Post by HopFan16 »

Tdemling6 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:20 am Early Potential Coaching Candidates

Navy:

Ryan Moran - Head Coach, UMBC

J.L. Reppert - Offensive Coordinator, Maryland

Harvard:

Ben DeLuca - Head Coach, Delaware

Rick Sowell - Fired at Navy
Huh? The only one on this list that makes any sense is Reppert to Navy.

Not an alum, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Polley's name gets tossed around for Harvard. Good young coach, knows the area well, has coached in the Ivy. Maybe he could convince admissions to let Chris Gray in with him. ;)
Tdemling6

Re: Coaching Carousel Post-2019 Season

Post by Tdemling6 »

Been wondering about Sean Kirwan for the Harvard job. Played and coached a few years at Tufts before goin to Brown and then went with Tiffany to Virginia. He knows that kind of a program and how to recruit. Only thing would be his age as he did just graduate from Tufts in 2012.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Tdemling6 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:13 am Been wondering about Sean Kirwan for the Harvard job. Played and coached a few years at Tufts before goin to Brown and then went with Tiffany to Virginia. He knows that kind of a program and how to recruit. Only thing would be his age as he did just graduate from Tufts in 2012.
Harvard’s choice will say a lot about how serious the school is about lacrosse.

Don’t know, but suspect Harvard did not fire their head coach to hire someone inexperienced in leading a program.

Would not be surprised if Harvard finally goes on a spending spree and works to hire a top-tier younger head coach to revitalize the program.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Did John Galloway coach at Harvard? Wouldn’t be surprised to hear his name
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

AreaLax wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:36 pm Did John Galloway coach at Harvard? Wouldn’t be surprised to hear his name
No...he did not.

Was at Providence, Adam Ghitelman coached at Harvard, another goalie from that same ear
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

AreaLax wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:36 pm Did John Galloway coach at Harvard? Wouldn’t be surprised to hear his name
He would be an excellent choice...IMHO.
LaxGuyBos

Post by LaxGuyBos »

Harvard made a huge mistake not renewing Coach Wojcik's contract. He won an Ivy title a few years ago, the players apparently loved him, young team and a top recruiting class coming in next year. Who would do a better job?
LaxGuyBos

Post by LaxGuyBos »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:07 am
Homer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:02 am Would not be at all surprised to see Harvard take a hard look at some D3 names, Jon Thompson being maybe the most obvious potential fit.
Is Harvard caught up in the practice of hiring alums only?
Tillman was not an alumni. Wojcik was the best guy for the job and happened to be an alumni.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

LaxGuyBos wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:57 pm Harvard made a huge mistake not renewing Coach Wojcik's contract. He won an Ivy title a few years ago, the players apparently loved him, young team and a top recruiting class coming in next year. Who would do a better job?
It's always hard when a good person loses a head coaching job, but Coach Wojcik did have nine years at Harvard. During that time the team only finished over .500 three times and had losing Ivy regular season records in 6 out of 9 seasons including the last three straight. On paper Harvard seemed to be drawing good talent during that time period, so ultimately I think there was a sense of that Harvard might be underachieving. That might or might not be fair/accurate, but when that sense is there, a coaching change is often the one significant change that can be made immediately. It is also fair to say that a successor might benefit from next year's squad's hard-won experience and from Coach W's recruiting class, but that is a reality of Division I coaching.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Here is a deeper look at some potential candidates for the Navy and Harvard job

https://lacrossebucket.com/2019/05/07/d ... d-harvard/

The favorites for Navy seem to still be J.L Reppert and Ryan Wellner.

For Harvard the pool is much smaller at this point but Jon Thompson and Andrew Baxter seem to be the names mentioned the most. Ryan Polley's name has also been mentioned multiple times as well.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

Baxter just got a bump in title and probably salary at Yale. Water cooler talk says that the Harvard players don't make an effort to bring the younger players into the fold. Maybe an exaggeration but "don't even know their names." Is that the coach's fault? Maybe
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

seriously? wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:24 pm Baxter just got a bump in title and probably salary at Yale. Water cooler talk says that the Harvard players don't make an effort to bring the younger players into the fold. Maybe an exaggeration but "don't even know their names." Is that the coach's fault? Maybe
Yeah Baxter will be hard to pull away from Yale, especially for Harvard. If that's true about the players it sounds like a culture change was needed and they need a culture shock to an extent. They have talent and have had talent. Just got to get it done and it starts and ends with the head coach at every single program.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Tdemling6 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:33 pm Here is a deeper look at some potential candidates for the Navy and Harvard job

https://lacrossebucket.com/2019/05/07/d ... d-harvard/

The favorites for Navy seem to still be J.L Reppert and Ryan Wellner.

For Harvard the pool is much smaller at this point but Jon Thompson and Andrew Baxter seem to be the names mentioned the most. Ryan Polley's name has also been mentioned multiple times as well.
Thanks for the link to your blog post, Tdemling6 -- interesting and well-reasoned.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Tdemling6 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:49 pm
seriously? wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:24 pm Baxter just got a bump in title and probably salary at Yale. Water cooler talk says that the Harvard players don't make an effort to bring the younger players into the fold. Maybe an exaggeration but "don't even know their names." Is that the coach's fault? Maybe
Yeah Baxter will be hard to pull away from Yale, especially for Harvard. If that's true about the players it sounds like a culture change was needed and they need a culture shock to an extent. They have talent and have had talent. Just got to get it done and it starts and ends with the head coach at every single program.
As a Yale fan I'd hate to lose Baxter but I'd love to see him get a shot at a head coaching position. I think he's got the personality and certainly the experience with Shay's "process-centered" approach to take on a big challenge (with big upside too of course).
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

What are the chances of Sowell ending up back at SBU either this year or when his contract expires at USNA?
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

thatsmell wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:33 pm What are the chances of Sowell ending up back at SBU either this year or when his contract expires at USNA?
Sowell was fired dude so that contract has long gone at Navy. Can't see Nagle being pushed out too soon after the season they just had. If they would have dropped off again this past season I would say it's very likely but not now. The one to keep an eye on IMO is Dartmouth.
jerzyjoe81

Post by jerzyjoe81 »

Iam hearing word that A name to watch at Harvard could be Ryan Wellner. Perhaps he follows the model set by two former long time Navy Assistants, Matt Hogan- UPENN and John Tillman- Harvard.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

I wonder how much consideration Thompson generated when Tiffany left Brown. If he wants a shot in D1 I hope it's not at any other Ivy.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Tdemling6 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:59 am
thatsmell wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:33 pm What are the chances of Sowell ending up back at SBU either this year or when his contract expires at USNA?
Sowell was fired dude so that contract has long gone at Navy. Can't see Nagle being pushed out too soon after the season they just had. If they would have dropped off again this past season I would say it's very likely but not now. The one to keep an eye on IMO is Dartmouth.
Not that I know about this case, but some contract buy-outs are not immediately paid out in a lump sum, but are paid as if the salary continues through the end of the contract, and the payments terminate if / when the fired person secures a new position.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

What about Dwan or Benson from Hopkins? Never see their names mentioned for openings.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”