Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:03 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:32 am
You do realize the leading cause of death among children in the USA is guns.
I find this to be somewhat misleading in the context of the assault weapons and school shootings discussion.
Guns kill too many children, period. Agree.
"Children". Homicide is the number one cause of gun deaths among "children". You can get rid of every AR15
and other types of assault weapons and that will change next to nothing (legalizing all drugs would do more, IMO).
Too many children killing other children. When you put your uniform on and go off to war at 18-19 you're a man,
when 18-19 killing your enemy in the drug war you're a child.
Looked at another way, Black children and teens were roughly five times as likely as their White counterparts to die from gunfire in 2021. There were 11.8 gun deaths per 100,000 Black children and teens that year, compared with 2.3 gun deaths per 100,000 White children and teens. The gun death rate among Hispanic children and teens was also 2.3 deaths per 100,000 in 2021, while it was lower among Asian children and teens (0.9 per 100,000).

There are also major racial and ethnic differences in the types of gun deaths involving children and teens. In 2021, a large majority of gun deaths involving Black children and teens (84%) were homicides, while 9% were suicides. Among White children and teens, by contrast, the majority of gun deaths (66%) were suicides, while a much smaller share (24%) were homicides.

In this analysis, Black, White and Asian children and teens include only those who are single-race and not Hispanic, while Hispanic children and teens are of any race.
https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads ... two-years/
I think we have a gun problem in general. AR 15 included. (I don’t believe that you think we don’t have a gun problem. I am assuming we are in agreement. I may have moved beyond AR 15).
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:52 pm
I find this to be somewhat misleading in the context of the assault weapons and school shootings discussion.
"Children". Homicide is the number one cause of gun deaths among "children". You can get rid of every AR15
and other types of assault weapons and that will change next to nothing (legalizing all drugs would do more, IMO).
Too many children killing other children. When you put your uniform on and go off to war at 18-19 you're a man,
Looked at another way, Black children and teens were roughly five times as likely as their White counterparts to die from gunfire in 2021. There were 11.8 gun deaths per 100,000 Black children and teens that year, compared with 2.3 gun deaths per 100,000 White children and teens. The gun death rate among Hispanic children and teens was also 2.3 deaths per 100,000 in 2021, while it was lower among Asian children and teens (0.9 per 100,000).

There are also major racial and ethnic differences in the types of gun deaths involving children and teens. In 2021, a large majority of gun deaths involving Black children and teens (84%) were homicides, while 9% were suicides. Among White children and teens, by contrast, the majority of gun deaths (66%) were suicides, while a much smaller share (24%) were homicides.

In this analysis, Black, White and Asian children and teens include only those who are single-race and not Hispanic, while Hispanic children and teens are of any race.
I think we have a gun problem in general. AR 15 included. (I don’t believe that you think we don’t have a gun problem. I am assuming we are in agreement. I may have moved beyond AR 15).
Do your sentiments include felons in possession of illegal weapons?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:46 pm

Are you stupid?
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Too many guns, too easily accessible. Type, caliber, round capacity, aren't the real issues, IMO. Numbers, availability, and our hell bent mentality that everyone (virtually) has the right (duty?) to own a gun. You really don't get to first base if you say anything other than that. 2A, the armed militia, gotta have that or we're all phukked. As much as I'd like to hope for meaningful/effective change, I find it real hard to do so. That real strong gun culture comes with consequences and we seem to be alright with that.
Hey, here's an idea....how 'bout we have Mulvaney start pushing guns??? Good chance it'll cause a big boycott. ;)
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:03 pm

Too many guns, too easily accessible. Type, caliber, round capacity, aren't the real issues, IMO. Numbers, availability, and our hell bent mentality that everyone (virtually) has the right (duty?) to own a gun. You really don't get to first base if you say anything other than that. 2A, the armed militia, gotta have that or we're all phukked. As much as I'd like to hope for meaningful/effective change, I find it real hard to do so. That real strong gun culture comes with consequences and we seem to be alright with that.
Hey, here's an idea....how 'bout we have Mulvaney start pushing guns??? ;)
I believe we are in agreement. Change takes time. Who knows what this country will see in 100 years. We won’t be around however. In the long run, minority rule isn’t sustainable.
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:08 pm I believe we are in agreement. Change takes time. Who knows what this country will see in 100 years. We won’t be around however. In the long run, minority rule isn’t sustainable.
Actually minority rule was the key to how we got here - The electoral college, the filibuster rule. You can trace almost all of it back to the Constitutional Convention of 1787 wherein the method they got the slave states to buy in even though they were a minority of the delegates who were voting.

Majority rule with minority rights

https://www.pbs.org/tpt/constitution-us ... al/rights/

The minority rights initially protected slavery and allowed minority of Southern States to influence tariff policy. Recall nullification crisis in 1832

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullifica ... stitution)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCulloch_v._Maryland
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:09 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:08 pm I believe we are in agreement. Change takes time. Who knows what this country will see in 100 years. We won’t be around however. In the long run, minority rule isn’t sustainable.
Actually minority rule was the key to how we got here - The electoral college, the filibuster rule. You can trace almost all of it back to the Constitutional Convention of 1787 wherein the method they got the slave states to buy in even though they were a minority of the delegates who were voting.

The minority rights initially protected slavery and allowed minority of Southern States to influence tariff policy. Recall nullification crisis in 1832

Hopefully the will of the people eventually wins out.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:03 am
Kismet wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:09 am

Hopefully the will of the people eventually wins out.
What are you, some kind of eternal optimist or something?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:19 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:46 pm

Are you stupid?
I'm pretty smart old sod. I do struggle trying to understand your stupidity. Are you as stupid as your logic says you are? 8-)
I would think you would be consistent in your criticism. What is YOUR opinion of criminals in possession of ILLEGAL WEAPONS?? You can reply in cartoon form if you prefer.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

When one reduces beyond the essence as a way of life there’s no point.
Typical Lax Dad

I am against illegal weapons and crimes committed with the use of a deadly weapon. Illegal or otherwise. I believe we have a gun problem in this country and I would work to reduce the supply of weapons which may make it even more difficult for a gun to find its way to criminals. Who manufactures illegal guns? Who is in that business? Those weapons come off a different manufacturing line? Are illegal guns “factory seconds” or something?
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:26 am I am against illegal weapons and crimes committed with the use of a deadly weapon. Illegal or otherwise. I believe we have a gun problem in this country and I would work to reduce the supply of weapons which may make it even more difficult for a gun to find its way to criminals. Who manufactures illegal guns? Who is in that business? Those weapons come off a different manufacturing line? Are illegal guns “factory seconds” or something?
The stupidity of some is that the law of large numbers means the more in circulation the more problems society will have. This is true of most things. The argument that the diversification of ownership will reduce volatility is ret….it will become a circular firing squad not a more peaceful society.

Neal Brennan has it right. Imagine if Brooklyn we’re rocking assault weapons. You’d all be walking around terrified and he’s legally legit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n8YwV6huCmE
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:55 am When one reduces beyond the essence as a way of life there’s no point.
I can’t believe someone with a functioning brain stem believes someone is “for” illegal weapons and crime, unless that person is a criminal.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:36 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:55 am When one reduces beyond the essence as a way of life there’s no point.
I can’t believe someone with a functioning brain stem believes someone is “for” illegal weapons and crime, unless that person is a criminal.
These questions come up from him all the time. Posed as either wildly stupid, disingenuous and bad faith or worse. And I’m not sure what is worse than being that stupid.

It’s probably stupid childish form gaslighting. But the fact you can’t tell is a signal of something regarding that person.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:32 am

Neal Brennan has it right. Imagine if Brooklyn we’re rocking assault weapons. You’d all be walking around terrified and he’s legally legit.

This is a helluva a thing to say because he (and others) might well say the same about you and therein lies the problem.
Who makes that determination of who is legally legit to own a gun? Oh, 2A does whether you like that person, agree with him/her, feel as if he/she should have a gun or not.

I don't believe it's a minority that believes we have a right to own guns. The majority is in favor of background checks, Red Flag laws, etc but ultimately we still strongly believe in (virtually everyone's) the right to bear arms. Until that changes (not gonna happen in our lifetimes) not much is going to change in the line of gun deaths, IMO. Ultimately we're okay with the consequences of that, we've proven that time and time again.
https://www.nbcnews.com/data-graphics/6 ... -rcna30537
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:17 am

This is a helluva a thing to say because he (and others) might well say the same about you and therein lies the problem.
Who makes that determination of who is legally legit to own a gun? Oh, 2A does whether you like that person, agree with him/her, feel as if he/she should have a gun or not.

I don't believe it's a minority that believes we have a right to own guns. The majority is in favor of background checks, Red Flag laws, etc but ultimately we still strongly believe in (virtually everyone's) the right to bear arms. Until that changes (not gonna happen in our lifetimes) not much is going to change in the line of gun deaths, IMO. Ultimately we're okay with the consequences of that, we've proven that time and time again.
https://www.nbcnews.com/data-graphics/6 ... -rcna30537
I don’t believe many Americans don’t believe in the right to own a gun. That’s just conflating the issue. That’s why nothing gets done. It is the all or nothing mentality that is pushed.

Most Americans favor more regulation….just like most Americans believe in freedom of choice when it comes to abortion and most Americans believe we should make voting easier not harder.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

Don’t know where average Americans believe guns should be banned in this country. There are always extremes but put it on a bell shaped curve and most people favored more regulation not banning guns.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
“I wish you would!”
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

DMac wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:17 am

We let a jury of 12 of our peers make decisions regarding our legal status and rights daily (for better and worse sometimes).

The mechanism is already in place.
DMac

Post by DMac »

No disagreement there but you don't need to take a jury of twelve with you when you go out to buy a gun, you're good to get one without them. You'll likely face that jury of your peers after you've killed someone with it but not before. That's where we struggle, who gets one (or 50) and who doesn't?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:12 am No disagreement there but you don't need to take a jury of twelve with you when you go out to buy a gun, you're good to get one without them. You'll likely face that jury of your peers after you've killed someone with it but not before. That's where we struggle, who gets one (or 50) and who doesn't?
I think the point is or should be that we do have the rule of law, which includes due process, which though may be imperfect at times, is nevertheless the best system yet devised for adjudicating such issues.

That system is helpful for delineating the constitutionally protected rights of individuals within society, the balancing of various interests within a society under that constitution and the laws generated through democratically elected representatives, and then the direct administration of those laws as particularized to individual cases.

It's not supposed to be simple or easy.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, understood. Not a flawless system with deadly consequences which we're okay with.
2A rules.

Return to “POLITICS”