New England West-1 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
ctbagataway

Re: New England West-1 2019

Post by ctbagataway »

As Justafan mentioned, don't look past tomorrow. There are some big league games on the schedule.

3pm--kicking the day off, Choate hosts TP. Hard one to pick, both teams have been playing tough. I'll take Choate at home, 11-9.

3:30--Avon vs. Brunswick, this should be exciting. The Winged Beavers offense can put up some big numbers, but assuming Brunswick is properly focused, they should be ready for the challenge. Brunswick wins the battle at the X and takes it, 10-7.

3:30--DA vs. Kent. An 11-2 Deerfield got their scare this weekend, they will be at home and amped. Kent got their one win for the season already. Deerfield by however many they choose.

4:00--Salisbury vs. Taft. Another great game in the making. Can Taft pull off the upset? I don't see it, after close losses to Westy, DA and Choate. Salisbury 15-8.

4:00--Westminster at Berkshire. Despite both teams having losing records, they have been playing teams tight. Berk is coming off a 9-11 loss to Choate on Monday, hope they can regroup after short rest. I like Berkshire at home, 9-8 in OT.

Other non-league contests, Loomis hosts Williston Northampton at 4:30 and Hotchkiss travels to Albany Academy, also at 4:30.

Enjoy each of these games tomorrow, the NE West 1 season is, sadly, almost over. The intensity of these games should be very high, as the players realize their season is almost finished and there are no playoffs to look forward to.

Here are the standings currently (in alphabetical order in the event of ties) [EDITED TO CORRECT BERKSHIRE'S RECORD]
1. Avon, Brunswick and Salisbury (all 7-0)
4. Deerfield (8-1)
5. Choate (5-3)
6. TP (3-3)
7. Taft (3-4)
8. Loomis (3-5) (not if 6-8 are different at all, but in my ranking more losses is lower ranking)
9. Berkshire (3-7)
10. Hotchkiss and Westminster at 2-6
12. NMH (0-7)
13. Kent (0-8)

So realistically, 4 teams are still alive for the league title and everyone else is playing to be the spoiler. The seniors are realizing their high school careers are coming to an end, and we have seen many upsets over these next two weeks in the past.
Last edited by ctbagataway on Wed May 08, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Are there any livestreams?
grelch

Post by grelch »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:16 pm Are there any livestreams?
The two biggies:

Salisbury v Taft stream: https://www.salisburyschool.org/athleti ... eam-action

AOF v Wick: https://www.avonoldfarms.com/athletics/live-stream
PrepLax1142

Post by PrepLax1142 »

blue angels wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:05 am
PrepLax1142 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:11 pm Last year Brunswick was the best high school lacrosse team I have ever seen; however, their loss to Bury last year was inexcusable (costing them their rightful #1 ranking) and the Wick players know it. They need to take their pain from last years loss and put it into the game on Friday. With a less talented team Wick is going to need to come out with HEART and HUSTLE in order to get the win.

Salisbury's this year is similar to position Brunswick was last year entering this game: undefeated, chance to get #1, and hype around the team. Personally, I think the knights are extremely cocky and are not going to know what hits them on Friday. Can't wait to see the commits all over the field for Bury play against some real competition for the first time this year.

Salisbury will not be ready and will not handle the pressure.
No idea who wins but a Very naive post about Salisbury’s schedule with wins over the best team in Philly and the best team in Washington DC. Those are both hot bed lax areas. Haverford and Georgetown Prep are highly ranked National lacrosse powers loaded with D1 commitments and play like it.
Haverford and Gtown Prep are nowhere close to the powerhouses of NE 1 (Bury, Wick, DF, AVO) and Hill/Culver. Please do not compare them. Bury is a good team with one of the best rosters I have seen. As for your naive comment ... hope Bury can be you angel and life up to the hype. It would be naive to think not.
beastboyz99

Post by beastboyz99 »

Not to change the course of this discussion or anything; but, I have an interesting question. For all us old-timers, if you were a high schooler again, and you could choose from any NE 1 West school to attend (Even Wick), which would you choose and why? I'm intrigued :D
CT Transplant

Post by CT Transplant »

Haverford lost by 3 to Culver 2 to Salisbury and 1 to St.Anthonys without PGs!!
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

beastboyz99 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:37 pm Not to change the course of this discussion or anything; but, I have an interesting question. For all us old-timers, if you were a high schooler again, and you could choose from any NE 1 West school to attend (Even Wick), which would you choose and why? I'm intrigued :D
Incredibly easy answer. Most of us have inside info and are biased. But it’s Wick. Your life doesn’t change at all but your life trajectory dramatically improves. Free man after the bell rings. Coed. Close to NYC. Guaranteed admission to name brand college. Good lifestyle. Selective, but academically manageable
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Yup. It would be Wick by a large margin
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

I feel like our league isn't getting the credit it deserves this year. Many of the teams have improved significantly over the course of the season, which shouldn't be a surprise given the later start (relative to teams from other areas). Look at DA as an example. Lost what probably should have been a scrimmage given the "spring break" nature of the trip, and then lost to Brunswick early, but have been on a roll since. And the strength of the league is getting back to where it was a few years ago, with only two easy outs (NMH and Kent). Every other game is a dogfight. Case in point, one of the "bottom" teams in the league (Hotchkiss) nearly knocked off Deerfield, a team in the hunt for the title. And Berkshire only lost to Choate by 2. The spread between the top teams and the 11th hasn't been this tight in a while, and it is a good sign. I only wish there was more opportunity for teams to schedule out of league games later in the season when they are in better form, but that is difficult given the size of the league. Not impossible, many teams manage to do it, but with the understable focus on winning the league, it is harder to jam more games in.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:13 am
beastboyz99 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:37 pm Not to change the course of this discussion or anything; but, I have an interesting question. For all us old-timers, if you were a high schooler again, and you could choose from any NE 1 West school to attend (Even Wick), which would you choose and why? I'm intrigued :D
Incredibly easy answer. Most of us have inside info and are biased. But it’s Wick. Your life doesn’t change at all but your life trajectory dramatically improves. Free man after the bell rings. Coed. Close to NYC. Guaranteed admission to name brand college. Good lifestyle. Selective, but academically manageable
I guess that's one way to look at it. Life not changing. Guaranteed admission (that must be one heck of a selling point). And academically manageable. Seems like a perfectly contained and maintained comfort bubble.

I'm thinking the boarding schools might as well board up the windows and stick a "For Sale" sign on the front lawn... :shock:
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:54 am
PrimeTime21 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:13 am
I guess that's one way to look at it. Life not changing. Guaranteed admission (that must be one heck of a selling point). And academically manageable. Seems like a perfectly contained and maintained comfort bubble.

I'm thinking the boarding schools might as well board up the windows and stick a "For Sale" sign on the front lawn... :shock:
Well you joke, but actually yeah. If parents aren’t going through a nasty divorce, the kid isn’t a problem kid, and the family is loving and supportive, boarding school is an ersatz option.

Boarding schools were an old WASP thing. They seem to be losing market share to everyone but foreigners or children with sad home lives.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Okey dokey, Primetime. Getting a little trolling in early today?

I do like your use of ersatz. Good SAT word!

I'm over and out on this line of "reasoning".

And now I'm off to my therapist. Being a problem kid with a sad home life who was shoveled off to boarding school by my hateful Waspy parents who were going through a nasty divorce has left scars that have lasted a lifetime...
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:46 am Boarding schools were an old WASP thing. They seem to be losing market share to everyone but foreigners or children with sad home lives.
My, aren't we pushing ignorant stereotypes.
Bdawg

Post by Bdawg »

Back to beastboyz99 question regarding which school to pick etc, I personally wouldn't choose wick as it can be land of helicopter parents that attend practices etc and just get too involved. The uber element there isn't for everyone.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Really wish we could talk about lacrosse on a lacrosse forum.

The right answer is....you pick the school that is right for your kid. If every kid was the same, then it would be easy, but they aren't. Each of these schools is unique. Knowing your kid and being honest about their needs, strengths, etc. and matching those with a school where your kid will gain confidence is the most important thing you can do. Just like college, don't pick a school for the bumper sticker. This isn't for you, it is for your kid.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

ctbagataway wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:12 pm Just like college, don't pick a school for the bumper sticker. This isn't for you, it is for your kid.
Hear Hear
beastboyz99

Post by beastboyz99 »

Preach that, CT. Really hoping Bury and Wick go out on top today and remain healthy for a crazy game Friday.
beastboyz99

Post by beastboyz99 »

After 1st: Wick 1 - AOF 1

AOF goalie looks really good. Wick has done a good job locking down AOF's Leo Johnson. Good game thus far.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

beastboyz99 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:49 pm After 1st: Wick 1 - AOF 1

AOF goalie looks really good. Wick has done a good job locking down AOF's Leo Johnson. Good game thus far.
Blowout for Wick. 8-1 in second.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Just took a peak and it's 8-1 to Wick in the 2nd

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”