about something theoretically obvious or intuitive but not top of mind day to day which is the best thing a person can do for society is to recognize when someone feels all alone in this world and help them feel like someone, anyone, is on their side. Everything after that is gravy.

I don’t do +s because then it’s keeping score but I will say Word Up! To what you wrote.

Btw a younger in law wedding is on something called Kent island-you familiar? She was a JC graduate from 6-8yrs ago, lived in Bel Aire, went to UMD and in the hot sorority which is why I couldn’t go to college park when my wife wanted to visit and we were in DC a few years back-sometimes it’s best to “walk away”. They live in Abingdon which is another town I’m unfamiliar with despite living in DC for 4+ years and making the trek in the corridor to Balt many times.
When it comes to care for society, I believe that feeding the poor, comforting the distraught etc., giving people real shelter etc. is what it's all about. That's life at it's very basic. Do those things and build up from there. You'll be shocked at how society improves if you care for those who need it the most.

Yes, pretty familiar with both.

Abingdon is just N of Baltimore off of I95. Nice area. Typical any-town suburb. Lots of chains and box stores. Area grew a lot in the past decade with Aberdeen Proving Ground base expansion. Nothing amazingly great OR offensive about it. Incredibly predictable. Which is good when you're living the daily family life or want to settle down. Conveniently located between Baltimore and Philly.

Kent Island is nice too. It's the island in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay as you go over the Bay Bridge. Some old locals left. But not as many sho'men as before. Now it's where those who want some old-timey Chesapeake/Eastern Shore "feels," but still have real lives and want bridge access to DC/Baltimore. I have a cousin who has a place there. Nice 360* water views, multiple fishing boats, a couple guest homes on the property... He made his money in Silicon Valley. I passed on that, so I won't be buying a home there until next year.

:lol:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:53 pm
That’s how it used to be until Ronnie took office in the 1980s. Cut a lot of federal funding to cities and municipalities and then those cities and municipalities had to cut services. Bye bye parks and recreation amongst other things. Then made it ok to break unions…pay people’s less…. and then old Bill came along to out do that by making it cool to move jobs out of the country…. Didn’t happen overnight and it ain’t going to be fixed overnight. Cradleandshoot’s strategy of just put more in jail for longer terms has no societal return. When I mentioned investing in kids early, I believe you and cradle said “that’s the parents job”….I guess you would rather the government spend money on the back end instead of having more employment and more folks on the tax roll. Maybe your burden would be reduced? Healthcare, crime, insurance etc would all be favorably impacted with a little upfront investment….Early childhood education programs and stuff….but nope. You like spending $236k to lock up juveniles?
We are reaping that which we sowed.

Quelle surprise…
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:27 pm

Quelle surprise…
I never once said at anytime to put more people in jail for longer times. Where did you dream that up? If your convicted of a violent crime you probably have earned your time in prison. What your saying that I said is a lie on your part. You can disagree with my perspective all day long. When you start lying and making false statements about what I never said well you've crossed a line. I'm sure you have me confused with another poster.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:09 pm

Quelle surprise…
I never once said at anytime to put more people in jail for longer times. Where did you dream that up? If your convicted of a violent crime you probably have earned your time in prison. What your saying that I said is a lie on your part. You can disagree with my perspective all day long. When you start lying and making false statements about what I never said well you've crossed a line. I'm sure you have me confused with another poster.
You think all these people that go to jail and are released are breaking out?
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:43 pm

Quelle surprise…
You think all these people that go to jail and are released breaking out?
????????? If your actually convicted of a crime that often times means you may or may not get prison time. I've never advocated one way or the other. What you said was I was encouraging more jail time for those people that have been convicted. I never said any such thing.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:06 pm

Quelle surprise…
????????? If your actually convicted of a crime that often times means you may or may not get prison time. I've never advocated one way or the other. What you said was I was encouraging more jail time for those people that have been convicted. I never said any such thing.
I am going to ignore this statement.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:06 pm

Quelle surprise…
I am going to ignore this statement.

“Here in my neck of the woods we just had a 3 time parolee arrested for armed bank robbery only shortly after being released from prison. Define for me what you mean by "over incarceration"”

Cradleandshoot means don’t hold them in prison any longer.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I thought life in prison was suppose to mean life in prison?Especially when you kill a police officer. King Andy has created the breeding ground for this type of stupidity to happen.”

This means eliminate parole so that we can reduce the prison population and shorten the duration for incarceration. Eliminating parole would not result in more time in prison.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:45 pm

When it comes to care for society, I believe that feeding the poor, comforting the distraught etc., giving people real shelter etc. is what it's all about. That's life at it's very basic. Do those things and build up from there. You'll be shocked at how society improves if you care for those who need it the most.

Abingdon is just N of Baltimore off of I95. Nice area. Typical any-town suburb. Lots of chains and box stores. Area grew a lot in the past decade with Aberdeen Proving Ground base expansion. Nothing amazingly great OR offensive about it. Incredibly predictable. Which is good when you're living the daily family life or want to settle down. Conveniently located between Baltimore and Philly.

Kent Island is nice too. It's the island in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay as you go over the Bay Bridge. Some old locals left. But not as many sho'men as before. Now it's where those who want some old-timey Chesapeake/Eastern Shore "feels," but still have real lives and want bridge access to DC/Baltimore. I have a cousin who has a place there. Nice 360* water views, multiple fishing boats, a couple guest homes on the property... He made his money in Silicon Valley. I passed on that, so I won't be buying a home there until next year.

We definitely miss the point on the need of people (referring back to Maszlowes hierarchy)

Thanks on locations. She’s a very basic person. About what you’d expect from a middle class JC grad in Bel Aire who goes to UMD. Her dad has been making the commute to Bowie/Annapolis area for work for like more than a decade-working for an air traffic signal Business spun out of the airlines into PE and now part of Rockwell Collins. I don’t know how the hell he’s made that treck for 10+Yrs. then again I was catching up with a bank exec friend while he was commenting from his gig at a Credit Union HQd in Greenbelt and lives west of Manassas…we talked for 45 min and he was maybe halfway back…
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:45 pm

To your comment on the Kent Island area yea people overrate the notion of “sleepy”-I once heard some rich idiots referring to “this town is so charming and sleepy”-it was Carmel, Ca where affluent Dbags go to shop, running up and down the streets overpriced stores not even focusing on the scenery and everyone’s head is on a swivel because they’re all trying to climb more.

Read this short story by Vonnegut sometime called Where I Live. It’s probably available separately and also in a collection of his short stories called Welcome to the Monkey House:

http://literaturefrenzy.blogspot.com/20 ... y.html?m=1
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “POLITICS”