Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:51 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:49 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:26 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:21 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:42 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:32 am
OCanada wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:51 am If anyone missed Pvt Ryan this is the final scene.

https://youtu.be/IZgoufN99n8?feature=shared

His words:
“These men from my unit gave up their lives for our country during the year I served in Vietnam:
Roger Alan Dains
Jerry Laborn Booker
Harvey Watkins Booker
Samuel Morales
Thurman Tracy Walls
Daniel Edward Wolfe
Philip Wayne Grindol
Ronald Nelson Wanbaugh
James Bruce Tasker
Daniel Brophy
Roland Louie Florio
Byron Clair Tucker
James Keith Knutson
Oscar K Higganbotham, Jr.
Bruce Clayton Brogoitti
Donald Dale Hawkins
Wayne Joseph Benes
Ronald Marvin Delp
Michael Dominic Paonessa”

D Troop 3rd Squadron. 5th Cav

I visit them annually before sun up.

Now back to our scheduled program.
"There's so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Now the sun's gone to hell, and
The moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die

But it's written in the starlight
And every line in your palm
We're fools to make war
On our brothers in arms"

You had me at Mark Knopfler
Ever see “Local Hero”? A little, “non-confrontational” comedy. Might be my favorite film. Toss up between it and Bladerunner.

Anyway, soundtrack by Knopfler. Very similar sonically to Brothers in Arms. Knopfler’s interest in country/traditional music is evident.

My mother, an actress, took me to some good films when I was a teenager. I should have paid more attention to what she was telling me.
Nope but it’s been added to my list now so thanks. I’m a macabre, sardonic aficionado Flannery OConner, Beckett, Martin McDonough type so hope its hits.
Not this film. Many studios turned it down because all of the characters were "good people." Show it to your children. They will appreciate it later.
Ahh got it. I can enjoy a hallmark type movie if it makes my kids feel good. Right now Junior is going sellout gangsta pre gaming the UGA evisceration of Ga Tech that he will get to enjoy from the 50yr line about 7 rows back just above the ESPN cameras.
Not a Hallmark or after school special. It is just a good movie made by someone with real intelligence. Funny without being stupid. Not very American because, well, it's not an American "product."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Forsyth

"If it's not Scots, it's crap!!"
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:48 pm
OCanada wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:51 am If anyone missed Pvt Ryan this is the final scene.

His words:
“These men from my unit gave up their lives for our country during the year I served in Vietnam:
Roger Alan Dains
Jerry Laborn Booker
Harvey Watkins Booker
Samuel Morales
Thurman Tracy Walls
Daniel Edward Wolfe
Philip Wayne Grindol
Ronald Nelson Wanbaugh
James Bruce Tasker
Daniel Brophy
Roland Louie Florio
Byron Clair Tucker
James Keith Knutson
Bruce Clayton Brogoitti
Donald Dale Hawkins
Wayne Joseph Benes
Ronald Marvin Delp

So many different suns

The moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die

We're fools to make war
On our brothers in arms"

Ever see “Local Hero”? A little, “non-confrontational” comedy. Might be my favorite film. Toss up between it and Bladerunner.

Anyway, soundtrack by Knopfler. Very similar sonically to Brothers in Arms. Knopfler’s interest in country/traditional music is evident.

My mother, an actress, took me to some good films when I was a teenager. I should have paid more attention to what she was telling me.
I loved Bladerunner. I need to read the book. I liked 2049 on second viewing. Did you know Decker may have been a replicant in the first film?
Couldn’t make it past the 20-25 min mark on 2049 yet. Will try again eventually.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:55 pm

His words:
Roger Alan Dains
Jerry Laborn Booker
Harvey Watkins Booker
Samuel Morales
Thurman Tracy Walls
Daniel Edward Wolfe
Philip Wayne Grindol
Ronald Nelson Wanbaugh
James Bruce Tasker
Daniel Brophy
Roland Louie Florio
Byron Clair Tucker
James Keith Knutson
Bruce Clayton Brogoitti
Donald Dale Hawkins
Wayne Joseph Benes
Ronald Marvin Delp

So many different suns

The moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die

We're fools to make war
On our brothers in arms"

I loved Bladerunner. I need to read the book. I liked 2049 on second viewing. Did you know Decker may have been a replicant in the first film?
Never I question in my mind.

"I need your magic. I need the old bladerunner. You could learn from this guy, Gaf, he's a one-man killing machine."

"Deckard, did you ever take that test yourself?"

He was clearly an early (prior to Nexus 6) version.

I saw it twice in the theaters when it first came out. Two showings in a row. I paid for both -- I was young...
That movie in the theater must’ve been fun. I also presumed Decker wasn’t “flesh and blood human”.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:02 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:55 pm

His words:
Roger Alan Dains
Jerry Laborn Booker
Harvey Watkins Booker
Samuel Morales
Thurman Tracy Walls
Daniel Edward Wolfe
Philip Wayne Grindol
Ronald Nelson Wanbaugh
James Bruce Tasker
Daniel Brophy
Roland Louie Florio
Byron Clair Tucker
James Keith Knutson
Bruce Clayton Brogoitti
Donald Dale Hawkins
Wayne Joseph Benes
Ronald Marvin Delp

So many different suns

The moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die

We're fools to make war
On our brothers in arms"

Never I question in my mind.

"I need your magic. I need the old bladerunner. You could learn from this guy, Gaf, he's a one-man killing machine."

"Deckard, did you ever take that test yourself?"

He was clearly an early (prior to Nexus 6) version.

I saw it twice in the theaters when it first came out. Two showings in a row. I paid for both -- I was young...
That movie in the theater must’ve been fun. I also presumed Decker wasn’t “flesh and blood human”.
Here's a fascinating view into film making.

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:00 pm

His words:
Roger Alan Dains
Jerry Laborn Booker
Harvey Watkins Booker
Samuel Morales
Thurman Tracy Walls
Daniel Edward Wolfe
Philip Wayne Grindol
Ronald Nelson Wanbaugh
James Bruce Tasker
Daniel Brophy
Roland Louie Florio
Byron Clair Tucker
James Keith Knutson
Bruce Clayton Brogoitti
Donald Dale Hawkins
Wayne Joseph Benes
Ronald Marvin Delp

So many different suns

The moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die

We're fools to make war
On our brothers in arms"

Couldn’t make it past the 20-25 min mark on 2049 yet. Will try again eventually.
I didn’t like it the first time. Liked it more the second time. A worthy successor.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Putting it out here

To Shrink Learning Gap, This District Offers Classes Separated by Race

High school in Evanston, Ill., offers so-called affinity classes, in which Black and Latino students are separated from white students

By Sara RandazzoFollow
and Douglas BelkinFollow
Nov. 26, 2023 8:00 am ET
“Our Black students are, for lack of a better word…at the bottom, consistently still. And they are being outperformed consistently,” Monique Parsons, Evanston school board vice president, said at a November board meeting. “It’s not good.”

School districts across the country have sometimes struggled to find ways to boost the performance of Black and Latino students, who, nationwide, tend to enroll in fewer advanced classes and score lower on standardized tests than white students.

Evanston Township High School prides itself on offering 36 different Advanced Placement courses. Photo: Mary Mathis for The Wall Street Journal
Creating classes for students of a single race is a strategy that has been used sparingly in public K-12 education. When it does happen, it is more often in elective classes or after-school programs focused on leadership skills and creating a sense of belonging. Researchers have found some small improvements in grades and retention from such programs. Other studies have shown some improved educational outcomes, such as graduation rates, for Black and Latino students taught by teachers of the same race.

Public schools have also dabbled with separating students by gender, with successful programs that, for instance, encourage girls to become engineers.

School districts in Minneapolis, Seattle, San Francisco and Oakland, Calif., offer optional, race-specific elective courses. Federal antidiscrimination laws prevent public schools from mandatorily separating students by race, but education lawyers say optional courses can comply with the law.

“A lot of times within our education system, Black students are expected to conform to a white standard,” said Dena Luna, who leads Black student-achievement initiatives in Minneapolis Public Schools. The district offers middle- and high-school students electives focused on African-American history and social-emotional support, taught by teachers of color. Created in 2015 for Black boys, the format has expanded to Black girls and will soon expand to Latino students. An internal study showed improved attendance for Black boys in the program in 2017 and average GPAs of 2.27, compared with 2.14 for Black males districtwide.

A goal of the Evanston school district is eliminating the predictability of academic achievement based on race. Photo: Taylor Glascock for The Wall Street Journal
“In our spaces, you don’t have to shed one ounce of yourself because everything about our space is rooted in Blackness,” Luna said.

Max Eden, an education researcher at the conservative-leaning American Enterprise Institute, said he believes affinity classes undermine the goal of the Civil Rights Act.

“Integration is a positive social good,” he said. “We want students to be colorblind and to treat each other only on the basis of who they are as human beings.”

Educators who have worked on race-specific equity initiatives say success depends on having broad community buy-in and effective teachers in place.

Christopher Chatmon, who founded a program called Kingmakers of Oakland to help Black boys, said he spends at least a year “tilling the soil” by building political support with community groups before launching in a new district. Kingmakers partners with the districts in San Francisco, Oakland and Seattle to offer elective classes that support Black students.

A 2019 study on the original program for Black boys offered by the Oakland Unified School District found that students who took the affinity class were slightly less likely to drop out of school. The district also offers elective and advisory classes designated for Latino, Asian Pacific Islander and Arab students, said Jerome Gourdine, director of targeted strategies for the district’s office of equity.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

Are separate classes the best way to expand access to AP courses and college study? Join the conversation below.

Evanston is taking the strategy one step further, offering courses for Black and Latino students in core math classes: algebra 2, precalculus and AP calculus, as well as an English seminar. Evanston’s classes for Black students are known as AXLE, an acronym for Advancing Excellence, Lifting Everyone, and those for Latino students are called GANAS, from a Spanish expression that means “giving it all you’ve got.”

Leaders in Evanston’s high-school district, board members and teachers declined or ignored repeated requests to comment on the courses over several months. When a Wall Street Journal reporter arrived at a public meeting for parents of Black students, a district spokeswoman said she would cancel the meeting if the reporter didn’t leave.

The district’s superintendent, Marcus Campbell, told the student newspaper this year that the affinity classes are meant to provide “a different, more familiar setting to kids who feel really anxious about being in an AP class.”

Evanston’s 3,600-student high school is 44% white, 24% Black, 20% Hispanic and 5% Asian. The community, home to Northwestern University, is a mix of wealthy families and lower-income households.

Equity guides many of the district’s decisions, embodied in a stated board goal: “Recognizing that racism is the most devastating factor contributing to the diminished achievement of students, ETHS will strive to eliminate the predictability of academic achievement based upon race.”

Newsletter Sign-up

The 10-Point.

A personal, guided tour to the best scoops and stories every day in The Wall Street Journal.

This school year, at least 105 students are enrolled in GANAS math courses, according to data the Journal obtained through a public-records request. Another 72 are enrolled in AXLE math courses, and 14 in an AXLE sophomore English class.

The program began with a precalculus class for Black students in 2019. The district hasn’t presented any analyses on whether the affinity courses have improved student outcomes.

Student testimonials included in a presentation Evanston teachers gave at a conference last fall described how students feel more accepted in the classes.

“I feel like I represent me and not the whole black race in this AP class,” said a student who took an AXLE class in 2021. “It’s a safe space. In AP classes that are mostly white, I feel like if I answer wrong, I am representing all black kids. I stay quiet in those classes.”

A GANAS student who identified as half-Latina said, “I feel accepted for the first time in a long time.”

Evanston’s high school prides itself on offering 36 different Advanced Placement courses, which can earn students college credit. Around three-quarters of white students in 11th and 12th grade enroll in AP classes, district data shows, compared with a quarter of Black students and around a third of Latino students.

In the 2021-22 school year, the most recent available, 80% of white AP test takers earned a score of 3 or higher, often the benchmark needed to get college credit, compared with 61% of Latino test takers and 48% of Black test takers.

Glenn Singleton, a racial-equity consultant who has worked with Evanston’s high school for more than a decade, said the race-separated classes ideally wouldn’t need to exist. “The ultimate goal is not having an affinity section of algebra,” he said. “It’s to have no disparity.”

Write to Sara Randazzo at [email protected] and Douglas Belkin at [email protected]
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/palest ... een-ahmed/

“Burlington, Vermont, police are searching for a white man who is suspected of shooting three 20-year-old men of Palestinian descent on Saturday, police said.

The three men were in Burlington visiting the home of one of the victim's relatives for Thanksgiving, police said. They were on Prospect Street when an armed white man confronted them and, without speaking, allegedly discharged at least four rounds around 6:30 p.m.”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:10 pm Putting it out here

High school in Evanston, Ill., offers so-called affinity classes, in which Black and Latino students are separated from white students

Evanston is taking the strategy one step further, offering courses for Black and Latino students in core math classes: algebra 2, precalculus and AP calculus, as well as an English seminar. Evanston’s classes for Black students are known as AXLE, an acronym for Advancing Excellence, Lifting Everyone, and those for Latino students are called GANAS, from a Spanish expression that means “giving it all you’ve got.”

The district’s superintendent, Marcus Campbell, told the student newspaper this year that the affinity classes are meant to provide “a different, more familiar setting to kids who feel really anxious about being in an AP class.”

Evanston’s 3,600-student high school is 44% white, 24% Black, 20% Hispanic and 5% Asian. The community, home to Northwestern University, is a mix of wealthy families and lower-income households.

Equity guides many of the district’s decisions, embodied in a stated board goal: “Recognizing that racism is the most devastating factor contributing to the diminished achievement of students, ETHS will strive to eliminate the predictability of academic achievement based upon race.”

This school year, at least 105 students are enrolled in GANAS math courses, according to data the Journal obtained through a public-records request. Another 72 are enrolled in AXLE math courses, and 14 in an AXLE sophomore English class.

The program began with a precalculus class for Black students in 2019.
Along the same line. Just putting this out there.

https://jbhe.com/2016/10/remedial-educa ... nt-emerge/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/achievem ... _b_2035712
With the majority of public school students in economically stable metropolitan areas like Washington, D.C. being people of color, the shortcomings of the K-12 education system in the region disproportionately affect schools that serve that demographic. Unfortunately, the growing achievement gaps in Washington, D.C. and Maryland make it even less likely that students attending HBCUs are prepared on day one of college.

Due to the significant impact of remediation, our HBCUs are in a unique position to benefit from reforms in how we remediate our students.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:51 pm

With the majority of public school students in economically stable metropolitan areas like Washington, D.C. being people of color, the shortcomings of the K-12 education system in the region disproportionately affect schools that serve that demographic. Unfortunately, the growing achievement gaps in Washington, D.C. and Maryland make it even less likely that students attending HBCUs are prepared on day one of college.

Due to the significant impact of remediation, our HBCUs are in a unique position to benefit from reforms in how we remediate our students.
Black folk I know sent their kids to Yale, Columbia, Northwestern, US Naval Academy, Harvard, Swarthmore, Stanford and Wash U. Those schools did a good job of remediating those kids.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:35 pm

Black folk I know sent their kids to Yale, Columbia, Northwestern, US Naval Academy, Harvard, Swarthmore, Stanford and Wash U. Those schools did a good job of remediating those kids.
USNA failed to successfully remediate this promising young man, despite a year of prep school & summer school after freshman year.
He aspired to be a USMC infantry officer. Leadership was his favorite course. Calc 2 his most challenging.
The Marines lost a promising future officer.

https://navysports.com/news/2023/5/14/f ... eaton.aspx

https://twitter.com/TheRealTedros?ref_s ... _&ref_url=

His Coach had this to say about him.
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
Quarterback Teddy Gleaton announced via social media this week that he has entered the transfer portal. The Waldorf native was unable to overcome the academic issues that derailed a strong push to become the starter this season.

Newberry said the sophomore had improved his performance in the classroom during the fall semester, but the Naval Academy academic board did not see enough progress to make a positive recommendation to the superintendent.

“I’m really disappointed because I thought Teddy had a chance. He had a really good semester and had turned things around academically,” Newberry said. “I was hoping that would carry some weight, but apparently it wasn’t enough.”

Gleaton had a strong spring camp and emerged as the starter... However, Gleaton’s time atop the depth chart proved short-lived as he could not attend weekday practices during training camp while taking summer school classes. He wound up serving on scout team early in the season while going through the academic review process.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:55 pm

USNA failed to successfully remediate this promising young man, despite a year of prep school & summer school after freshman year.
He aspired to be a USMC infantry officer. Leadership was his favorite course. Calc 2 his most challenging.

Quarterback Teddy Gleaton announced via social media this week that he has entered the transfer portal. The Waldorf native was unable to overcome the academic issues that derailed a strong push to become the starter this season.

Newberry said the sophomore had improved his performance in the classroom during the fall semester, but the Naval Academy academic board did not see enough progress to make a positive recommendation to the superintendent.

“I’m really disappointed because I thought Teddy had a chance. He had a really good semester and had turned things around academically,” Newberry said. “I was hoping that would carry some weight, but apparently it wasn’t enough.”

Gleaton had a strong spring camp and emerged as the starter... However, Gleaton’s time atop the depth chart proved short-lived as he could not attend weekday practices during training camp while taking summer school classes. He wound up serving on scout team early in the season while going through the academic review process.
Not for everyone I suppose.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:08 pm

I hope that another school gives him a chance to play football & complete his degree, ...& then he becomes a Marine Corps Officer.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:08 pm

I hope that another school gives him a chance to play football & complete his degree, ...& then he becomes a Marine Officer.
That would be nice.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/26/us/pales ... index.html

Could easily be friends with children some of us may know, given the schools these students attend….
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:16 am https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/26/us/pales ... index.html

Could easily be friends with children some of us may know, given the schools these students attend….
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WjT3OH8qB5M
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:31 pmhttps://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/palest ... een-ahmed/

“Burlington, Vermont, police are searching for a white man who is suspected of shooting three 20-year-old men of Palestinian descent on Saturday, police said.

The three men were in Burlington visiting the home of one of the victim's relatives for Thanksgiving, police said. They were on Prospect Street when an armed white man confronted them and, without speaking, allegedly discharged at least four rounds around 6:30 p.m.”
Apparently in this country wearing a Keffiyeh is a dangerous activity. Illustrative of how many Americans settle differences with firearms.
This idiot shot these three kids outside his front entrance to his apartment. :oops: Allegedly told the cops when they knocked on his door that he was expecting them. Of course, legally purchased forearm.

On another note - the Palestinians were students at Brown, Middlebury and Haverford and also ironically attended a Quaker school in the West Bank.
Last edited by Kismet on Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Pleading not guilty? He could’ve been the next Travis Leich

https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Travis_Leich
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For all the people who “look like them can’t discriminate because they’re the same tone” crowd…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TLnUJzueB ... FIAQ%3D%3D
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:10 pm For all the people who “look like them can’t discriminate because they’re the same tone” crowd…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TLnUJzueB ... FIAQ%3D%3D

Kinda reminds me of what happened yesterday on a city bus:

Drunk white Karen talks loudly to a black dude who she doesn't know. For some reason she says "I love you" about seven times. Dude asks her to stop. She says something inaudible and he replies "that's racist". Then, despite having protested her "love" just a bit before, she shouts "you're a mother f______g n//////r!" Black dude stood up and appeared ready to smack her but thought better of it. Told the driver, "I better get off the bus". She then says "yeah, get off". He stands directly in front of her and says "don't tell me what to do". She goes silent and he leaves. Then the driver tells her that everything is recorded and that she could have gotten into big trouble because of her conduct. She decides to stay silent and eventually leaves. Everybody on the bus stayed discreetly silent but clearly were grateful that it hadn't escalated into something really bad.

That's the kid of excretia that takes place every day in the USA. Too bad that all too often we succumb to propaganda and always prefer to get involved in meaningless but profitable foreign wars while people get injured or killed every day because of situations like this that you never hear or read about in your newspapers.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “POLITICS”