Orange Duce

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Orange Duce

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:51 pm LL took a strange turn and became a nun, she's living in a convent now.
Actually, she's been a good friend since HS. Very funny gal, and would do anything for a friend in need.

But she did turn rather sharply MAGA extremist, was in the front row of CPAC for Trump's speech after Jan 6.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Remember you two went way back. LL was always a pretty hard core gal (on LP), not so surprised to hear she's a Trumpster.
Too bad she's not still on here, she could share her personal experience(s) with the Trumpster with us. That would make for some pleasant, light hearted discussion fer sure.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:34 pm Remember you two went way back. LL was always a pretty hard core gal (on LP), not so surprised to hear she's a Trumpster.
Too bad she's not still on here, she could share her personal experience(s) with the Trumpster with us. That would make for some pleasant, light hearted discussion fer sure.
I agree, but every once in a blue moon I take a look at her FB posts and am amply horrified by the degree of vitriol and flat out conspiracy ratholes that she posts approval of. So, I stay away. I don't need that vitriol aimed my way, too painful.

On the other hand, she's been a very loyal friend to one of our friends in common, during dark and challenging days, whether the death of a son or more recently a fight with cancer. I'm confident that I could count on her if I or one of my family members was going through a tough time...and she could count on me.

I miss her.

and as a poster on LP, she was particularly knowledgeable about the world of referees, especially the women's game.

It's the conundrum for me about what Trump and MAGA has done.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Parodying the Seething Railers

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:46 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:51 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:19 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:18 am I’ve read some/heard some comments over the last few years about former President Trump. They read/sounded exactly like what Breuer parodies here. The waking up in the middle of the night cursing Trump segment? Perfect! I've muted folks on Twitter because they would go on and on, day and night, in like manner--OBSESSED--about Trump and how evil he is, listing all the evil things he's done with a devoted proselytizing fervor.

(And how predictable that the Self-Appointed One would look down his nose at this oh-so-accurate comedy routine and wag his finger at those who find it amusing.)

"Do better." ?? Seriously--who does this guy think he is?

Thank goodness for freedom of speech in the good ol' U S of A.

Thanks again for introducing this, YA. It's a keeper.

I think Jim Breuer must be a user on this forum and knows who MDLaxfan is...he was speaking directly to him. ;) :lol:
I'm more focused on the people who gave trump power and enbabled him. A much much much larger and vast cohort than many lib hating folks here ever admit to be the case despite the reality of it. There's far too much of it here by protestors that they haven't enable this jerk - its a lie.
A very big lie. Fox News in court testified they structured their “news” to satisfy the demands of their base. Another thread in the support Trump requires for electionz

Then there is the fear his working class supporters have of losing jobs to more qualified new comers.

After the sixteen election research identified bias/bigotry towards all kinds of groups eg blacks, browns, jews, muslims, gays etc was a core motivating factor. One of the consistent authoritarian constants for the last century is the need to develop an “other” that can be demonized in order to create the animus to motivate behavior. Pure manipulation but history proves it works.
You know I was chatting w a friend who runs some money in LA but is this upper class England HS educated Light skinned South African guy. We were discussing various behavior and ethics in our world and it spilled into broader society, he was making a point about ownership and control by using the story of the transfer of land in Rhodesia. We started talking about NIMBY and protecting what one has.

We agreed on this, we’re both deeply flawed (sinners for you religious cats) and understand it and carry an awareness of it daily. But we also agreed that if we are protecting our own, like say zoning near a home we own that we of course would behave in manners that aren’t fair to those without housing but the one thing we know is we’d be honest about it-unlike and I pick on this a lot because it’s fair to do so, John Kerry telling others to pay more while parking his boat in another state, McConnell fighting front running of stocks in heir personal accounts or Cape Cod billionaires keeping offshore wind away from their pretty views but demand others have it in theirs. Transparency, that’s all society needs to a large degree.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:34 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:50 am Individuals with their own minds do exist in the world of politics. There are Democrat policies I value and appreciate, and there are Republican policies I value and appreciate. If a president screws up, they should be called on it--whether they're with the elephants or the donkeys. I can't go down the line with either party. That said--there were things Trump said and did while he was in office that I was grateful for. Conversely there were things he said and did that really aggravated and disappointed me.

One thing I observe on the politics boards from time to time are these sweeping, all-encompassing broad strokes that make those wielding the sloppy paint brush look childish. All Republicans are this. All Democrats are that. All Trump supporters are this. All Biden supporters are that.

Please.
Not sure anyone here has made those declaratory statements other than Brooks and Cradle. You are on a lacrosse board.
Yeah that’s a fairly broad sweeping commentary that misses the mark and is fairly reductive in complaint about reductive behavior.

Probably more than two but I’d venture it’s less than 25% of participants.

Here’s my one absolute:

Dedicated to all the pretty girls
All the pretty girls
All the pretty girls in the world
And the ugly girls too
'Cause to me your pretty anyway, baby
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:57 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:50 am Individuals with their own minds do exist in the world of politics. There are Democrat policies I value and appreciate, and there are Republican policies I value and appreciate. If a president screws up, they should be called on it--whether they're with the elephants or the donkeys. I can't go down the line with either party. That said--there were things Trump said and did while he was in office that I was grateful for. Conversely there were things he said and did that really aggravated and disappointed me
+1. Trump did things I was happy about, no question. And some of the things I was most angry about, Biden came in, and didn't reverse the bad policy. The fat corporate tax cuts come to immediate mind. So that's now a Biden policy.

To quote another poster, however, Trump is unfit for office. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
I tend to prefer “even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut” but this is about a portfolio of work not one event or action. Why one thing is relevant in a portrait is a specious and diversionary tactic to avoid addressing the entirety of the situation or person. Same idiocy with claiming by some (cradle) anyone who ever served is above reproach which is why I need to repeatedly remind him of no other than Timothy McVeigh. But some still don’t get it that loving organisms move with time.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:07 pm Not unusual to find someone taking this escape hatch.
You know I have several degenerate rebuttals at my fingertips because you opened the door with using the term “escape hatch” as if it’s only one way, but I will spare everyone it this one time. And only one time.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:20 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:50 am Individuals with their own minds do exist in the world of politics. There are Democrat policies I value and appreciate, and there are Republican policies I value and appreciate. If a president screws up, they should be called on it--whether they're with the elephants or the donkeys. I can't go down the line with either party. That said--there were things Trump said and did while he was in office that I was grateful for. Conversely there were things he said and did that really aggravated and disappointed me.

One thing I observe on the politics boards from time to time are these sweeping, all-encompassing broad strokes that make those wielding the sloppy paint brush look childish. All Republicans are this. All Democrats are that. All Trump supporters are this. All Biden supporters are that.

Please.
Not sure anyone here has made those declaratory statements other than Brooks and Cradle. You are on a lacrosse board.
Nit pick if you'd like but ONW isn't so wrong here. Ds, Rs, libs, conservatives, they're all phukked up, it just depends on what side you're on that determines where you're going to shoot your arrows. Bring back navlax76, The Chairman, Lady Laker, Lax Fi, fraukness, and a multitude of others and these discussions wouldn't go quite the way they do these days by the handful of posters left, mostly of whom are on one side.
So when the 60+ crowd dominates these and you bug out that I bring up generational issues maybe remember I’m the super minority in that here? It’s exactly the same concept as your argument above. What if the boards had mostly 28-50yrs olds? If it’s only about sheer numbers and bodies over right and wrong then your entire complaint with me sort of disappears like POOF

And I spray arrows as I deem like I had coffee and gack before and after eating at a Mexican buffet in a small Alabama town.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Parodying the Seething Railers

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:06 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:57 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:48 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:08 am

I'm more focused on the people who gave trump power and enbabled him. A much much much larger and vast cohort than many lib hating folks here ever admit to be the case despite the reality of it. There's far too much of it here by protestors that they haven't enable this jerk - its a lie.
Yes, the folks who have submitted are more important that the putative leader to whom they have submitted. You see it here for sure in the "Trump is Obama's fault" and "Democrats keep Trump relevant" nonsense.
:lol: ...cling to the fantasy that you make a difference. Can you bundle & drop in NH ? Do you organize on bingo night at the rest home ?
It seems that is exactly what you are doing. Triump projects as well. Authoritarians are good at it
Do you consider both Haley & DeSantis to be authoritarians ?
That question implies you’d say no and with respect to desantis that’s the delusional fantasyland you’re projecting onto others there.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:39 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:49 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:20 pm

Please.
Nit pick if you'd like but ONW isn't so wrong here. Ds, Rs, libs, conservatives, they're all phukked up, it just depends on what side you're on that determines where you're going to shoot your arrows. Bring back navlax76, The Chairman, Lady Laker, Lax Fi, fraukness, and a multitude of others and these discussions wouldn't go quite the way they do these days by the handful of posters left, mostly of whom are on one side.
“Isn’t so wrong” is a qualifying statement. Nobody here has labeled all republicans this or all democrats are that other than the two I pointed out…but I can be just as wrong as the next guy. No shame in it.
DMac, other than those two, do any of the other regulars (either side of the spectrum) make the sorts of "ALL" claims that ONW was suggesting get made on here?

Hey, there might be someone else, but that's what I would have come up with as well.

Sure, we can find such on other social media platforms, but most people discuss the issues with some nuance on here, regardless of political perspective. Or do you not agree with TLD on that?
DocB?
old salt

TDS therapy circle

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:36 pm

Yes, the folks who have submitted are more important that the putative leader to whom they have submitted. You see it here for sure in the "Trump is Obama's fault" and "Democrats keep Trump relevant" nonsense.
:lol: ...cling to the fantasy that you make a difference. Can you bundle & drop in NH ? Do you organize on bingo night at the rest home ?
It seems that is exactly what you are doing. Triump projects as well. Authoritarians are good at it
That question implies you’d say no and with respect to desantis that’s the delusional fantasyland you’re projecting onto others there.
I don't consider DeSantis to be an authoritarian.
Given his success, it's predictable that's the narrative that's being ginned up.
His repressed subjects in FL appear to be happy with him.
https://www.google.com/search?q=desanti ... nt=gws-wiz
Farfromgeneva

Re: TDS therapy circle

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:37 pm

Given his success, it's predictable that's the narrative that's being ginned up.
Ok….narrative. But you have boots on the ground expertise to state this narrative is false or just guessing from far away? Got a relative you talk to on the phone there?

Posting a link to a search is evidence of absolutely nothing. No idea where you got the notion that is some strong supporting evidence. What are his successes? You didn’t state any at all.

My search history is a algo wrecker so I think you mistake information and supporting evidence substantially here.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

"TDS therapy circle" lol--clever.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:43 pm

Ok….narrative. But you have boots on the ground expertise to state this narrative is false or just guessing from far away? Got a relative you talk to on the phone there?

Posting a link to a search is evidence of absolutely nothing. No idea where you got the notion that is some strong supporting evidence.

My search history is a algo wrecker so I think you mistake information and supporting evidence substantially here.
We own a condo in St Augustine. My wife recently returned from a 2 week stay. She reported nothing new, sinister or alarming.

My search pages were filled with articles containing both "DeSantis" & "authoritarian". It will be interesting to see what other algo's yield.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:55 pm

Posting a link to a search is evidence of absolutely nothing. No idea where you got the notion that is some strong supporting evidence.

We own a condo in St Augustine. My wife recently returned from a 2 week stay. She reported nothing new, sinister or alarming.

My search pages were filled with articles containing both "DeSantis" & "authoritarian". It will be interesting to see what other algo's yield.
That’s your evidence? I mean I was in Longwood visiting my best friend and sons godfather recently and saw all sorts of issues. My client and close friend in Broward county also reports issues in the state.

The use is sinister and alarming is worthless as it’s not what we were discussing and so irrelevant terms and a two week vacation on the beach. Well the visitors in Sun City we’re known to report nothing sinister or alarming either. Takes open minded awareness…

You typed authoritarian in the search field. That’s what the link you proceed states.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well someones spouse vacationed for two weeks on the beach and reported nothing sinister which means he’s clearly beloved by 100% of the population there and nothing is wrong at all.

Of course St Augustine is like 15-20 min up the road from Daytona which is the land of broken trailer park dreams. A wildly broken town. I know because it’s possible I’ve contributed to breaking it…but you won’t convict me of s**t!
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:17 pm

That’s your evidence? I mean I was in Longwood visiting my best friend and sons godfather recently and saw all sorts of issues. My client and close friend in Broward county also reports issues in the state.

The use is sinister and alarming is worthless as it’s not what we were discussing and so irrelevant terms and a two week vacation on the beach. Well the visitors in Sun City we’re known to report nothing sinister or alarming either. Takes open minded awareness…

You typed authoritarian in the search field. That’s what the link you proceed states.
I also typed " DeSantis". The responses contained both.

I'll ask my wife to be more vigilant on her next visit.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:23 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:17 pm

I also typed " DeSantis". The responses contained both.

I'll ask my wife to be more vigilant on her next visit.
yes, the articles indicate all sorts of discussion as to why DeSantis IS an authoritarian. Most notably his use of government powers to target those who disagree with him politically, whether corporate or educational or elected official, officer of the court, immigrants in another state, or children...

But hey, maybe you read something different in those links?

I had these discussions with our gator troll back when Petey was promoting him so hard...I'd started spending 7 months in Florida beginning in 2020 and was paying attention. He seemed plausible at first, made a couple of decent moves around the environment, but then tacked super hard right MAGA wannabe and began using government powers in truly fascist ways.

I don't think he's as much of a whack job as Trump, and certainly doesn't inspire the same rabid cult behavior from his supporters, so likely less dangerous in the immediate term. However, I think he has a higher level of functioning competence, yet with the same authoritarian accrual of power bent of MAGA generally, so dangerous long term if given the full reins of POTUS.

Your wife didn't see anything "sinister" in her little experience in Florida? I don't here either, in my mother's gated community of mostly 70+ year olds, almost 100% white, Christian, and straight...but when I get outside of my protected enclave...

And oh yeah, "happy with him"???
Popularity plummeting among independents in Florida, with 60% disapproving.

Making him one of the 10 least liked Governors in the US: https://floridapolitics.com/archives/64 ... n-america/

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/fl ... rom%20July.

Some MAGA types still like him? Yeah, just not as much as Trump...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... orida-poll

Remember Hogan's #'s?
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

DeSantis is a success? He's been underwater (sometimes literallly) for a year now. One of the most disapproved governors in America. Huge flip flop from his own party and state. Don't think Peter Brown would even like him now.

Return to “POLITICS”