UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GaitsRightHand

Re: UNC 2024

Post by GaitsRightHand »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:51 pm
10 10 2 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:24 pm Dan Striano looks like a solid addition to the SSDM ranks. He led Bucknell this spring with 60 ground balls. With Breschi, Hagerup, Frankenheimer, and Striano

I think you can afford to give English a lot more runs on offense.
That’s my take,

English just has too much talent.
I do not disagree, he is very skilled and talented. This was an article coming out of high school...

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/high-sch ... f-the-year

Why would you put your "perfect" 2 way middie, solely on offense? He'll get his runs on O, sure. But watching him make plays on the defensive end, off the ground, or in transition- you see where he really shines. From a coaching perspective (at least for me)- 2way is BY FAR the most valuable position.

Sometimes it seems like you guys value the offensive middie position rather than a 2way guy. Or, it's taken as a sign of disrespect to be labeled as "2way." 2way middies are on the field at all times and are known to be "all around players" ie Conners at UVA or McCahon at ND. If English plays 2way, hes on the field more. We should all be happy?
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

That is not a criticism just some context. I have no doubt he is a bright guy. Connections are critical everywhere. Not an East coast thing.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

2024 roster is out and there is one additional transfer. Brody Rule - Bryant.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

Any practice/team updates? Know about signees but interested in this season’s team assessment. Most have UNC at very bottom of ACC which hope is not correct?? Any thoughts or predictions??
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

It makes sense to place UNC last in the ACC for preseason rankings. Syracuse, the only ACC team they were competitive with last year, brings back a lot and cleaned up in the transfer portal.

Carolina has some interesting additions this year that could change the look of the stagnant offense, including a new OC. Still, it's much more of an unknown than Syracuse currently is. We will find out a lot more when they scrimmage Ohio State on Oct. 15 in Chapel Hill, and @Jacksonville on October 20th. I will hopefully be in attendance for the OSU scrimmage.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

HS class of 2025 is shaping up to be a good one for UNC. I think midfielder Luke Bair from St. Paul's definitely lives up to his #7 IL ranking. Jack Barton looks like a clone of his older brother, Paul. It's a strong class defensively. Still needs a signature attackman.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Agree about the strength of the '25 commitments to-date. Honestly, it's a bit surprising given the level of success the program has enjoyed since '16 but, as they say, the school sells itself. In addition to Bair, Anthony Raio (#10 ranked by IL) and Parker McDonald (#12 ranked by IL) have the potential to be huge difference makers.
Finish Strong
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Anyone know the time and venue for the Ohio State scrimmage?
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

I heard from a few people that the final of the scrimmage was UNC 12 - OSU 11.

UNC looked pretty solid, very good at the face off X. Defense was good, slipped a little bit in the 3rd quarter when Goode was in the net.
Offense seems to be very fundamental and clicking, got some horses in the offensive midfield.
Owen Duffy scored the first goal of the scrimmage and was being guarded all day by Van Buren (OSU #1). He should be a good one down in Chapel Hill.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

Nice to hear…..anymore details from anyone else who attended the scrimmage?
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

The score I had for the scrimmage was UNC 13-11. It was really close back and forth scoring and the reserve players didn't come in until the last couple minutes. Starting lineup was:
Attack: Duffy, McGovern, Matan, Levy (replaced McGovern in 2nd half after (I think) cramping issues)
Midfield: 1st Demarco, Preis, Egan
2nd: Levy, J. Schwarz, Deubner/Wrede/Whaling
SSDM: English, Hagerup, Frankenheimer, Striano
LSM: T. Schwarz, Morgan, Downs
FO: Tyeryar, Wambach
Defense: Thomann, Geppert, Barton, Rule(replaced Thomann in 2nd half)
Goalie: Krieg

DNP: D. Pietremala, Wellford, Tillman, Breschi, Zinsner, Prohazka, Pierce, Jordan

Anyone who predicted Owen Duffy would be "the guy" from day 1 was 100% correct. By my count he led UNC with 3G 3A. He drew the top OSU pole Van Buren and got the better of him a couple times taking him to the rack. Van Buren got the better of him a couple times as well. It was an entertaining battle between those two. Duffy is very good at splitting doubles and has a deceptively quick shot release. 8 of the 13 goals came from the attack. Matan scored 3 and Mcgovern had 2 goals, respectively.

Midfield was an interesting thing to watch for me since one could argue an entire 1st midfield line in Pietremala, Wellford, and Tillman did not play. Don't know what's up with any of them but I'm pretty sure Pietremala was in sweats on the sideline. Hopefully he's healthy for the spring. Preis and Demarco were the primary initiators from the midfield. I think Egan is still adjusting to the switch to midfield. His talent is undeniable though, and I think could benefit a lot from shortstick matchups and invert plays. Schwarz and Levy were the primary 2nd line guys with several players getting cycled in to that 3rd spot. Deubner and Wrede were the most impressive ones of those cycled in players and had a goal apiece. Whaling mostly got in during the 2nd half when Levy switched to attack.

Krieg played the first half. Goode the 3rd quarter, and Brayson "Goose" Wilson played the 4th quarter. Goode struggled a bit at times, but Wilson was really solid. He's athletic with very explosive hands, and is not prone to guessing on shots. If I had to guess based on this scrimmage alone, Wilson will be the #2 behind Krieg.

Tyeryar is the primary FO guy again this year. Wambach is a capable #2 that I think will spell Tyeryar a lot this year. He had a nice fast break goal in this scrimmage.

Looks like the 3rd spot on close defense will be a battle between Rule and Thomann. Not sure either one looked better than the other in this scrimmage. Max Cooney came in during man-down defense. Tyler Schwarz is the clear #1 LSM. I expected to see Pierce and Prohazka as the main guys behind him but neither played. Not sure whether either dressed. Cole Aasheim also got playing time at LSM in the 2nd half.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

To 10 10 2, Thanks for the details regarding last weeks OSU scrimmage……did you make the Jacksonville scrimmage? If so please fill us in and if anyone else is attending please share some comments……really appreciate the info….can’t wait for spring!
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Laxfan23 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:10 pm To 10 10 2, Thanks for the details regarding last weeks OSU scrimmage……did you make the Jacksonville scrimmage? If so please fill us in and if anyone else is attending please share some comments……really appreciate the info….can’t wait for spring!
Nope didn't make it for the Jax scrimmage. Looks like final score was UNC 14-6 though.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

Know it is only a scrimmage etc but Jacksonville was 12-4 last year and had beaten Duke. Must feel pretty good and hopeful???
Lax904

Post by Lax904 »

Wow- 8 is special! Heels looked great.
@Lax904
“Cradle to the Grave w Kerwick and Carnicelli”
Podcast- Lax Allstars
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

IL pays a visit to CH to see what's new with the Heels: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... pson/62225. The answer in short is "a lot" - and that's a good thing. Glad that Petro and Thompson have put their marks on and brought new ideas and energy to practice sessions. Given the depth at attack, Tillman and Egan have shifted to middie. I expect they'll bring some needed firepower to that group. A bit of a concern that Dom Petro has yet to fully recover from the ACL tear he suffered last fall. Hopefully Duffy will be able to ease in without major expectations given McGovern's presence. Reassuring to hear that Wambach seems ready to play a significant role.
Finish Strong
TrooperJT420

Post by TrooperJT420 »

New IL Power 100 is out. The entire Top 100 is on IL.com. Duffy is the new #1 over Millon and Kabiri.

5-Star Recruits in the Power 100
1. Owen Duffy | A | North Carolina | St. Anthony's (N.Y.)
2. McCabe Millon | A | Virginia | McDonogh (Md.)
3. Nate Kabiri | A | Princeton | Georgetown Prep (Md.)
4. Benn Johnston | M | Duke | Avon Old Farms (Conn.)
5. Leo Hoffman | M | Penn | Brunswick (Conn.)
6. AJ Marsh | D | Navy | McDonogh (Md.)
7. Matt Tully | G | Cornell | Noble & Greenough (Mass.)
8. Anderson Moore | G | Georgetown | Briarwood Christian (Ala.)
9. Willem Firth | A | Cornell | Hill Academy (Ont.)
10. Tomas Delgado | M | Duke | Brunswick (Conn.)
11. Quintan Kilrain | D | Johns Hopkins | Lawrenceville (N.J.)
12. Hunter Spiess | D | Princeton | Brunswick (Conn.)
13. Ty Banks | D | Georgetown | Western Reserve (Ohio)
14. Caleb Fyock | G | Ohio State | St. John's (D.C.)
15. Brady Wambach | FO | North Carolina | Salisbury (Conn.)
16. Mac Christmas | LSM | Duke | McDonogh (Md.)
17. Trey Deere | A | Syracuse | Salisbury (Conn.)
18. AJ Nikolic | M | Cornell | Malvern Prep (Pa.)
19. Kyle Lehman | A | Penn State | Wissahickon (Pa.)
20. Colin Burns | A | Princeton | Georgetown Prep (Md.)
21. Sean Creter | FO | Maryland | Hunterdon Central (N.J.)
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Middie Gary Merrill (St Anthony's and Team 91 LI) commits to Carolina: https://www.instagram.com/p/CzuzpX-tWQH/. This is a HUGE get for the Heels and arguably gives them a top three 2025 recruiting class on paper.
Finish Strong
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

The Petro hire might end up being more significant than even anticipated.. Seems like there is new life into the program and Merril's committment is a big one.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”