2024 Season Predictions

D1 Womens Lacrosse
MolonLaxe

Re: 2024 Season Predictions

Post by MolonLaxe »

I like some of the choices here, but we cannot honestly state that Jill Smith at Michigan has been laboring in obscurity. Maybe her freshman year, which she barely saw the field and didn’t have much going on, but not last year. She already broke some records for UM.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Johns Hopkins will finally get their first program win over the Maryland Terrapins.
That's my bold (more at hopeful) prediction.
I'll be walking on air for a few days if Hop finally steps on the turtle.

Hard charging midfielder Abbey Hurlbrink
OuttaNowhereWregget

MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:35 pm I like some of the choices here, but we cannot honestly state that Jill Smith at Michigan has been laboring in obscurity. Maybe her freshman year, which she barely saw the field and didn’t have much going on, but not last year. She already broke some records for UM.
In 19 games during just her sophomore year last season, attacker Jill Smith compiled 65 goals, 12 assists, 16 GB’s, 9 CT’s and 46 DC’s. Nothing obscure about her work. She should be even better in her junior year. She’s an imposing 5’ 8” and didn’t look to be in awe of any of the teams she competed against evidenced by her 9 goals, 2 assists, 4 ground balls and 4 draw controls in three games vs Northwestern; and 1 goal, 2 assists, 1 GB, 1 CT and 3 DC’s vs Maryland in 1 game. I expect her to continue being a going concern for the competition in '24.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

I'm torn on Clemson and i've been going back and forth. They lost lot from last year's OK team and they surpassed expectations. They will be very young and with alot unproven players but they have some real talent. I'm gonna bank on the talent and i think Kwolek is an excellent coach. They'll finish top5 in the ACC.

Who will win the National Championship?
UNC. On paper They are the deepest and most talented team. Last year at their peak they were really good, especially for a team that was in transition after loosing their championship core from the previous year. Levy has unlimited options at her disposal. I just think the Humphrey sisters push them over the edge. last year they lacked offensive fire power and really started missing JO. Wurz is good but she's not really a pure scorer. Everyone knows how high i am on Chloe Humphrey and i think she gives them that singular player to focus on offensively.

Who will win the ACC Conference Championship?: BC just because it's their turn to go on a bit of run of ACC championships after losing to UNC so often. Their offense will be one of the best in the country.

Who wins the Ivy? : PENN

Who are your Final Four?: UNCvs ND NW vs JMU

UNC vs NW the last two champions in an epic final with UNC coming out on top.

Who will win the Tewaaraton?: Scane. Unbelievable player and no one has figured a way to stop her. Until that happens, she wins.

Which teams will make noticeably great strides? (the way Denver did last year, for example.)
: Notre Dame. Alot of offensive firepower. The question is, can they stop anyone? if they manage to play even a little defense, look out. Very dangerous team.
Which players will emerge and shine who were heretofore laboring in obscurity?:
one of the Clemson transfers for sure. I'll go with Demma Hall. Coming out of high school she was really good. Unsure why she hasn't panned out but alot of talent just waiting to explode.

Or again—any predictions you might care to make—bold or otherwise.
: Chloe Humphrey will be a Teweraaton finalist.
Natalie Shurtleff will lead Clemson in scoring. MD will miss the NCAA Tournament. BC will not make the final four.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I just can't see anybody having a real shot against Northwestern because of their 1 and 2. I've never seen a team with a 1-2 punch like Izzy Scane and Erin Coykendall. I don't see anyone stopping them, or Northwestern, on their quest for number 9 in 2024.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:07 am I just can't see anybody having a real shot against Northwestern because of their 1 and 2. I've never seen a team with a 1-2 punch like Izzy Scane and Erin Coykendall. I don't see anyone stopping them, or Northwestern, on their quest for number 9 in 2024.
I'm interested in seeing what Northwestern's offense looks like next year with the addition of Mary Schumar, the DI leader in assists and assists per game, and Lindsay Frank, along with the continued growth of Madison Taylor and the return from injury of Hannah Johnson. NU is going to have two proven, highly-skilled feeders along with plenty of shooters.
OuttaNowhereWregget

ultravisitor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:49 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:07 am I just can't see anybody having a real shot against Northwestern because of their 1 and 2. I've never seen a team with a 1-2 punch like Izzy Scane and Erin Coykendall. I don't see anyone stopping them, or Northwestern, on their quest for number 9 in 2024.
I'm interested in seeing what Northwestern's offense looks like next year with the addition of Mary Schumar, the DI leader in assists and assists per game, and Lindsay Frank, along with the continued growth of Madison Taylor and the return from injury of Hannah Johnson. NU is going to have two proven, highly-skilled feeders along with plenty of shooters.
Plus year 2 of Charlie Leonard teaching the defense. And Good Golly Miss Molly in cage. The only team that will derail this team is the team itself. I just don't see it happening. But--that's why they play the games, right?
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:08 am
Plus year 2 of Charlie Leonard teaching the defense. And Good Golly Miss Molly in cage. The only team that will derail this team is the team itself. I just don't see it happening. But--that's why they play the games, right?
The biggest issue for Northwestern in recent years has been their level of belief in themselves. They have that now, and I think they proved it to everyone last year. More importantly, however, they proved it to themselves. If they can bring the same attitude to the games this season that they brought to the games last season, I think they will be very successful.

I'm also a bit interested in how the teams they faced in the quarters, semis, and finals of the NCAA tournament end up recovering from the way they ended their seasons. Not one of them--not even BC, who many people proclaimed were the hottest team heading into the tournament and were "peaking at the right time"--looked like they even deserved to be on the same field as Northwestern.
OuttaNowhereWregget

ultravisitor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:02 am The biggest issue for Northwestern in recent years has been their level of belief in themselves. They have that now, and I think they proved it to everyone last year. More importantly, however, they proved it to themselves. If they can bring the same attitude to the games this season that they brought to the games last season, I think they will be very successful.
Well said.
ultravisitor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:02 am I'm also a bit interested in how the teams they faced in the quarters, semis, and finals of the NCAA tournament end up recovering from the way they ended their seasons. Not one of them--not even BC, who many people proclaimed were the hottest team heading into the tournament and were "peaking at the right time"--looked like they even deserved to be on the same field as Northwestern.
Hadn't thought of that but it's a great item to keep an eye on as the season progresses.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

I don't see JMU in the final four as one recently posted but possibly an Elite 8 run again. They have to figure out their defensive personnel and should but they lost Durkin and Matey, two stars and lost a solid starter in Thistlewaite to injury. They do return multi year starters Pirisino and Marshall to fill the void. JMU has an exceptional culture and they have recruited well. They play with a chip on their shoulders too which has worked for them over the years. The offense should be strong again with Bella Peterson, who is a matchup nightmare and will challenge again for the Tewaaraton. They return solid starters Katelyn Morgan and super frosh Maddie Epke on attack and they get Kacey Knobloch back again who is a multi year captain, who finished second in scoring to Peterson two straight years. The midfield is solid with Marchetti and Clark and a multitude of players who will show up this spring.

Alot to like but Florida stands in the way again for the AAC. Nice, intense rivalry.
bolt75

Post by bolt75 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:06 pm Borrowing/copying Kleizaster's great idea from last year.
The questions below are merely suggestions for making predictions. Feel free to make you own, as well.

Who will win the National Championship?

Who will win the ACC Conference Championship?

Who wins the Ivy?

Who are your Final Four?

Who will win the Tewaaraton?

Which teams will make noticeably great strides? (the way Denver did last year, for example.)

Which players will emerge and shine who were heretofore laboring in obscurity?

Or again—any predictions you might care to make—bold or otherwise.
I'm not sure where to post this but has anyone done any deep dives on which coaches are doing the best job at schools that don't attract the A list talent? Who is or has found hidden talent and/or developed their players? Which programs have either made their way steadily up the rankings or taken big leaps in just a few seasons?
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

ultravisitor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:02 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:08 am
The biggest issue for Northwestern in recent years has been their level of belief in themselves. They have that now, and I think they proved it to everyone last year. More importantly, however, they proved it to themselves. If they can bring the same attitude to the games this season that they brought to the games last season, I think they will be very successful.

I'm also a bit interested in how the teams they faced in the quarters, semis, and finals of the NCAA tournament end up recovering from the way they ended their seasons. Not one of them--not even BC, who many people proclaimed were the hottest team heading into the tournament and were "peaking at the right time"--looked like they even deserved to be on the same field as Northwestern.
Asking how the final 4 teams that lost last May will respond next season, let’s remember how motivated NU was this year after their embarrassment in Baltimore. It will be very difficult for them to manufacture the same level of desire—that’s why we haven’t seen a repeat champ since 2014-15. I think the fire-in-the belly factor favors SU and BC heading into this season, with BC having the personnel to back it up.

I agree NU was the best team in 2023. But are you saying the score of the final accurately reflected the talent difference between the Wildcats and Eagles?
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

GratefulRed wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:56 pm I agree NU was the best team in 2023. But are you saying the score of the final accurately reflected the talent difference between the Wildcats and Eagles?
Not at all. If I wanted to say that, I would have said it. I said that they didn't LOOK like they deserved to be on the same field as Northwestern. I know I'm not the only person who thought that.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

So many jack offs on these forums.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:14 pm So many jack offs on these forums.
That opinion is actually coming from the BC faithful:

https://www.bcinterruption.com/2023/5/2 ... rthwestern
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

ultravisitor wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:45 pm
GratefulRed wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:56 pm I agree NU was the best team in 2023. But are you saying the score of the final accurately reflected the talent difference between the Wildcats and Eagles?
Not at all. If I wanted to say that, I would have said it. I said that they didn't LOOK like they deserved to be on the same field as Northwestern. I know I'm not the only person who thought that.
Sadly, those words are true. Bold prediction, BC won't lose to NU by 12 this season.
OuttaNowhereWregget

ultravisitor wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:45 pm they didn't LOOK like they deserved to be on the same field as Northwestern. I know I'm not the only person who thought that.
You weren't and you aren't. Loyola and Denver before them also looked like they didn't belong on the same field. The Wildcats were just that dominant.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

People forget that with decent refs, Michigan probably wins that second round game. A terrible dangerous shot call took a goal away and with it the momentum. They lost 8-7.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

laxfan9999 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:17 am People forget that with decent refs, Michigan probably wins that second round game. A terrible dangerous shot call took a goal away and with it the momentum. They lost 8-7.
I think that may be a stretch. Nothing about Michigan gives the vibe that in any normal game, they could hang with Northwestern. Yes, this was closer than the 16-8 blowout in March, but I still think NU figures out a way to beat Michigan. I've seen Michigan lead many teams and figure out perfectly good ways to blow those leads and lose games.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxfan9999 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:17 am People forget that with decent refs, Michigan probably wins that second round game. A terrible dangerous shot call took a goal away and with it the momentum. They lost 8-7.
Michigan led 6-5 at the time of the yellow card which was whistled with 2:58 left in the 3rd quarter. To say that Michigan "probably wins" the game if they had "decent refs" or if the goal was counted to make it 7-5 with 3 minutes still left in the 3rd quarter, and the entire 4th quarter yet to play is quite a reach. Every team has to deal with bad calls and subpar refs from time to time. I don't accept it as an excuse when teams lose--whether they're one of my favorite teams or not.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”